Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-24-2013, 5:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You are prepared? You are lucky I don't know your address or I'd report you to the fire department - your house is about to explode.

Also, I hate you for having more ammo than me.
Old 11-24-2013, 6:16 PM

I don't hate anyone for having ammo on hand, but guys that have thousands of rounds stashed and are still buying up every round they can get there hands on when Walmart opens..... Well I do hate them.

Sucks that you can't go grab some 22 ammo when you want to go shoot like you used to be able to.

Yes I was un prepared for this because I really never gave it much thought, there always seemed to be plenty around and I always had a brick or two on hand.

Now it's all about buying to gouge or to hoard
Old 11-24-2013, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post
I don't hate anyone for having ammo on hand, but guys that have thousands of rounds stashed and are still buying up every round they can get there hands on when Walmart opens..... Well I do hate them.

Sucks that you can't go grab some 22 ammo when you want to go shoot like you used to be able to.

Yes I was un prepared for this because I really never gave it much thought, there always seemed to be plenty around and I always had a brick or two on hand.

Now it's all about buying to gouge or to hoard
Walmart has been useless. Maybe it has changed, but it seems like if they ever get any .22 LR in stock it goes to early risers and insiders - that's not me. I got what I needed when they became available online. Nothing to hate - if you need some just get some.

When I started with a partial federal bulk pack and not much more, I couldn't go shoot my last bit of ammo (after I figured out there was NONE to be had at Walmart). When it popped up online I didn't whine and hate on people who knew what they were doing. I learned and emulated them.

Last edited by crufflers; 11-24-2013 at 6:24 PM..
Old 11-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

If you can't beat them, join em'
Old 11-25-2013, 1:27 PM

Gone are the days when you can walk into Wal-mart or any other store and get any kind of ammo you want (specially 22lr) at any day, at any time of the day. You either have to wake up early every day and play the mad rush to the ammo counter or buy online. Unless you have lady luck in your back pocket you are not going to get any for cheap without some effort put into it.

I wish every time I say what I just said, that I'd eat those words and I'd be proven wrong, but in the meantime, until that reality happens, I head my butt up to the ammo finds section here to find some. I haven't been able to buy from every single find, but even if I was able to buy from 1 out of all the posts every week, I'd say I would end up with a decent ammo reserve.
Old 11-25-2013, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

I buy ammo no more than once a month, never less than 2000 rounds of 22, never more than $0.10/round. If you're just a little picky you can slowly build up a nice hoard of high quality ammo... but you have to be willing to let a buy go if it doesn't meet your criteria

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2013, 3:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21Shooter View Post
Just wondering what ya'lls goals are as far as your .22 lr ammo stock piles.
Up until this past summer, I had 50 round boxes of 22 ammo from Montgomery wards, Zody's and Kmart. I'd sure like to find some short rounds tho, other then that I don't care too much about stocking up on long rifle rounds. I have a few K and I buy em as I need em.

The only ammo I have a problem finding is .357...thanks to SGAmmo I was able to get what I wanted last week.
Old 11-25-2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
I buy ammo no more than once a month, never less than 2000 rounds of 22, never more than $0.10/round. If you're just a little picky you can slowly build up a nice hoard of high quality ammo... but you have to be willing to let a buy go if it doesn't meet your criteria

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHShooter View Post
I suck, I'm only at 13,000 rds of 40 grn RN. Mini Mags, Super X, Game Shock. That's in the past 6 months! Won't stop if there's a deal.
If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would go that route instead of trying to buy anything that moves. I'm glad that the finds here never really went over $.10/rnd on minimags and the like and less than $.06/rnd on bulk stuff.

If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would have liked my stash to be similar to MHShooters with M-22s and a few cans of the Federal 745's or Buckets of Golden Bullets on the side.
Old 11-25-2013, 4:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post
The bottom line is .22 lr ammo availability is freeing up to the point that if you put a little effort and time in online you can get all the reasonably priced .22 ammo you can shoot.

Over the last few months I have bought quite a bit of .22 lr ammo online but by no means do I buy every single deal I see in stock. Lots I pass up, and I have not bought one round of .22 lr ammo in a retail store for over a year.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

More cheap ammo cans with free shipping. $9.99 shipped free if you buy at least four. Who doesn't need more (even if your Gander order hasn't arrived yet)? Not sure about the quality compared to surplus or Gander's new cans, but I'd take the gamble.

In for four at $39.96 delivered. Now I'm definitely hoarding a bit more.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/blac...-850007?N=104#

Last edited by crufflers; 11-26-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Old 11-26-2013, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Another great find crufflers, ordered 6! Thanks!!
Old 11-26-2013, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_weasel View Post
The shortage of 22lr has really cut into my quality time at the local range. Strangely 223 Rem and 45 ACP are easier to come by than 22lr, my suspicion is that these round have a higher profit margin.
Your suspicions are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Scully
Don't be sad that it's over. Smile because it happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William James
I cannot allow your ignorance, however great, to take precedence over my knowledge, however small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
When you reach the plateau, there's always going to be those that try to drag you down. Just keep up the game, collect the scratch, and ignore those who seek to drag you down to their level.
Old 11-26-2013, 7:05 PM

im a tad over 40 thousand on 22 rounds and im not sure i wont get more. and this is after lettin friends have about 5000 rounds. but ive also been a early morning walmart guy since march. if im first or second in line i typically see what folks behind me want and if i know some of em been havin bad luck finding ammo , i buy what they want and assure they get some.
Old 11-26-2013, 7:15 PM

oh and for the haters. have you ever thought to ask some of the early walmart crowd to get some ammo for you? would you be amazed at how being nice instead of being nasty to some of us helps. i have spent untold dollars and gas on dry runs to walmart and ive never asked for more than the cost of ammo and tax.
Old 11-27-2013, 5:15 AM

Default Just planning ahead

I retired 3 years ago and this year I built 2 Kidd rifles. I make a 70 mile round trip to the range and go about twice a week while the weather is warm. So I've acquired about 17,000 rounds of 22LR for my sport of casual target shooting. I think it would be too bad to have the time to shoot 2 Kidd rifles and no ammo to shoot.
Old 11-27-2013, 5:55 AM

100,000 rounds of .22LR? I guess we understand why the price of .22LR is still high. Answer a few questions if you really have a need to stockpile that much .22LR.

What are you going t0 do with 100K rounds if SHTF? It certainly is not a round of choice for defense? Hunt small game? With 100K you must be planning on missing a high percentage of the time. Trade it? for what?

I am not opposed to stockpiling ammo, I have a decent amount of rounds in my various calibers, but I do not plan to arm the army!
Old 11-27-2013, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

I have a goal of 100,000 rounds because I want to be prepared for whatever kind of craziness as far as gun legislation and shortages happen in the future. I want to ensure my ability to be able to shoot in the future, regardless of what kind of BS happens. I shoot 10,000-15,000 rounds of .22 lr a year myself, plus take friends and family shooting. That amount of ammo will only last me about 5 years.

The internet mail order ban will happen its just a matter of time. It won't be a big deal to drive to Nevada and get .223, .45 acp and 9mm, but reasonably priced .22 lr ammo is always going to be problematic.

Don't worry I don't buy every deal I see, and don't go to WalMart. I never resell ammo, I'm not one of those scum bags.

Happy shooting.
Old 11-27-2013, 7:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I have a goal of 100,000 rounds because I want to be prepared for whatever kind of craziness as far as gun legislation and shortages happen in the future. I want to ensure my ability to be able to shoot in the future, regardless of what kind of BS happens. I shoot 10,000-15,000 rounds of .22 lr a year myself, plus take friends and family shooting. That amount of ammo will only last me about 5 years.

The internet mail order ban will happen its just a matter of time. It won't be a big deal to drive to Nevada and get .223, .45 acp and 9mm, but reasonably priced .22 lr ammo is always going to be problematic.

Don't worry I don't buy every deal I see, and don't go to WalMart. I never resell ammo, I'm not one of those scum bags.

Happy shooting.
If an internet mail order ban happens, I'm not driving to Reno every few months on the chance someone might have a stock of ammo that works in my guns. So for people like me, if Walmart or a higher priced LGS doesn't have any regular stock for a year or more like the rut we are still in locally today - well, we'd be out of luck.

It is called being prepared. You are going to shoot it sometime if you are in this hobby, or your kids will. People who spend the time preparing by budgeting and finding decent priced ammo don't have to share it with less fortunate or less inclined, but many do.

1000 or 100,000 rounds... there's gonna be someone whining about how you caused them not to have any ammo. Heck you caused the whole shortage even though you have only been able to buy ammo for a few months. That's three or four months longer than them. They still can't get ammo even though they are at Walmart each week at 6pm. When they figure it out someone will be there to hate on them. Life on the internet forums, heh. But most everyone here is interested in helping other people find what they need or why post finds, etc... the best way to hoard would be to keep all the finds for myself. The secondary icing on the cake would be when threads like this bug the trolls, flippers, haters, and the ignorant.
Old 11-27-2013, 7:49 AM

I don't get why people assume that if you buy 22lr you are stockpiling for SHTF or the freakin zombie apocalypse. Or if you buy on the internet you are the cause of people not being able to buy it at Walmart whenever they please. Or that if you buy 22lr all your firearms are 22lr. C'mon now, it's a fun round to shoot. Specially if you like to shoot with family and friends, have kids or people that have never shot a firearm in their life.

Last edited by GoodahSP; 11-27-2013 at 7:53 AM.. Reason: added text
Old 11-27-2013, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

My goal is to find a brick somewhere and not have give a testical for it

just one brick for varmints and plinking, should last me a few years

I had about 3k rounds and gave near all of it away to neighbor kids before I found out I could not buy it at the stores anymore.
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 11-27-2013, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

350K rounds and counting.
Old 11-27-2013, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

jk i wish
Old 11-27-2013, 8:45 AM

I'm still waiting for the first person to say 1 million rounds.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodahSP View Post
I don't get why people assume that if you buy 22lr you are stockpiling for SHTF or the freakin zombie apocalypse. Or if you buy on the internet you are the cause of people not being able to buy it at Walmart whenever they please. Or that if you buy 22lr all your firearms are 22lr. C'mon now, it's a fun round to shoot. Specially if you like to shoot with family and friends, have kids or people that have never shot a firearm in their life.
The say that out of ignorance or they are just trolling.

Most people who are prepared with decent levels of rimfire have LOTS of other bigger guns and lots of ammo for them - but rimfire is a plinking round so it is more warm and fuzzy to talk about even when it is 100,000 of them organized in cans.

For the OP, 100k is good for 5 years of practice and plinking without stressing about where the next case is coming from pending any legislation - as he has said many times. Ammo doesn't expire. Think about it.

Last edited by crufflers; 11-27-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Old 12-03-2013, 8:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

These surplus ammo crates are pretty cool - worth more than $13.50 for sure! I can't pass up getting at least one. If you order more than one, do it one order at a time with free shipping code "SH1831" or they will charge you a heavy shipping fee even though the basic rate is waived. Just ordered another - you need a different code for each order (one use codes) "SH1314" worked for the second order. About $14.50 delivered each. I will find a use for them somewhere even if it is in the garage. One more: "SH1013".

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...smansGuide.com

I got the Gander 50 cans and the Academy cans. The Academy cans have a better fit and finish. The steel edges are rounded in places where the Crow cans are more jagged and the paint is higher quality. Both are servceable, but the Academy cans were cheaper. I'll buy again if they go to $10 delivered again.

Last edited by crufflers; 12-03-2013 at 8:36 PM.. Reason: added another code
Old 12-03-2013, 9:11 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass_blaster View Post
I'm still waiting for the first person to say 1 million rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 12-03-2013, 9:35 PM

I have enough for squirrel hunting for the rest of my life. I really don't care how much people buy. But impossible to get overpriced ammo, and the "you did not prepare dumbass" attitude is not going to attract too many new shooters, that's the only thing that kind of irks me.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 PM

I have somewhere along the lines between "A lot" and "A sh+tload".

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
There we go. That should be enough.
Old 12-07-2013, 5:51 AM

So that's where all the 22lr has gone. Well done!!
Old 12-07-2013, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

I have some on the market place lol
Old 12-12-2013, 9:41 AM

I got a little over 10k rounds of .22 lr.

Deterrence, Not Disarmament, Ended the Cold War.
Old 12-15-2013, 6:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hoarders! LOL, crazy ammo stashes out there!
Old 12-15-2013, 8:32 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if I hoard more, or shoot more. I do a lot of both!
Old 12-15-2013, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

People scoff at signing up for a cabelas visa, because they dont want another credit card, but complain about finding ammo with free shipping. If youre gonna use it, its a good card, just pay it off. Buying 1 box limits are easy with free ship.

People just like to complain.
Old 12-15-2013, 9:29 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
If you have a problem with folks who are prepared keep your thoughts to yourself.
I certainly have no problem with folks that are prepared; however, I am not seeing anyone in this thread with said preparation. There's a few people with some really cheapo bulk 22lr ammunition, but who doesn't have that crap laying around? I don't really pay much attention to my 22lr inventory that isn't Lapua, Norma, or Eley.

Some of you folks are doing the equivalent of posting 20 HiPoint guns and thinking you have a large collection.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 AM

For those who are preparing or just in general - what is the lifespan of 22lr, assuming it is stored in a sealed container with no moisture inside at room temperature?

I know it's more than 1 year, but as an example, why hoard more than I can use in a year if it will go bad anyways? On the other hand, in this example, I'd probably have 4 months minimum on hand, ideally 6 or 8. More than that and money is wasted on some to a large % of the rounds not going off.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinofsleep View Post
For those who are preparing or just in general - what is the lifespan of 22lr, assuming it is stored in a sealed container with no moisture inside at room temperature?
My "freshest" .22LR ammo is about 5 years old. My oldest is 35 years old. The 35 year old stuff seems to be slighly more reliable than the newer stuff. The ammo from 1979 was factory packed in USGI .50 caliber ammo cans and I keep it in those cans. I also transferred all of my newer ammo to ammo cans as soon as I bought it. The average temperature in my neighborhood is about 60 degrees but gets into the low 80s during the day in October. The older ammo was probably stored at higher temperatures for the 25 years that the Army had it.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 12-15-2013, 11:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
AMMO FINDS BELONG IN THIS THREAD:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...76306&page=160

It's a sticky for this forum - feel free to contribute. Please do not fork or duplicate other efforts and create more work for other volunteers.

=8-)
It was STORAGE CONTAINERS not AMMO - relevant to this thread, IMHO.

I felt it fit in here more than it belonged in the AMMO FINDS thread.

Sorry you felt forked.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 AM

I have no anger towards those that were prepared for this inevitable shortage and have large amounts. Buy all you can get. If anything, all you buy, keeps that much more out of the hands of the scalpers to sell to suckers..

I was very prepared and will keep preparing more.. As much as I financially can. The unprepared people are the ones that partially contributed to this madness in my opinion..They are the ones that drove the scalpers to standing in line ahead of you at the store and selling .22 ammo to "unprepared" people the next day at a 100.00 a brick..And artificially disrupting the normal chain of supply..These scalpers would not have stood in line to get ammo to sell, if there were not unprepared people to sucker at 100.00 a brick..

I am a good Boy Scout and lets just say I am and have been well prepared, in all ammo calibers, for a long time..