Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 2:44 PM

Default Please recommend paintball setup for bobcat, coyote, deer

My house is getting completely overrun by wild animals. Scary part is they seem almost fearless. Something regularly up-ends my trashcan. It's a vendor provided can that I'm not allowed to modify. They won't empty it if I leave a cinder block on top to keep it closed. I see a bobcat mamma with two cubs that I see about once a month. I see coyote almost nightly as well as deer. I'm regularly woken up at night by clattering. Our flowers are always completely eaten.

My pest control guy recommended a paintball gun and said these animals have a long memory if zapped in the rump. I've read about ballistic paintball and am wondering what the best rig (for a reasonable price) would be. I'd like it to be as powerful as possible... Hopefully enough to leave a welt on a deer or similar.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 PM

Awe, common. I gotta shoot me some ca-yōt
Old 10-22-2018, 9:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A paintball gun may work in the beginning for deer and coyotes, but they'll get used to it and then ignore it.

I knew someone being overrun by deer, and he tried a paintball gun. It worked in the beginning, but then they got used to it. He could pelt them relentlessly and all they'd do is flinch with each shot, look up and glare at him, then continue to eat. They'll also figure out when you're asleep and that's when they come. Unless you plan on never sleeping, they'll get your plants.

A paintball gun might work on bobcats. But bobcats aren't much of a pest unless you have chickens, rabbits, cats, or small dogs.

Skunks, pigs, and raccoons will tear up your yard. Raccoons will also tear up your trash.

Good luck.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Some critters do like to eat the paint. So you may attract more problems than you solve.
Old 10-22-2018, 1:25 PM

Paintball gun with pepper balls would probably work. I would reccomend you contact your local animal control officer and game warden so you dont end up in jail for animal cruelty or violating game laws. This is CA afterall and im sure those critters have more rights than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofmayhem View Post
Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 10-22-2018, 6:50 PM

Ask a game warden what he thinks about using a paintball gun to shoot deer. I'm fairly sure it's considered harassment in most states, not just California and is severely punishable. Good luck
Old 10-22-2018, 6:58 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Freeze the paintballs.
Old 10-22-2018, 6:58 PM

I’m watching this thread and the local news. Can’t wait to read/hear the bed wetting headlines about the horrible cruelty put on these innocent, defenseless little animals.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:25 AM

This is a terrible idea.... plus, who is gonna clean up all the paint, paintball shells up....?? In the beginning, it might not seem all that bad, but will become a real PITA after awhile.... then again there are biodegradable paintballs, so theres that...

Mil sim RAP4.
Old 10-24-2018, 9:46 PM

Default Paintball sentry

There's a cool invention this guy came up with called the paintball sentry , look it up on youtube its pricy but 100% effective. I gurantee once any animal is hit at 380 to 400 feet per second, they will be on there way its humane but effective.
Old 11-06-2018, 4:08 PM

Since y'all were of ZERO help, I did my own research and there are a bunch of companies that sell animal control paintball setups. Clear, odorless, environmentally friendly paintballs.

Old 11-06-2018, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What about Airsoft? Plastic BB's are cheap and you can go full auto on those deer

OP, PM me if you're in the Pasadena area ever I'l let you borrow my airsoft rifle, it's nothing special, but it keeps the neighborhood squirrels away....
Old 11-06-2018, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

I am partial to the Tipmann X7 Phenom.

https://www.tippmann.com/p/x7-phenom?pp=24

Old 11-20-2018, 12:29 PM

sorry didn't chime in earlier, but just ran across this. i still play paintball and was really indulging that in my midlife crisis before i decided to buy real guns and found calguns

just last year one of our family friends landscaped his entire front yard including flower beds and new grass. he'd come out in the mornings only to find that the newly laid sod had been literally rolled back up. discovered thru his ring cam that raccoons were coming at night to feast on the grubs underneath. he'd unroll the grass, the next morning it was rolled up again. he staked down the corners/edges, turned on the sprinklers, used an airsoft gun, tried my paintball gun, etc... all with varying degrees of success. mostly they'd get chased off but would just return the next day.

a couple things to note right off the bat re the paintball idea:

-you can't freeze paintballs. the shell will shrink and dimple making them hook hard left and right. no joke, you'll be 50/50 at 10 yards
-pepperballs are damn near useless. known to either break in the gun (bad) or not break on the target (bad). admittedly a lot of this has to do with storage. but still....
-paintball shells are made of gelatin and do not fair well with extended exposure or humidity. dispense a bag when you plan to go on 'watch' or whatever. keep the desiccant pack with the rest.
-each paintball mfg uses a different mix. i've never heard of animals liking the chemical cocktail that's inside, but if they do like it, just try a different brand.
-paintballs are also designed to be non staining. even when dry on pavement it can be easily cleaned up with a garden hose. also, different mfg paints will leave a ghost mark on masonry and paint, so keep that in mind if you have a brick wall or concrete. not a big deal if you wash it reasonably soon tho. only pita is bits of shell left over. but not that big a deal if you're used to cleaning up your brass at a range.
-if you do try paintball for this, the actual gun is almost an afterthought. a good barrel matched to the size of a high grade paintball is how you get accuracy. if you thought cheap guns were inaccurate and inconsistent, you'll be really impressed with how inaccurate a paintball gun can be. don't cheap out on the paint.
-all modern paintball guns will shoot the normal 280fps. you can adjust them all past 300, but if you go crazy you'll just break paint inside the gun.
-air source. go with hpa (high pressure air). co2 is all but phased out and it's woefully inconsistent in cold temps like now or in the evenings/early morning. plus you can put hpa on any modern gun

for your purposes, look at the azodin kaos. it's a super cheap gun you don't actually want to play paintball with, but it's semi, no electronics, and most importantly it uses autococker barrel threads so barrel choices are endless.
here's the amazon of paintball https://www.ansgear.com/

fwiw, my understanding from people who've tried this is that success is highly dependent on the particular animal. some have a thick hide and hardly notice hits. others are super easy to spook and even if you miss, the sound of the paintball gun will chase em off. raccoons?? they don't givafuq

best of luck op
Old 11-20-2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
My house is getting completely overrun by wild animals. Scary part is they seem almost fearless. Something regularly up-ends my trashcan. It's a vendor provided can that I'm not allowed to modify. They won't empty it if I leave a cinder block on top to keep it closed. I see a bobcat mamma with two cubs that I see about once a month. I see coyote almost nightly as well as deer. I'm regularly woken up at night by clattering. Our flowers are always completely eaten.

My pest control guy recommended a paintball gun and said these animals have a long memory if zapped in the rump. I've read about ballistic paintball and am wondering what the best rig (for a reasonable price) would be. I'd like it to be as powerful as possible... Hopefully enough to leave a welt on a deer or similar.
Sounds like the woods are telling you "Quit doing that!" It's easier to work with nature than to fight it.
Old 11-20-2018, 1:25 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Get a Tippman A5. it will work. Unless the gun is turned down to like 100fps nothing likes to get shot with a paintball. (Played and invested *wasted* more money on paintball stuff) than i even know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 11-21-2018, 4:04 AM

You must have alot of first world problems leave the little critters alone.you can buy deer pellets you sprinkle in your garden to keep them from eating your flowers .
Old 11-21-2018, 5:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Electric fence around problem areas.
Old 11-21-2018, 5:05 AM

The Gardner’s use Irish Spring Soap shavings in the flower beds to prevent the deer from eating the flowers. It’s Supposed to work pretty good. YMMV.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:50 PM

Chances are if you have coyotes, you also have ground squirrels, raccoons and rabbits. Remove the food supply and coyotes will go elsewhere. I doubt that the coyotes are doing damage to your lawn and shrubs but those other critters likely are. A good .22 PCP pellet rifle like a Benjamin Marauder is whisper quiet (neighborhood-friendly) and would be very effective at controlling the critter population. Up to 50-60 yards, capable of 1" groups easy!

Be wary about using poisons as they can impact animals you don't want to eliminate. Traps are also problematic, even illegal to relocate certain species in CA.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Any non game or game mammal you take requires a hunting license remember. Only exemption is depredation permit.