Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-08-2019, 8:17 PM

Default Retired CCW insurance

Looks like retirement will be knocking on my door shortly, just wanted to say thanks again for all the tidbits about new gigs I got in my last thread.

I have a new question: CCW insurance; do any of you retired folks (or perhaps just well read folks) have any insight into using PORAC plan V insurance vs/in conjunction with any other CCW insurance?

I have started going through the paperwork for PORAC plan V and it seems pretty good (on paper at least)... im wondering if Going with the plan V and maybe just getting a larger umbrella policy or something from homeowners is as good a course of action as it is looking like to me at this point.

I know, I know this is one of those things I should have researched more... but I’m doin it now!
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.

Last edited by CBR_rider; 01-08-2019 at 8:20 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 8:46 PM

I know how you feel. I retired in August and have yet to enroll in plan V though I have been thinking about it. I should get off my *** and do it this week. And congrats on the retirement! I highly recommend it...
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt

“Actors are basically like prostitutes. You don't have to listen to their opinions to enjoy their "work". - Lex Talionis
Old 01-08-2019, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

So far my only complaint is the price went up this year. Haven't had to use it and hope that I never do.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHavasu View Post
I know how you feel. I retired in August and have yet to enroll in plan V though I have been thinking about it. I should get off my *** and do it this week. And congrats on the retirement! I highly recommend it...
Glad I'm not alone... I'm kinda looking forward to it; its alot earlier than I had hoped but it's a chance for a fresh start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
So far my only complaint is the price went up this year. Haven't had to use it and hope that I never do.
I thought it was a steal at the current price haha, guess I'm glad I don't know what it cost before.

What do you do/think about regarding the fact that the insurance only covers legal fees? Do you have a larger personal policy with a pot of money in case you ever have to pay out for some kind of civil nonsense or something?
Old 01-09-2019, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Only works if you stay in CA. Not available for out of state retirees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 01-09-2019, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
I thought it was a steal at the current price haha, guess I'm glad I don't know what it cost before.

What do you do/think about regarding the fact that the insurance only covers legal fees? Do you have a larger personal policy with a pot of money in case you ever have to pay out for some kind of civil nonsense or something?
It wasn't a huge increase but since I'm cheap I notice.

Honestly I have a personal liability coverage I picked up year's ago, it's not 100% great, but better than nothing.
Old 01-10-2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Only works if you stay in CA. Not available for out of state retirees.
Awww, for real?
Old 01-10-2019, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Awww, for real?
No.
From the plan FAQ's

Will this protect me outside the State of California?

Yes, if you meet all of the requirements under the Plan and are not subject to any of the exclusions, then RAM/LDF will provide you with legal representation for any civil or criminal matter arising out of your use of a firearm in self-defense or the defense of others, within the United States.

From the membership brochure.

 Open to any honorably retired
peace officer throughout the US
Old 01-12-2019, 4:16 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The PORAC plan is the best deal in town..don’t leave home without it, haha!!
Old 01-12-2019, 5:44 PM

I use PORAC. It is good out of state.
Certified Polygraph Examiner. I provide services for Criminal and Civil Litigation, Private Businesses, Law Enforcement/Fire Pre-Employment screening, Fidelity Concerns, and other types of Family Disputes.

http://ToThePointPolygraph.com
Old 01-12-2019, 5:57 PM

Whew... I am likely going to move out of state so I am glad to hear that the plan is good for those of us who make that decision. I’m actually on the road now scouting out maybe a new “home” so I will fill out that paperwork when I get home!

Thanks!