Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Question New to competition shooting-- where to train?

Hi guys,

Few of my co-workers and I are interested in getting into competition shooting just for fun... whether Steel Challenge, or IPSC...

Wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions for training... like, are there any places that offer courses or for practice? I found a few places that do the Steel Challenge or IPSC, but they are "MATCHES" only.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout323 View Post
Hi guys,

Few of my co-workers and I are interested in getting into competition shooting just for fun... whether Steel Challenge, or IPSC...

Wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions for training... like, are there any places that offer courses or for practice? I found a few places that do the Steel Challenge or IPSC, but they are "MATCHES" only.

Thanks in advance!
You should definitely check out the Deadwood Boys range in Lake Piru. It is one of the best deals in private range memberships at $85/year. They also hold bi-monthly Action Pistol matches where you shoot nothing but steel targets. There are 6 different bays that are open 7 days a week sun-up to sun-down as long as there isn't a match going on. If you are thinking about getting into competition shooting, I definitely suggest checking out the action pistol match. It is very fun, relaxed and safe atmosphere and everyone there is really great with helping first-time and new shooters become comfortable and gain confidence. There is actually a match this Saturday if you want to go: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=695823 . All you need is a semi-auto pistol 9mm/.380 or larger, 300 rounds of ammo, and enough mags for 40-50 rounds per stage (maybe 60 if you think you might miss a lot). Check out http://www.deadwoodboys.org for more info.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed Jon View Post
You should definitely check out the Deadwood Boys range in Lake Piru. It is one of the best deals in private range memberships at $85/year. They also hold bi-monthly Action Pistol matches where you shoot nothing but steel targets. There are 6 different bays that are open 7 days a week sun-up to sun-down as long as there isn't a match going on. If you are thinking about getting into competition shooting, I definitely suggest checking out the action pistol match. It is very fun, relaxed and safe atmosphere and everyone there is really great with helping first-time and new shooters become comfortable and gain confidence. There is actually a match this Saturday if you want to go: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=695823 . All you need is a semi-auto pistol 9mm/.380 or larger, 300 rounds of ammo, and enough mags for 40-50 rounds per stage (maybe 60 if you think you might miss a lot). Check out http://www.deadwoodboys.org for more info.
One note on membership, it isn't just open to anyone. Since there are no range officers (except during comps), Lefty and Sam need to know you.

Also, The ISI Shootists ranges at Piru (both IDPA and Steel Challenge ranges) are open 7 days a week to their members too.
Like at the Deadwood Boys, Mike and Steve need to know you (or come recommended by a trusted member), as there are no range officers.

Me, I happily belong to both. Both are great clubs run by really good guys!
Old 02-05-2013, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, thank you guys for the helpful info. Will definitely look into this. Appreciate it!
Old 02-05-2013, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

I just mapped it, and it's about 1 hour 4 mins away from me. Not bad. Was just curious if there was anything closer as well... thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 1:41 PM

I live in the SFV and that is about how long it takes me to get out there. It is tough to find a local range that will allow real practice for competition-type shooting since most don't allow holsters, moving around, or rapid firing.
Old 02-05-2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout323 View Post
I just mapped it, and it's about 1 hour 4 mins away from me. Not bad. Was just curious if there was anything closer as well... thanks.
As I understand it, there are some private clubs that work out of Angeles range but I don't hear much about them.

Tell you what...there is a match this Saturday. It costs nothing to watch. Come on by, introduce yourself and take a look. Everybody out there is nice and friendly and helpful. Follow the directions online. Talk to the cook (Latin Guns) under the shade of bay 3 if things have already started.

Like Mazda, I live in the SF valley and it takes me 45 minutes. Maybe I should carpool with Mazda.....
Old 02-05-2013, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed Jon View Post
I live in the SFV and that is about how long it takes me to get out there. It is tough to find a local range that will allow real practice for competition-type shooting since most don't allow holsters, moving around, or rapid firing.
Yeah, true. Or even metal targets. Angeles Shooting Range's metal targets are fun, but even then it's just recreational.
Old 02-05-2013, 3:04 PM

You can always view the weekly matches as training/practice especially if you are looking to shoot a major match. Norco USPSA cost $35/match, 6 stages every Saturday. The matches are open and welcoming. Let the match director.range officers know you are new (they see about hooking you up with an appropriate squad).

If you want to take a class, guys like Bob Hostetler at DTT and JoJo Vidanes at Norco Running Gun are readily accessible. There are other 'big name' guys that have classes too. I see Taran Butler and Bruce Gray around a bit more frequently than some of the others.
Old 02-05-2013, 3:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Norco charges $30/2 hrs so that's closer to you if you want to bring out targets and do some run-n-gun in your own private bay.
Old 02-05-2013, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
Norco charges $30/2 hrs so that's closer to you if you want to bring out targets and do some run-n-gun in your own private bay.
That sounds good too. Thanks!