Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-10-2013, 9:43 AM

Default AR scope for Ladies?

I posted this in the optics forum but also wanted to get the "Ladies" opinion. My question is this; I built a light weight AR system for the girlfriend. I want to put a basic scope which is decent quality but under $200 or less. She will not be shooting over 200 yards. What have you used and recommend.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Oh, Yay! Now we have "THE Girlfriend" in addition to THE Wife...

Someone please explain to me what the difference is between a scope for a woman and a scope for a man?

(OP, forgive my snarks, but you have accidentally stepped into a couple of running jokes on the Women's Forum. It's not your fault and no offense intended. We'll explain if you like. We do welcome sincere gentlemen here.)

...................................End of Snarks ..................................................

But seriously, I bought a Cabela's Alpha Series Scope for $ 75 (regularly $149) on sale at Christmas time and have been very happy with it. It weighs about 13 oz. I don't know the actual manufacturer. I'm no sharpshooter, and I don't believe in spending double the value of the gun on a scope, so the Cabela's was fine for me. I was so happy with it, I bought a second one the next week.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alpha-Series-Riflescope/1243716.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100187%26Ne%3D5100187%26Ntk%3DA llProducts%26Ntt%3Dcabela%2527s%2Bscope%26Ntx%3Dmo de%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form _state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dcabela%2527s%2Bscop e%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D-1027%26y%3D-51&Ntt=cabela's+scope&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 07-10-2013 at 10:57 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 PM

I'd recommend that you check out the Leupold make.

Unless they've made recent changes, their scopes are 'made in USA' and both of excellent optical quality, and reliably strong construction.

They will be more expensive, in 'first cost' compared to the oriental-made scopes commonly offered.......but, out in the real world, 'theres no free lunch'. Try sighting through an oriental-made scope, in varying light conditions, and then doing the same with a Leupold.....you'll see the difference, and it is a significant difference, if you intend to consistently hit where you mean to hit.

I don't have an AR myself, and don't particularly care for the 'subjective feel' of the 'mouse gun'.....purely a personal feeling, to be sure......but I did get a scope intended for use on the M16, the 'ART' sniper scope built by Leatherwood, with its inbuilt 'range finder' stadia line.

Its mount is set up with a cam which adjusts scope elevation and reads range when the operator rotates its setting ring, to have the internal stadia line subtend 18" on the target. I don't use the cam, as its calibrated for the 5.56 round. I have the scope on a pre-64 M70 in .270, for which no ballistic cam was available. The optical quality of the Leatherwood scope compares favourably with the Leupold make.

If you can justify the investment for the Leatherwood ART scope system, you'd find it an excellent investment in convenience and accuracy.

If you handicap her rifle with a 'brand X' scope, to save some $ now, you'll be sorry, in the long run.

cheers

Carla
Old 07-10-2013, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Oh, Yay! Now we have "THE Girlfriend" in addition to THE Wife...

Someone please explain to me what the difference is between a scope for a woman and a scope for a man?

(OP, forgive my snarks, but you have accidentally stepped into a couple of running jokes on the Women's Forum. It's not your fault and no offense intended. We'll explain if you like. We do welcome sincere gentlemen here.)

...................................End of Snarks ..................................................

But seriously, I bought a Cabela's Alpha Series Scope for $ 75 (regularly $149) on sale at Christmas time and have been very happy with it. It weighs about 13 oz. I don't know the actual manufacturer. I'm no sharpshooter, and I don't believe in spending double the value of the gun on a scope, so the Cabela's was fine for me. I was so happy with it, I bought a second one the next week.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Alpha-Series-Riflescope/1243716.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100187%26Ne%3D5100187%26Ntk%3DA llProducts%26Ntt%3Dcabela%2527s%2Bscope%26Ntx%3Dmo de%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form _state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dcabela%2527s%2Bscop e%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D-1027%26y%3D-51&Ntt=cabela's+scope&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
Burning question in my mind is.......

wait for it.......

wait.........

wait........

Is it PINK?!?!?!

I like Eotech.
“Strong Enough for a Man, Made for a Woman”

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 07-10-2013 at 1:30 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 1:29 PM

Thank you for the great break down. I know you get what you pay for and there's no getting around it. I took a look at the Leatherwood Camputer ART M-1000 and it looks like a good scope but heavy.

I guess I would not like to be referred as "the boyfriend" either...point taken. I'll say this though..."the girlfriend" will get the cheap scope and girlfriend 2.0 "the wife" will get the Leupold
Old 07-10-2013, 4:13 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

LOL, littleoldlady, that was my first thought, too, when I saw the thread title!

cheap doesn't mean not functional.....you want her to enjoy this rifle and go to the range with you......and who knows, she may graduate to the 2.0 version!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-10-2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
LOL, littleoldlady, that was my first thought, too, when I saw the thread title!

cheap doesn't mean not functional.....you want her to enjoy this rifle and go to the range with you......and who knows, she may graduate to the 2.0 version!
I have only been on the forums a week or so and if I ever see a pink gun or hear pink anything again, I think I will be very ill.

Someone needs to make a sticky banning the word 'pink' 'the girlfriend' the wife' and any permutation thereof!

One may say, 'My girlfriend','My Wife', 'My boyfriend' or 'My Husband'......

Last edited by LittleOldLady; 07-10-2013 at 6:02 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 6:02 PM

didn't I say you were going to fit right in?!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 07-10-2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
didn't I say you were going to fit right in?!
LMAO

I have a weird sense of humor...

Like I posted in another thread the sticky needs to be in............you guessed it....PINK.

That you did!
Old 07-17-2013, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKUltra View Post
I posted this in the optics forum but also wanted to get the "Ladies" opinion. My question is this; I built a light weight AR system for the girlfriend. I want to put a basic scope which is decent quality but under $200 or less. She will not be shooting over 200 yards. What have you used and recommend.
Why assume that only the "ladies" need a light weight, decent quality, and low cost scope option. I am on the tail end of the baby boom generation and recent shoulder problems (both sides) and surgery on the left side has me considering light weight options. I am also not a fan of the AR platform.

Now, I am a high school teacher and I can assure you that some in the up and coming generation of young ladies do not fit in with your preconceived notions. Two years ago I had a young lady as a student who shot M1 Garands competitively, and often placed in the top 3 of the matches she competed in. I have had several young ladies race at our local dirt track. One of my students just started stock car circuit after getting a few sponsors upon graduation. Another does off-road racing.

Stop telling the ladies what they need. Let them enjoy researching and discovering what will fit their individual needs just like you do. If she asks you, fine, give an opinion and then say others have a different opinion, read about it here. If you are planning to marry, if she ends up finding what you say is a perfect solution for her is not, all it does is teach her to trust you less. Have her try many and decide what will fit her needs. If it is supposed to be hers to use, then she needs to select it. If it is really for you, then do not play that game of buying for her so you can use it for yourself. Just buy it for yourself.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Still waiting to be told what the difference is the difference between a scope for a woman and a scope for a man....
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Lol I the he was scared away
Old 07-18-2013, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

I have to get in on the poor guy bashing b/c this is too funny...
What is the difference between the girlfriends 'lightweight' AR system compared to a normal AR system? I'm so confused.

Ok back on topic...
I prefer Trijicon because it's battery less and built like a tank. However, that's out of your price range. How about Nikon?
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 07-18-2013, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
I have to get in on the poor guy bashing b/c this is too funny...
What is the difference between the girlfriends 'lightweight' AR system compared to a normal AR system? I'm so confused.

Ok back on topic...
I prefer Trijicon because it's battery less and built like a tank. However, that's out of your price range. How about Nikon?
'Cause the ladies scope is pink........
Old 07-20-2013, 11:12 AM

^^^roflmao
Old 07-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Can you tell that we women just want the lines to be fair? We like gums, place and simple. If I want cute on a gun, then let me put it there. If I shoot a weapon and it fits me, that's the key right there fit and function.

Let your woman shoot and see what she likes have her write a wish list then do your shopping from her list, not what you want her to have.

If it is a tech on a gun question then any answer that fits a man should preform perfectly for a women.
Old 07-20-2013, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Poor guy, I think we ran him off.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 07-21-2013, 2:00 AM

Great thread Girls.. seems you're not much different than the Guys.

And yes, my avatar is pink.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-21-2013, 7:13 AM

sdkevin, welcome.

if you had been here the last couple of years you'd understand what this forum is about and why we have an attitude. some of it is "historical" record and can be found in older threads.....and some the mods deleted because too many of the OT guys thought they'd overrun this forum. didn't happen and won't happen.

and admittedly we, the women of calguns, do get tired of the same questions and the same assumptions some of which revolve around but are not limited to the color "pink".
Quote:
Old 07-21-2013, 9:45 AM

Quote:
sdkevin, welcome.

if you had been here the last couple of years you'd understand what this forum is about and why we have an attitude. some of it is "historical" record and can be found in older threads.....and some the mods deleted because too many of the OT guys thought they'd overrun this forum. didn't happen and won't happen.
Got it, aint new here.

I suggest if you want a "special" forum then don't call it "Ladies" only.. you just attract attention.

Better yet.. tell a Mod to block Guys!!! But you won't do that because you want the attention... hence, your post.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".

Last edited by sdkevin; 07-21-2013 at 9:48 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
I suggest if you want a "special" forum then don't call it "Ladies" only.. you just attract attention.

And how are brand new women members supposed to find a ladies forum if it's not identified as a ladies' forum?

Quote:
Better yet.. tell a Mod to block Guys!!! But you won't do that because you want the attention... hence, your post.

Blocking men from this section is not feasible. How is CalGuns supposed to verify that a member is a woman or not?

We want the attention? WTF? No.

No, I don't want a gazillion guys coming in here to ask us what color pink would be best for his wife's first revolver.

No, I don't want to have conversations with men who repeatedly come here and ask the women for advice about what gun to buy for their wives -- because she's super snowflake special and the hundred previous threads by other husbands didn't sufficiently answer the question. After all, no one's hands are as small as hers and surely we ladies have some insight on tiny-handed women and what gun would work for her personally even though we've never met her.

You get it?

Quote:

Better yet....how about men be welcome here but learn how to behave themselves by:

a) Not asking the same questions over and over again

b) Not posting dumb sexual innuendos or posting photos of scantily clad women because they thought this was the leer-at-women forum

c) Not seeing the word "Ladies" and get all excited about it

And BTW, I like the Hello Kitty avatar....

BK
Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 AM

good post, BK!

perhaps it might also help to realize that we didn't name this forum or set the rules. Mr K did. its his website and he created this particular forum as well as set the rules....just like he did for the entire website. don't like it? take it up with him.

sdkevin, you are a calgun newbie with a January 2013 join date. my polite attempt to explain what you found here in this particular forum ended up with you posting again as a " dude with a 'tude" proving once again that Mr K was actually right in creating this forum..... which I originally did not support, btw.
Quote:
Old 07-21-2013, 2:31 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
Great thread Girls.. seems you're not much different than the Guys.

And yes, my avatar is pink.
+1
Let's keep input to the OP's question on a constructive level. Remember, there are no stupid questions. We are all here to learn, grow and be better Calgunners.

If you can't keep it civil, mama always said if you don't have anything nice to say...
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 07-21-2013, 3:13 PM

just curious, lgm: have you been appointed a mod for this the Ladies Forum?
Quote:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 AM

Folks,

to clarify, gentlemen are always welcome here on the Women's Forum, with valid questions, ideas and comments. And especially to let us know of events and topics of interest to women shooters.

We like Real Men here, RM's being grownups who are civil, genuine and who actually like women in shooting sports. Little boys who haven't grown up yet are often told to go home, their mommies are calling them.

And we particularly dislike intruders who want to dominate the forum, or tell women how to think, how to behave or how to buy a gun. We pretty much already know those things.

Just in case there were questions or unclarity about our position.

Last edited by BonnieB; 07-22-2013 at 1:43 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Better yet....how about men be welcome here but learn how to behave themselves by:

a) Not asking the same questions over and over again

b) Not posting dumb sexual innuendos or posting photos of scantily clad women because they thought this was the leer-at-women forum

c) Not seeing the word "Ladies" and get all excited about it

BK
I teach high school science to freshmen and sophomores. This is why when the first day of school starts later this week, I will let all the young ladies select their seats first. Then the boys fill in. Over time the young ladies end up mostly clustered in one area and the boys are on the other side. The more mature young men are seated with the young ladies. They boys think all of the stupid things they do to attract the attention of the young ladies actually work. They do not understand the reason the young ladies ignore them and date the older young men has to do with maturity.

Sadly some never learn the lesson with age.
Old 07-22-2013, 6:57 AM

amen, jeremiah, amen re some never learning the lesson with age.

and re BonnieB's statement, "And we particularly dislike intruders who want to dominate the forum, or tell women how to think, how to behave or how to buy a gun. We pretty much already know those things." I would note that the women of calguns do a pretty dang good job of calling out one another on BS and don't need a father figure [unless its a mod] telling us how to post in our own forum.

calguns is a rough and tumble sausage fest for the most part. it is here that we can come and "let it all hang out". please do not hold us to a higher standard than is displayed in other forums. we too piss, moan and groan and will continue to do so. and as most on calguns, we're an opinionated bunch and I don't see that changing.
Quote:
Old 07-22-2013, 7:31 AM

Quote:

and re BonnieB's statement, "And we particularly dislike intruders who want to dominate the forum, or tell women how to think, how to behave or how to buy a gun. We pretty much already know those things." I would note that the women of calguns do a pretty dang good job of calling out one another on BS and don't need a father figure [unless its a mod] telling us how to post in our own forum.

calguns is a rough and tumble sausage fest for the most part. it is here that we can come and "let it all hang out". please do not hold us to a higher standard than is displayed in other forums. we too piss, moan and groan and will continue to do so. and as most on calguns, we're an opinionated bunch and I don't see that changing.
The LittleOldLady has no opinion........

*she opines and cogitates mightily and comes up with no opinion on opinions other than to cerebrate and envision a formulation on a spark of an image on rumination and muse on a depicture!
Old 07-22-2013, 1:29 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

I should point out here that in the OP he didn't say this was HIS GF so "the GF" could be completely appropriate here!

Scott
Old 07-22-2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:

Ha.......well said, mz.......... : )

cheers

Carla
Old 07-22-2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
I would note that the women of calguns do a pretty dang good job of calling out one another on BS and don't need a father figure [unless its a mod] telling us how to post in our own forum.
INHO the ladies forum does not need a father figure as a mod.

I grew up with two very strong women in my life, my mother and grandmother, so I never understood the male need to dominate women thing as I did not grow up with it.

The majority of male high school teachers fear most of all, older, female English teachers. There is something about these older English teachers that cause them to be assertive, blunt, and to the point. When I have to work on a committee, I prefer working with these teachers, the work gets done quickly with little BS.
Old 07-22-2013, 8:51 PM

I would agree; however the statement was to give recognition that 1-the mods are male and 2-the mods are appointed by Mr K and 3-all calgun forums and posters are subject to the will of Mr K and the mods. otherwise known as "they who swing the ban hammer"!

you give such good examples, jeremiah. no nonsense women that cut to the point, get the job done, and get on with it. of course I see the sense in that! LOL!
Quote:
Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 PM

Just in passing, it's strange that there are no women moderators on the Women's Forum, although there are women moderators on other forums.
Old 07-23-2013, 1:58 PM

we can be trusted with guns and ammo but not as a moderator, LOL!
Quote:
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM

Apparently, we are too biased in our opinions of how the Women's Forum should be run.

Big surprise. Women shooters have strong opinions ! Wowee!
Old 07-24-2013, 1:33 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Just in passing, it's strange that there are no women moderators on the Women's Forum, although there are women moderators on other forums.
We did have a woman Mod at one point until she kind of drifted off the forum entirely, this was five or six years ago.

Right now the Mods are all male by chance not design.
When it's time to appoint a Mod I ask the rest of the Mods to offer up suggestions of members they think will be decent Mods.
We discuss the suggestions with all Mods having a chance to share opinions or past interactions.
When we all agree on someone I run through their post history going back several years to see if they have a penchant for causing problems or fanning flames, insulting other members, making racist or inflammatory statements, etc.

If everything looks good we send a PM offering them the position.
If they are smart enough to turn it down we start over, if they are foolish enough to accept we shake our heads and welcome them to the team.

As you can see it's not a quick process and even harder is that the ones usually best suited are the ones you have to convince.
Anyone who wants to be a Mod isn't suited for the position.
There are exceptions but they are rare.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 07-24-2013, 2:14 PM

I used to be a mod on a large forum and it was WORK. And unfortunately it was a bunch of kids pretty much. Not fond of babysitting.
Old 07-24-2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
we can be trusted with guns and ammo but not as a moderator, LOL!
I can be trusted with guns, just not ammo, it seems to trickle through my fingers as soon as I buy it!

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Old 07-24-2013, 3:41 PM

I already know that I would never be considered; but, definitely count me out anyway! I'm already a moderator on two other boards and I also own my own forum. No thanks on moderating this one! LOL

BK
Old 07-24-2013, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

I have a lot of respect for moderators, it's an insane amount of work. And it definitely isn't fun.

A funny comparison for anyone that plays MMOs... I'm an officer in a World of Warcraft guild, a raid leader and a moderator on our guild website. It's like herding cats. Only we a few hundred members (only about 100 active members at any given point of time) instead of the thousands that post on calguns daily.
But at least in a WoW guild, we have the luxury to screen our members first and give some semblance of an 'idiot check'.