Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-19-2016, 6:25 PM

Default Sig P938 Seeking for protection

Very concerned for my Wife who is preparing to embark on a Real Estate career, specifically Ranch and Farm. Considering a very scary statistic that more Realtors in the Sacramento region (where she intends to work) die on the job than police and law enforcement, I have a very good reason for her to be protected and I myself cannot always be along for the ride. Though a mature lady, she's very easy on the eyes and could easily become a target. I feel personal protection, particularly in her business is a must where meth heads, tweekers, stalkers, rattlesnakes, yahoos, creeps and crazies run amuck!

I am looking to procure for her a Sig Sauer P938. Slightly used is ok but important that it be in great working order. I only have so much to spend but wanting to provide for my love the best I can.

She's the creative type and am particularly fond of anything shiny/stainless and with engraving. Think the female version of James Bond (her ol man was an Air Force test pilot and Thunderbird)

Thanks so much for your help!
-Jay
Old 07-19-2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndamnwright View Post
Very concerned for my Wife who is preparing to embark on a Real Estate career, specifically Ranch and Farm. Considering a very scary statistic that more Realtors in the Sacramento region (where she intends to work) die on the job than police and law enforcement, I have a very good reason for her to be protected and I myself cannot always be along for the ride. Though a mature lady, she's very easy on the eyes and could easily become a target. I feel personal protection, particularly in her business is a must where meth heads, tweekers, stalkers, rattlesnakes, yahoos, creeps and crazies run amuck!

I am looking to procure for her a Sig Sauer P938. Slightly used is ok but important that it be in great working order. I only have so much to spend but wanting to provide for my love the best I can.

She's the creative type and am particularly fond of anything shiny/stainless and with engraving. Think the female version of James Bond (her ol man was an Air Force test pilot and Thunderbird)

-Jay
Welcome to the forum. I recommend moving your post to the "want to buy" forum. Also, a sig 938 would typically sell for more than $1,000 in the marketplace. You might consider a less expensive gun and spend the balance on training/instruction/ammo. We all could use more training.

Last edited by muzzle_flip; 07-19-2016 at 6:34 PM.. Reason: typo correction
Old 07-19-2016, 6:40 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Wrong forum. And forget looks, think function, safety, and effectiveness. I don't recommend SAO autos as a carry gun for new shooters. If you must though, Sig P938 is gonna cost you a pretty penny in CA.

Old 07-19-2016, 7:35 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

why isn't she looking for her own self-protection?
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-20-2016, 10:21 AM

Wow, a tough breed of women here. Ok, uncle, uncle! I stand corrected. Admittedly, it's me who's in love with the Sig but she who undoubtedly will be using it most all the time. My trips to the river are much more infrequent. Lesson learned that she needs the protection more than I and important that she gets exactly what she wants.
Old 07-20-2016, 6:36 PM

you, sir, are a very quick learner!

get her a gift certificate to a gun store, get her a present of lessons, take her out to a gun shop to handle guns and then a nice dinner after, let her find the gun that speaks to her because it will be useless unless she practices with it. personally I found renting as many pistols as possible to be extremely helpful.....

you can be "involved" but at the end of the day I hope she acknowledges your concern for her safety, gets her certificate, picks out a pistol that fits her hand and that she will practice with, etc. oh, and getting her CCW would also be a priority!

good luck and, please, let us know what She selects for her self-protection!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-20-2016, 6:58 PM

Yes Dear
Old 07-20-2016, 8:37 PM
Banned

I second the idea of having her try to find what she likes. The P938 is a heck of a pistol to handle. My P938 has more perceived recoil than my Glock 23. I would consider the .380 ACP in subcompact format.

I saw a video review of .380 pistols a while ago with a group of women shooters and the Glock 42 came out on top with its full size sights and controls.

Also consider a j-frame or other snub nose in .22LR. This is a consideration because the attack she would be facing may require contact shots and a revolver can't be pushed out of battery against a foe.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 AM

I love shooting my P238 & P938, but the trigger edges are kinda sharp & need to be smoothed out. The trigger is nothing like my P220.

But for carry, there are much better options I think. If the gun is for your wife, rent a few, or a lot, and let her figure out what feels good for her. Just beware, it's pretty addicting and she may want more than one.
Old 07-21-2016, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagal View Post
I love shooting my P238 & P938, but the trigger edges are kinda sharp & need to be smoothed out. The trigger is nothing like my P220.

But for carry, there are much better options I think. If the gun is for your wife, rent a few, or a lot, and let her figure out what feels good for her. Just beware, it's pretty addicting and she may want more than one.

amen to that! I started out purchasing one snubby revolver and then I ended up with a stable of revolvers and semi-auto pistols as well as a few rifles.
Quote:
Old 07-21-2016, 2:50 PM

Here's one closer to you. Overpriced though. http://www.armslist.com/posts/544851...-for-sale--938
Old 07-22-2016, 1:21 AM

The Sig 238 HD is .380acp its a bit smaller than the 938, but very soft shooting, and on roster. Only issue i take with the rostered 238 is it has a Mag Disconnect which can get you in trouble if you bumped your mag release in daily activities. The rostered Shield has the same thing but besides that another very popular rostered carry gun, my GF carries the Off Roster Shield 99% of the time with a 938 and Walther PPS as backup
Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndamnwright View Post

-Jay
The Sig is not the weapon to choose for many reasons. Start with looking at a 9mm S@W Shield if you are concerned for the Mrs. Rattle snakes are dispatched with a shovel.
Old 07-23-2016, 7:23 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

OP:

Give this a read-thru:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=357584
Old 07-25-2016, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

This is how my wife and I did it:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=910460

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA spends more money in CA than it takes in from here. Please stop spreading misinformation.
-
sbrady@Michel&Associates
Read the full post about NRA activities in CA here.
Old 07-25-2016, 6:45 PM

My daughter has the P238 and loves it. Fits her hand, muzzle flip is minimal and definitely small enough for purse, pouch and maybe even pocket carry. She is moving from Alabama to Humboldt county in a few weeks...hopefully they are more ccw friendly there, than in Santa Clara county!
Old 08-03-2016, 9:25 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

There's one for sale in my sig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 08-03-2016, 10:02 PM

ive got a stainless steel p938 for sale