Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default SD Gun Show: How's it looking?

9:56 am. Been in traffic for 1 hour now. How is it looking in there? Still stuff for sale or is it all wiped out?

Progress updates appreciated...

Glock 35 Gen 3
Various Trijicon Optics
Old 03-09-2013, 9:20 AM

10:19am. Got in. Line is 1 hour wait to get in once parked. Geez.

10:25am. Quick update. The very long line is only if you already have your tickets. Poor signage and no directions. Turnout is crazy.

1:00 pm. Left in a rush. Wished I could have stayed longer. They still have tons of stuff if you are patient. I heard of rationing but was pleased to see some guys leaving with thousands if rounds. Will go back tomorrow morning.

Glock 35 Gen 3
Various Trijicon Optics

Last edited by jeanreau; 03-09-2013 at 1:37 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 AM

Is it still crazy there? I am thinking about going tomorrow to see how AR parts are looking, but if it is poor selection and a long wait to get in I may skip it.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM

I waited an hour and a half to get to the parking booth. Once there, the woman inside advised me that it was a 2 hour wait to get inside the show. She suggested I come back tomorrow morning at 4:30am to get in before the crowd gets crazy...

The traffic was insane... the right hand lane to exit at via de la valle from northbound side of 5 stretched all the way up the hill toward del mar heights road.... it was crazy...

We pussed out and left. Might go back early tomorrow morning depending on what folks say is still there. I was looking for ammunition primarily, as were the majority of others I suspect..
Old 03-09-2013, 1:14 PM

Pretty much what I expected. Only interested in 223/556, 45 and 22lr......
223/556 - anything new was 75 CPR, cheapest was LAX reloads at 68 CPR
45 - anything new was 45 CPR, LAX had reloads for 38 CPR
22lr - anything I saw was 7-8 CPR

Mags, Craigslist prices, then some
Pmag rebuild kits $50
USGI rebuild kits $30-$40
Some really poor looking USGI "style" mags $20 or $25

Show special 80%......$300. Another had them for $220

Think the food was the best deal and some nice looking safes
Old 03-09-2013, 3:07 PM
Intergalactic Member

WOW! Have never seen a Del Mar gun show like this! Sooooo many people! The lines were hours long to get in and get ammo. Some people showed up at 4am to get in line. Maybe 2 hours to get a ticket and get in, and then hours more to get to the ammo tables. When I left at 1:30pm, still an hour wait to get in, and 1.5 hours more to get ammo! They made EVERYONE walk the length of the building to get in. Very disorganized!

Ammo prices were 50-100% over "normal prices"!

.........STGC(SW)

SAF Life Member

NRA Benefactor
Old 03-09-2013, 3:24 PM

Hmmm - thanks for the reports. That's pretty much what I expected to hear. Just not worth my time to wait in that traffic and in those kinds of lines. It seems that ammo is at available unlike a month or so ago... just a matter of how much you're willing to pay.
Old 03-09-2013, 4:45 PM

Woops. This is the Del Mar show thread. I'll go erase mine.
Old 03-09-2013, 4:52 PM

Got in line at 7am. Waited 2 hours and we started being waved in. Caught 3 separate groups of line jumpers. Got into the first MiWall ammo line, my first mistake of the day. Had some very deep and interesting conversations about reloading, where to go for BLM shooting, our favorite ranges, why we liked our respective mothers in law, our philosophies on being married, kids, and FOUR HOURS LATER, I went in to get my ammo and I'm only allowed to buy 100 rounds *total* of .22lr. They let me buy 2 boxes of winchester .45acp, bless their hearts. They also let me buy a box of 9mm reloads. Dragged my stuff over to the food booth, got a polish sausage and a drink, my second mistake of the day. Got into line at the LAX Firing Range booth, took an hour. Got myself 3 boxes of 9mm. Hung around the show looking for miscellaneous things, got myself another polish sausage and a drink (ammo buying makes me hungry and thirsty), and finally went home.

The things we do for our sport, right? Soooo many conversations, so much talking, so much hanging out. I witnessed a woman taser her boyfriend. And then she asked him to taser her. Wow.
Old 03-09-2013, 5:55 PM

It was CRAAAAAAZZZZZZZYYYY! I've never seen soooo many people at the gun show. I used to get in, get my ammo and get out in about 2 hours. Today, it took 2 hours in traffic, 1.5 hours in line to get in (I bought my tix online) and another 2 hours in line for ammo. Uppers were plentiful at $500-800. 80% lowers were going for $150-300. Ammo ...WOW, was going for 3-4 times higher than prices from last year. Sat for a spell at the massage/tens unit booth (sorry, no happy ending ) and got to meet BadKitty and BPLVR at the Calguns booth.

Old 03-09-2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher80 View Post
Is it still crazy there? I am thinking about going tomorrow to see how AR parts are looking, but if it is poor selection and a long wait to get in I may skip it.
Absolute waste of time..

Was told 1hour wait at the gate so I payed the $10 for parking and it was total BS.. That line was at least a 3hr wait.. No chance I was waiting in that..

So It cost me probably $20 for nothing.. And NO "in and out" at the gate so I wasn't about to come back later and pay another $10..

At 9am there was a steady stream of people already leaving..

They probably made an easy 10k of all the people that pulled in payed and just split... Suck it Del Mar..

Don't go..
Old 03-09-2013, 7:45 PM

It was pretty brutal today, but worth it in my opinion.

I showed up at 7 am w/ ticket in hand and lined up in the proper line.

Gates opened at 9 am - I lined up for the big white, outside ammo tent, there are 2 lines here, one for reloading supplies, and one for ammo.

Got to the actual tent at around 12:30 p.m.

22lr - sold out of CCI Blazers, Remington Gold Bullets by the time I got there (12:30). They were limiting it to 500 rds/customer - I was with 3 other buddies, so they also picked up some 22lr for me and I reimbursed them.

I bought 500 rounds of the Aguila 22lr 40 gr rn for $52 after tax.... a bit high.

.45 ACP - they had Winchester white box for $217 for 500 rds and Wolf brand ammo for $18 for 50 rds. They had no limits on this caliber.

7.62 x 39 - Wolf brand ammo for both FMJ and HP were $280 for 1000 rds. No limits on this.

I also bought some .50 BMG - $64 for 10 rds.

I walked by the magazine booths to check out Glock mags and they had them marked up to $50 / magazine... crazy! The 30 rd Kriss Super V extension for .45 glocks were going for $200 / $175 depending on which booth you went to... These guys are insane... the kits are normally about $60.

All in all I got most of the things I wanted on my list, at the sacrifice of showing up early and waiting in line for 5 hours.

Last edited by ShotShell-207; 03-09-2013 at 7:49 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotShell-207 View Post
It was pretty brutal today, but worth it in my opinion.

I showed up at 7 am w/ ticket in hand and lined up in the proper line.

Gates opened at 9 am - I lined up for the big white, outside ammo tent, there are 2 lines here, one for reloading supplies, and one for ammo.

Got to the actual tent at around 12:30 p.m.

22lr - sold out of CCI Blazers, Remington Gold Bullets by the time I got there (12:30). They were limiting it to 500 rds/customer - I was with 3 other buddies, so they also picked up some 22lr for me and I reimbursed them.

I bought 500 rounds of the Aguila 22lr 40 gr rn for $52 after tax.... a bit high.

.45 ACP - they had Winchester white box for $217 for 500 rds and Wolf brand ammo for $18 for 50 rds. They had no limits on this caliber.

7.62 x 39 - Wolf brand ammo for both FMJ and HP were $280 for 1000 rds. No limits on this.

I also bought some .50 BMG - $64 for 10 rds.

I walked by the magazine booths to check out Glock mags and they had them marked up to $50 / magazine... crazy! The 30 rd Kriss Super V extension for .45 glocks were going for $200 / $175 depending on which booth you went to... These guys are insane... the kits are normally about $60.

All in all I got most of the things I wanted on my list, at the sacrifice of showing up early and waiting in line for 5 hours.
Lucky!! I got rationed by the time I got there, which was around 1:30pm
Old 03-09-2013, 8:11 PM

Talking

Took the family and figured if the gates open at 9:00 we should head out about 8:00 get there about 8:30 with the dolly and pick up a "couple " of things. What a mistake that was. We get about 4 miles from the exit and WTF? traffic at a stand still. Looks like the rest of Southern California had the same brilliant idea I had. Took almost 2 hours just to get a parking spot 3/4 of a mile away from the entrance.

Hey look I say this will make it easier. A few of those trolley thingy's so the girls don't have to walk so far. But NOOOO! they shut them down because there is to much traffic!! What are you even here for? Why are they paying you to sit in that seat if you won't drive them? Must be city employee's. OK so I got tickets ahead of time online so I won't have to be in the big line we can just walk in right? Well no, there are two lines one for tickets and one for admission. I kid you not it was almost a mile long. Took an hour and 45 minutes just to get inside. So here we are just getting through the door and it is already 12:15.

Hey honey, what is that line over there? Looks like it is by the MiWall ammo guys. I need to go there first for some .45, 9mm, .40, .22's, .308, and some 5.56, powder, and primers so lets find out. Me to a guy in line "hey guy in line what is this for?" Oh he says this is the ammo line here, over there is the other ammo line, and that long one is the primer, powder line. Gulp! How long is the wait? "Oh" he ways about 3 hours from this point. AAARRRRGGGHH!

So what to do so first things first it is time for a big *** tri-tip sammich. OK I found where the shortage is $8.00 for a small sandwich and $4.00 for bottled water. Yeah this is not going to end well. The place is supposed to shut down at 5:00 so I go to one of the sales guys and ask him "hows biz?" he goes "incredible we will be sold out by the end of the day. We brought over 3/4 of a million dollars or more worth of product and we will be going back to the shop with empty semi's.

Anyways didn't get anything but a nice tan and found out they broke a record for people that day by a long shot. Estimates are over 20,000 attended times $10 to park and $14 admission. At least my wife and daughter got some earrings.