Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-12-2017, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
Can LE still confiscate under the nuesance law?
If that happens to anyone, please let our office know immediately.

We would like to give that agency an education.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrady@Michel&Associates View Post

Thank You.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
The tribesmen in Afghanistan have been beating us with small arms for 15 years.
With a generous helping of IEDs thrown in for good measure.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Here's to hoping that this removes all mag restrictions
I would settle for just being able to possess my lawfully acquired (pre-ban) mags.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it...but won't Judge Benitez be holding a trial on the merits before this goes to 9CA? Assuming he finds in our favor (which he hinted at strongly when issuing the injunction) this will be tied up for some time - right? Or am I missing something?
There may a bench trial before CA9 gets around to ruling on the appeal of the PI.

I am wishing that a jury trial had been requested - 7th amendment to U.S. Constitution prohibits judicial review of facts found by juries.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 AM

Anyone cover the legality of legally obtained un-assembled magazine kits prior to the ban of the sale of such kits? If such kits weren't ever assembled but fall under "high capacity", are they now covered by the injunction?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrady@Michel&Associates View Post

Didn't Judge Benitez order AG Becerra to notify law enforcement not to enforce the simple possession ban under the new law?

Haven't see Becerra follow that order.....
Old 09-13-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7m8jg View Post
Didn't Judge Benitez order AG Becerra to notify law enforcement not to enforce the simple possession ban under the new law?

Haven't see Becerra follow that order.....
He did. His office issued a bulletin to all Statewide LEO's
Old 09-13-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiND-SIGHT View Post
Anyone cover the legality of legally obtained un-assembled magazine kits prior to the ban of the sale of such kits? If such kits weren't ever assembled but fall under "high capacity", are they now covered by the injunction?
You would have the burden of proof to show the kits were purchased before the ban. Things like purchase receipt would be required. Your word as to when the kits were purchased would probably not suffice.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
There may a bench trial before CA9 gets around to ruling on the appeal of the PI.

I am wishing that a jury trial had been requested - 7th amendment to U.S. Constitution prohibits judicial review of facts found by juries.
It's unlikely that a jury trial would go well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Not a mod or lawyer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
You would have the burden of proof to show the kits were purchased before the ban. Things like purchase receipt would be required. Your word as to when the kits were purchased would probably not suffice.
You have that backwards, the burden of proof is on the accuser.

Still, if you got them before the ban, then it's a good idea to keep evidence showing that, just to quickly shut everyone up and prevent an arrest/trial if you ever do get accused. But either way, a DA is unlikely to get a conviction based purely on speculation.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 09-13-2017 at 10:44 AM..
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
You have that backwards, the burden of proof is on the accuser.
Normally. But this isn't normal. Here, you are guilty unless proven innocent.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
It's unlikely that a jury trial would go well.
The choice of forum was made with objective of finding a sympathetic hearing. The population (prospective jury pool) in the area is generally more sympathetic than on the coast.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
He did. His office issued a bulletin to all Statewide LEO's
Interesting. I'll have to research where it went!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, make up a receipt. I have some receipts from Tabor's gun shop from 1998 for 30 rounders. Let them go CSI on it and get a forensic scientist to carbon date the paper and ink to verify its authenticity.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 09-13-2017, 2:15 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
So, make up a receipt. I have some receipts from Tabor's gun shop from 1998 for 30 rounders. Let them go CSI on it and get a forensic scientist to carbon date the paper and ink to verify its authenticity.
I'll just show them my diary as proof.

Nov 1st, 1996. Dear Diary, today I purchased a whole bunch of 30rd magazines. Also I have a huge crush on Jenny, I think I want to ask her out for ice cream. I think it would be fun for us to make out. I wish I wasn't grounded for 3 more days. Parents are meanie heads.
Old 09-13-2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
I'll just show them my diary as proof.

Nov 1st, 1996. Dear Diary, today I purchased a whole bunch of 30rd magazines. Also I have a huge crush on Jenny, I think I want to ask her out for ice cream. I think it would be fun for us to make out. I wish I wasn't grounded for 3 more days. Parents are meanie heads.
HEY!, I got her number!

"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 09-14-2017, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
HEY!, I got her number!

whats the area code bro !
Old 09-14-2017, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
HEY!, I got her number!

HA-HA that is some funny chit.

WAIT.... I think that is my Sisters phone Number!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

The most important thing is to keep your mouth shut if you do get arrested/cited. It's the difference between simple possession (misdemeanor) and possibly manufacturing/illegally importing into the state (felony). The burden of proof is on the government that YOU manufactured or imported them.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
The most important thing is to keep your mouth shut if you do get arrested/cited. It's the difference between simple possession (misdemeanor) and possibly manufacturing/illegally importing into the state (felony). The burden of proof is on the government that YOU manufactured or imported them.
Simple possession is not a crime...
Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Simple possession is not a crime...
Right now, correct. I believe it's still an infraction. Once again simple possession vs. importation/manufacturing jeopardizes one's freedom and right to own a firearm. I believe manufacturing/importing a large capacity magazine doesn't fall under 17(b) and is a "straight felony", not a wobbler.
Old 09-14-2017, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Right now, correct. I believe it's still an infraction. Once again simple possession vs. importation/manufacturing jeopardizes one's freedom and right to own a firearm. I believe manufacturing/importing a large capacity magazine doesn't fall under 17(b) and is a "straight felony", not a wobbler.
Not an infraction, you do know what thread your in?

On your second point, I don't see how any state can charge anyone, who isn't already a federal felon, with a federally recognized felony for anything that is 2A related(keeping and bearing arms) and not illegal under federal law. Doing so would be a violation of the second amendment.

Maybe it's set up that way on purpose, kind of like walking a tightrope over a pond full of crocodiles. Your fine until you fall.
Old 09-14-2017, 2:00 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
It's not even an infraction - it's not a crime, at all. We won an injunction in the case that this thread is about. So unless/until the courts say otherwise, it is legal to posses LCMs.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 09-14-2017 at 2:03 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
It's not even an infraction - it's not a crime, at all. We won an injunction in the case that this thread is about. So unless/until the courts say otherwise, it is legal to posses LCMs.
Bingo!
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 09-14-2017, 8:08 PM

Forgive me if I'm drifting off the topic, but does anyone know if it will be legal to insert a now-okay-to-possess-again 20-30 rnd Mag in a BB rifle once the rifle is registered as a BB RAW? I would not think it would matter, but I figure I might as well ask. (Assuming it hasn't been asked already a bunch of times and I missed it.) It creates a "fixed high cap mag",which was wholly illegal before unless registered. But of course if registered under the new law...
Old 09-14-2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
Forgive me if I'm drifting off the topic, but does anyone know if it will be legal to insert a now-okay-to-possess-again 20-30 rnd Mag in a BB rifle once the rifle is registered as a BB RAW? I would not think it would matter, but I figure I might as well ask. (Assuming it hasn't been asked already a bunch of times and I missed it.) It creates a "fixed high cap mag",which was wholly illegal before unless registered. But of course if registered under the new law...
BB gun is no longer concidered fixed mag, it's now concidered enhanced detachability, at least by the libtards.
Old 09-14-2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
Until CA9 weighs in, you should be able to use a lawfully acquired magazine with a capacity > 10 rounds in a registered BB-equipped AR.
Old 09-14-2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
No to be pedantic, but the LCM(s) must have been acquired before the original ban was in force (2000?).
Old 09-15-2017, 5:24 AM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
No to be pedantic, but the LCM(s) must have been acquired before the original ban was in force (2000?).
The law doesn't actually say that magazines you possessed have to have been lawfully acquired, it only says it is illegal to acquire them - a misdemeanor crime which has, iirc, a 2 or 3 year statute of limitations for prosecution. So effectively, if you acquired them before about 2014 then you're in the clear if you haven't already been charged with anything.

The action of possessing LCMs is legal, regardless of how you got them. It's the action of acquiring them which is illegal. It's a little like cuban cigars in that way.

Not that I'm suggesting people try to commit a crime or anything, just clarifying how the system works.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 09-15-2017 at 7:25 AM..
Old 09-15-2017, 8:17 AM

Quote:
The law doesn't actually say that magazines you possessed have to have been lawfully acquired, it only says it is illegal to acquire them - a misdemeanor crime which has, iirc, a 2 or 3 year statute of limitations for prosecution. So effectively, if you acquired them before about 2014 then you're in the clear if you haven't already been charged with anything.

The action of possessing LCMs is legal, regardless of how you got them. It's the action of acquiring them which is illegal. It's a little like cuban cigars in that way.

Not that I'm suggesting people try to commit a crime or anything, just clarifying how the system works.
thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
I would settle for just being able to possess my lawfully acquired (pre-ban) mags.
As someone who could not purchase magazines before the ban I would love to be able to buy a normal magazine.
Old 09-17-2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 426cuda View Post
As someone who could not purchase magazines before the ban I would love to be able to buy a normal magazine.
Quickest path to achieving your aspiration would be move out of the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

I would love to be able to buy a pistol that is off roster, too. But the only way that is going to happen near-term (maybe even long-term) is to move out of state.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Quickest path to achieving your aspiration would be move out of the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

I would love to be able to buy a pistol that is off roster, too. But the only way that is going to happen near-term (maybe even long-term) is to move out of state.
Or use the roster loop hole.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe View Post
Or use the roster loop hole.
What loop hole?
Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
What loop hole?

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 09-18-2017, 11:51 AM

Loophole: They may have been referring to the single shot exemption. Which is no longer a route to off list roster handguns.
Old 09-22-2017, 1:16 PM

Today the opening brief gets filed by the state.

never mind they got another extension

Last edited by wolfwood; 09-22-2017 at 4:26 PM..
Old 09-23-2017, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
Today the opening brief gets filed by the state.

never mind they got another extension
Why am I not surprised?