Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-29-2013, 5:49 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayReys View Post
I just completed some of my packing - I'm excited! I just realized I should have bought one or two more 4 round caddies than the 5 I bought...lol oh well...I should probably just try not to miss
My belt has 10!

See you boys there!

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 06-29-2013, 6:31 PM

^tenpercent - I had a station where I did run dry lol

Well...

I'm back home exhausted. Triple digit temps, a fun course, and good people all made for an great first time!

Ended up on Squad 1 with Gary, Frito, Van and four other awesome guys (sorry, I tend to remember what guns people have rather than their names)...had a blast even in the heat. Looking back, there's alot of things I need to work on and improve upon; this is going to get addicting...

Sam, it was a great event...Thank you (and all the others who helped put it on)! I hope you put some more shotgun only events in future

Last edited by RayPDA; 06-29-2013 at 6:49 PM..
Old 06-29-2013, 6:47 PM

It was AWESOME!!! Those that didn't come, should have.
Old 06-29-2013, 7:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Props to you dudes that made it!
Old 06-29-2013, 8:47 PM

I would shoot this match once a month if it was run that often.

A+ to those hearty souls who braved the heat to shoot. we were done at 1:30pm.

where will the scores be posted? I had to shoot and scoot.

PS... we hate the dueling trees!

Last edited by Bobby Hated; 06-29-2013 at 9:02 PM..
Old 06-30-2013, 6:38 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Glad to get on a squad with Bobby and Chris. We had a good time. Shooting two guns was tough, but I had twice the fun!

Now I'm between Merced and Winton headed to a regional IDPA match. I hate my body and it must be punished!

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 06-30-2013, 10:38 AM

It was a great match and we figured out a lot of things about dueling trees, chokes, and different shot.

Our squad had guys run everything from full choke to spreader choke and bird to high base.

I really liked the stages. They were technical but ran really smoothly.
  • Stage 1 - Flying birds then flat out drag race
  • Stage 2 - Buckshot and the gaming tree
  • Stage 3 - Great use of a star and tree. Drum blocking the tree which you can shoot through btw, and a tree with hostages.
  • Stage 4 - Slug stage
  • Stage 5 - flying birds and gaming angles
  • Stage 6 - clay swingers and hostage plates

I forgot my headcam so no footage though I saw plenty of people with them out there. Plus it would give away all out secrets.

I also think it was a big wake up call for those who do not regularly shoot shotgun or who shoot pump shotgun. Those pump guns are not as reliable as internet and movie legend would have you believe. Seen lots of guns that looked like they needed action jobs or had tight chambers. Sure you can blame the ammo but really it should run anything.

I think a bi-monthly or monthly match would be great. Practice with your defensive or competition shotguns.

We should also have a side match like a team 4x4 stake cut. Two or more shooters forming a team shoot off against other teams to saw a 4x4 in half with their shotguns. First team to do so wins but most other teams finish out because it is fun. You widdle down the middle then somebody hits it up high to break it off. It's fun for shooters and spectators. You can use scrap 2x4's doubled up to save on costs.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Well I must say that was very pleased with the match, I want to thank the competitors that came out and braved the 107 degree heat, the people that came out on Saturday to help set this up, it was even hotter on Saturday than it was on Sunday. My partner Lefty that did half of the setup during the week, with out which we would never have been able to finish setting up this in one day. I don't want to forget the water bottle lady that brought out water and lunch for those that stayed around.
Thank you all for coming out and supporting us and this event.

The complete scores should be up on both websites later today, but for now an overview is posted below.

deadwoodboys.org

x3multigun.com

Now to get down to what all this means. We had just under 50 shooters, it was a trial match to see if we wanted to host this kind of a match on a regular basis. The consensus is yes, we have decided to do this on the 5th Sundays of the months that have one. That means 4 matches a year.
Our next match will be on September 29th. I probably will not do the pre registration but, if some of you that have a large group of guys that want to shoot together want to send in a squad list I'll do that.

Ray I like your idea of the pot shoots or team events as you call them, you and I will talk about that and set that up. I think sawing a 4x4 in half would be a blast. If anyone else has any suggestions other than "we hate the dueling trees" Bobby. I would love to here from you.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Finals.pdf (42.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Sam Houston; 06-30-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Old 06-30-2013, 2:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Dang.. is Open dead?
BTW, nice job, Sammy!
Old 06-30-2013, 2:51 PM

Phong
You missed a good match, hopefully you can make the one in September.
I had a good day, I only won one stage but I did we'll on all the stages and didn't post any big numbers. I think that was the determining factor.
See you in 3 weeks
Old 06-30-2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houston View Post
Now to get down to what all this means. We had just under 50 shooters, it was a trial match to see if we wanted to host this kind of a match on a regular basis. The consensus is yes, we have decided to do this on the 5th Sundays of the months that have one. That means 4 matches a year.
Our next match will be on September 29th. I probably will not do the pre registration but, if some of you that have a large group of guys that want to shoot together want to send in a squad list I'll do that.
Hopefully I won't have to work the weekend of the next one. Sounds like this was a lot of fun. I guess I need to start training now.
Old 07-01-2013, 7:02 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Wow! I am surprised I did so well. I knew I had good odds with the pump action because I am a decent loader. And I was even using the 4+1 Remington 870 26".

And Bobbie or Chris, one of you didn't put down my time for Stage 5. I got a 500 for that one! You dogs! If I hadn't forgot to put down the times on two guys at Winton yesterday in the freaking heat, I might have room to talk! Plus I still got first so oh well.

And I was surprised I got 4th over all behind you three in tactical. Hey I am pretty happy with those scores for shooting two guns for the equivalent of two matches in that hot as heck day.

Tons of fun. Thanks Sammy! Glad to see you will pick it up 4 times a year. Hopefully the word will spread.

Old 07-01-2013, 2:16 PM

Sam, great event. Thank you. Our squad didn't hold anyone up and we got our *** in gear this time around.

I'm a total amateur to 3 Gun but I have watched a lot of "3 Gun Nation" episodes and what really throws the pros for a loop are moving targets like clay pigeons and rabbits. Maybe at the end of a stage you have battery operated launcher, 5-10 birds, launching 1 every few seconds, while there's 5-10 steel targets beneath them. Hit a bird, shoot some steel, hit a bird, reload... your call how to squeeze out the time. I have never seen dueling trees for shotgun, that was quite challenging.
Old 07-02-2013, 7:12 PM

Any one have a link to some videos? Would love to see some of the stages in action.
Old 07-02-2013, 7:23 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I only see one:
Old 07-02-2013, 7:34 PM

I think you shot well wes. I don't know who forgot to write your score in for one stage.

but if you ever spell bobby with an "ie" again we're putting on the gloves!

ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Wow! I am surprised I did so well. I knew I had good odds with the pump action because I am a decent loader. And I was even using the 4+1 Remington 870 26".

And Bobbie or Chris, one of you didn't put down my time for Stage 5. I got a 500 for that one! You dogs! If I hadn't forgot to put down the times on two guys at Winton yesterday in the freaking heat, I might have room to talk! Plus I still got first so oh well.

And I was surprised I got 4th over all behind you three in tactical. Hey I am pretty happy with those scores for shooting two guns for the equivalent of two matches in that hot as heck day.

Tons of fun. Thanks Sammy! Glad to see you will pick it up 4 times a year. Hopefully the word will spread.

Old 07-02-2013, 7:37 PM

one more serious suggestion. any way it could be on the 5th sunday instead of Saturday?

I think we'd draw more people from Norco if it was on a sunday. I think the heat kept a lot of people away too but I think sunday would be better for a lot of people.

Old 07-03-2013, 6:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post
I think you shot well wes. I don't know who forgot to write your score in for one stage.

but if you ever spell bobby with an "ie" again we're putting on the gloves!

ha ha
Now we are even for you screwing me over!

I still won with the 500 so honestly, it is cool. Had it cost me first, I would have been heated! Crap happens.

I didn't realize our little squad was the true super squad!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM

A video of mine I made: http://youtu.be/aXXK5C2RxvM

I'm no SuperSet....shooting or editing wise.

Stage 1:
http://youtu.be/wS11yYX_Mpk

Stage 2:
http://youtu.be/U_ma9abHH8Q

Stage 3:
http://youtu.be/rmZ8f2CALgg

Stage 4:
http://youtu.be/um-bQSqN4r8

Last edited by PopovPete; 07-03-2013 at 4:25 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopovPete View Post
A video of mine I made:
Looks like you need to disable youtube's stabilization feature. Seems like it's trying to stabilize the ejected hulls -- making the entire video distort when you shoot.
Old 07-03-2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPea View Post
Looks like you need to disable youtube's stabilization feature. Seems like it's trying to stabilize the ejected hulls -- making the entire video distort when you shoot.
Thank you. Any other shakiness is attributed to a camera on my head while shooting a shotgun.

Last edited by PopovPete; 07-03-2013 at 4:28 PM..
Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopovPete View Post
Thank you. Any other shakiness is attributed to a camera on my head while shooting a shotgun.
Looks better now -- here's one of mine for comparison. This is mounted on the brim of my hat. Unfortunately I forgot to check the lens orientation (it was set for my motorcycle) so it suffers from vertical video syndrome.
Old 09-23-2013, 2:32 PM

Hello Guy,

I am resurrecting this thread to make it a thread that you can subscribe to in order to get further information on our Shot Gun matches that we will be hosting every fifth Sunday.

This will be our second match and if you braved the 107 degree heat and made it through the last one then you have some idea of what you will see this time. Only it will be better, more shooting and more unique shooting positions and scenarios. You will be shooting slugs over a roof top, slugs through a port in a door that is 25 yards away and the target is another 35 yards down range, and did I mention that the port was protected by a no shoot. You will be shooting all kind of flyers, One stage will have you cutting a 2x4 in half with your shot gun to start the stage. So get your track shoes on and bring your "A" game.

The weather man is calling for a little nicer weather this time only in the high 80's. Make sure you bring plenty of water and drinks as well as food. Our cook Latin Gun will not be at the match again he will be shooting another away match.

O.K. now to get to it, you will need:

20 Slugs
20 Buckshot
150 Bird shot

This is pretty much a minimum number, if it were me I would almost double everything.

Start time will be 8:30 am. Please arrive early to ensure that you get to shoot on a squad with your buddies. I will not be doing the early registration this time, not necessary everyone will get to shoot.

Again 3 basic divisions:

Open 11 in the gun then load to capacity
Limited 9 in the gun then load to capacity
Pump 9 in the gun then load to capicity

I hope to see you all out at the range on Sunday.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shotgun Match 9-29-13.pdf (89.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Sam Houston; 09-24-2013 at 3:13 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 3:31 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Bobbie hated (ha! Pun!) the dueling trees for their inconsistency, how is he going to handle the 2x4 saw? LOL.

I have to work this weekend.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
Bobbie hated (ha! Pun!) the dueling trees for their inconsistency, how is he going to handle the 2x4 saw? LOL.
IM with 3" Magnum 000 buck

Old 09-24-2013, 3:03 AM

I tried buck and bird, the bird seems to work as well as the buck. The 9 pellet buck just seemed to blow holes in the 2x4 where as the bird blasted the whole thing. Either way it only took about 4 to5 shots to cut it in half
Old 09-24-2013, 6:41 AM

I'm really going to try and get down to the next one.

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 09-24-2013, 8:09 PM
CGN Contributor

Have to sit this weekend out since I just shipped my shotgun to C-Rums to be worked on for 3Gun (Thanks for the lead SuperSet!). Due back in 3-4 weeks.
Old 09-25-2013, 9:33 AM

Quote:
I tried buck and bird, the bird seems to work as well as the buck. The 9 pellet buck just seemed to blow holes in the 2x4 where as the bird blasted the whole thing. Either way it only took about 4 to5 shots to cut it in half
Did you hit it with normal bird or high brass?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:30 PM

I just hit it with Walmart 3 dram number 8's
Old 09-28-2013, 4:25 PM
CGN Contributor

Just want to wish everyone good luck and safe shooting tomorrow. Looking forward to participating in this or the X3Gun matches at Piru in hopefully the near future (oct/nov).
Old 09-30-2013, 1:22 PM

Great match. For whatever reason those tennis ball targets always makes me pucker even though it really doesn't give me problems. Maybe it's because we don't often see them as a shotgun targets and it's a 60 second penalty. If it was a head shot on paper at that distance I would not sweat it at all. Just perspective I guess. I do love the way it spins around the stick. Great reactive target. I need to get my headcam working again.
Old 09-30-2013, 6:05 PM

Scores posted

www.x3multigun.com
Old 10-01-2013, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Scores posted

www.x3multigun.com

Thanks for putting it on Sam! Was a great time.