Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-04-2017, 6:41 PM

Default Looking for a press

In need of a press for reloading looking into the Redding t7 used in good working condfition

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 9:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Well since this is a DISCUSSION FORUM and NOT A WTB/WTS forum, I guess you came here to discuss why you want a T-7 instead of any other presses. Oh, Please do not post things in the forums while you are acting like a zombie on your phone and walking into things. You clearly need MORE ATTENTION to what you are doing and you appear to only have enough attention to give to ONE thing at a time...

So why do you want a T-7?

Have you even seen the RCBS turret? It TOO is green...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...
Old 08-05-2017, 6:26 AM

Depending on what you want to reload , how many calibers and how deep your pockets are .
For pistol reloading , my Lee load master works OK , but I would like one more station .
Right now it is good for rifle cases . They - rifle cases go on press twice - once for lubing / sizing - then they get cleaned again and back on for reloading .
Pistol cases can be done in one round , but I decap and cap off press .
Unless you are getting a really good deal [ like free ] I would look at a single stage to start with .
The price of press is just the starting price .
Die sets come in 2 , 3 and 4 die set . [ the lee hand load in one set but not really a die . ]
Having a place for 7 dies - what are you planning on putting in the tool holes ?
Old 08-05-2017, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

You do not want a Redding. You need something simple since you have proven you cannot follow directions. I would not want you to hurt yourself or someone near you with what you would make on that press.
I think lee makes a hand loader more suited for you or better yet just buy factory ammo.

Now if you want to DISCUSS the merits of the Redding over other presses or if you even need a turret press then this is where you want to post. Also if you have questions about HOW to reload this is the place to be.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:15 AM

You guys are brutal to the new guy , why ? This may be his very first time ever posting in a forum like this and he may not know there's a sub forum inside this one for buying and selling .

Then there's the idea that as stilly points out , He may be just asking what we think of the T7 .

The guy writes one sentence and some how you can judge everything about him . Oh and tell him how stupid he is behind the comfort of your keyboard .

Not even a welcome to calguns . Hmm , I just can't see how calguns gets such a bad rap

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

If you have the time check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE or a picture of Mohamed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VwpwP_fIqY

Last edited by Metal God; 08-05-2017 at 10:20 AM..
Old 08-05-2017, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You know, I was thinking of this some time ago.

Who has a Redding T-7 and can point out the negative features of it?

What things are good and what is their limitation?

And remember- When you see somebody crying, go up to them and ask if it's because of their haircut...
Old 08-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Who has a Redding T-7 and can point out the negative features of it?

What things are good and what is their limitation?
I have a T-7. I regard the only negative features as being an inability to use Hornady Lock-and-Load bushings, which are, I must admit, pretty slick; they'd be nice to have. Additionally, the first time you remove the turret head, the strength of The Hulk will need to be employed.

Other that that, and those are admittedly a bit of a reach, it's hard to come up with anything negative; it's quite a nice press, strong, well designed, a pleasure to use.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 AM

I can tell you one thing that may be an issue for some , press deflection . I helped a guy out that was getting inconsistent CHS ( case head space ) which is the measurement from head to datum point .

What was happening was he had the die adjusted to where it just contacted the shell holder when the ram was up . How ever when he actually sized a case there was now a gap . I recommended he try some Redding competition shell holders which did solve the problem .

If the OP would like I can talk more on this subject but it's a more advanced thing to be concerned about and a new reloader need not worry about it unless you are starting out loading for long range precision shooting .

The other con and this is just me , is I don't like any press that does not auto index ( when applicable ). I'd rather have the press move from station to station it's self then leaving that up to me . I just feel that introduces the possibility of the human error element that need not be there . YMMV

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

If you have the time check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyGK6k6HE or a picture of Mohamed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VwpwP_fIqY

Last edited by Metal God; 08-05-2017 at 3:49 PM..
Old 08-05-2017, 8:56 PM

Get a lee turret and carry on
Old 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM

^^^ This...
But start with the single stage Breech Reloader press first. Learn the basics and get used to methodically and consistently reloading precision ammunition (beginning with the indicated starting charges). Then, when you upgrade to the Classic Turret press, you can dedicate your Breech Reloader to decapping, or whatever you wish.
Read multiple manuals (the more the better). Because a bullet is a small bomb, you are setting off, inch's from your face.

Think about that.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal God View Post
I can tell you one thing that may be an issue for some , press deflection . I helped a guy out that was getting inconsistent CHS ( case head space ) which is the measurement from head to datum point .

What was happening was he had the die adjusted to where it just contacted the shell holder when the ram was up . How ever when he actually sized a case there was now a gap . I recommended he try some Redding competition shell holders which did solve the problem .

If the OP would like I can talk more on this subject but it's a more advanced thing to be concerned about and a new reloader need not worry about it unless you are starting out loading for long range precision shooting .

The other con and this is just me , is I don't like any press that does not auto index ( when applicable ). I'd rather have the press move from station to station it's self then leaving that up to me . I just feel that introduces the possibility of the human error element that need not be there . YMMV
Why is this a problem on the T-7 and not on any other presses? I know that SOMEtimes the competition shell holders are "fixes" for some things, but this makes no sense to me. If the shell holder does not move, only is taller or shorter depending on which one you get, why not just screw down the die a little more instead?

Old 08-06-2017, 6:48 AM

I don't think Lee makes competition shell holders .
I am one of the people that likes having spare and have found some plates are loser and some are tighter .
Yes , I know some people weight for some thing to break / wear out before getting a spare / replacement .
That kind of thinking will start to change in 2018 .
Old 08-06-2017, 8:01 AM

It's a problem on many presses , some more then others . In general the "C" type open faced press will have more flex/deflection then "O" type or closed face presses do . There is also the fact a turret press has tolerances ( a gap between the tool head and press body ) that allows the head to turn. When adjusting the die you may need to adjust it in a way that compensates for those tolerances . Also how far those open faced presses cantilever out will have an effect on flex/deflection . Then there's the linkage in the press arm that will flex as well . All of those things "can" compound the issue . Depending on the press you have and how many of those compounding issues it has likely will determine how much press deflection you have .

Now this is just general information on presses . I'm not going to get into quality/strength of metals or girth/mass that helps prevent these things . Every press is different and some have more deflection then others . Then there's the type and size of the case you are sizing as well as type of lube you use that comes into play . A 300 win mag will cause a press to deflect more then a 223 simply by the force it takes to size them respectively .

Here is an example of just the linkage deflecting on a "O" ring type press .

This is the die adjusted to where it just barely makes contact with the shell holder when the ram is up .

Here is that same set up when I'm actually sizing a 308 LC case

I don't remember off hand how large that gap was but if you can easily see it it's much bigger then just a couple thousandths .

The easy fix to this issue is to screw the die down another 1/4 turn so the die and shell holder make hard contact . If any would like we can even go deeper into this as to why you may need and or want the die adjusted off the shell holder .

For now I hope I answered the question posed . All presses have some deflection . How much depends on many factors .

Last edited by Metal God; 08-06-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Old 08-06-2017, 10:09 AM

Metal God -
not something I even considered .
When people post - I can do um-t-um cartridges an hour - I just dismiss it .
On rifle rounds , decap , resize , - one tool head . Then clean and recap . Next - different tool head for reloading .
Old 08-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Tonyjr : A lot of reloaders don't think about it and most don't even need to worry about it . This is why I brought up that the OP need not worry about it because it's a more advanced technique to worry about when sizing bottle neck cases . Press deflection has very little to no effect on straight walled cases .

I'd also like to be clear that I'm not saying any press is better then another or that a reloader should use Redding competition shell holders . I was just asked a question and I'm trying to answer it fully , nothing more nothing less .

Nothing I hate more then one line answers with no context or explanation how they came to that conclusion . Like , I've been doing it for years you're GTG . How many times in life have we been doing something for years only to find there's a better way or what we were doing was flat out wrong . Please elaborate how this is GTG . The fact you've not killed your self yet is not good enough for me . Now if you weren't a stranger on the internet and someone like a best friend or other person I know and trust there opinions . Then I might except your GTG but since I don't know you , You will need to convince me a little more before I run with your advice .

This is why my post tend to be long winded . I believe I should do the same for you . Could you imagine if I just wrote one sentence like "the T7 will produce inconsistent ammo" with no context . We all know that you can produce consistent ammo on virtually any press you use . Hell you can produce VERY inconsistent ammo on even the best of presses so context is important .

EDIT : just thought of something my long windedness did not state clearly When using the word "you" above . I'm not speaking to or of any specific poster here in this thread . I'm using it in a general context while referring to "some" people who post on internet forums in general .

Last edited by Metal God; 08-08-2017 at 5:45 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 1:00 PM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If the shell holder does not move, only is taller or shorter depending on which one you get, why not just screw down the die a little more instead?
Stilly, in my case, it's the other direction; when the die is nicely squared up against the standard shell holder, my full-length die sizes the brass about 7 thou under SAAMI minimum, and that's shorter than I'd like.

I'd rather not back the die out. With the competition shell holder, I can just reduce the bump by 6 thou and end up 1 thou under.
Old 08-06-2017, 2:33 PM

In my case , I have a Lee load master .
If I use one of the shell plates for the 50 A E , the pills want to cock . The other one is fine . Both work well / good on the 44 mag .
Since I hand place the 44 and 50 [ some times even the 357 and 45 pills ] because they just get top heavy , don't like the colander [ the pills ] having to shake the case tubes , it is easier and faster to just hand place .
I kind of think like you - explain it and after people can say " I knew that " instead of nobody told me or what does that mean .
Old 08-06-2017, 3:58 PM

bazineta explained it well and I'd like to add to that .

If you screw your die down enough to have hard contact with "a" shell holder with cam over if applicable . Keeping in mind I'm talking about presses that use shell holders like single stage and turret presses . That will remove all press deflection .

If I have hard contact with die and standard shell holder . That will size my cases about .006 shorter from head to datum point then I want . In that case I use the #6 competition shell holder allowing my die and shell holder to still make that hard contact while at the same time sizing the case .006 longer from head to datum point . When set up properly my cases come out +/- .0005 from one another . If I'm looking to size the case to 1.630 they are no shorter then 1.6295 and no longer then 1.6305 . Before using the comp shell holders I would have a swing as much as +/- .0025 . That's not good when you only want to bump the shoulder .002 because sometimes they don't bump at all

Last edited by Metal God; 08-07-2017 at 5:45 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

I love my T-7. Holds 2-3 calibers in 1 toolhead so dies stay adjusted. I batch process on it, but will go back to a previous die to fix a booboo midstream. The integrity of a single-stage but the convenience of changing dies on the fly.

It's priming system leaves a bit to be desired, so I prime on a stand alone RCBS priming tool or a Lee Auto-prime II on the press.

No need to feel you HAVE to batch process all your brass at one time. Have 1000 pcs? Wanna load up 250? After that 250 you decide another 250 would be a good thing? Just rotate the tool head back to square one. On the single stage I would usually prime and bell the 1000. Then drop powder and pills sometime down the road in smaller lots.

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 08-06-2017 at 8:23 PM..
Old 08-06-2017, 6:00 PM

I wanted [ still do - but can not afford ] because kind of anal about reloading .
One die for decapping , 1 for sizing , 1 for belling , one for bumping shoulder
Not a big fan of one size fits all .
On bottle necks , I use 2 tool heads - one for prepping [ then cleaning brass lube off ] and then change head for dropping powder . pills , OAL , crimping .
Lee's priming system sucks too .
Old 08-06-2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Well since this is a DISCUSSION FORUM and NOT A WTB/WTS forum, I guess you came here to discuss why you want a T-7 instead of any other presses. Oh, Please do not post things in the forums while you are acting like a zombie on your phone and walking into things. You clearly need MORE ATTENTION to what you are doing and you appear to only have enough attention to give to ONE thing at a time...

So why do you want a T-7?

Have you even seen the RCBS turret? It TOO is green...
LOL Stilly..... LOL I just cant even LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
You do not want a Redding. You need something simple since you have proven you cannot follow directions. I would not want you to hurt yourself or someone near you with what you would make on that press.
I think lee makes a hand loader more suited for you or better yet just buy factory ammo.

Now if you want to DISCUSS the merits of the Redding over other presses or if you even need a turret press then this is where you want to post. Also if you have questions about HOW to reload this is the place to be.
I love it, brutal...

TO THE OP:

Bud, you need to me a little more clear about what it is that you are asking for. I know it probably seems like people are being mean to you but... I want you to think very hard about this. If you mess up a little in this hobby you damage your firearm, if you mess up bad, you or anyone with the misfortune of standing near you, or using your ammo can get hurt or even killed. So if you are going to step into this world, before you even consider buying a press you need to consider if you are able to come at it with the serious mindedness and attention to detail that is needed to do this safely.

For you specifically I am going to suggest a single stage press, get your bearings, learn the fundimentals and if after a few hundred safely loaded rounds you still feel like this is something you want to continue with, then move onto a more advanced press... Ive been reloading two years and I only just very recently stepped into a progressive press... lotta stuff going on, lots of moving parts that need your attention, and you need to know what to do with them or you are going to end up angry, out money and no longer interested.....or worse.
Old 08-07-2017, 1:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My only open faced press is the Spartan that I am currently running but I am tired of it already because it sits the shells at an angle and makes it a pita to decap. BUT all I do is decap with the press so I live with it. Oh, I also size my pills too. But I have not really loaded anything on it. I will have a look at that next time I am out there.

Another thing about cam-over is that I THOUGHT that with carbide dies that you should not cam-over or you could crack the rings. Okay so that makes sense, it is a back and forth game possibly.

Good photos. Makes a LITTLE more sense now as to why you would do that. For my applications though it does not matter at this point since I only want to resize ammos on the workhorse press. Maybe I should move the JRRC back on.

Thank you for the info.

Old 08-07-2017, 6:12 PM

I have a T7. It is the only press I have used and I have been happy with it going on 2 years now. I use it for pistol and rifle. Changing dies on a single stage would have driven me nuts after a couple of reloading sessions. Take your time, understand the process and you will be happy. I suggest running your first couple of rounds without a primer or powder and check your measurements. You will quickly get the hang of it. I also use the Redding primer system. It took some effort to work the bugs out which mostly consisted of adjustment and operator problems. I typically seat 98-99% of primers without issue. The T7 is a good product. The primer system could probably be better but suits my needs fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2017, 8:03 PM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor

While I did buy the 100-primer tube system for my T7, I don't use it now. It works fine; there's nothing wrong with it. However, to take a page from Stilly here, I've come to think that Lee had some important things to say about primers, and I've since grown hesitant to stack 100 of them in a tube.

I prime using a hand primer from 21st Century, but that's just me. I think a sane individual would look at the new Lee priming options instead. That 21st Century tool though -- nicely made.
Old 08-08-2017, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

A Redding T7 is a fine machine. You and your grandkids will be using that machine without fail. A T7 might cost more to buy but would cost less to own as compared to a Lee Press over a period of 20 years of hard everyday work.

The reality of the reloading situation is that one day soon you will belly-up to the counter and lay down twice the amount of money on reloading components as you did on press acquisition. So you might as well spend your money on quality.

Sorry guys, I just don't see the quality of any Lee Press to be on par with Redding's presses.
Old 08-08-2017, 6:40 PM

hambam105
I don't agree .
Maybe , if you only load a pistol and rifle - but in my case , I load 15 calibers .
I have 22 tool heads [ one spare and just ordered 2 more . ]
Granted , I might get by with less tool heads with 7 die holes , but that would only help on bottle necks .
Don't get wrong Idea - when I bought the Lee it was the only press they had that took 4 or more dies and it was an open box return .
At that time Lee was the only one who had carbide die for my 50 AE [ Lee had a special run of them ] Right now you have to special order the 50 AE dies from redding .
Redding , Dillon and other press makers know what their press can handle .
Go to there web sites and look for dies for the 17 , 25 ACP , 41 mag , 50 AE . Then write down I won't buy there calibers because I can't reload .
And yes if I can break it or wear it out , I probably have on loadmaster .
Old 08-11-2017, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Tonyjr,

On your past advise, I've decided to buy some Lee presses to prove myself wrong about my above post. Now that is a weird sentence.

There are just too many experienced rifle shooters out there that use Lee so I'm just going to have try it myself. My 1978 Rock Chucker and Dillion 450 have never let me down. So it's not the equipment that is changing rather it's me that is changing and I just want to try out a new press.
Old 08-12-2017, 5:56 AM

I hope you realize we are taking CHEVY , FORD and DODGE .
I would say 95% of time it is cheaper to buy Lee .
But the 80% of my relatives prefer stick shifts to Autos . Lee's primer system sucks [ but from what has been posted , others are not much better . ]
My biggest complaint is only 5 dies in the load master . For pistols - one or 2 more would be nice . rifles [ bottle necks ] , so far 5 is enough .
I deprime and prime by hand .
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjr View Post
I hope you realize we are taking CHEVY , FORD and DODGE .
I would say 95% of time it is cheaper to buy Lee .
But the 80% of my relatives prefer stick shifts to Autos . Lee's primer system sucks [ but from what has been posted , others are not much better . ]
My biggest complaint is only 5 dies in the load master . For pistols - one or 2 more would be nice . rifles [ bottle necks ] , so far 5 is enough .
I deprime and prime by hand .
That is the secret to the Loadmaster. If you remove the priming of CERTAIN calibers from it, then it can run flawlessly and for the price you pay for the thing, well, it sure DID put a smile on my face all of the way through all 10k 9mm rounds when it was running great...

I only primed 9mm though, I am now gearing up to do 1k .44 mag, 1k .40 and 10k 9mm again.

Hey that reminds me. Where has Cowboy gone to?

Is he still around?

Old 08-12-2017, 11:36 AM

On the 44 and 50 AE , I had place the shell casings and bullets [ pills ] . They get to heavy . The 50 AE , neither want to fit easily . I also dip the pills in ground mica . It [ ground mica ] dirty ups the tubes and rubs off .
Sometimes I hand feed the 45 ACP . This is when the cases have not been annealed after 5 reloads , start splitting or range pick-ups .
I also use a bungie cord [ the little black ones in the package of 10-15 @ harbor freight . ] around the tubes / press and rubber bands about 1/2 down the colander .
Most of the lee people know this , but some might not .
Old 08-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

I prime off the Dillion, but I do not intend to prime off any other press. I wore-out half dozen of the hand Lee thing-a-jig. Either the pot metal body would give or the plastic primer cup would sheet the bed.

Bought a used RCBS bench mounted primer that works great. And I bought an expensive one-at-a-time hand primer, brand name escapes me, similar to Sinclair but not.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
I prime off the Dillion, but I do not intend to prime off any other press. I wore-out half dozen of the hand Lee thing-a-jig. Either the pot metal body would give or the plastic primer cup would sheet the bed.
That's always been the problem with Lee equipment. They have some very good ideas but they use crap materials to put them together so they break constantly.
Still love my turret press though...
Old 08-13-2017, 1:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjr View Post
On the 44 and 50 AE , I had place the shell casings and bullets [ pills ] . They get to heavy . The 50 AE , neither want to fit easily . I also dip the pills in ground mica . It [ ground mica ] dirty ups the tubes and rubs off .
Sometimes I hand feed the 45 ACP . This is when the cases have not been annealed after 5 reloads , start splitting or range pick-ups .
I also use a bungie cord [ the little black ones in the package of 10-15 @ harbor freight . ] around the tubes / press and rubber bands about 1/2 down the colander .
Most of the lee people know this , but some might not .
https://www.titanreloading.com/titan...n-tube-harness

Because it looks WAY better than rubber bands or bungees...

Old 08-13-2017, 7:43 AM

My Lee o-frame I got in college is still serving me well. I have acquired more equipment over the years, but the press is still running strong.
Old 08-13-2017, 8:05 AM

Thanks , I have been meaning to order another 8
I use wooden dowels in center .
The rubber bands and bungie cords are to keep tubes from bending and seem to transfer vibrations to tubes [ I shake tubes less - @least it seems that way ] I tried pipe cleaners - I did not like .
I bought 4 of the spacer things . I destroyed 2 tubes trying to seperate .
They do help if placed at the top by colander and at the bottom by pill and shell placer [ to place tubes ] . But I used cotter pins to hold bullets - I changed to duplex nails [ cut down / keep bullets in tubes ] I load up tubes ahead of time . Using the nails cuts down on number of pills , but I don't fill to top any way .
Yes , I know you should be able to just dump pills / casing into collander and go by shaking . If it works for you great - I get upside down pills and cases . For me it is quicker to load tubes before hand .
If anyone has read a few of my posts and remember - I have 6 nephews and 2 nieces that reload here . That many people [ they all seldom show up at same time ] There is plenty for others to do .
From decapping [ I generally do ahead of time except the bottle necks - single stage time ] , cleaning guns , setting powder drop / dies .
Old 08-13-2017, 8:31 AM

Thanks again , I ordered another 8 [ only 12 dollars for shipping . ]
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, I know. Your house is WAY busy man. Aint no way I could survive all that. I imagine your Thanksgivings are all about coming together and being thankful for whatever components yall were able to find on the shelves and then outside for a friendly game of football and let's-make-another-2k-rds...

Old 08-13-2017, 2:49 PM

Major holidays , just me , wife and one brother . The nephews /nieces are / go to their family [ mothers ] home .
Yesterday was one of my nephews wife's parents 50th . Anyway - Guns came up and then 5 or 6 disappeared - they were at house when I got home .
All the 308's and 45's that were prepped were done and they were working on Decapping more 308's [ one of them went home and brought more MT's .
I may have picked up 2 more reloaders - Eric said he and Jose would be back today with some 9 mm cases .
Old 08-14-2017, 12:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

LoLz.

If they were not afraid of my garage, folks that make it in and are waiting for me are just standing around talking waiting for me to get in and run the show. But that has only happened once. Now they just stay out.