Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-22-2018, 8:52 AM

Default Forest Road Closures

"The managers of the four Southern California national forest units are increasingly closing roads and even walk-in access to vast areas of public lands, often in direct conflict of their own forest plans and policy guidelines. Hunters are frequently the most impacted by fall-winter restrictions."

Happening in NorCal too

http://www.vvdailypress.com/sports/2...recreationists

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna be dictators or traitors.

No old fools for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 10-22-2018, 9:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Closing FS roads has been going on for a long time here.

Why is not perfectly clear, but have my suspicion's, an don't believe it has to do with any safety concerns.
Old 10-22-2018, 9:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Forestry blades the roads and makes back country accessible to too many people.
Trash, graffiti, illegal campfires, damage to the watershed ensue and boom, they close the road.
They just bladed the first half of the Miller Jeep Trail here in SoCal, removing many obstacles that kept the riff raff out. Hopefully we'll get some heavy rains this winter to damage the road and make it inaccessible to the riff raff.
Old 10-22-2018, 9:47 AM

They closed 2 paved roads here in socal. They say fire but I have pictures of the little tiny 3 acre lot that burned and the vast expanses of unburned closed NATIONAL forest!
Old 10-22-2018, 5:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Accelerated by the Instagramers?
Old 10-24-2018, 6:36 PM

Nothing new. It’s easier to close roads & trails (motorized vehicle access) than to manage the NF. Plays right into Sierra Club plans.
Old 10-29-2018, 8:21 AM

New FS maps don't show many roads and mines that are on old maps.

No more dems, rinos, commies, , pinkos, crooks, pedos, frauds, idiots, lunatics, wanna be dictators or traitors.

No old fools for President from any party.

The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. Donald J. Trump 1/7/21
Old 10-30-2018, 3:14 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Well Six Rivers Nat'l Forest has been doing seasonal road closures for over 25+ years, from back when I had worked for the US Forest Circus.

https://kymkemp.com/2018/10/28/six-r...ar-protection/

EUREKA, Calif. – With the anticipation of fall rains, Six Rivers National Forest Supervisor Ted McArthur has announced that some roads and campgrounds in the central and northern parts of the forest will be closed to motor-vehicle use within the week to reduce the risk of spreading Phytophthora lateralis (PL), the non-native pathogen that causes Port-Orford-cedar (POC) root disease.

These seasonal road and campground closures are in effect until road surfaces dry out in late spring or early summer, minimizing the potential spread of the disease. Under wet conditions, pathogen-laden soil is easily spread from infested to non-infested areas by vehicle tires and hiking boots, as well as horse hooves and dog paws.

“Even if you’re just hiking in these wet areas, cleaning off your muddy boots before walking behind a closed gate can prevent the spread of the disease from one watershed to another,” said Jeff Jones, the forest’s vegetation program manager. He added, “It’s important to observe these POC road closures, because the pathogen generally doesn’t spread into areas where there is no access.”
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbutold View Post
New FS maps don't show many roads and mines that are on old maps.
Those old maps are like gold to hunters who know what to look for.
Old 11-10-2018, 5:10 AM
Veteran Member

Like others have said, Forrest road closures have been suspicious for decades. About 20+ years ago, I was on a letter and phone call campaign to the Cleveland Nat’l Forrest director dude. I even remember his name, “Clem Lerosa.” I hammered them as to why specific gates on public land were always closed in the orange and riverside county areas. At first their robotic response was “fire danger.” However when I pointed out that it was Jan-Feb during a normal rain season, they suddenly changed their story.

They then claimed that the gates were now open, yet after five seperate attempts to drive up to various gates in both counties, I found them all to be locked. So the next thing I did was actually show up to the Forrest offices themselves to complain.

Their new story was “well we believe someone illegally is in possession of our gate key and they must be locking it themselves.” This crap went on for about a year. It was a futile battle. Nothing changes with NF red tape and the maze which leads to nowhere.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-10-2018, 5:54 AM

What's the punishment for going around a gate? All my favorite places I used to go in the Los Padres National Forest have been closed for years. When I've called the ranger station they give me the same BS about the road being damaged and they won't open it until it's repaired.
Old 11-10-2018, 6:19 AM

I’m curious as well ^ I’ve tried to go to a 8 out of the 9 I like going too because of the seclusion and 6 of them were closed
Old 11-10-2018, 6:40 AM
Veteran Member

Arrow

For the first time about 50 bucks last I remember, at least that's what I have seen, subject to the US Magistrate. The Rangers really hate that.
Old 11-10-2018, 7:25 AM

What’s 50 bucks? The fine for going around a gate? That just means a deer tag went from $30 to $80. Price seems fair to me... it costs more in fuel to get there and back on a single trip.

Last edited by racinjason233; 11-10-2018 at 7:27 AM..