Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Ar15 Flat top + Bushnell TRS-25 = What height riser to use?

Hello All,
I have decided to go with TRS-25 as my first red dot. Question is: what height riser to use on my Flat top AR? I use Magpul CTR stock, and I do not plan to run a front sight at all. I am more concerned about a good cheek weld than about co-witnessing. Either 0.83" or 1.0"? Seems 1" gives a natural weld, but will it stick up too much to snag on stuff and get damaged? Will 0.83 cause an unnatural cringing to see thru the sight? Any comments/recommendations from AR folks running a Bushnell TRS-25 would be appreciated!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 PM

I run on one of my rifles with no sights a 1/2 Inch riser with the TRS 25 Works great. if I went Higher to maybe 1" it would still work great because I do not need to to worry about co witness at all I decided to go more Compact. There is a lot of room for you to play in since you are not running sights so either .83 or 1 will work just fine
Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/799...flat-top-matte
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM

If you need a higher cheek weld take a look at the Larue RISR for your CTR.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 PM

Take a look at this red dot base by Alamo Four Star:

http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=2

I have one for my second TRS-25 and I love that mount. It provides a rock solid mounting platform and it fits the TRS-25 like a glove. Plus, you can co-witness your TRS-25 with your iron sights. Cheers! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 PM

I use this one, which is perfect for Bushnell TRS-25 and co-witness with iron sights. Very solid with quick detachable design.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Funny I was just looking at this myself tonite..
found ayoutube video

Same maker as teh one above.. but this one is detachable.. cheap too 12http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Rated-Doub...I3IH0EHA3DXNXA
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 AM

For absolute co-witness with a fixed front sight i used a .83 utg riser. After sighting in with the trs 25, adjusting my rear matech buis was super easy and i was on target!

WTT: Federal hydrashock 40s&w JHP's for 9mm fmj's locally

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=927721
Old 04-02-2013, 7:30 PM

If at all possible you would want the scope centerline 2.8" above the barrel bore centerline. This is the height of peep-hole in A2 style rear sight above bore center. This will provide the proper cheek weld IMHO, just as Gawd and Eugene Stoner intended
Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to go with the UTG QD 0.83 inch height double rail that Ninety posted, as seen in pic below. I like the idea of Quick Detachable. But found that it is either a top OR angle mount, won't be able to use both (say for a light, and the TRS-25), because on the 1-1/2 inch rail lengthwise there's not enough room. Dot height was in the absolute center of the tube (where the tip of the front sight post would be). But because I don't plan on using any iron sights at all, I decided to try a lower mount to keep it all low profile. I got the UTG 1/2 inch riser, and it seems to work with my CTR stock and I can get a natural cheek weld. The dot moved up in the sight a little bit, almost to the upper 1/3, but still plenty of field of view. If using both eyes open, you can't hardly see the sight body at all, just the red dot, so it works. I believe that if I ever do get flip up sights, it will still work well with the 1/2 inch riser. I like to keep my carbine lightweight (7 lbs. total), snag-free, nimble, and A##-kickin!
Again thanks to all for their input!

Same maker as teh one above.. but this one is detachable.. cheap too 12http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Rated-Doub...I3IH0EHA3DXNXA[/QUOTE]

Last edited by AmericanFreedom; 04-11-2013 at 12:24 PM..