Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-02-2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
No, only if they were built from 80%

[/B]

the part in bold references firearms that have serials numbers issued by a licensed manufacture such as aero precision or Anderson
Just a quick note on that: While otherwise correct, 29181(a) from AB857 doesn't quite work that way now based off of the regulations promulgated from it by CA DoJ. They're not on Westlaw yet (They'll be Chapter 41 when added), but they were finalized and approved:
https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1523546433

Exemption (a) is a messy mystery (and there's theories concerning it), but if you read definition (s)(2), they essentially do call out that self manufactured/assembled does not include serialized finished lowers transferred through a california gun store.

Also Article 4 defines the persons who must follow the registration regs as people with unfinished receivers/frames.
Old 06-02-2018, 7:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem222 View Post
Sorry if this question has already been answered. Does a AR15 that was registered in April of 2001 have to go through this new registration process?
Thanks..

No, once an RAW in any previous reg period, you’re good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old 06-02-2018, 7:45 PM

Question: too risky to reg like this, with my homemade (and very much compliant) integrated mag lock? Or should I reinstall the birdcage for reg and be stuck that way...
Both are legal, but I’m wondering if they are rejecting non-off-the-shelf BBs
Old 06-02-2018, 8:06 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno999 View Post
Question: too risky to reg like this, with my homemade (and very much compliant) integrated mag lock? Or should I reinstall the birdcage for reg and be stuck that way...
Both are legal, but I’m wondering if they are rejecting non-off-the-shelf BBs
I successfully reg'd several rifles with BB's that I myself designed and made. Didn't include any diagrams or blueprints. I don't think I said anything in the comments either, just a picture of it.

No one knows who made BB's and there is no standard and they don't know anything about the manufacturers. The legal definition of a BB is clear, it's just a mechanism that shrouds the magazine release and prevents it from being operated.

It could be lime green and shaped like a hello kitty with purple dots. If they have questions about functionality that's fine, answer them. No reason not to upload diagrams and talk about how it works in the comments either, completely up to you.

BTW, that's a nice design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-02-2018, 8:34 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Ah, I realize after looking at your design what the issue is- that's what the standard mag release looks like and you have an internal mechanism that might not be obvious to the naked eye. In that case, I would upload in the extra pictures slots the diagrams of the mechanism and in the comments say it's installed and works as a BB.

This would help them process the application. They might be comparing it to photos of standard mag releases based on the model and be confused if they don't have X-Ray vision.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 06-03-2018, 5:01 PM

Quick question. Has anyone been able to successfully volreg their 80% build without attaching pictures?
Old 06-03-2018, 5:22 PM

Well, I've really slacked and delayed. Finally decided to register 5 AWs today.

Put 4 factory built in one transaction and it went through, but the last home-build one is a problem, the server keeps timing out when trying to pay the $15.

The CFARS website is terrible and frustrating. I'm not really sure what to do (besides wait) when the website times out.

Also, for a few AR regs, I didn't put anything in the comments field at all, but now I'm reading that you may put "interchangeable with barrels 16" or greater"... Is this really needed?
Old 06-03-2018, 5:25 PM

Alright, after a few reloads I finally got the payment page to load..

What's the wait period like until I know if my regs went through?
Old 06-03-2018, 9:07 PM

i've been trying to log in for 3 hours. I tried logging in, and it said password expired and to reset by following the forgot my password link. When they send you the email containing the link to use in order to reset, the link is dead. WTH. So frustrated.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre View Post
i've been trying to log in for 3 hours. I tried logging in, and it said password expired and to reset by following the forgot my password link. When they send you the email containing the link to use in order to reset, the link is dead. WTH. So frustrated.
I would create a new account.

I've had all sorts of timeouts and errors while filling my applications. For one of my guns, I had to fill the form 5 times because the first 4 times I would get a time out or error.

I then had multiple errors when submitting my payment but it went through eventually.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2018, 6:56 AM

Late to the party here. Was excited a few years ago when I purchased my CZ Scorpion Pistol. Here I am and I don't think I want to register it. I don't think I have a lot of room to make it a non AW, so my question is. Can I still sell this weapon (I haven't registered it yet), or worst case can I transfer it out of state through a FFL3? Thanks!
Old 06-04-2018, 6:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If a guy wants to register and he has no internet access, is he SOL?

Did they provide a path of AW registration by paper?
Is internet access a requirement in the law?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 06-04-2018, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Something just occurred to me: you are not allowed to remove the BB on a registered BBAW, but how about sticking one of those "mag-buttons" on it?
The BB is still there, right?
Old 06-04-2018, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
If a guy wants to register and he has no internet access, is he SOL?

Did they provide a path of AW registration by paper?
Is internet access a requirement in the law?
I guess there's the argument of local libraries having free internet access for their local residents lol
Old 06-04-2018, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock Tom View Post
Something just occurred to me: you are not allowed to remove the BB on a registered BBAW, but how about sticking one of those "mag-buttons" on it?
The BB is still there, right?
Yes, this crossed my mind as soon as the whole "can I remove my BB" question came up, but I was silent because I didn't want to give the DoJ any ideas while they were in the middle of writing (and revising) the regs.

Depends on the definition of "alter", I guess.

The DOJ's attitude is that if you "alter" the mag release mechanism in anyway, it is a "different" firearm.

No, that makes no sense. But in CA (as in law), we know not much makes sense.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome

Last edited by curtisfong; 06-04-2018 at 8:35 AM..
Old 06-04-2018, 9:19 AM

Can one volreg an 80% build that only has a made up manufacturer name, serial, and caliber engraved? No first/last name or city/state.
Old 06-04-2018, 1:12 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post
Can one volreg an 80% build that only has a made up manufacturer name, serial, and caliber engraved? No first/last name or city/state.
Yes until July 1st as long as it's a non-AW config.
Quote:

Old 06-04-2018, 7:10 PM

^ Thanks.

Checking out the volreg form online it has a drop down menu for Make. On my 80% lower I made up a manufacturer name. Obviously it's not on the menu. How do I proceed. Do I just select US?
Old 06-04-2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
No, once an RAW in any previous reg period, you’re good.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
When I got my letter my old Eagle Arms/Armalite M15 lower i registered in 2000 was on the new registration paperwork.
Old 06-04-2018, 7:14 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
^ Thanks.

Checking out the volreg form online it has a drop down menu for Make. On my 80% lower I made up a manufacturer name. Obviously it's not on the menu. How do I proceed. Do I just select US?
Yes, that's fine. You could also try and see if the manufacturer is in the list, as in the manufacturer of the 80% receiver.
Quote:

Old 06-04-2018, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeklog View Post
When I got my letter my old Eagle Arms/Armalite M15 lower i registered in 2000 was on the new registration paperwork.

Yes they are making no distinction in the letter as to what class of AW it is. All are lumped together. But if you didn’t register new rifles and just tried to register your already registered one it would have rejected and no new letter.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 06-04-2018, 8:51 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Yes they are making no distinction in the letter as to what class of AW it is. All are lumped together. But if you didn’t register new rifles and just tried to register your already registered one it would have rejected and no new letter.
Early reg letters did not distinguish but later ones do have a code attached to differentiate. It tells us that they do in fact have the information and it will pop up on an LEO AFS check.
Quote:

Old 06-04-2018, 9:00 PM

Arrow AR Pistols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
No way to make it featureless unfortunately. Have to go bolt action I think.
with respect to ar pistols, not 80% that were drosed under sse1,

Is this still true with fixed mag solutions like the helfighter etc?
Old 06-04-2018, 9:01 PM

Will there be an option to add a co-registrant to the RAW when they turn 18 (2 years from now)
Old 06-04-2018, 9:04 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnzrme View Post
Will there be an option to add a co-registrant to the RAW when they turn 18 (2 years from now)
Nope.

Gotta be 18 years old before June 30 of this year to be a co-registrant, and gotta be registered as a co-registrant by the same date.

June 30 is a firm deadline. Nothing can happen with AW registration after that except for data corrections for a couple weeks afterward.

Last edited by CandG; 06-04-2018 at 9:07 PM..
Old 06-04-2018, 9:06 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

FYI, I'm not sure why this thread keeps being used, this info in here is OLD. Please see the link to the AW Registration Guide in my signature.

Mods, can we lock this thread?

Old 06-04-2018, 9:18 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

I was looking for this old post in another thread but it sums up what LEO sees on AFS pretty well from someone who knows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M62 View Post
You will notice at the top of your registration paperwork, there is a number - an assault weapon registration number. That number is assigned to your name, and when you register a new assault weapon it gets added to your "number". The DOJ will usually send an individual letter saying the new rifle you have registered is, in fact, registered -- and a second letter showing you your updated total list. It will include all registered "assault weapons" no matter how or when you registered them.

So, yes, what you saw above is normal. It's happened to me numerous times in the old registration period, for other rifles that I registered and now for BBAW's that are on the list.

The AFS system will show the date the firearm was recorded in the system. The Officer would have to run the firearm out individually through the system. The paperwork doesn't show it, obviously, but the actual "return" from the Automated Firearm System will show things like name, address, birthdate, when/where it was bought, who sold it, dates it was bought/sold/registered, who the seller was etc (think DROS, basically all of that). It wouldn't be too difficult for an Officer to deduce what features should or should not (according to the DOJ of course :rolleyes) be on the rifle based on the date of registration.

It however does not specifically list that it was a BB registered AW, or that it was registered under the new law, or another exemption (like say, Peace Officer).

Anyhow, all of this furthers my belief that even the DOJ knows the notion that somehow an assault weapon can be "more assaulty" than another, if it's registered, is ridiculous.
Quote:

Old 06-04-2018, 9:25 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyup View Post
Is this still true with fixed mag solutions like the helfighter etc?
Looks like that one is more of a BB v2.0 than a fixed mag solution. The difference is there is only one fixed mag solution manufacturer out there that actually contacted the DOJ and got their approval on it's legality, and that is the Franklin armory DFM kit.

BB V2.0 is a giant gray area and it's going to take time for it to be really known if they will go after it or not. They might. Many manufacturers claim approval or legality and it's just a plain lie. Ask them for written proof.
Quote:

Old 06-05-2018, 12:18 PM

When doing the volreg on my 80% build, do I need to write in the comments section explaining that my rifle has a fixed magazine? I don't think pictures alone will show that it has a fixed mag part installed.

Also, from what I've read putting down Multi for caliber is not allowed? So putting down whatever cal. is stamped on the barrel is OK?

Last edited by MrBlazito; 06-05-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Old 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When doing the volreg on my 80% build, do I need to write in the comments section explaining that my rifle has a fixed magazine? I don't think pictures alone will show that it has a fixed mag part installed.

Also, from what I've read putting down Multi for caliber is not allowed? So putting down whatever cal. is stamped on the barrel is OK?
Why are you sending pictures for a volreg? Does CFARs require it? I did mine via paper/snail mail.
Old 06-05-2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
I successfully reg'd several rifles with BB's that I myself designed and made. Didn't include any diagrams or blueprints. I don't think I said anything in the comments either, just a picture of it.

No one knows who made BB's and there is no standard and they don't know anything about the manufacturers. The legal definition of a BB is clear, it's just a mechanism that shrouds the magazine release and prevents it from being operated.

It could be lime green and shaped like a hello kitty with purple dots. If they have questions about functionality that's fine, answer them. No reason not to upload diagrams and talk about how it works in the comments either, completely up to you.

BTW, that's a nice design.
I wish I could have bought this design. It would make changing the mags much better
Old 06-05-2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Why are you sending pictures for a volreg? Does CFARs require it? I did mine via paper/snail mail.
From what I've read people have been asked via email/phone to attach pictures after submitting the volreg online.
Old 06-05-2018, 3:10 PM

They’ve been doing it for awhile

Here is the one I got almost 2 years ago