Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-02-2013, 1:03 PM
Veteran Member

Default Anyone filed an appeal with the VA?

Wondering about how long it takes? Was denied a rating on PTSD on the grounds I didn't receive treatment or a diagnosis while active duty which is incorrect, and that I didn't make my C&P appointment. The C&P appointment was scheduled for Al, when I had been living in California for months and VA had my new address and was already sending me mail to my new address.

I started treatment for PTSD in Iraq in 2007 and continued it at Ft. Bragg up until my medical discharge in 2008, and had submitted documentation of that. Received another diagnosis from their treatment side here in Fresno in 2012.
Old 05-02-2013, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalriaden View Post
Wondering about how long it takes? Was denied a rating on PTSD on the grounds I didn't receive treatment or a diagnosis while active duty which is incorrect, and that I didn't make my C&P appointment. The C&P appointment was scheduled for Al, when I had been living in California for months and VA had my new address and was already sending me mail to my new address.

I started treatment for PTSD in Iraq in 2007 and continued it at Ft. Bragg up until my medical discharge in 2008, and had submitted documentation of that. Received another diagnosis from their treatment side here in Fresno in 2012.
Are you sure you want to be diagnosed w/ PTSD? I'm not saying live with it but you 2A may become a thing of the past.
Old 05-02-2013, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeff View Post
Are you sure you want to be diagnosed w/ PTSD? I'm not saying live with it but you 2A may become a thing of the past.
I'll...work around it. Simple fact is I do have it and need more help then just being thrown meds. If 2A becomes a problem then maybe it'll give CGF a good case.
Old 05-02-2013, 1:51 PM

Good luck, man. From what I hear VA has a one year backlog right now.
Old 05-02-2013, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenamunan View Post
Good luck, man. From what I hear VA has a one year backlog right now.
I filed my claim in 2011 and made the mistake of moving from alabama before it was over, but at the time my (now) exwife wanted to fix things between us and let me see kids which was more important.
Old 05-02-2013, 2:27 PM
Banned

OP- What area do you live in?
Old 05-02-2013, 2:34 PM

Quote:
What terrible advice.

A lot of people actually need the help that you get when given a diagnosis of ptsd not everyone is just trying to scheme money in disability (a lot are) but don't suggest that to someone you don't know. I don't know what mos you are in or if you are even in the military but I know(knew) a lot of guys who need the help a diagnosis of ptsd gives them.
Old 05-02-2013, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
What terrible advice.

A lot of people actually need the help that you get when given a diagnosis of ptsd not everyone is just trying to scheme money in disability (a lot are) but don't suggest that to someone you don't know. I don't know what mos you are in or if you are even in the military but I know(knew) a lot of guys who need the help a diagnosis of ptsd gives them.
Terrible advice? I just wanted to make sure the OP knew his 2A will be on the line after his PTSD is diagnosed if he actually has PTSD.

I have several friends that I served along side and a few have PTSD. They needed the help and I'm thankful they admitted it and went to the VA.

I didn't mention anything about scheming or scamming.
Old 05-02-2013, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertexplore View Post
OP- What area do you live in?
I'm in Visalia.

Quote:
Terrible advice? I just wanted to make sure the OP knew his 2A will be on the line after his PTSD is diagnosed if he actually has PTSD.
Believe me, even if I had it and felt I could make it without the meds and help I wouldn't bother filing for it, much less fighting the va over it. I've tried that route though and it's no bueno.
Old 05-02-2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:

I have several friends that I served along side and a few have PTSD. They needed the help and I'm thankful they admitted it and went to the VA.

I didn't mention anything about scheming or scamming.
It's terrible advice because you definitely don't suffer from PTSD or have truly seen a life ruined from PTSD by suggesting something like that.

OP my friend recently was going through an issue of not getting the meds he needed due to a doctor deciding he no longer needed them to carry on day to day but without them he was unfit for duty. He was so fed up he went to the main part of the base and saw someone walking around with shiny stars on his collar and approached him. 2 days later he was back on the meds he needed, obviously this is extreme but you can get help you just have to work for it. A more traditional and helpful route is writing a congressman. If yours sucks write someone in another district and explain that yours won't help. If you dig enough you will find someone willing to help you and the VA is backlogged but all it takes is 1 phone call by the right person to the right office to get your papers to the top.
Old 05-02-2013, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

My wife submitted an appeal, she used a DAV counselor, it went well, the DAV handled everything, and it went smooth. Her original paperwork was done by her.

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 05-02-2013, 8:36 PM

I was in the infantry. I was on a run and my knee gave out. I was hardly able to walk for a day, then had ongoing pain and physical difficultly for about 6 months while I chugged 800mg of Motrin about 3x daily. I was checked out and the incident was entered into my medical record. I wen to a military hospital 3 times for pain and was told I had 'over done it' and that that issue would resolve itself. Had MRI's done which found nothing, yet, at 23 was almost unable to go up a flight of stairs. I ended my enlistment and tried to get the knee to heal up by favoring the other knee....which then begin having the same issue, as recodred by the VA in my medical record. I filed for a claim for a number of common grunt related issues which all were related to the knees. I was evaluated by the VA doctor who told me I did in fact have mobility issues correlated to my career and the knee incident. The claim was denied 2x by the VA, even though I had numerous incidents in my military and civilian medical record, and the VA evaluator said it was all service related.

If you get denied once, just talk to a lawyer who specializes in VA claims. You have to play hard ball...or you will be ignored. Some people get disability in a heart beat (even without legit issues), some who have legit issues are denied until they throw a stink.

Good luck

Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Not attacking you by any means. But I've seen first hand the hurt both physical and emotional PTSD can do to somebody Marines I personally know before the war even staryed. People I knew were good people but somehow changed after their experiences.
While these people might care about their second amendment.... I believe living a meaningful and purposeful life means more than anything.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Oh yeah... OP get a rep from the DAV. Its free and they're a great resources. They know the process more than anybody and do this kind of thing on a daily basis.
Old 05-03-2013, 3:05 AM

Been fighting the same issues with the VA for a couple of years.
On going battle that I wont give up on.
Close to ruining my marriage before I went on meds. Wife had enough of my night terrors. Still have my rough days that no amount of meds will fix. Been doing a lot of rethinking on and of my future life. I do it for my family and grandsons.

Tom
Old 05-03-2013, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET E-7 View Post
Been fighting the same issues with the VA for a couple of years.
On going battle that I wont give up on.
Close to ruining my marriage before I went on meds. Wife had enough of my night terrors. Still have my rough days that no amount of meds will fix. Been doing a lot of rethinking on and of my future life. I do it for my family and grandsons.

Tom
My ex wife's dad fought for his since the 70s and I saw some of the effects on his PTSD for years . It wasn't up until a few years ago that he finally got the rating but the damaged the disease had done to him doesnt equal whatever benefits he got but I think the important part to him was the acknowledgement.
He eventually flew back to Vietnam and actually ended up getting re married. I think he was looking for some kind of closure.
Anyways moral is don't give up. Eventually someone will pull their head out of their asses and do something.
Old 05-05-2013, 5:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Just curious here but if you had a med discharge why didnt they run you through the VA/MEB people at the Soldier Support Center before kicking you out?
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 05-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

I got my initial rating, but the guy that reviewed the majority of my claim, was a PA, not an MD, and in my opinion, he sucked. I filed an appeal and it took about 13 months. I got my rating upgraded, but not to where I felt it should be. But I was tired of fighting them, so I left it alone and accepted where my rating ended up at.
Old 05-07-2013, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
Just curious here but if you had a med discharge why didnt they run you through the VA/MEB people at the Soldier Support Center before kicking you out?
Unit was deploying again and in a rush to get new bodies, they did the same thing about ten other soldiers I know.
Old 06-06-2013, 7:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
What terrible advice.

most people want MONEY from the va for PTSD. 0% will give you treatment but people want to try for the 20% so they can receive actual cash.
Old 06-06-2013, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

I had a bunch of issues but the va said you should have been here 6 months ago. I said im sorry I was in Iraq fighting a war. They said were sorry file a claim when you get out. And what do you know half my medical records are missing. It's a fight from hell. Broke my nose, have arthritis, blew out both my eardrums, sleep apnea, PTSD, rashes that no one can explain (oh wait one doc said it was back acne, the next time she called in two other docs and they said it was a rash, but they really don't know) periodic breathing problem. And all you can do is pray the va will say yes to anything
Old 06-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Banned

VA SUCKS they can go **** themselves. I did my initial disablity paperwork at the va (had to go wait 4 ours because they wanted to chat with each other then all go to lunch at the same time) finally after i was done (5 hours later) i was told in 45-60 days ill get a packet in the mail. well that never came and now they say i have to go back in and do it all over again. another 4 hour wait (when they are only open during normal business hours so i have to take time off work) its pathetic how do people get this done when they are working a full time job.