Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2017, 11:37 PM

Default 1 in 30 Handgun Can I sell the 2nd gun before 30?

I have 2 Glocks at my FFL at the moment, Gun1 which I pick up next week and the Gun2 that will be pickuppable 3 weeks after. Would it be possible to sell Gun2 now? I don't have an issue waiting, but I've had a change of heart and don't think I will use the G19 much.
Old 09-14-2017, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

I bought a gun online, it showed up at my FFL and was something more special than I expected, and sold it here.

I don't know what your FFL will allow, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 09-14-2017, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagle View Post
I have 2 Glocks at my FFL at the moment, Gun1 which I pick up next week and the Gun2 that will be pickuppable 3 weeks after. Would it be possible to sell Gun2 now? I don't have an issue waiting, but I've had a change of heart and don't think I will use the G19 much.
???? You want to sell Gun2 now and you can't even pick it up for 3 weeks after you pick up Gun1 a week from now? Something sounds goofy. It sounds like you want to sell Gun 2 before the sale is even approved by DOJ and the 1 in 30 only affects when you can start a DROS. When you can pick up the first doesn't tell us when you commenced its DOS.

Last edited by Chewy65; 09-14-2017 at 9:53 AM..
Old 09-14-2017, 9:42 AM

Quote:
They shouldn't have submitted DROS yet on #2, so you just need to contact dealer.
Old 09-14-2017, 2:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Whoever buys gun #2 can start DROS immediately.

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-14-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Whoever buys gun #2 can start DROS immediately.

Bob
Given what the sketchy details that OP supplied in his post, how does that work? I can't even tell from what he posted just when he started DROS for gun #1.
Old 09-15-2017, 7:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Given what the sketchy details that OP supplied in his post, how does that work? I can't even tell from what he posted just when he started DROS for gun #1.
Chewy....maybe I assume too much. If he hasn't started any paperwork
On gun 2 then with the OPs permission the FFL can do the DROS to any
qualified person. Might be a fee besides DROS I just don't know..

Be well
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-16-2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
It's sketchy that I purchased 2 handguns? Man, your California is really showing bud. If you take a step back and read in plain english the question, all I asked was if I could sell gun2 (G19) now, instead of waiting another 30 days to pick it up and sell it then.

Everyone else, thanks for the answer I'll ask my FFL on monday when I grab the first gun.
Old 09-17-2017, 8:03 AM

I believe it is totally ok to sell a gun that hasn't been DROSed to you yet. I had a similar situation where my FFL was retiring in 20 days, but I had purchased two pistols and had them shipped to him. I would only be able to DROS and pick up one of the two before he retired, so my wife DROSed the other one so we could get them off his hands before retirement.

Before anyone chimes in with "yeah but that's your wife and she's a direct family member so it's different," my FFL told me that anyone that can legally own a firearm could have done the DROS. It doesn't matter who paid for the gun initially.
Old 09-17-2017, 9:46 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
It's sketchy that I purchased 2 handguns? Man, your California is really showing bud. If you take a step back and read in plain english the question, all I asked was if I could sell gun2 (G19) now, instead of waiting another 30 days to pick it up and sell it then.

Everyone else, thanks for the answer I'll ask my FFL on monday when I grab the first gun.
Sketchy details = 'not enough information', a sketch rather than a complete picture.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Let us simply oppose them all - write, call, attend meetings with legislators and tell them they're wrong.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
I believe it is totally ok to sell a gun that hasn't been DROSed to you yet. I had a similar situation where my FFL was retiring in 20 days, but I had purchased two pistols and had them shipped to him. I would only be able to DROS and pick up one of the two before he retired, so my wife DROSed the other one so we could get them off his hands before retirement.

Before anyone chimes in with "yeah but that's your wife and she's a direct family member so it's different," my FFL told me that anyone that can legally own a firearm could have done the DROS. It doesn't matter who paid for the gun initially.
That sounds very much like the situation that Oceanbob said could be done if paperwork hadn't been started on Gun #2.

It may be different not because your wife is a direct family member, but because of community property law. Otherwise the DOJ might take a dim view of an FFL circumventing the 1 in 30 rule. Not that anyone is going to do anything about it, but you may have just admitted to the equivalent of aiding or conspiring with that FFL. Somehow I don't think that is much of a problem for you, but you should talk with an attorney.

That's just the 1 n 30. Then you have a straw purchase issue. See Abramski. Your wife attested to being the actual purchaser, but the money was from you, so it wasn't a gift. That could be more of a problem for you and your wive than 1 n 30.

Last edited by Chewy65; 09-17-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Sketchy details = 'not enough information', a sketch rather than a complete picture.
Exactly. I did not mean sketchy as in appearing illegal, immoral, or shady.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I did not mean sketchy as in appearing illegal, immoral, or shady.
Ah, classic sketchy.

As an update to my original question:
Yes, it is technically possible but my FFL did not care to. He preferred that I wait the 30 days because the weapon came to me from Glock factory and if DROS to someone else, it may raise a flag to DOJ. That's the understanding I was given, but I didn't press the issue since a few weeks is not a big deal.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

It won't raise a red flag from the DOJ because they don't know who it was intended for, that is just fear.

One issue could be raised is that you would be selling a firearm that was not yours and if it got noticed, it could be said that you were acting as an unlicensed FFL. One time would not likely be a problem though.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein