Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Did you know CA had a state militia?

I was reading an article on thetruthaboutguns.com about AZ now has a state militia. As I was reading the article it said that AZ now joins 23 other states with a militia. CA being one of them. In one of the comments made they had a link to the offical website of the CA militia.

California State Military Reserve (CSMR)
Www.calguard.ca.gov

I was surprised to hear our state has one.

I hope they are not issued top loading AR's or Airsoft rifles.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They're not armed or paid, I think.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian777 View Post
...Don't pick either side....
Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

The website didn't provide much info
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 PM

Army reserves otherwise put "California National Guard"
Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzcolt View Post
I was reading an article on thetruthaboutguns.com about AZ now has a state militia. As I was reading the article it said that AZ now joins 23 other states with a militia. CA being one of them. In one of the comments made they had a link to the offical website of the CA militia.
CCR told us about those guys; better call them.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 05-08-2013, 6:27 AM
Veteran Member

Smile

shouldn't a STATE guard remain in said state?

not be sent to other countries?

is that not what the federal "army" is all about?

note:
...only listed army as stated in the constitution. but includes all of the services.

many thanks to those who have served.

Old 05-08-2013, 6:38 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
They're not armed or paid, I think.
This is correct.

They are unarmed, rules & regulations prohibits them from being armed, except in times of emergency when marshal law is in effect and during which the arms will be provided by the State.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 05-08-2013 at 6:41 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
This is correct.

They are unarmed, rules & regulations prohibits them from being armed, except in times of emergency when marshal law is in effect and during which the arms will be provided by the State.

This is not entirely true...we have armed security in the SMR and we are paid when activated by the state.

If you have any questions we have a few recruiters here on CGN or you can PM me.

Last edited by guns4life; 05-08-2013 at 7:00 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 7:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaeger31 View Post
Army reserves otherwise put "California National Guard"
No, this in neither the Army National Guard, nor the Army Reserves.

This is specifically the California State Military Reserve.

It is 100% under the exclusive control of the Governor of California, and unlike the Guard or Reserves, cannot be activated by the Federal Government as it has no affiliation to the Federal Government.

It is a 100% volunteer force that under the direction of the Governor, can augment the Guard during state controlled operations when the Guard is not available.

The California State Military Reserve (CSMR) is the State Defense Force of California authorized by United States Code (32 USC 109c) and the California Military and Veteran’s Code (CM&VC 550).

The mission of the California State Military Reserve is to provide an adequately trained and organized State military reserve force under the exclusive control of the Governor. The CSMR is meant to be capable of accomplishing those State emergency responsibilities normally assigned to the National Guard, when the Guard is federalized or otherwise not available.

In addition, the CSMR performs such military duties as the Governor directs within the parameters of applicable federal and state law. Typically those additional military duties include assisting civil authorities during domestic emergencies and assisting in the mobilization and demobilization process of the National Guard.

The CSMR is a volunteer operational force upon which the California National Guard depends. Its members are subject to call to state active duty by the Governor of the State of California.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 05-08-2013, 7:12 AM
Banned

They're at the local so-cal gun shows. I guess if you've got nothing better to do.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:20 AM

Were all members of the Militia. I don't need to sign up for anything to be a citizen soldier as intended by our Constitution.

Besides ammo, I do need ammo. Forget being under the Gov's control either. In a state of emergency, California Emergency Services Act prohibits police or natl guard from taking my weapons. No martial law out here. Thanks, Schwarzenegger.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofojoe View Post
They're at the local so-cal gun shows. I guess if you've got nothing better to do.
being 100% volunteer, they need people.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
being 100% volunteer, they need people.

Yes, we do need QUALIFIED people with or without prior service experience. There are height/weight standards, commitment expectations and you have to be able to afford your own gear. If you can get past those minor inconveniences you should be good to go.

Old 05-08-2013, 1:17 PM

Define QUALIFIED and commitments, please.

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory, I love only that which they defend."-J.R.R. Tolkein
Old 05-08-2013, 1:23 PM

http://cal-militia.com/
That's the California militia. It's constitutional, and we train to support their community when called on by congress. We train only to be called on by congress, uphold the law, repel invaders, and stop insurrection.
We don't train to be a paramilitary terrorist group like so many people think.
The people who try to do that in the militia are kicked the eff out.
Also, its fun to be tacticool on occasion.
Old 05-08-2013, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
Define QUALIFIED and commitments, please.

You'd need to be able to pass a background check/livescan, medical and be a team player basically. You'll need to serve at least one day per month, typically a Saturday, although there are opportunities to put it a lot more than that.

Here, SMR megathread....be warned, there are some bags O' d in that thread, you should take what they say with a grain of salt.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=241886

Old 05-08-2013, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofojoe View Post
Just a heads up...

There is a group calling themselves the Southern California State Militia (SCSM). These are usually the guys at the gun shows. Look for old guys in ACU.

These guys (SCSM) are NOT in any way, shape or form sanctioned or otherwise an official militia for the state of California, nor are they affiliated with the California State Military Reserve (CSMR).

Be careful of who you're talking to or who you're talking about.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
Just a heads up...

There is a group calling themselves the Southern California State Militia (SCSM). These are usually the guys at the gun shows. Look for old guys in ACU.

These guys (SCSM) are NOT in any way, shape or form sanctioned or otherwise an official militia for the state of California, nor are they affiliated with the California State Military Reserve (CSMR).

I had forgotten about those guys for a second there...

Old 05-10-2013, 4:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Just a heads up...

Yes. They are not the militia for the state of California. They are of the people, by the people.

There is a Norcal version NCSM (and it isn't a bunch of old guys - neither is SCSM).

California Militiary and Veterans Code

Quote:
121. The unorganized militia consists of all persons liable to
service in the militia, but not members of the National Guard, the
State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Old 05-10-2013, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just a heads up...

For anyone who is not sure if you're talking to someone from the actual CSMR oranother militia group, just ask if they're Smurfs. If they get pissed at you - then they're CSMR. If they look at you like you're weird, they're not. Years ago I was good friends with a guy who was an SGM in the CSMR. ANytime I wnated a good throw down I'd call him a smurf. I usually got my arse handed to me though.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Yes. They are not the militia for the state of
California. They are of the people, by the people.

There is a Norcal version NCSM (and it isn't a bunch of old guys - neither is SCSM).

At the gun shows, there are usually members of the SCSM handing out business cards and other "recruiting material". They are always old guys in full ACU. My father, who recently joined their group, is also an old guy and wears full ACU as a result (for their "gatherings" in the desert).

There have been multiple threads on militia's and in particular the SCSM. It's important to know who exactly you're talking to or discussing, because they can be easily mistaken for another group. That's all I've got to say on the topic. Carry on.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM
In Memoriam

so Jerry Brown says jump, and I say how high?
Old 05-10-2013, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
so Jerry Brown says jump, and I say how high?

If by "jump" you mean "embed yourselves with the xxth battalion and collect pay while assisting in this emergency", yes.

Or by "jump" you mean "spend a few days at Fort Xxxx and assist the guard with their M4/M9/Mark 19/.50/hand grenade qualifications, yes as well.

Lastly, if by "jump" you meant "give your souls to jesus because your *** belongs to me", no...I am a volunteer with the freedom to quit if/when I choose.

Last edited by guns4life; 05-10-2013 at 1:53 PM..
Old 05-10-2013, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting....
Old 05-11-2013, 5:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes. They are not the militia for the state of California. They are of the people, by the people.

Lmao! Now that's entertainment!
Old 05-11-2013, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post

It is 100% under the exclusive control of the Governor of California, and unlike the Guard or Reserves, cannot be activated by the Federal Government as it has no affiliation to the Federal Government.

It is a 100% volunteer force that under the direction of the Governor, can augment the Guard during state controlled operations when the Guard is not available.

The California State Military Reserve (CSMR) is the State Defense Force of California authorized by United States Code (32 USC 109c) and the California Military and Veteran’s Code (CM&VC 550).

The mission of the California State Military Reserve is to provide an adequately trained and organized State military reserve force under the exclusive control of the Governor. The CSMR is meant to be capable of accomplishing those State emergency responsibilities normally assigned to the National Guard, when the Guard is federalized or otherwise not available.

In addition, the CSMR performs such military duties as the Governor directs within the parameters of applicable federal and state law. Typically those additional military duties include assisting civil authorities during domestic emergencies and assisting in the mobilization and demobilization process of the National Guard.

The CSMR is a volunteer operational force upon which the California National Guard depends. Its members are subject to call to state active duty by the Governor of the State of California.
Very interesting. Thanks for the information. Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 05-30-2013, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

We have a VERY active state militia, and I spent two years with the recruiting task force. For the last three years I've worked as a combat arms instructor for a local Air Guard unit. If you have some free time, and a few free dollars to put towards it, you can find it to be a very rewarding experience. We're a small force, comparatively, but we fulfill a vital role to the state Military Department. We do everything from admin work, to medical, IT, engineering, and security (armed).
Old 05-30-2013, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4life View Post
This is not entirely true...we have armed security in the SMR and we are paid when activated by the state.

If you have any questions we have a few recruiters here on CGN or you can PM me.
Looking at your location... you are WELL paid
Old 06-03-2013, 1:20 AM

I was actually looking to join the SCSM but finding it difficult with the current economic strain on my family. Not to mention that the wife isn’t too keen on me going out and playing soldier boy. LoL
Old 06-03-2013, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post

I rather be Blackwater contractor/mercenary than serve the Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia. Worst you take an oath to this pathetic state and serve the kooks and weirdos that you depises. Not bring under the control of the CA govenor was the main reason I went reserve and not National Guard after college.
Old 06-03-2013, 6:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire raeb View Post
I rather be Blackwater contractor/mercenary than serve the Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia. Worst you take an oath to this pathetic state and serve the kooks and weirdos that you depises. Not bring under the control of the CA govenor was the main reason I went reserve and not National Guard after college.
We serve for the kooks and weirdos like you who may some day need us...and we don't despise you at all. \

Oh, and a "cool story bro"

Old 06-03-2013, 7:07 AM

Quote:

Why the epic music? That made the video so comical, corny and lame...
They really need some volunteers that understand media. That music was sooo bad.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Feel free and do your part/volunteer! We don't have the resources that the .gov does (taxes of the American citizen). If you believe that a people's (not government) militia is necessary for its liberties, do something to help grow volunteers.

I agree though. Could have been much better.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms