Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-03-2018, 2:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Default Precision load workup, .308 bolt gun, check my plan please

I have a 700 5r 24” that i am playing with. First trip the range, after sighting in with two rounds (i am starting to like the Horus reticle), i settled down and shot a 5 shot group at 100y off a bipod and bag, 175 GMM, that was under an inch, all touching, no fliers.

Stupid me with my pages of notes and working on a new rifle, i took a photo but never measured it. Suffice to say an inch tape circle would have covered it with room to spare.

I chronoed the factory ammo and have that in my notes.

Its a 700 5r, 24” braked barrel, timney 510 with a Grayboe Ridgeback stock and a Bushnell HDMR2 scope, Horus reticle. For now, a Harris with podlock and a rear bag.

My goal is to work up the best load for my intended use, first, just playing with an accurate rifle and trying to eek out more accuracy, secondarily, once i get the drill down i intend on entering some local mid range matches, like they run in Burbank i think. I dont think thats paper matches, i think thats on metal, so whatever difference that makes.

I have a rock chucker for my precision rifle loading, picked up some lapua 1x brass, bought some competition dies, have plenty of 4064 and 175 mk projectiles, a case length gauge with ogive insert for 308, and i am about ready to load some “lets see how THESE work” rounds.

So i used the case length deal and it looks like the 175s touch the lands at 3.320 to the ogive.

I think that means i should start loading at 3.300 to the ogive? Is that correct? Which way do i go with that, +/-, to see if thats the sweet spot?

Its a good deal longer than a factory round, i think i will have mag clearance issues.

How does one deal with that? I have a single shot sled ive used to simplify loading during load development. I dont mind using it but being locked out of magazines seems a pretty hefty trade off.

Do people work up a load that is the best they can run, then another load thats the best the rifle will feed through a magazine? Or just load the same charge weight, but shorter to run in a mag? Am i going to note a difference? Should i load as long as will run in magazines, or find what the gun likes?

I plan to run a ladder test at 300 at angeles, unless i go to the desert, thats as far as i can set up paper that i know about, and its a 3/4 day trip to do that.

I appreciate the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 03-03-2018 at 3:13 PM..
Old 03-03-2018, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Try 42.2grs if 4064 in the FGMM case at a oal in the 2.830” range. Then adjust up/down in .005” increments until they all shoot under .5”. This should yield a 2600 FPS load with single digit SD that won’t ruin your brass.
Old 03-03-2018, 4:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Stop and remeasure.
There is no way that measured 3.30 to the ogive for .308
OAL to the lands should be around 2.90
If you have a .308. The mag will only take 2.80 OAL
Old 03-03-2018, 4:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Stop and remeasure.
There is no way that measured 3.30 to the ogive for .308
OAL to the lands should be around 2.90
If you have a .308. The mag will only take 2.80 OAL
Its a funky measurement because it includes the holder and ogive insert, so its substantially longer than oal. Like .5” longer or so.

It attaches to a blade on the calipers and is more to transfer the measurement from the insert round to a loaded round.

Edit, here is what i am trying to describe

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/hornad...-gauge-system/
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 03-03-2018 at 4:30 PM..
Old 03-03-2018, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Remingtons generally have very "long" throats and trying to load just off the lands will require long loads meaning single loading. However, The Sierra MK's are very jump tolerant and you can load them to magazine length without any detriment to accuracy. Figure a load and we'll see you at Burbank. It's 600yds on paper, so you get every shot spotted.
Old 03-03-2018, 4:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Just measured OAL of the length i posted sbove.

Its 2.902
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-03-2018, 4:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Remingtons generally have very "long" throats and trying to load just off the lands will require long loads meaning single loading. However, The Sierra MK's are very jump tolerant and you can load them to magazine length without any detriment to accuracy. Figure a load and we'll see you at Burbank. It's 600yds on paper, so you get every shot spotted.
Ah. Gotcha.

Do you ladder test? I a, seeing reslly good things about 42-43 of 4064. I like to figure things out for myself, but dont have any interest in reinventing the wheel.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-03-2018, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

I did an OCW (optimum charge weight) test at 200yds over a chrono. I had three parameters: I needed over 2,650fps along with finding a range where vertical dispersion was minimal and the velocity maintained a plateau. This was for Long Range load when shooting at Santa Margarita Gun Club. We sometimes deal with extremes with a start in the cool of the morning and will finish in the heat of the afternoon.

I don't weigh every load, I just meter. It falls +/- .2gr max. The load I found maintains almost a water-line at 1,000 with wind reading as my major issue.

Last edited by smoothy8500; 03-03-2018 at 5:10 PM..
Old 03-03-2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Just measured OAL of the length i posted sbove.

Its 2.902
That’s about what mine is as well. I’m actually loading to 2.92 on the 168grn amax. I took .010 off already for jump
Old 03-03-2018, 5:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyguan View Post
That’s about what mine is as well. I’m actually loading to 2.92 on the 168grn amax. I took .010 off already for jump
Do you just forgo mag use?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 03-03-2018, 5:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the same guage. But I use digital. I reset the zero with the guages attached.
Old 03-06-2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Do you just forgo mag use?
Yep. I single load.

But recently just got a chassis so I will be changing that up a bit now and using max magazine length
Old 03-07-2018, 3:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My 308 175gr Nosler RDF's are 3.057" COAL or 2.268 with a comparator.
thats .005 off the land and the only way they shoot out of my rifle.
SMK shoot mag length just fine. single hole five shot group