Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-19-2017, 9:40 AM

Default Facing a steep steep uphill battle

Just thought I would come on here in hopes some one has some secret knowledge they can drop. I started with a bit of background. I am a 28yo chef at the Stanford Univ. Graduate School of Business, and have been so for the last 5+ years. I have had the privilege to work for some of the most respected and influential people of our time. Some of the great people include ; President Barack Obama, Vice President Al Gore, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Mayor Rahm Emmanuel, Magic Johnson, Prime Minister Tony Blair and diplomats from atleast a dozen more countries. I have gone through securtiy checks for these events when needed with Dept. Homeland security, F.B.I., and Secret Service. This brings me to my current issue. I now want to transition into a new career, Law Enforcement. I have reached out to Oakland pd, BART pd, and even San Mateo County Sheriffs office. I made a mistake at the young age of 18 (2007) and evaded a police officer, while riding my motorcycle. I was leaving Foothill college when a CHP cruiser initiated a traffic stop for speeding. I evaded the officer and when i eventually pulled over , was charged with a Felony. It was the biggest mistake of my life, one I am still paying for now. I have remained out of trouble since, repaired my credit, started a family, joined a civilian police academy, even had my charges reduced to a misdemeanor and expunged. With this being said is there anything I can do to not be disqualified for employment as a peace officer? I have also petitioned for a gubernatorial pardon in May of this year. Are there any more steps I can take to put this all behind me? I have fully disclosed my past to the agencies I am interested in and will do so with 100% honesty. I sincerly appreciate any reaponse. I am determined and willing to do whatever it takes to become eligible. I Hope to hear from you with ANY response or help. I will be taking the POST written and fitness in January and will just start applying and seeing what happens. Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-19-2017, 9:54 AM

If it got dropped to a misd. and then expunged, you're eligible to be hired(doesn't mean they will). That being said, it's been a decade since your lapse of judgement so you should be in the clear.

I have a much more "colorful" background than you and I was still offered employment by a bay area PD(which I declined).
Old 11-19-2017, 10:14 AM

SIGGUY thanks for the response. This might sound terrible to some people ,but for my situation that makes me feel better. Thanks for the comment
Old 11-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Because is has been expunged from your criminal history doesn't mean it never happened. It sounds like you have corrected your ways and be diligent in staying that way. Don't give up, lots of departments are hiring.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:01 AM

1. Doesn't hurt to try and you won't know until you do.

2. Regardless of whether you have changed your ways, it's concerning to me that you think a bunch of the people you name dropped are "great". Influential? Yes (unfortunately in many cases). Great? Not so much.

Last edited by Samuelx; 11-19-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 PM

When I say great I mean for who they are and what position they are in. I put political actions aside in a professional setting. I dealt with them in my profession where personal beliefs shouldn't interfere. I certainly DID NOT vote for Obama but he was the first African American president and will be remembered for ever by it. I still take that as a privilege and honor to serve my president when asked regardless of how I feel.but this definitely is not a topic intended for politics.
Old 11-19-2017, 3:56 PM
Banned

Coming from the fire service side of things, I have seen the same stuff and even helped a young man who got a DUI join the fire service. And the fire department is much harder to get on over the police side.

Here is my advice- Pick a dream department you would like to work for and become a Reserve Officer or volunteer for them. This is how they would get to know you and start building that bridge to a career LEO position. Prove yourself, learn the job, learn their SOPs and protocols and build up a good reputation. I also also look at departments in the So Cal area, but thats just me. I would also stay away from the LAPD after reviewing the Christopher Dorner case as I feel he got screwed on probation.

And use paragraph breaks in your posts too. Hope that helps.
Old 11-19-2017, 5:07 PM

Good luck to you on your quest. I applaud your willingness to do what is necessary, honestly, and with your heart in the fight. Such qualities speak well of your success as a law enforcement officer. Never give up, never surrender.
Old 11-19-2017, 7:30 PM

Master the art of the paragraph first.
Old 11-19-2017, 8:06 PM

Thanks guys for all of the comments. (Insert my excuse here) I am on a mobile phone so typing sucks! Lol jp ..will dust off the old conjuntion junction tapes for a tune up while im at it.
Old 11-19-2017, 8:17 PM
Banned

Also, this website is dedicated to the firefighter candidate, but you will find alot of helpful nuggets there- www.eatstress.com
Old 11-20-2017, 7:52 PM

You will never know until you actually try.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM

Apply for an academy. Don’t make excuses to try and justify why you did the things you did when called in for an interview. Don’t only explain why you think what you did was wrong but also how you’ve learned from it. Be humble.

Last edited by StraightShot04; 11-26-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Old 11-26-2017, 6:19 PM

Like others have said, it doesn’t hurt to try and own your mistakes. Own them and show how you have learned from them.

Different departments do different things and no circumstance is ever the same. I will say that I have a friend who got picked up that had a somewhat similar reckless driving on a bike going some 150+ or faster. I don’t know all the details of his situation, but he’s hired now. So, it doesn’t hurt to try.
Old 11-27-2017, 6:08 AM
Veteran Member

Since it was reduced and expunged, it won't automatically DQ you from hiring, but it is going to make it harder. You need to be that much better than the other candidates who don't have a record.

That might mean putting yourself through an academy on your own time and dime to make you a more attractive hire.

The only other piece of advice is the obvious one. Be honest about your background, which it sounds like you are. You may or may not be DQd for answering a question honestly, but you will be DQd for lying.

"Far and away the best prize life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 11-27-2017, 6:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^ All good advice.

Depts are different, some want boy scouts, some are willing to consider life experience.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Banned

But I would NOT get desperate and work for the LAPD. Christopher Dorner get screwed by them.

I fully believe that Dorner got screwed internally by the LAPD before he went sour. I am not going to post this picture, but you can see the link- https://polination.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=500&h=280

Last edited by Rapid Cool; 11-27-2017 at 11:38 AM..
Old 11-28-2017, 9:35 AM

LAPD is a fine agency. I know several great people there. Just like any big agency, it has its fair share of morons. Consider what you want your career path to be and find a department that can match that. Some guys like small places; others large departments with the freedom to move around.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:06 AM

So Rapid... which is worse, LAPD via the ramblings of a murderer or the state via an article in a newspaper? Lol!
Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellca21 View Post
calm the F down and focus on OP's actual problems. You're like that uncle at family events who always turn everything into politics.
That is the OP. Hehehe.
Old 11-28-2017, 9:02 PM

Don’t ever quit. Life will throw curveballs at us all from time to time. Stay focused, stay hungry, and go for what you want. Let them tell you no. Be honest and be professional.

As others mentioned, it may be a good idea for you to undertake the academy on your own dime. It may turn out to be a wise investment. You may even want to start as a reserve officer and work your way in.

Just don’t ever quit and stay true to yourself.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 11-28-2017, 9:20 PM
🇺🇸 Jack-Booted Gov Thug
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

FYI: Stanford is hiring, and they also have a "citizens police academy" that can help you meet some of the current deputies.

-------
Old 11-28-2017, 9:37 PM
Banned

I would NOT go outside of California. California has the POBOR and better union protection.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Cool View Post
But I would NOT get desperate and work for the LAPD. Christopher Dorner get screwed by them.

I fully believe that Dorner got screwed internally by the LAPD before he went sour. I am not going to post this picture, but you can see the link- https://polination.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=500&h=280
You sound suspiciously like you're suggesting that that POS dorner was justified in doing what he did...
Old 11-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
You sound suspiciously like you're suggesting that that POS dorner was justified in doing what he did...
He wasn't justified in doing what he did, but I 100% believe that he got ****ed by them.

Having been through what I've been through, I've actually lost a lot of respect for law enforcement. I got ****ed by one department myself. There's a lot of bull**** that comes with the LEO life.

To the OP, I've heard Calexico hires a lot of people with background problems. But that was so long ago for you, I'm not sure why that would matter to be honest. I know guys who did LSD and **** in a smaller time frame and got picked up by departments in the IE.
Old 11-29-2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM_ONE View Post
He wasn't justified in doing what he did, but I 100% believe that he got ****ed by them.
Just curious, what info do you have/know that leads you to believe "100%"???

I've seen both extremes - bunches of good people fuc&ed over by the department as well as bunches of people who weren't able to do the job and weren't willing to admit or face it that they couldn't...
Old 11-29-2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
Just curious, what info do you have/know that leads you to believe "100%"???

I've seen both extremes - bunches of good people fuc&ed over by the department as well as bunches of people who weren't able to do the job and weren't willing to admit or face it that they couldn't...
Based solely on what I've read, because that's all we really have at play. He reported an unreported use of force and was faced with retaliation.

Oh trust me, I've seen both as well. Plenty of guys on the department that boned me (well, it wasn't the department itself, just three guys who had some power) were good guys, and plenty should never have been officers in the first place.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Cool View Post
I guess we are all lucky that most people who get screwed by their employer don’t go on cowardly murderous rampages and ambush random innocent people who had nothing whatsoever to do with any of it.
Old 12-01-2017, 7:50 PM

Why don't you look for an opportunity to open a small sandwich shop or some restaurant and be your own boss.

LEO life can be separated into different jurisdictions and categories, local, county, state, Feds, patrol, custodian, investigation, IA, and other specialized fields. Each has its pros and bs and it's going to take a decade and a few agency transfers to get to a place you might be comfortable with, sometimes never.

CA local agencies have some of the highest pay and benefits in the nation, Feds also make excellent pay but is more difficult to get in. State jobs don't pay as much and mainly specialize investigation per department with no patrol jobs. Benefit cross the board has been reduced again and again everywhere and it's not what it used to be.

Some agencies have lower bars of entry but obviously for a reason and have some more pit falls. If you are willing to move to the border, border patrol with Feds is easiest to get in but the work areas and it's culture have ruined many people.

As with everything else in life, there's a pro and con to everything.

Last edited by YoungGunZ; 12-01-2017 at 7:55 PM..