Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 AM

Default new barrel in 1911, new problem

Im hoping someone can help me with this. I just bought an Ed Bear replacement semi drop in barrel for my Springfield 1911, 45 ca.

"Luckily", all the lugs seem to line up etc. and it doesn't appear anything needs to be filed. It cycles great.... up until I put in the spring and assemble.
Its as if the spring is now 3x more heavy duty than it was and pulling back the slide is a very difficult.

Can anyone give me an idea of where I should start to look to find what's going on? I can't see how filing anything would loosen it up.

Could it somehow be an issue with the link???

thx
Old 10-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Provided the barrel actually does fit properly it sounds like a timing issue. Hard to say based on the info provided though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2018, 10:50 AM

The barrel sure seems to fit.(my first time doing this in case you haven't figured that out). The hood slide sides look like the fit is good. When the barrel is up it doesn't slide or move at all when I press it forward. In fact, without the spring, everything seems to work perfectly. Can you suggest something else I should try to be sure the barrel is fitted properly? The instructions that came with are not helpful.
It loads rounds fine, safety and hammer work yadda, yadda.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default new barrel in 1911, new problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
The barrel sure seems to fit.(my first time doing this in case you haven't figured that out). The hood slide sides look like the fit is good. When the barrel is up it doesn't slide or move at all when I press it forward. In fact, without the spring, everything seems to work perfectly. Can you suggest something else I should try to be sure the barrel is fitted properly? The instructions that came with are not helpful.

It loads rounds fine, safety and hammer work yadda, yadda.

If the width of the hood fits (test by putting slide on frame and slide barrel in through front of slide with bushing on to see if it slides into place). This will ensures not only width is right but it fits when the barrel is in the proper orientation as well.

If that passes. Then take slide off and again with barrel and bushing in slide only, does the barrel slide to the breach face and then up into top lugs? push up into position and come back out with a very slight click or less resistance? If it does move on

Now with the link off the barrel put the slide back on with barrel and bushing installed. Slide the slide back and put the slide stop pin in and see if the slide will move all the way forward as if going into battery. There can be slight resistance but not too much. If that all passes the barrel “fits”.

Measure the distance between the bottom edge of the link pin hole to the bottom of the lower lugs. This will help determine which link you need for proper timing. Once that measurement is determined and you know which link you need then put the link on and put gun together without the guide rod and spring. Turn gun upside down so gravity allows barrel to hang down into top lugs. Carefully slide the slide back and see if the link down links the barrel out of the top lugs without any hanging up as they rotate out of the locking lugs.

Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 10-21-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Old 10-21-2018, 6:13 PM

Check to see if the guide rod head is hitting the lower lugs. If so, you'll need to clearance either part.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Are the lugs chamfered?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Are the lugs chamfered?

Lugs chamfered!? Which lugs?

Old 10-22-2018, 11:16 AM

No, no camfer
I had written ED BROWN and received the following reply. I had asked specifically about the link.

Steve,

If its moving freely without the spring, then the barrel should not require any additional fitting. Double check to make sure the gun is reassembled correctly.

Please let us know if we can help.

What I have done is blackened the link area and cycled the slide a bunch of times. There were no wear marks. I have not pulled the link yet, but in measureing both the new and the old, I could not find any difference. Now whether that means anything with a new barrel I don't know.
Brett I haven't followed your suggestion as yet. (I hate driving out pins, they never want to go back in again)
Is your shop located in San Diego by any chance? Would you guess cost wise how much I'd be looking at if I took it to someone who knows what to do?

Thx everyone
Old 10-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
No, no camfer

I had written ED BROWN and received the following reply. I had asked specifically about the link.

Steve,

If its moving freely without the spring, then the barrel should not require any additional fitting. Double check to make sure the gun is reassembled correctly.

Please let us know if we can help.

What I have done is blackened the link area and cycled the slide a bunch of times. There were no wear marks. I have not pulled the link yet, but in measureing both the new and the old, I could not find any difference. Now whether that means anything with a new barrel I don't know.

Brett I haven't followed your suggestion as yet. (I hate driving out pins, they never want to go back in again)

Is your shop located in San Diego by any chance? Would you guess cost wise how much I'd be looking at if I took it to someone who knows what to do?

Thx everyone

I am in Corona, CA. If you want to swing by one weekend (Friday through Sunday works best for everyone) I can look at it and let you know what I find.

Every barrel requires measuring to determine what size link. They are all different. No clue why some barrel manufacturers are sending a link with their barrels as it just doesn’t work that way.

Old 10-22-2018, 5:40 PM

yeah bite the bullet and have it looked at. Whatever the cost is worth it.
I got a new springfield loaded and had all the internal replaced with tool steel.

My smith also checked and re timesd the barrel now is great though the stock sights still suck and the thing was so sharp you cut your hand working it.
Old 10-22-2018, 9:54 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

I know this is probably a dumb question/request...

Have you tried putting the old barrel back in? Does it feel fine with the recoil spring installed?
Old 10-23-2018, 9:00 AM

I cant reinstall the old barrel. Kinda of embarrassing... If I said the words "didn't know I had a squib" would that give a clue?

I am thinking about just trying to change the old link with the new, they appear to be the same size except the new one is a lot thicker.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I cant reinstall the old barrel. Kinda of embarrassing... If I said the words "didn't know I had a squib" would that give a clue?

I am thinking about just trying to change the old link with the new, they appear to be the same size except the new one is a lot thicker.
Honestly, I think you should have Brett look at it.
Old 10-23-2018, 6:54 PM

+1 for letting Brett help you. Money well spent.
Old 10-24-2018, 4:04 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcGurk View Post
+1 for letting Brett help you. Money well spent.

Thanks. I was offering to even just take a look at it and give advice for free of what the problem is to start.

Old 10-24-2018, 8:21 AM

Yes that would be great and I really appreciate the offer. It's just I am currently not up to a 200 mile drive.
If my current situation changes I'll send Brett a note and see if his offer still holds.

Thx guys!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am currently not up to a 200 mile drive.
I get guys driving from Phoenix, San Francisco and Salt Lake City to have me do work for them...

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 11-21-2018, 9:54 AM

Hi everyone and once again thanks for your responses. I know you've probably had many a sleepless night wondering what the status of my problem is. I returned the Ed Brown barrel and bought a Wilson. The pistol cycles better than it did however...…..

With this new barrel when I put in a loaded magazine (with some force) the pistol goes into battery by itself. This does not happen when the mag is empty or if I gently put in the loaded mag.
I don't remember my old barreled 1911 doing this. Is this unusual?
Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
With this new barrel when I put in a loaded magazine (with some force) the pistol goes into battery by itself. This does not happen when the mag is empty or if I gently put in the loaded mag.
I don't remember my old barreled 1911 doing this. Is this unusual?
Use less force.

The barrel has nothing to do with your slide stop getting bumped off by you inserting the magazine too swiftly.
If you really want to stop that from happening with a mechanical solution instead of an operator training solution, you can re-shape the stop notch in the slide and the end of the slide stop surface to have more of an angle that makes it harder to trip.

Old 11-21-2018, 2:34 PM

Ok, great. Thanks AR!
Old 11-21-2018, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

I got the same barrel for my Springfield 1911 MilSpec. It required some fitting. The hood needed shortening about .050", plus the sides of the rear locking lug needed to be slightly relieved. It then needed to be finish reamed, which is the norm for aftermarket 1911 barrels.
I installed a similar Ed Brown barrel in my Rock Island 1911 last year and it required hood fitting, as well as the typical finish reaming.