Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 PM

Default What about converting an AR or AK from semi-automatic to manual-repeater?

Hello all,

here's another legal brain-teaser for those who are (hopefully) familiar with the convoluted world of CA firearms laws:

- if I was to convert an AR or AK rifle from semi-automatic operation to manual-repeater operation, would that be legal/appropriate/compliant with CA laws?

- for example, I could do either a "reversible modification" (e.g., remove the piston from an AK) or an "irreversible modification" (e.g., weld the gas port shut on an AR or AK),

- if that was done, would the rifle then cease to legally be semi-automatic, and therefore none of the regulations/limitations pertaining to semi-automatic rifles, AWs, etc. would apply any more?
Old 12-09-2016, 4:59 AM
retired Goon

If the rifle normally operates via direct impingement, then:
A1. Remove gas tube.
A2. Remove gas block or plug the gas block.
B1. Replace barrel with one that has not been tapped for a gas system.
This makes it a straight pull bolt-action single-shot.

If the rifle normally operates via gas-piston, then:
A1. Remove gas piston.
A2. Remove gas block or plug the gas block.
B1. Replace barrel with one that has not been tapped for a gas system.
This makes it a straight pull bolt-action single-shot.

In order to not be considered a "broken" assault weapon do not store or transport the parts that would make it semi-auto together.
^In the past, there has been conviction for possessing a "broken" assault weapon (non-functional firearm with parts to make it functional stored with it).

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-09-2016, 5:50 AM

Pump action AR and AK.
Old 12-09-2016, 5:52 AM

Here's something they have in the UK that I'm surprised no one has tried here in California:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9fhEmufgbw

It keeps it from being a semi-auto by needing another lever to drop the bolt after each shot.
Old 12-09-2016, 6:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinDls View Post
Here's something they have in the UK that I'm surprised no one has tried here in California:

It keeps it from being a semi-auto by needing another lever to drop the bolt after each shot.
Just saw that video, I would much rather have that type of rifle than have a straight pull bolt action AR.
Old 12-09-2016, 6:44 AM

It's funny thing, a friend had the 9mm pistol cal version of that gun and its great. the 223 version a bit pricey in the uk. Robinson Arms were supposed to be teamed up with a company called Lodock to make a uk version similar of the XCR but news has died down a bit, I reckoned at the time that alot of companies were primed for a Hillary campaign as companies like Smith and Wesson, Ruger, CZ, etc were suddenly either dropping stuff for places like Canada and focusing on US orders, the situation won't likely be back to normal until after the new year I can bet.

The Robinson version (I was attracted as it was cheaper than the SGC 223 system but I waited that long that I sorted out my VZ58 MARS with the magwedge rail to make it work better and actually hold zero with an optic ala the Vortex spitfire).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcswcE8YVXU

308 version, twas 3 months ago the last mention, they were also working on a better lever release to make it work like the SGC system but ambi. The guns were shown at IWA as "self-opening actions". I'm surprised no one in the US is offering to get some built and scratch SGC's back by making a load that could also make uk prices cheaper as well.

To think, in the uk we've made better solutions to US ban state AWB's than what some US gun builders have, its a crazy state of affairs.
Old 12-09-2016, 7:33 AM

Then you don't have an AR or AK
Old 12-09-2016, 9:21 PM

Those are good suggestions, Quiet. But is Step # B1 really necessary? That would require me to buy a completely new barrel for every AR and AK that I own, and then pay a gunsmith to install all the new barrels... a very costly and time-consuming effort, especially for AKs. And it's questionable if the new barrels would ever fit the same as the original ones (AKs).

Wouldn't it suffice to plug/weld the gas port? That feature by itself would prevent the rifle from functioning as a semiautomatic.

The analogy I see is that of the "featureless" modifications--it's sufficient to simply screw on, attach, and/or pin a muzzle brake, grip wrap, and collapsible stock, respectively, to make a rifle featureless. It's not necessary to buy a new barrel, extended pistol grip, or a fixed stock in order to be featureless...

Am I missing something?
Old 12-10-2016, 5:35 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBUNM View Post
Those are good suggestions, Quiet. But is Step # B1 really necessary? That would require me to buy a completely new barrel for every AR and AK that I own, and then pay a gunsmith to install all the new barrels... a very costly and time-consuming effort, especially for AKs. And it's questionable if the new barrels would ever fit the same as the original ones (AKs).

Wouldn't it suffice to plug/weld the gas port? That feature by itself would prevent the rifle from functioning as a semiautomatic.

The analogy I see is that of the "featureless" modifications--it's sufficient to simply screw on, attach, and/or pin a muzzle brake, grip wrap, and collapsible stock, respectively, to make a rifle featureless. It's not necessary to buy a new barrel, extended pistol grip, or a fixed stock in order to be featureless...

Am I missing something?
Probably wasn't clear.
Option B is separate from Option A.
Do all of Option A or just do Option B.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-10-2016, 10:40 AM

Thank you for the clarification, Quiet. That makes total sense. I agree!
Old 12-10-2016, 2:57 PM

I made one AR into a pump. I used a solid rod in place of the gas tube to actuate the bolt.
Old 12-10-2016, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinDls View Post

I like that idea.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 12-10-2016, 3:12 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUM View Post
I made one AR into a pump. I used a solid rod in place of the gas tube to actuate the bolt.
CRTguns was offering a pump action conversion kit that did similar:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=922532

-- Michael