Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-04-2013, 4:05 PM

I feel the OP's pain.

I have an older CZ 75 compact steel framed pistol that is great. A little too heavy for CCW though. Then the CZ P-01 came out and I saw that as a perfect correction to the weight issue for conceal carry (I have a permit up here in Yuba City). I had to give up the Cocked and locked safety carry position of the 75 compact for the decocker on the P-01 but I got a rail and the gun is lighter.
The ergonomics of the gun are mostly the same.

Well after much waiting and searching for an actual pistol to buy, I finally get a P-01. It shoots the almost the same as my 75 compact steel framed pistol, trigger is not as smooth as the gun is new. BUT...the ugly unfinished, rough inner frame machining/molding of the P-01 is a complete disappointment. It has soured me on the P-01. Yes, I know now that this is a known problem with the P-01 after much reading on the issue after the fact. Despite all my waiting and reading on the P-01 the unfinished inside of the alloy frame issue was overlooked by the all the people that gave the gun glowing reviews.
Now I am mostly disappointed. Almost to the point of selling the pistol, after just 50 rounds down range.

It is funny how unmet expectations quickly turn to resentment.

I wish the good uncle a peaceable resolution to his CZ disappointment.
Old 05-04-2013, 4:09 PM

Funny I just did a PPT for a 9mm CZ 75b. Bought it from a friend of mine. I'll say its pretty accurate and has a comfortable grip. Next time try looking for a rental or fondle one for awhile to see if its comfortable. I know looks fuel alot of purchases but try researching a firearm before you buy it.
Old 05-04-2013, 4:14 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythebrain View Post
I feel the OP's pain.

I have an older CZ 75 compact steel framed pistol that is great. A little too heavy for CCW though. Then the CZ P-01 came out and I saw that as a perfect correction to the weight issue for conceal carry (I have a permit up here in Yuba City). I had to give up the Cocked and locked safety carry position of the 75 compact for the decocker on the P-01 but I got a rail and the gun is lighter.

Well after much waiting and searching for an actual pistol to buy, I finally get a P-01. It shoots the almost the same as my 75 compact steel framed pistol, trigger is not as smooth as the gun is new. BUT...the ugly unfinished, rough inner frame machining/molding of the P-01 is a complete disappointment. It has soured me on the P-01. Yes, I know now that this is a known problem with the P-01 after much reading on the issue after the fact. Despite all my waiting and reading on the P-01 the unfinished inside of the alloy frame issue was overlooked by the all the people that gave the gun glowing reviews.
Now I am mostly disappointed. Almost to the point of selling the pistol, after just 50 rounds down range.

No offence, but that type of mentality baffles me.

Gun shoots good, and sounds like it works for you, but due to it being unfinished on the inside you want to sell it after 50 rounds?

Maybe I'm just to much of a function over form/utilitarian kind of person.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 05-04-2013, 4:17 PM

Trade you a Hi-point for it
Old 05-04-2013, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
No offence, but that type of mentality baffles me.

Gun shoots good, and sounds like it works for you, but due to it being unfinished on the inside you want to sell it after 50 rounds?

Maybe I'm just to much of a function over form/utilitarian kind of person.

See the beauty of the forum experience. You get to experience life from another person's experience and life point of view. We all have quirks.

I had the opportunity to buy several different pistols of different makes while I searched for this gun. I am sure that many of these would have fit the bill as being light, shot accurately with good ergonomics.

My safe is full of guns. Why keep one, no matter how many rounds have been fired through it if something about it"irks" me? Besides, every time I sell one, I get to buy one to replace it.

The point was that the P-01 I purchased was not as I expected and it soured my opinion of it. I think that the OP was/is primarily venting his frustration over the gun not being all that he expected. But I could be wrong about the OP's intentions and he can answer for himself on the matter if further clarity is needed.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
See the beauty of the forum experience. You get to experience life from another person's experience and life point of view. We all have quirks.

I had the opportunity to buy several different pistols of different makes while I searched for this gun. I am sure that many of these would have fit the bill as being light, shot accurately with good ergonomics.

My safe is full of guns. Why keep one, no matter how many rounds have been fired through it if something about it"irks" me? Besides, every time I sell one, I get to buy one to replace it.

The point was that the P-01 I purchased was not as I expected and it soured my opinion of it. I think that the OP was/is primarily venting his frustration over the gun not being all that he expected. But I could be wrong about the OP's intentions and he can answer for himself on the matter if further clarity is needed.
I didn't want to go here, but I have a cosmetic issue too. Seems like cz was a lil sloppy with my frame

From arms distance I can't notice, but while inspecting I noticed some sloppy machining.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^ nothing is wrong with your frame. Mine looks the same as yours.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:35 PM

Quote:
I feel the OP's pain.

If it bothers you, it makes sense to sell it.

The gun gets glowing reviews because it is a very reliable, very shootable gun. I have shot approximately 2500 rounds through my P-01, and the internals look the same as the day I brought it home. I couldn't care less about whether the internals are coated or not.

After 2000 rounds, I decided I wanted to upgrade the pistol, so I sent it to CGW for a new trigger, a complete trigger job with new hammer, and night sights. Best money I ever spent. The next 500 rounds were perfect!

Last edited by DSB; 05-04-2013 at 5:40 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 5:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I can see that for a safe queen / occasional range toy, but in a carry / defensive gun...I don't get it. Not knocking you at all, just doesnt make sense to me.

Ain't my money luckily, so no skin off my back

Last edited by zfields; 05-04-2013 at 5:40 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 5:37 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
I didn't want to go here, but I have a cosmetic issue too. Seems like cz was a lil sloppy with my frame

From arms distance I can't notice, but while inspecting I noticed some sloppy machining.

You bought a defensive/combat firearm, that are relatively inexpensive for a steel framed gun.

Old 05-04-2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
After all the effort I put into acquiring it, I hate it. The trigger sux. Even the single action is seems long. The grips are too big. I definitely should've handled the pistol before buying. Oh well, if someone breaks in I can just throw it at them. As big as it is, I'm sure it'll hit something.
If the only thing that bothered you was the trigger, I would suggest sending it to CGW for trigger work. However, the grips are not going to get much smaller, even with aluminum grips or VZs.

Since you don't like the grip, I would suggest selling it.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:45 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:

Well after much waiting and searching for an actual pistol to buy, I finally get a P-01. It shoots the almost the same as my 75 compact steel framed pistol, trigger is not as smooth as the gun is new. BUT...the ugly unfinished, rough inner frame machining/molding of the P-01 is a complete disappointment.
I hear the same thing about vaginas, from people who bring their glasses and a flashlight to look at them.

Point is, there are not bad ones made.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:46 PM

I have a 97b i bought new about year ago, first thing i did got the factory CZ black rubber grips, what a big improvement on egonomics, my trigger was tight at first but broke in over time. i simply love my 45 accurate as hell. i could use a second one for my stable if you can get use to yours.
Old 05-04-2013, 5:55 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB View Post
If the only thing that bothered you was the trigger, I would suggest sending it to CGW for trigger work. However, the grips are not going to get much smaller, even with aluminum grips or VZs.

Since you don't like the grip, I would suggest selling it.
I agree. If you decide to get thin grips for the 97B, they will most likely cost you a pretty penny. CZ stuff is expensive. If after the grips, it still does not feel great in your hand, sell it. Don't throw good money after bad. From reading your posts, I think their are too many things that you don't like about the gun to really make it work for you.
Old 05-04-2013, 6:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Another Uncle Leo thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
Dude, you have started more threads in a week then most people start in a year. Slow down, read more, and google is your friend.
You leave him alone, his threads remind me of how excited I was when I got my first ISP.

Keep going Uncle Leo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
A week ago Congress was asking Tide to change their pod designs so teenagers would stop eating them.

Now this week the media thinks teenagers should determine gun control laws.
Old 05-04-2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
After all the effort I put into acquiring it, I hate it. The trigger sux. Even the single action is seems long. The grips are too big. I definitely should've handled the pistol before buying. Oh well, if someone breaks in I can just throw it at them. As big as it is, I'm sure it'll hit something.
No need to get angry. Just sell it and get something else.

Old 05-04-2013, 6:23 PM

anyone who wants to sell their CZ in socal just contact me, we can come up with a deal fast.
Old 05-04-2013, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

I don't look at the inside of the gun when I shoot it and neither does anyone else. I doubt you will go swimming with it or do heavy use in rain, so the lack of finish inside is a non-issue IMO. That is how CZs stock pistols sell at the price point they sell for; they made a few cosmetic concessions to save on cost and pass that down to the end user...me and you and every other CZ fanboy. A Hi-Power or Sig226 or 92FS or any other wondernine 9mm sells for close to $1,000. Before the panic, if you can find a CZ, you could get it for 500-600 dollars. There is a price point to CZs guns which makes them very popular, and they are accurate as hell with the right loads. There is a reason IDPA shooters go to this brand.

I suggest going to CajunGunWorks and if you're mechanically inclined and have a good clamped vice and some punches, do the mods yourself. My gun now pulls at 7-8 lbs in DA, and 4-4.5 lbs in SA with a crisp break. There is still some take up due to the FP block and the fact that it was designed to be a combat/duty gun, it could be kept off safety in DA mode and holstered OR like a 1911 and kept in SA with the safety.

Check out my vids in the signature for more info...

Old 05-04-2013, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
I hear the same thing about vaginas, from people who bring their glasses and a flashlight to look at them.
I am stealing this for my sig. Lmfao hahagaga
OP- in your pic were you referring to the oil dmudging?
There's no evidence of poor machining at all b!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 05-04-2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decepticon6551 View Post
Another Uncle Leo thread

You leave him alone, his threads remind me of how excited I was when I got my first ISP.

Keep going Uncle Leo.
Thank you Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I am stealing this for my sig. Lmfao hahagaga
OP- in your pic were you referring to the oil dmudging?
There's no evidence of poor machining at all b!
The beveled edge on the frame is all over the place . Not the oil

I only put 100 rnds or so through it. I'll shoot some more after handling it at home a little to see if I can get use to it. I can't get a new gun till next month anyways.

Last edited by Uncle Leo; 05-04-2013 at 7:54 PM..
Old 05-04-2013, 8:21 PM

Default One hell of a pistol

Love mine my first 45 in 40 years of shooting the ones I used in the military could not hit the broad side of a barn with the cz97 not only feels great in the hand but I think you could shoot bottle caps at 25yds all day with it it's that accurate.

http:http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/tm...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old 05-04-2013, 8:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thank you Sir
Np

Welcome to the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
A week ago Congress was asking Tide to change their pod designs so teenagers would stop eating them.

Now this week the media thinks teenagers should determine gun control laws.
Old 05-04-2013, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Uncle Leo, go buy a glock. You'll have another gun to compare to and these "problems" with the CZ will seem insignificant. Trust me on this.
Old 05-04-2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy255 View Post
Love mine my first 45 in 40 years of shooting the ones I used in the military could not hit the broad side of a barn with the cz97 not only feels great in the hand but I think you could shoot bottle caps at 25yds all day with it it's that accurate.

http:http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/tm...tml?sort=3&o=0
Is that the blued model or did you have work done?
Old 05-04-2013, 8:53 PM

Default Blued cz97

That's the blue model bought a couple months ago trying for a cz75 but there wasn't a 9mm model of any kind in stock but there were a lot of 45's and this one had been there a week even the owner couldn't believe it was still in the case anyway bought it and sent it to Dave at CGW and he fitted that 1911 bushing on there so good you need a pair of vise grips to get it off that guy is really good with cz's.
Old 05-04-2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy255 View Post
That's the blue model bought a couple months ago trying for a cz75 but there wasn't a 9mm model of any kind in stock but there were a lot of 45's and this one had been there a week even the owner couldn't believe it was still in the case anyway bought it and sent it to Dave at CGW and he fitted that 1911 bushing on there so good you need a pair of vise grips to get it off that guy is really good with cz's.
So the blued model is available in california?
Old 05-04-2013, 9:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Now that's some funny stuff. Right there with the statistics that 69% of the people find something dirty in any sentence...
Old 05-04-2013, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkk6869 View Post
...... thats a lot of work to get a gun to be "good," as you said. .................... there are tons of other options that come out of the box good to go.
that's what I was thinking.

shouldn't have to go through all that crap to make a gun work well.
Old 05-04-2013, 9:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
that's what I was thinking.

shouldn't have to go through all that crap to make a gun work well.
They "work" fine without. Just a mater of hitting its potential.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-04-2013, 9:55 PM

Default blued cz97

I'm not leo so I guess there good to go but be sure to get a can of Johnson paste wax your going to need it with this blued beauty but it still don't look as good as this one.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/...l/DSC_0010.jpg
Old 05-05-2013, 1:01 AM

Quote:

yikes, I hope that's not normal for a cz. Looks like it was hand done by Michael J fox.
Old 05-05-2013, 1:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The P-01 is not meant to be a beauty queen. I'd rather have CZ focus on the tight slide to frame tolerances, reliability tests it has passed:
Quote:
After 3 years of some of the most aggressive small arms testing ever, the CZ P-01 won the honor of replacing the CZ 75s previously used by the Czech National Police.
Reliability: The U.S. Army "Mean Rounds Between Failure" (MRBF) requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols. During testing of the CZ P-01, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired. This is a .05% failure rate or an MRBF of 2142! First Nato-spec pistol available to the public.
low bore axis, and surgical accuracy. That just tells me where the company's priorities are. The unfinished internal frame is info that's been out for awhile. If the unfinished internal frame irks you, then those qualities I mentioned are not your priority and the P-01 wasn't the right gun for you in the first place. For me CZ does meet all I want in a gun. As for the 97B, I'd wish they would design one with an accessory rail on the frame, maybe slim up the frame a bit. I'm curious how the new P227 will compare in size to the 97B.
Old 05-05-2013, 5:34 AM

I rather enjoy these Uncle Leo threads.

my YouTube shooting channel

Old 05-05-2013, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletblood View Post
yikes, I hope that's not normal for a cz. Looks like it was hand done by Michael J fox.
From far away, you can't notice. Only reason I'm ignoring it

Old 05-05-2013, 8:16 AM

Leo, you got me checking my 97b for flaws on machining on the frame rails, my does not look like yours, perfect line all the way, did you buy new or use 97b?
Old 05-05-2013, 8:19 AM
Calguns Addict

I have several CZ's and I do like them a lot. I have the 75b in 9mm (two of them) one in .40 and I have a .40 compact. I also have a 97b like the OP.

As I said, I do like them a lot... but every CZ I have has needed a little bit of work right out of the box to make them what I wanted. EVERY. ONE.

If you think you're going to get a european Les Baer 1911 for $400... your expectations are going to go unmet.

Take the fender off your car, and see what it looks like underneath. Is it all shiny and glossy, with metallic paint and chrome trim? Nope, not on the inside where someone on the sidewalk will never see it as you drive by. You put the effort and expense into putting a presentable finish on the outside, where it will be seen.

CZ's are not "fine firearms". They are duty pistols that are designed to hold up to use and do a job. If someone told you they were highly finished works of firearms art, they lied.

With a bit of trigger/action work, my CZ's are all that I expect from a pistol in their price range. The triggers are now FAR better than any out-of-the-box condition of other guns in the same price range (say for example, Springfield XD). Of course that work didn't come for free and "you get what you pay for". Machining marks inside the gun, where they are never seen except when performing maintenance, don't bother me. Is it worth another couple hundred dollars to you to perform work on the gun with no practical value? CZ didn't think that was important to most of their customers.

I like CZ's for the humble workhorse that they are. With a bit of tweaking, they can be all that and a cherry on top. So the potential is there, in the design, waiting to be coaxed out. If you're not the type to want to tune and tweak a pistol, then get a custom shop 1911 (les baer, wilson combat) and be done with it. But don't buy a gun a quarter of their price, and then compare it unfavorably to those pistols. Apples to oranges.

And regarding the 97b... yes, it's a big pistol. The grip and trigger reach are not for everyone. that is a personal fit issue which can be somewhat addressed with alternate grips, but will not resolve a fundamental anatomical mis-match with the shooter's hand. My 97b is a very accurate gun, and I enjoy shooting it. But I will confess it's not the most ergonomic thing in the world, even with my big hands. Gotta love 10 rounds of .45 acp goodness though.

In closing, to the OP - hey, it happens... people buy guns sight-unseen and find out it's not what they wanted for whatever reason. You won't have any trouble selling it in the current market if you truly think the issues you have with the gun are beyond resolution. Or maybe just keep it as an investment? Maybe in a few years you'll be glad you held onto it.
Old 05-05-2013, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornonthe4thofJuly View Post
Leo, you got me checking my 97b for flaws on machining on the frame rails, my does not look like yours, perfect line all the way, did you buy new or use 97b?
Supposedly preowned, but never fired. I didn't see any signs of it being fired, and the gun is still pretty tight

Also, I don't see how the previous owner could've done that without taking off huge chunk of the finish

Last edited by Uncle Leo; 05-05-2013 at 8:47 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 9:04 AM

Leo, i bought mine new july 2012, my ser# starts with BO7XXXX, is yours newer or older ser#. i wonder if CZ has production dates on the guns they base on the ser#?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
I rather enjoy these Uncle Leo threads.
He does seem to fit the character...
Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornonthe4thofJuly View Post
Leo, i bought mine new july 2012, my ser# starts with BO7XXXX, is yours newer or older ser#. i wonder if CZ has production dates on the guns they base on the ser#?
B08XXXX, so I guess newer.