Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-13-2019, 1:18 PM

Default Earthquake/ Survival Food Kits

Been looking into mypatriotsupply, mountain house, as well as others and was hoping for some input from others as to pros/cons that anyone has noticed in these kits. Water supply is not an issue for this.

My general questions are as follows.
- does each pouches have to be made all at once (8 servings) or are they single servings. Websites aren't to clear
- portability or ease of storage
- must boiling water be used or will cold water do
- as well as anything else others have thought of

I'm sure the group is much smarter than I am on this. This is all for 2 adults and one child under 6. Looking for a 30 day supply.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2019, 1:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I actually buy the individual meals that I would eat.
Need hot water. I don't think they will mix well with cold.water.

Also when your grocery shopping. Spend a extra $10 Or $20 on some canned food once a month.

Also have a plan. If and when there is a emergency. Who ever is closest to store , go in and buy some extras.
Old 05-13-2019, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1380354
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-13-2019, 3:27 PM

Some things to consider when buying survival food...

-Check the ingredients of the food you are buying, many manufactures only care about carbs so they will load it with cheap carbs, and little to no healthy proteins, fruit or vegetables.

-Watch the salt. Some of the manufacturers substitute salt for good food and flavors. Wise is one such company

-Buying in #10 cans is cheaper, but as soon as you open the container, it starts to absorb moisture from the air and oxygen will start to impact the quality and freshness of the food. Some of those cans have 60+ servings in them. I hope you really really enjoy having the same meal for breakfast lunch and dinner since you have to eat it all before it goes rancid. I researched this about ten years ago and depending on what you open, you may only have 2-4 weeks to consume everything. Feeding a family or two helps with this issue.

-Eating the same meal will get old and you will loose your appetite to the point where eating it will make you nauseous. Kids, elderly and those with a weak will to live will simply stop eating and starve.

-Don't forget spices and combining meals.

-Freeze-dried pouches used to have only a 7 year shelf life. They are much higher now but you pay more per meal for them though they are more portable than a #10 can if on foot.

-Hot water is better as the food more easily absorbs it and most of us like hot meals. Cold water will work but will take up to 3x longer to re-hydrate the food, and not taste as good.

-Canning has the potential for the longest shelf life but is much less portable and has a higher likelihood of killing you (botulism). There are other, better solutions though they cost more money.

-MREs are damned heavy and are not meant for long term sustenance.

-Freeze dried is the lightest to transport but requires water and time to make.

Last edited by TheChief; 05-13-2019 at 3:31 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 3:42 PM

Regarding sodium, there are some lower sodium options.
Old 05-13-2019, 4:01 PM

If things got bad, there are plenty of dogs running around the neighborhood that the neighbors do not care to keep in the yard. I should download some recipes.
Old 05-13-2019, 8:28 PM

Interesting timing . . . just a couple days ago I had the munchies and was lazy so I thought that would be a good opportunity to eat some of the camping meals that I have bought over the years. I picked out a mac & cheese and a lasagna. They are each about 10 years old. I made them exactly as per the instructions. They both were HORRIBLE. I'd eat the gophers I trap in my yard before I ate one of those meals! I managed to eat 1 bite of each - and that was all, even my dog turned up his nose at it.

As many have said on here over the years - test your supplies, so you know what works and what doesn't. I donated the remaining meals to the local food bank - they are useless to me. Wish I would have done that 10 years ago - I wouldn't have stored them all this time.

As far as preservation methods - don't forget home dehydrating. I have lots of homemade - home dehydrated marinara sauce (pair with store bought pasta), and I have made dehydrated stew (celery, carrots, potatoes, onions, green beans, corn, garlic and peppercorns) that can be eaten as veggie stew or combined with home canned beef for beef stew. Properly stored dehydrated items can last many years and are lighter than canned - the dehydration process is also less resource intensive than pressure canning.
Old 05-13-2019, 8:45 PM

If you are only aiming for 30 days, you can do better and much cheaper with DIY packs. Get some 5gallon buckets and mylar packs and seal up some stuff yourself. Don't trust the "serving size" labels on the prepper stuff, it's grossly misleading. I made 3 "one week" buckets this way. Though it's heavy on beans, rice etc., you can add variety to the meals by storing extra packs of powdered seasoning, like taco, chili, pesto etc. or instant soup mix. They keep fine and taste fine. Didn't take long each grocery store trip grabbing an extra $20 of stuff. Mine aren't "25 year storage end of the world", just enough so my family can stay at home for a few weeks if ever needed. I'll pop one open and use it up every now and then to keep it fresh as possible. It's important for your mental health to keep stuff as similar to what your family regularly eats so that's how I planned mine.
Old 05-13-2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
If you are only aiming for 30 days, you can do better and much cheaper with DIY packs. Get some 5gallon buckets and mylar packs and seal up some stuff yourself. Don't trust the "serving size" labels on the prepper stuff, it's grossly misleading. I made 3 "one week" buckets this way. Though it's heavy on beans, rice etc., you can add variety to the meals by storing extra packs of powdered seasoning, like taco, chili, pesto etc. or instant soup mix. They keep fine and taste fine. Didn't take long each grocery store trip grabbing an extra $20 of stuff. Mine aren't "25 year storage end of the world", just enough so my family can stay at home for a few weeks if ever needed. I'll pop one open and use it up every now and then to keep it fresh as possible. It's important for your mental health to keep stuff as similar to what your family regularly eats so that's how I planned mine.
I agree,that's a good strategy.

A couple years ago I made a list of food items that could be bought at Costco and/or Walmart that would provide meals for 2 for 30 days and had a storage life of over a year - I think the total cost was about $200 (maybe a little less). I don't remember the title of the post - but you could probably find it with the search feature. It's really pretty easy to get a 30 day supply if your smart about it. Also don't forget seasonings - everytime you go to Arby's get a couple extra BBQ sauce & horseradish packets, get some extra honey packets at KFC, of course hot sauces, and my favorite is Tabasco packets at Panera Bread,
Old 05-14-2019, 5:06 AM

I've chosen to go with my own choices, rather than a "kit'. But I've got some storage space. I canned my meat, chicken, beef, and a little salmon. One can get 6 chicken drumsticks in a 1 qt canning jar. I put in 3, and filled the leftover space with boneless, skinless thigh meat. I can add these meats to other things.
I'm trying to stay away from bulk beans and rice, while they have their place, they require lots of water and cooking. I'm using the Bear Creek "soups", along with the Knorr Lipton rice/ noodle sides, and top Ramon. Along with bulk dehydrated vegetables to mix in.
Old 05-14-2019, 7:53 AM

I have 5 cases of Military MRE. Many people do not like it, but I ate it in the Marine Corps. No need for hot water. Each pack contains essential items for a day. One pack will sustain me for a day.

With 60 packs, I think my wife and I can survive for 30 days.
Old 05-14-2019, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

I’d say a spread of different items from freeze dried, to canned, to MRE’s, to emergency boat rations.
Obviously the biggest thing is making sure to check and rotate as needed and checking them every 6 months to a year.
I’d highly suggest a camping or butane stove with enough propane or fuel to heat water and do light cooking if needed.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223556 View Post
I’d highly suggest a camping or butane stove with enough propane or fuel to heat water and do light cooking if needed.
If you get a "dual" fuel stove, which can burn both camp gas and auto fuel, it makes things easier. Add a propane adapter and you're really covered.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
Regarding sodium, there are some lower sodium options.
You have some names you can provide..
Old 05-22-2019, 3:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duralexsedlex View Post
Earthquake/ Survival Food Kits

That would be a life raft and a fishing rod, no?
Old 05-22-2019, 3:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
I have 5 cases of Military MRE. Many people do not like it, but I ate it in the Marine Corps. No need for hot water. Each pack contains essential items for a day. One pack will sustain me for a day.

With 60 packs, I think my wife and I can survive for 30 days.
...additionally you'll have Charms, PB, and jalapeño cheese spread for barter, and won't have to crap for days at a time...

I really only liked the dark brown bag cheese spread when it got hot and cold a few times, it tasted more "sharp", and was chunkier, before the days of the jalapeño cheese that came out in the light brown bags, w/vagatarian meals.

Last edited by the86d; 05-22-2019 at 3:59 AM..
Old 05-22-2019, 7:58 AM

Default lots of this

Up until a few weeks ago I was not able to add too many items to my preparations as I didn't have the space to put them, but now space is abundant and I've been adding canned goods each time I shop. I'd add to this excellent comment buy what is on sale in a grocery store and check expiration dates. Learn to rotate well.

Kits are packages for profit. I'm not opposed to profit but I think they try to toss in the kitchen sink to make it look good but lots of the items are cheap items they can't sell.

I did have on my boat some dried goods that require hot water. The servings were not uniquely packed so once opened the 8 servings needed to be made within a reasoned time but not all at once. I wouldn't want to l leave the opened material out for a long time but you can put it in a plastic bag and I'm sure weeks later it would be ok just not years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
I actually buy the individual meals that I would eat.
Need hot water. I don't think they will mix well with cold.water.

Also when your grocery shopping. Spend a extra $10 Or $20 on some canned food once a month.

Also have a plan. If and when there is a emergency. Who ever is closest to store , go in and buy some extras.
Old 05-22-2019, 3:41 PM

Re: low sodium options - Dry rice and beans
Old 05-22-2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvberinger View Post
You have some names you can provide..
Sopakco and I think XMRE make them.
Old 05-22-2019, 4:29 PM

I have a mix of MRE and freeze dried. But before I would dip into those, I would use up my pantry canned goods. I keep inventory and rotate stock.
Old 05-22-2019, 4:51 PM

Avoid Wise. They just got nailed by the Feds for grossly overstating the calorie content of their potato based swill. Patriot pantry is a low end brand. Mountain house is probably the best. They offer low sodium versions of some of their meals. The reason for the high sodium is because they made it for backpackers who need the added sodium. Augison farms (sp) and Backpackers Pantry are good brands.
Old 05-22-2019, 9:50 PM

All that freeze dried stuff is crap if you ask me. 3 times the money you need to spend on bulk food
Old 05-23-2019, 8:17 AM

You check WinCo for individual MRE entrees. The one near me has a selection of about 7 different MRE entrees. Priced from $1.50 to $2.60 each. One can customize a kit that way.
Old 05-23-2019, 9:28 AM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

Check the deals forum daily and get on the email lists that flash bargains. Because shelf life is 5 years you don't need to find bargains all the time. Just one bargain every 5 years. Unappetizing food is 1000 times better than no food.

Concentrate on having lots of water. You need to rotate your water supply. One of those 'outdoor patio' storage bins or ottomans, at least 150 gallon size to stack bottles of water in. I would put the storage bin inside where you can guard it. You can mess with filters and UV sterilizers (need batteries), or just load up on chlorine tablets. Chlorinated water doesn't taste all that good. So what, the idea is to survive and a 90 tablet bottle is about the size of tube of lipstick. 3 or 4 of those do the job, and you don't have to keep them clean by washing them (which wastes more water).

Have lots of bottles of dish soap (Joy, Dawn), laundry soap, and bleach. If you know the formula and have the right kind of bleach, it will do in place of chlorine tablets and for general cleaning when you have little water to makes soap suds with but enough water to rinse off the bleach.

A big supply of those large green oblong 3M dish scrub things, takes less water to use them than say a paper towel.

One of those portable hand pump sprayers dedicated for taking a shower with very little water when the nozzle is set on a fine spray. Never spray anything but water out of it always. (these are great for camping too).

Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Thanks to all for the replies. It is very much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:44 AM

Best Emergency Water Storage Containers for Your Home: https://theprepared.com/homestead/re...ge-containers/
The article says two weeks but it will give you ideas for larger supplies.
Old 06-02-2019, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
Check the deals forum daily and get on the email lists that flash bargains. Because shelf life is 5 years you don't need to find bargains all the time. Just one bargain every 5 years. Unappetizing food is 1000 times better than no food.

Concentrate on having lots of water. You need to rotate your water supply. One of those 'outdoor patio' storage bins or ottomans, at least 150 gallon size to stack bottles of water in. I would put the storage bin inside where you can guard it. You can mess with filters and UV sterilizers (need batteries), or just load up on chlorine tablets. Chlorinated water doesn't taste all that good. So what, the idea is to survive and a 90 tablet bottle is about the size of tube of lipstick. 3 or 4 of those do the job, and you don't have to keep them clean by washing them (which wastes more water).

Have lots of bottles of dish soap (Joy, Dawn), laundry soap, and bleach. If you know the formula and have the right kind of bleach, it will do in place of chlorine tablets and for general cleaning when you have little water to makes soap suds with but enough water to rinse off the bleach.

A big supply of those large green oblong 3M dish scrub things, takes less water to use them than say a paper towel.

One of those portable hand pump sprayers dedicated for taking a shower with very little water when the nozzle is set on a fine spray. Never spray anything but water out of it always. (these are great for camping too).

Thanks for the reminder about water. I used to have several 5 gallon Sparklett's bottles stored in the garage but got rid of them when we moved. Finally got around to doing something about it today. Ordered a 6-pack of WaterBricks from Amazon. I wanted something that doesn't take up space and need something lighter than 5 gallon containers.

If they work, I'll order some more for my kids and their families. May get some for work as well.

Also ordered some spigots to make dispensing easier.

https://www.amazon.com/WaterBrick-Bl...gateway&sr=8-6

Anyone ever use a bathtub water bladder? If you know something is coming, might be a good idea.
https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emer...gateway&sr=8-3

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3. -573PH3N H4WK1NG

Last edited by brassburnz; 06-02-2019 at 2:15 PM..
Old 06-02-2019, 3:35 PM

theepicenter.com is another good source of info; they appear to have put some effort into not just stocking, but testing the products. their prices are also pretty decent, though i haven't researched enough to say "best". we have a mix of 3, 4, and 5 day boxes, along with a mix of singles to lay out a couple weeks worth of food beyond what the pantry holds, mostly mountain house.

our order took a week or so to get here, iirc.