Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Cleaning a PCP?

Hello all,

I am curious as to what oils/grease you use to clean a PCP rifle. Benjamin suggests putting oil on the bolt o-ring but that is just about it.

I run patches down my barrel to clean residue or any lead build up. Other than that, do you oil the barrel too? Anyone use the cleaning plugs that you just shoot out?

Any suggestions for a PCP newb would be appreciated.

Thanks.
12 gauge O/U with 32" ported barrels, sporting ribs, & removable chokes
CZ Tactical Sport 40 S&W
Poneness Warren 800+ 12 gauge

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 09-11-2017, 3:58 PM

Actually oil is not a good idea for O-Rings, silicon oil or grease is though.
I use a very small amount of silicon oil on the O-Rings and small amount of grease for lubrication at the bolt or areas connected to the airstream. Regular oil for moving parts such as pivots/hinges on side lever bolts. I have read on other Forums that highly compressed air can do funny things with air when mixed with oil, so I just don't use it.
There are air rifle specific barrel cleaning items out there, such as a pull through nylon string (Similar to a weed whacker string) to be able to push through the barrel and sound shroud, then pull through a patch/brush.
I just use a bore snake without any bronze bristles in it. They have them without bristles for .177 and .22 if you look for them. I also have a .25 caliber that I removed the bristles from a bore snake to use on it. Most air rifle barrels use a somewhat softer metal than a powder burner, so you need to be aware not to use too harsh methods to clean the barrel.
That is pretty much all I use aside from wiping down the exterior with a mildly soaked oily rag after each use when putting away.
Never used the felt cleaning pellets, dunno how that would work, but I have seen plenty of folks using them.
I also only clean the barrel when I recognize the accuracy starting to degrade, that's an indicator to clean the barrel using the bore snake without bronze bristles. Clean and you're good to go for a about a 600 shots (depending on your rifle) until it starts to degrade again....do over....repeat.
I would highly recommend perusing the Yellow Forum if you wish to become more educated on air rifles.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537
Old 09-12-2017, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Revoman - thanks for the info. I will check out the link and also try to find silicon oil locally.
12 gauge O/U with 32" ported barrels, sporting ribs, & removable chokes
CZ Tactical Sport 40 S&W
Poneness Warren 800+ 12 gauge

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9