Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-22-2014, 7:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Depends on the FFL...I know of 1 in my area that is doing DROS for SSE's up to 12/31 @ closing...but warning people it's at their own risk and any DOJ delays or rejected paperwork will result in weapon not being transferrable to them.

Seems too risky to me (and I've never had any delays or other issues getting through my 10 day wait), so I'm done for 2014 after the VP9 I just picked up last Thursday.
Old 12-22-2014, 7:41 AM

Also, if your buddy's FFL isn't already an SSE shop they'll need to buy a longer barrel and weld the extension on, then you'd need to convert it back yourself (presumably using the stock barrel shipped with the gun by the FFL) after taking possession.
Old 12-22-2014, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueMan View Post
Also, if your buddy's FFL isn't already an SSE shop they'll need to buy a longer barrel and weld the extension on, then you'd need to convert it back yourself (presumably using the stock barrel shipped with the gun by the FFL) after taking possession.
yeah, PITA...but thx for your reply
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", Mike Tyson
Old 12-26-2014, 8:19 PM

SSE Barrel for sale... $75. message me
Old 12-26-2014, 8:25 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsofguns View Post
SSE Barrel for sale... $75. message me
Maybe I'm naive - but what good are they now?
Old 12-26-2014, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
Maybe I'm naive - but what good are they now?
you might have a dealer that is willing to SSE for you, but has no available kits. provide your own barrel and you could still get DROSed by the 31st.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
you might have a dealer that is willing to SSE for you, but has no available kits. provide your own barrel and you could still get DROSed by the 31st.
OIC...on the premise that SSE deadline in based on DROS start date and not pick-up date...

I'm sure there are plenty of posts/threads about it - but... I wouldn't take the chance of documented acceptance of off roster pistol being converted after effective date...

This is not meant to open a can-o-worms... Just one guys comfort zone.

Regardless of deadline interpretation - it seems way late in the game to make a sse barrel sale... Again, just one guys perception ~
Old 12-26-2014, 11:39 PM

Just an FYI (no affiliation) Alquist Arms in Turlock is DROSing SSE until the 31st. I just picked up a HK VP9 today for $620. They had about 25 left.

For those who don't know Alquist is a great shop with awesome prices. They don't even charge a SSE fee. However, they can get extremely busy so be patient. Merry Christmas Calgunners.

One Big A$$ Mistake America
Old 12-31-2014, 4:44 PM

I want to thank those of you who've I done business with and purchased numerous pistols via SSE this year. I done business with several SSE LGS and I've had nothing but an excellent experience. All have been professional, timely and good to work with. To all of you, have a safe New Year and thank you for all of your hard work. This year has placed demands on the small business owner and they've gone above and beyond to meet their sales demand.....to ERB Works and 2A Zone, I thank you and God Bless
12 July 2022 Interviewed
22 Sept 2022 Authorized for firearm training
30 Sept 2022 Training Doc's sent to Unit
06 Oct 2022 Unit Acknowledged Receipt of Doc's
31 Oct 2022 Call for pickup
02 Nov 2022 Scheduled for pickup - Journey complete
Old 12-31-2014, 4:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

It's been quite a ride! It was a pleasure to provide the service. Thanks to everyone that trusted us to do it right.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 01-01-2015, 8:14 AM

Again, thanks for all the shops that provided this invaluable service. Now, I hope someone (more talented than I) replaces this great thread with a similar one detailing "Shops that do SAE conversions"
Old 01-01-2015, 8:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Fastest we have run since January 2013. Hope everyone got what the wished for and cheers to all in 2015!!!!!

Golden State Tactical <---click here >

An FORMER Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 8:59 AM
Vendor/Retailer

It has been quite a positive experience and it was our pleasure to help many Calguns members with their SSE needs.

SAE is something we will be offering and not just with revolvers...
More info to come soon after SHOT Show in a couple of weeks.

Happy New Year,
AT

Last edited by Addax; 01-02-2015 at 9:46 AM..
Old 01-02-2015, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

I also want to thank all of the FFL's who helped many get what they wanted despite overzealous and unconstitutional laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

Lifetime NRA member.
Old 01-02-2015, 9:49 AM
Administrator

Thread un-stuck.

Until the next work-around ...

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-09-2015, 8:22 AM

Default Transfer to CA

I work for Osprey Armament,an ITARS/FFL compliant company in Wilmington, NC. We got a lot of interest in our company at SHOT Show from individuals who live in California. I have a potential customer who lives in California and would like to purchase our MK-18 Pistol ( http://www.ospreyarmament.com/store/...l#.VNjrpp3F98E ). We are looking at our options at completing this sale, but doing it in a "California Legal" way. Because the law is very different from our laws in North Carolina, a lot of this is confusing. We would very much like input from people who have knowledge in doing this type of work. Please reply to this or email me. Thanks in advance for any help. We greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2015, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey_Armament6 View Post
I work for Osprey Armament,an ITARS/FFL compliant company in Wilmington, NC. We got a lot of interest in our company at SHOT Show from individuals who live in California. I have a potential customer who lives in California and would like to purchase our MK-18 Pistol ( http://www.ospreyarmament.com/store/...l#.VNjrpp3F98E ). We are looking at our options at completing this sale, but doing it in a "California Legal" way. Because the law is very different from our laws in North Carolina, a lot of this is confusing. We would very much like input from people who have knowledge in doing this type of work. Please reply to this or email me. Thanks in advance for any help. We greatly appreciate it.
You're out of luck unless you can get the pistol onto the California roster.
Old 02-09-2015, 9:15 AM

The short answer is you're most likely out of luck unless the roster law changes. There is a case challenging the roster but no one knows how long it will take to finalize.

If your customer is someone interested in one or a few, your options are very limited/impractical to the point of forgetting about it. As stated, for you as an FFL to sell to a CA civilian resident, it has to be on the roster or meet one of the roster exemption criterias (unlikely).

If your customer is someone interested in a large order(s), I'd suggest speaking with an experienced CA gun law attorney. Calguns has some recommendations.

Good luck if you pursue this. The more pressure on this issue the better.
Old 02-09-2015, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW67 View Post
You're out of luck unless you can get the pistol onto the California roster.
One option we had looked at was to sell everything but the stripped lower. Is that even a viable option?
Old 02-09-2015, 9:29 AM

You can build the pistol from a virgin reciever and ship it as a break top or bolt action single shot pistol.

Or you can ship all the parts and have the customer procure the lower.
Old 02-09-2015, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman01 View Post
You can build the pistol from a virgin reciever and ship it as a break top or bolt action single shot pistol.

Or you can ship all the parts and have the customer procure the lower.
The customer is able to procure an 80% lower or even a 0%, but will we be able to provide the parts for the lower or would the customer need to get the lower parts as well? I appreciate all the help, this has been very informative so far.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:03 AM

You can ship him the parts.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey_Armament6 View Post
The customer is able to procure an 80% lower or even a 0%, but will we be able to provide the parts for the lower or would the customer need to get the lower parts as well? I appreciate all the help, this has been very informative so far.
the only thing that CA really regulates in this case is the lower. if the customer procures his own pistol lower, the rest is just parts. you may sell lower parts kits and complete uppers without any regulation. just be aware that SBR constructive possession laws do apply federally and in CA, so he should have a pistol lower before he has a <16" upper in his possession, unless he owns no AR rifles that that upper could be used on.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.