Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

Default Just Canceled an Appt for the 21st, it's open.

Was due to go in day after tomorrow at 8:45 am, had to cancel mainly because we'd need to buy another pistol, which we can't seem to find at the moment without paying double the MSRP. Everybody is gouging, and it's cost me my CCW

I had no choice but to wait for my tax return to get a good carry gun, and by that time the scare was in full swing, and I couldn't find anything (unless I wanted to pay 7 or $800 for a used LC9). Still can't. Not without breaking the bank enough to not be able to afford the classes and ammo and fee's for the CCW anyway, so no point. Might as well wait another year myself, and at least let the wife get hers. Hopefully it's still a "shall-issue" county by the time I'm able to get mine...

ANYWAYS

Just venting! LOL. Wanted to let some Calgunners know that there is an open appointment in Sacramento County!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

A modification takes no time at all, I think you made a huge mistake.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:37 AM

That really bites... I don't know how it works in your area but its the CCW that is hard to get, changing the weapon(s) listed is pretty easy. Seems if you had any reasonable pistol at all (single action Colt, double action revolver, old funky whatever) as long its functional would be fine. IMO I would have kept the appointment and shot/ registered a beater.

I see nice quality snub nose .38s going for $400. brand new, used would be less. A used Taurus or Rossi less than $200. I'd like a nice LC9 or Khar but my little 642 .38 snub is more than adequate.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Not to mention that the process is still on going, you'd be able to have it added before the license was sent out.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned

I legally own no pistol. I own a couple rifles, and a shotgun, but my fiance owns the single pistol in my house, a Ruger P95. I know we can modify, and we will still get a little carry gun for her... But I can't swing the money for two classes, two fee's, my HSC, and two pistols (regardless of if they're cheap), and one of the pistols being needed within a few weeks. If I buy one for me, I still have to buy one for her, because a P95 just isn't a feasible carry gun for her, and I need one in my name. We have 2 kids together, and have been together 13 years, but are not legally married, so I can't list a gun I technically don't own. Everything is really expensive, including ammo, and money is tight, better spent on other things than waiting on a really expensive market. Mainly because of other time sensitive things going on. So...

It's just not in the cards.

That is ok though, I was kind of "along for the ride". Our main intent all along was to get HER a CCW because of a few incidents she has had going to and from work. At 6'3" and 280 lbs... I don't have many problems.

Edit: And please don't suggest me buying a non American firearm ever again. I thought we are all free to practice our own religions here?

Last edited by Dizturbed One; 03-19-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizturbed One View Post
I legally own no pistol. I own a couple rifles, and a shotgun, but my fiance owns the single pistol in my house, a Ruger P95. I know we can modify, and we will still get a little carry gun for her... But I can't swing the money for two classes, two fee's, my HSC, and two pistols (regardless of if they're cheap), and one of the pistols being needed within a few weeks. If I buy one for me, I still have to buy one for her, because a P95 just isn't a feasible carry gun for her, and I need one in my name. We have 2 kids together, and have been together 13 years, but are not legally married, so I can't list a gun I technically don't own. Everything is really expensive, including ammo, and money is tight, better spent on other things than waiting on a really expensive market. Mainly because of other time sensitive things going on. So...

It's just not in the cards.

That is ok though, I was kind of "along for the ride". Our main intent all along was to get HER a CCW because of a few incidents she has had going to and from work. At 6'3" and 280 lbs... I don't have many problems.

Edit: And please don't suggest me buying a non American firearm ever again. I thought we are all free to practice our own religions here?
I hear ya, we all have to deal with our own reality. Sorry if I came off a bit strong... times are tough and I absolutley respect your desire to buy American. But those Austrians, Swiss and German folks make some sweet pistollas.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato

Last edited by Charlie50; 03-19-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 1:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie50 View Post
I hear ya, we all have to deal with our own reality. Sorry if I came off a bit strong... times are tough and I absolutley respect your desire to buy American. But those Austrians, Swiss and German folks make some sweet pistollas.
They sure do. I'm not against shooting them, so I know that's a fact! LOL. Just don't want to give them my money, especially these days.
Old 03-19-2013, 1:48 PM

It's pretty easy to change your weapons here in Monterey, probably the same in Sacremento. You should have kept the appointment.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:00 PM

dude you should not have done that. It will take at least half a year to get a new appointment. I had weapons I wanted to add to my permit too that I did not have yet but I still got my appointment and went ahead with it. Ended up getting the gun I really wanted for the permit
Old 03-19-2013, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
A modification takes no time at all, I think you made a huge mistake.
^^ This!

Should have gotten your LTC with whatever you had available. Adding a gun to your LTC later is a breeze!
Old 03-20-2013, 3:50 PM
Banned

Except, I have nothing available, and my wife still needs a different pistol.

So, $20 app fee + $150 CCW Class + $120 DOJ/Livescan + (at best) $400 pistol = about $700 extra right now, probably closer to $900 to $1000 in reality, because of the price of any 9mm pocket pistol. I can't afford to do it twice in this market. Honestly, I planned on never doing it twice, and already having a gun, but then the December crunch came and crushed that. I've been looking since the beginning of January to no avail. Should have grabbed a CW9 when I had a chance, but really thought I would find an LC9 for around $500 eventually. My own fault.

Last edited by Dizturbed One; 03-20-2013 at 3:53 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 9:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sorry to hear that you had to give up your appointment.

Maybe I'm missing something but by my figuring you would only have to buy one pistol, the one for the GF, right away. You could have "bought" your GF's Ruger for a $35 DROS fee and put it on your permit. You would still have all the LTC fees X 2 though.

A lie about a wrongdoing becomes your future. The truth about a wrongdoing becomes your past. - Unknown
Old 03-22-2013, 8:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranemech View Post
Sorry to hear that you had to give up your appointment.

Maybe I'm missing something but by my figuring you would only have to buy one pistol, the one for the GF, right away. You could have "bought" your GF's Ruger for a $35 DROS fee and put it on your permit. You would still have all the LTC fees X 2 though.
Yeah, I had thought of that already. Not exactly a great carry gun, but would have worked for me for awhile.

The main problem is my own mentality of HAVING to buy a Ruger, Kahr, S&W, etc... I've never owned a foreign gun, and never plan to. I just can't FIND one right now unless I want to pay double the MSRP for it, used. Pretty hard to swallow considering the prices I've been looking at for 6 months prior to the gouging, and how broke it would make me at the moment

Just had to Smog both vehicles, the K5 needed a little work to pass the visual, the Camaro needed a LOT of work to pass the sniffer, plus the brakes went out. Almost $1000 of Smog related work that I wouldn't have needed anywhere else. Good ol' Commiefornia for ya!

I was never really too concerned about it for myself anyways. I never even thought about it until my wife had a pretty scary incident at work with a wannabe thug, that's when I made it my mission to get us appointments.

She's a better shot anyways
Old 03-22-2013, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

River city gun exchange always has duty quality handguns in stock. Barely any markup. Flip a coin. Lots of used guns too. Oooo well.