Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 06-16-2009, 1:30 AM
Veteran Member

Default In Ko Pah road, San Diego

I went out there with my wife today, what a beautiful place! There is a lot of shot gun hulls, and a little bit of target crap. It is not horrible and a few people could make a huge difference in a day. I am available every weekend, and Monday through Wed.
Peter
Old 06-16-2009, 7:58 AM

How far back off the actual road did you go, there are several "ranges" in that area that all have tons of leftover target crap sitting there. Its where me and my friends head out to shoot as well. I would love to be part of a cleanup but I am not available for the next few weekends...
MY AR Profile #1
Old 06-16-2009, 12:02 PM

If you know of a favorite backcountry shooting spot, best keep that info to yourself or it will turn into a garbage dump by idiots who could care less about being responsable.
Old 06-16-2009, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

We were about a quarter of a mile from the border fence. I didn't want to get much closer to avoid Border patrol. As far as keeping it to myself, you can see a few of the "ranges" from the main highway, not too secret.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:50 AM

I was shooting down at jacumba about a month ago I would like to try this place out. Where is it in relation to the I-8
Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 AM

You've stumbled upon Carrizo Creek Range.
http://www.carrizocreekrange.org/
Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
How far back off the actual road did you go, there are several "ranges" in that area that all have tons of leftover target crap sitting there. Its where me and my friends head out to shoot as well. I would love to be part of a cleanup but I am not available for the next few weekends...
The Carrizo Creek Range group has done many cleanup and camp outs. They kind of died off when the Border Patrol closed the best parts of the range. Illegally, I might add. They didn't consult with the BLM, and did not do the required environmental impact studies for the road the constructed. Anyway, I would love to get a group together to clean up the remaining areas.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Please PM me if you get a group together to clean up/shoot at Carrizo Creek or In Ko Pah.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2009, 4:34 PM

I have a truck and would be glad to help with a clean up, just send me a PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Depending on the date, I'm in too. (This weekend is not good for me.) Send me a PM, or post the date and time here.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

I am available just about every weekend, Sunday would be the best, but Saturday will work too. How about the weekend of July 11 and 12th?
Peter
Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 PM

I'd certainly help out.
Old 06-25-2009, 4:00 PM

As of right now, count me in too.
Old 06-25-2009, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Awsome! I have a small truck and can carry quite a bit if trash back there. Does anyone have a trailer for a few of the larger items?
Old 06-25-2009, 7:46 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

I'm mentoring the WOT program that Sunday.

I used to camp out at the Valley of the Moon all the time. This would be South of the Interstate. Not all of the In Ko Pah area is open to shooting. Some of it is private land and some is prohibited by the BLM. About 10 years ago some clown shot the transmission lines that run along the hills. It cost $100,000+ to do the repairs. The BLM shut a lot of it down. Then there were the idiots sniping at the Mexicans. I would recommend that you obtain a topo map of the area in question, pull the coordinates for the area you want to go, and contact the BLM field office in El Centro prior to going out. Consider it cheap insurance. They may have reopened some of the closed areas but, I seldom see areas reopened once closed.

Just because someone has been shooting there doesn't mean it is open. I have taken the liberty of contacting the El Centro office to inquire about areas that may be open or closed to recreational shooting in the In Ko Pah area. I also let them know that we may be doing a cleanup in July, although I left that one in the air. I'll post the response here. Keep in mind that the temp. can get above 90 during the day at this time of year, and can reach well over a 100 during the summer. Dress accordingly and bring lots of water.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 06-25-2009, 8:15 PM
Banned

You can count me in too! I dont have a truck or anything, but I would love to help...So long as we can get some shooting in either before or after the cleanup!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagelthief View Post
So long as we can get some shooting in either before or after the cleanup!!!
+1
Old 06-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taloft View Post
I'm mentoring the WOT program that Sunday.

I used to camp out at the Valley of the Moon all the time. This would be South of the Interstate. Not all of the In Ko Pah area is open to shooting. Some of it is private land and some is prohibited by the BLM. About 10 years ago some clown shot the transmission lines that run along the hills. It cost $100,000+ to do the repairs. The BLM shut a lot of it down. Then there were the idiots sniping at the Mexicans. I would recommend that you obtain a topo map of the area in question, pull the coordinates for the area you want to go, and contact the BLM field office in El Centro prior to going out. Consider it cheap insurance. They may have reopened some of the closed areas but, I seldom see areas reopened once closed.

Just because someone has been shooting there doesn't mean it is open. I have taken the liberty of contacting the El Centro office to inquire about areas that may be open or closed to recreational shooting in the In Ko Pah area. I also let them know that we may be doing a cleanup in July, although I left that one in the air. I'll post the response here. Keep in mind that the temp. can get above 90 during the day at this time of year, and can reach well over a 100 during the summer. Dress accordingly and bring lots of water.

That is great! Thanks for calling them, I didn't think much past rake, trash bags and pick up truck. I can't believe someone was shooting at Mexicans down there! Whatever you thoughts are on illegal immigration, that is WAY beyond stupid. I really appreciate the extra leg work you did. Even if an area is closed for shooting, could we still clean it up?
Peter
Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 PM

You can count me...I have a truck and access to a dump trailer
Thanks, Jeff
Old 06-26-2009, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers Jeff, this should be fun!
Old 06-27-2009, 1:31 AM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchador768 View Post
That is great! Thanks for calling them, I didn't think much past rake, trash bags and pick up truck. I can't believe someone was shooting at Mexicans down there! Whatever you thoughts are on illegal immigration, that is WAY beyond stupid. I really appreciate the extra leg work you did. Even if an area is closed for shooting, could we still clean it up?
Peter
I sent an email because it was past office hours, no reply yet. If I don't hear from them this weekend, I'll phone them Monday.

Not only were they shooting at Illegals but, I was told by a BP agent that they were shooting across the fence into Mexico! He pointed out some holes in the fence to back his story. Those idiots are lucky some coyote didn't put a hole in them. At first, he thought we were border hoppers. That is why he came over to invetigate. Turns out that the area is known for smuggling and illegals crossing over. He warned us to be careful and watch our backs. Nice fellow.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 07-01-2009, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Are we still doing this?
Old 07-01-2009, 4:31 PM

I'm in for cleaning up out there, I have a truck as well. I'm out of town the last half of July but will be back early august. Be careful shooting out there, I have been shot at from the mexico side of the border before.
Old 07-01-2009, 7:22 PM

Has a firm date been set?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJN8 View Post
Has a firm date been set?
Sunday July 12th would work best for me but that Saturday could work as well. I work nights on Fridays so I would be a little brain dead.
Old 07-02-2009, 6:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not only were they shooting at Illegals but, I was told by a BP agent that they were shooting across the fence into Mexico!

I know a couple of people who do that, never with me, but they claim to do it all the time.
Old 07-02-2009, 2:40 PM

I'd probaby be game as well if the date set is right.

Guns don't kill people. People Kill people.
Old 07-07-2009, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

I will be going out Sunday the 12th, we could all meet at Tyler's Taste of Texas in El Cajon around 8 am. Either post up on the thread or PM me if you are going.
Peter
Old 07-11-2009, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

The clean up has been canceled, we can reschedule in October when it cools down a bit.
Peter
Old 07-12-2009, 2:07 PM

would it be wrong to donate a couple cases of cold beer and sodas to the guys who clean up the ranges? maybe throw in some snacks too?im pressed for time and i dont know how well i finacial contribution would work, but i could turn the finacial donation into something incentive related, like beers. or maybe even some cold waters?

if someone has a better idea i could help with then let me know. im not rich but ill help with what i can
Old 10-12-2009, 1:45 PM

Default I know that this is an old thread

I know that this is an old thread, but there still needs to be a clean up out there. I thought that the whole area had been shut down by the BLM, but it looks like the In-Ko-Pah area is still open. It looks like some people are trying to do their part, but more needs to be done. The Carrizo Creek side was cleaned up (the BLM organized a group after they shut it down). I’m sure that they will be keeping an eye on the In-Ko-Pah side now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
my ferret has served me well
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
CGF doesn't make laws - it only destroys them.

-Gene
Old 10-12-2009, 3:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid52 View Post
If you know of a favorite backcountry shooting spot, best keep that info to yourself or it will turn into a garbage dump by idiots who could care less about being responsable.
+1 to that
Old 10-25-2009, 8:34 AM

If you don't know already the Border Patrol has requested a permanent closing for 210 acres of land use where the Airport Mesa / Carrizo creek shooting area is. A notification is posted on the El Centro BLM office site. It looks like BLM is going to grant this closure. According the the BLM website anyone who wants to appeal the closure has 30 days from 10/05/09 to get their response into the offices listed.

I have only shot out there once and agree that it could use a cleanup and would be willing to help.

The Border Patrol sights danger to their agents from the gunfire from the target shooting areas. Maybe certain areas could be posted for only for handgun or shotgun use and others for rifle or all use depending upon where the BP access road is in relation to those areas.

I would hate to lose this area since there aren't that many open areas to target shoot here in Southern California. I would hope that we could make the area safe and useful to all parties in question.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM

True , we should make areas safe for EVERYBODY, but the areas suggested by the BP is pushing it. Of all LEA the BP is one of the best. I have seen plenty of BP in my years of shooting in the backcountry. They seem to be one of the only LEA that do not seem threatened by someone shooting firearms. A friendly wave is common with the BP. Lets make sure to keep areas CLEAN and dont do anything to give ANYONE a reason to shut down areas.
Old 10-25-2009, 3:48 PM

I been out there a few times and it is sad to see it how it was.

I always clean up before I leave and end up taking out more then I brought.

I love this area and we need to keep it for us. Next time I get a chance to go out there. I'm going to clean up as much as I can.
Old 11-04-2009, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I also let them know that we may be doing a cleanup in July, although I left that one in the air. I'll post the response here. Keep in mind that the temp. can get above 90 during the day at this time of year, and can reach well over a 100 during the summer. Dress accordingly and bring lots of water.
We used to do the cleanups in April and November(ish)... that's when the temps are more reasonable, but not much chance of rain.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 AM

You guys make me proud to be a calgunner. I haven't been out to BLM land to shoot yet, but the first time I do, I'm filling up a few Glad bags of trash in your honor!
Old 11-09-2009, 2:10 PM

This range is in serious need of a cleanup! If we don't do our part, San Diegians will have to drive even further to shoot on BLM land.

Until a cleanup is arranged, take out more than you brought. Every bit helps.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

The weather is definitely better now, I would love to head out and clean up the area.
Peter
Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Let me know when!