Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-13-2017, 6:43 PM

Default CCW (sort of) in a vehicle

I understand that concealed means concealed but if your usual carry is at 4 o'clock then when sitting in your vehicle with the seatbelt on its kind of problematic to get to your weapon if something happens like a carjack attempt or whatever. I have (but haven't used yet) a Kydex holster rigged to attach to the front of my seat and it would sit below my right leg. The firearm would be "concealed" by my leg and the slight inward angle of the front of the seat. I don't believe it could be seen from anyone looking in the window from the driver's side and the center console blocks it from the passenger's side. It would be easy to access by just reaching down below my right leg. Would there be any problem with this arrangement? Obviously, I'd reholster and conceal before even opening the door when I arrive at my destination.
Old 09-13-2017, 6:59 PM

Not trying to be a Richard, but..... sounds like a ND waiting to happen. And I have to think an LEO making a traffic stop might not be too thrilled. YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Add 15% cant to your 4:00 holster and it will be easy to pull while sitting in your car.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

Last edited by 71MUSTY; 09-13-2017 at 8:50 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 8:26 PM
To clear just rack once ✔
CGN Contributor

^^^ What he said.

I have mine at the FBI cant and it's accessible, even with the seat belt on. However, I can't speak for those that are fat.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 09-13-2017, 8:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Add 15% can't to your 4:00 holster and it will be easy to pull while sitting in your car.
This works for me. 3:00 works too.
Old 09-13-2017, 8:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
^^^ What he said.

I have mine at the FBI cant and it's accessible, even with the seat belt on. However, I can't speak for those that are fat.
You mean have built-in ballistic padding?
Old 09-13-2017, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawker View Post
I understand that concealed means concealed but if your usual carry is at 4 o'clock then when sitting in your vehicle with the seatbelt on its kind of problematic to get to your weapon if something happens like a carjack attempt or whatever. I have (but haven't used yet) a Kydex holster rigged to attach to the front of my seat and it would sit below my right leg. The firearm would be "concealed" by my leg and the slight inward angle of the front of the seat. I don't believe it could be seen from anyone looking in the window from the driver's side and the center console blocks it from the passenger's side. It would be easy to access by just reaching down below my right leg. Would there be any problem with this arrangement? Obviously, I'd reholster and conceal before even opening the door when I arrive at my destination.
Not if you have a valid CCW permit.

Old 09-13-2017, 9:26 PM

If you think drawing from 4 o'clock while seated and buckled in is tough, try (unloaded) to reholster safely from that same position.

IMHO, it would be a matter if time before the gun was left in the car rather than reholster, a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 09-13-2017, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If 4 O'clock gives you trouble move to 3:30 with the grip at 3. Even in a Corvette you can get to the gun.

Off body is a last resort, and no at the speed of a real event, where you in fear of your life, in an environment such as California, your not likely to get the gun in play. Simply speaking well your mind is set on what is happening, and trying to duck, move, etc obtaining a fighting grip on the off body is going to take a heck of a lot of practice, it isn't going to come naturally. For most drawing from IWB is hard enough in the fight. If you have to bail and havent gotten the gun in your possession your screwed. Now if you want to mount a second gun, maybe that works for you (although there are a laundry list of things that could go wrong). I suggest if your in OC you spend the money to visit my friends at Artemis Defense Institute and pay to bring your car into the lab. They will wire you up with 80,000 volts and then run you through scenarios where you will have to use your judgement of draw no draw, shoot no shoot. If your wrong and don't draw/cant draw, your going to get pinged, maybe multiple times. If your wrong and draw when you shouldn't a former DA can tell you all the problems you have just earned.

At the real speed of something happening, and with potential physical violence (depending on how far you want to go) you can evaluate this decision.

Like any contact sport / martial art, what you think you can do, and what you can really do, aren't the same, and they vary by day and mental state. Fortunately there are places like Gun Sight, Artemis and others where you can put your plan to the test, without blowing the windows out of your car, or shooting your nuts off.
Old 09-13-2017, 9:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
If you think drawing from 4 o'clock while seated and buckled in is tough, try (unloaded) to reholster safely from that same position.

IMHO, it would be a matter if time before the gun was left in the car rather than reholster, a disaster waiting to happen.
Depends on the holster Jeepergeo. I agree The holster can be at four if the cant allows the gun at 3:00. Not that hard. In all honesty though except for a training event, the need to reholster after drawing is a non issue. You likely wont have to, and secondly with the hormonal dump that occurs in virtually all humans after a life threatening event your going to be shaking too much to speed that reholster anyway. Not like the person in a self defense action is shooting IDPA or USPSA.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 PM

I assumed the OP would reholster every time he exited the vehicle if he was carrying with the gun mounted to the seat front.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:33 PM

Ok, thanks for the responses. Good info to consider. Obviously, I wasn't convinced it was an excellent idea, which is why I asked. I'll keep it on the 4 o'clock (or thereabouts) for the ride.
Old 09-14-2017, 5:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the responses. Good info to consider. Obviously, I wasn't convinced it was an excellent idea, which is why I asked. I'll keep it on the 4 o'clock (or thereabouts) for the ride.
If it's at all uncomfortable, just put your gun on the empty passenger seat. I cover mine with a microfiber cloth that I keep in the center console. Once you take your seatbelt off, it's not hard to reholster the gun just prior to, or just after, getting out of the vehicle.

Old 09-14-2017, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
If it's at all uncomfortable, just put your gun on the empty passenger seat. I cover mine with a microfiber cloth that I keep in the center console. Once you take your seatbelt off, it's not hard to reholster the gun just prior to, or just after, getting out of the vehicle.
The problem with that scenario is that in case of a carjack attempt at a stop light etc. you will not be able to reach for the firearm easily.
Old 09-14-2017, 9:38 AM

I'm with the thought of Mayor McRifle. Easy and no fuss.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
The problem with that scenario is that in case of a carjack attempt at a stop light etc. you will not be able to reach for the firearm easily.
Just curious. Why not?

When I work the areas where crime is higher I have mine under my left leg near the front edge of the seat still in the Desantes Nemesis holster. Takes under a second to draw.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
You might need to rethink the math on this.

The inherent probability of a vehicular accident, which can also be a life-death situation, has odds that far exceed the need for immediate access to a firearm. Even if it was a minor accident, who's odds are exponentially higher, a loaded gun flying around is not good.

Even just under hard braking it's not good.
Old 09-18-2017, 4:48 PM

I almost never unholster in my car or truck.

However, if I do, I discretely keep the weapon in my left hand (left handed), exit the car and rotate my back to the seat, and holster while standing. No one can see anything.

Usually, I'm doing this after coming back from a plane trip. I also have to reload and chamber a round before I exit the car.
Old 09-18-2017, 5:07 PM

I only unholster when I have to lock the gun up to go into work. Reholstering at 4:00 is easy prior to buckling up; just lean forward slightly to access the holster, a StealthGear Mini in my case (and keep you left hand away from the holster).