Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns > Handguns Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Handguns Gallery Post your pictures of your favorite sidearm here.

Old 08-25-2012, 9:45 AM

Looks great. I want to pick one of these up
Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 PM

Double protection haha.

My baby, fresh polished barrel n bushings.

Old 08-26-2012, 8:42 AM

nice dog!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandyRedCoi View Post
nice dog!
Thank you, shes a chewer. Mean not nice lol
Old 08-26-2012, 6:56 PM

lol
Old 08-26-2012, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikSors View Post
Best bang for your buck.

Como Spider....Named it!
Old 08-27-2012, 4:36 PM

I call her MARYJAY!!
Old 08-27-2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson_L View Post
Double protection haha.

My baby, fresh polished barrel n bushings.

how you polish your barrel? Awesome lookn!!
Old 08-27-2012, 5:18 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabw101 View Post
how you polish your barrel? Awesome lookn!!
You can probably hit it with some very fine grit sandpaper and then finish it off with some good metal polish. You'll have to be careful though because I don't believe the RIA barrels are stainless steel so you'll have to keep it thinly coated in some oil.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon04GT View Post
You can probably hit it with some very fine grit sandpaper and then finish it off with some good metal polish. You'll have to be careful though because I don't believe the RIA barrels are stainless steel so you'll have to keep it thinly coated in some oil.
Wire wheel is way faster.
Old 08-28-2012, 1:04 AM

made the Nickel 38super "HER" gun

crappy iPhone4 pic
Old 08-28-2012, 1:57 AM

Sorry if this isn't the right area to post this or if it has been mentioned; I just thought it is relavent.

I am going to buy a RIA 1911 GIA; I want to turn it into a "customize" project. Can you guys give me some advice and tips on getting started? I would greatly appreciate it.

The pictures in this thread are awesome; you all are quite creative and have some very sexy 1911's.
-"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
-"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
-"Speak softly and carry a big stick". Theodore Roosevelt
-"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft". Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-28-2012, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMysterio13 View Post
Sorry if this isn't the right area to post this or if it has been mentioned; I just thought it is relavent.

I am going to buy a RIA 1911 GIA; I want to turn it into a "customize" project. Can you guys give me some advice and tips on getting started? I would greatly appreciate it.

The pictures in this thread are awesome; you all are quite creative and have some very sexy 1911's.
it depends what you want (personal preference) ???

do you want to work on the gun yourself or have a gun smith do the work?

1911 parts can be bought almost anywhere most will require some sort of fitting, if you get the GI model (basic) you will probably do more than if you started with one of the Tactical models.
Old 08-28-2012, 9:35 AM

Question What do you plan on using the gun for?

Quote:

First, decide on what you plan on using the gun for. If it's for personal defense, that's one thing, if it's for duty usage, then you have to take other things into consideration (EX: trigger weight, night sights, extended controls, use with hollow point and +P ammo, ETC)...where as if you want to use it for competition, what flavor of competition? IDPA or IPSC? They have different classes and different rules to abide by. If you want a target pistol for use at your local range, or say, for use as a bowling pin match gun, you'll have different needs again. So, think about what you realistically plan on using the gun for. Guns are tools. You use different tools for different purposes, right? I own five Rock Island Armory 1911 pistols, and I use them each for different purposes. Figure out the purpose for the tool.

Second, check out www.brownells.com or www.midwayusa.com. They both are your friend. I prefer Brownells because they give discounts to Military and Law Enforcement personnel with active credentials and they have gunsmiths on call that you can speak with to ask questions. Their customer service is second to none. Brownells has a very large assortment of 1911 parts to choose from to meet every 1911 shooting need. I love them and can't recommend them enough.

Third, speak to a professional. People on blogs can give you good pointers. I have learned a few pointers on CalGuns. But, speak to a professional. People on blogs will give you their opinions. Use those opinions as a basis to do more homework. Go see a gunsmith. Check on CalGuns and find out who some good gunsmiths are. I recommend Mark Bunach, the Orange County Gunsmith (www.ocgunsmith.com/). He customized all 5 of my 1911 pistols and he services them as well. Other people will recommend their gunsmith. Check them all out, ask them questions, get price quotes and find out their turnaround time, and then see which one you can afford. Gunsmithing can cost a bunch, plus it is your gun after all, so choose wisely.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me or others on this thread. There are some nice 1911 pistols here and there are some creative people too.

Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:

You can start by learning how to fully detail strip the gun if you don't already know how to. You can start by smoothing out some of the internals such as sanding off the parkerizing from the trigger bow, polishing the bow, polishing the disconnector pads....smooth out the trigger track in the frame as well as the disconnector channel.

You might also want to radius the sharp edges of the grip safety so your hands don't bleed while shooting the gun lol
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
You can start by learning how to fully detail strip the gun if you don't already know how to. You can start by smoothing out some of the internals such as sanding off the parkerizing from the trigger bow, polishing the bow, polishing the disconnector pads....smooth out the trigger track in the frame as well as the disconnector channel.

You might also want to radius the sharp edges of the grip safety so your hands don't bleed while shooting the gun lol
Give himan explaination why you would smooth/polish thoes things. Helps him understand the perpose.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 AM

Wow, a lot of good advice, thank you all.
Quote:
it depends what you want (personal preference) ???

do you want to work on the gun yourself or have a gun smith do the work?

1911 parts can be bought almost anywhere most will require some sort of fitting, if you get the GI model (basic) you will probably do more than if you started with one of the Tactical models.
This would mostly be a Range and home defense gun.

That is what I have been reading/seeing. I definitely do have a lot of research ahead of me on what companies/parts to pick. I do have an idea of what I want to change/upgrade and the overall scheme.
Yes, I want the GI model so I can do more work and really make it mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
First, decide on what you plan on using the gun for. If it's for personal defense, that's one thing, if it's for duty usage, then you have to take other things into consideration (EX: trigger weight, night sights, extended controls, use with hollow point and +P ammo, ETC)...where as if you want to use it for competition, what flavor of competition? IDPA or IPSC? They have different classes and different rules to abide by. If you want a target pistol for use at your local range, or say, for use as a bowling pin match gun, you'll have different needs again. So, think about what you realistically plan on using the gun for. Guns are tools. You use different tools for different purposes, right? I own five Rock Island Armory 1911 pistols, and I use them each for different purposes. Figure out the purpose for the tool.

Second, check out www.brownells.com or www.midwayusa.com. They both are your friend. I prefer Brownells because they give discounts to Military and Law Enforcement personnel with active credentials and they have gunsmiths on call that you can speak with to ask questions. Their customer service is second to none. Brownells has a very large assortment of 1911 parts to choose from to meet every 1911 shooting need. I love them and can't recommend them enough.

Third, speak to a professional. People on blogs can give you good pointers. I have learned a few pointers on CalGuns. But, speak to a professional. People on blogs will give you their opinions. Use those opinions as a basis to do more homework. Go see a gunsmith. Check on CalGuns and find out who some good gunsmiths are. I recommend Mark Bunach, the Orange County Gunsmith (www.ocgunsmith.com/). He customized all 5 of my 1911 pistols and he services them as well. Other people will recommend their gunsmith. Check them all out, ask them questions, get price quotes and find out their turnaround time, and then see which one you can afford. Gunsmithing can cost a bunch, plus it is your gun after all, so choose wisely.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me or others on this thread. There are some nice 1911 pistols here and there are some creative people too.

Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil
Great info thank you.
It will be mostly for the shooting range and for home defense. Very true about picking the right tool.
That is a great suggestion. I have used both of those websites before; I will plan on checking out both of those places/websites for parts.
I will definitely plan on using a Gunsmith for most of the work; although I would like to do as much of the word as I can.
Quote:

I have been watching some videos to get used to it.

I see: as Jayson_L mentioned, could you explain why those things are important to do?
Thanks.

Overall I greatly appreciate the help everyone, thank you. Any more info is greatly welcome.
Hopefully some time in the near future I can proudly share my RIA here.
-"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
-"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
-"Speak softly and carry a big stick". Theodore Roosevelt
-"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft". Theodore Roosevelt
Old 09-01-2012, 1:06 AM
In Memoriam

^^ Basically all metal parts that work against each other will benefit from smoothing and/or polishing. In the case of RIA 1911's, they parkerize their trigger bows (probably cause it aint stainless steel) so the finish isn't very slick. In Most 1911 frames, the trigger track may have slight burrs in them and your gun will benefit from that area getting deburred. You can use a square-ended wooden chopstick wrapped in same fine grit sandpaper and gently run it against the track back and forth to smooth things out a bit.

You can also get an aftermarket trigger if you wanted, and it will probably come with a smooth stainless steel bow that you can further hand polish if you wanted.

I found the head of the disconnector and the disconnector channel to be a slightly rough too. The disconnector needs to travel smoothly inside the disconnector channel in the frame. I rolled a small piece of 1500 and 3000 grit sandpaper and moved it in out of the hole. You can actually feel the grityness at the start and then feel things smoothen out after a little bit. I also sanded the parkerizing off the top of the disconnector and finished it with some polish. Just makes things smoother a bit.

I also gently sanded off and polished both sides of the disconnector paddle where the rear of the trigger bow works against as well as the middle leaf of the sear spring.

The tips of the sear spring were also a bit rough in mine so you can gently sand it and polish it.

So you can do all this for free and pretty much end up with a smoother 1911.

Also if your RIA GI ends up being anything like mine where the edges of the grip safety are super sharp causing your hands to bleed after 50 rounds of shooting, you might also want to hit that with a file and sandpaper and finish it off with cold blue.

Last edited by Brandon04GT; 09-01-2012 at 1:16 AM..
Old 09-01-2012, 10:22 PM
In Memoriam

Just an updated pic of my rock with a new EB ambi safety that was a PITA to install.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

RIA 38 Super 1911 GI with 9mm conversion barrel. Garage "bubbad" 1911.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 PM

Not a good picture but you get the point. Have some wilson combat upgrades nothing to crazy, still need to have my barrel bushing fitted.

Old 09-02-2012, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGrAM View Post
RIA 38 Super 1911 GI with 9mm conversion barrel. Garage "bubbad" 1911.

are the sights a direct fit? how are they? looks good!
Old 09-02-2012, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
are the sights a direct fit? how are they? looks good!
They are "narrow tenon" MGW's three dot white sights. They are great! Compared to the factory GI sights.

Link: Make sure you buy "narrow tenon" and not "wide tenon"(like I did the first time) lol. If you plan on buying.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...D-SIGHT-COMBOS

They are a PITA to install but if you have one of these http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9...T-SIGHT-STAKER It isn't too much trouble doing the front sight. The rear sight needed some fitting but a set of files and brass punches will do the job.

And Thanks.
Old 09-02-2012, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGrAM View Post
They are "narrow tenon" MGW's three dot white sights. They are great! Compared to the factory GI sights.

Link: Make sure you buy "narrow tenon" and not "wide tenon"(like I did the first time) lol. If you plan on buying.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...D-SIGHT-COMBOS

They are a PITA to install but if you have one of these http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9...T-SIGHT-STAKER It isn't too much trouble doing the front sight. The rear sight needed some fitting but a set of files and brass punches will do the job.

And Thanks.
cool thanks, also noticed u changed the trigger.

did u also add an ambi safety? im trying to source out a nickel finished ambi safety for my 38super as well

thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
cool thanks, also noticed u changed the trigger.

did u also add an ambi safety? im trying to source out a nickel finished ambi safety for my 38super as well

thanks
Yeah, the trigger is a Fusion long-flat trigger.
Link: http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle...11-Flat/Detail

And I used to have a Colt ambi-safety but I didn't like it. It felt cheap and didn't look as good as I wanted. I decided to put the original safety back in after I refinished the gun.

Good luck finding a nickle finished safety.
Old 09-07-2012, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

mine is over a year old

vz grips

Last edited by Darklyte27; 09-19-2012 at 9:24 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 7:26 PM
In Memoriam

^^ where'd you get those grips from? I've been wanting the gunner grips but I heard the original ones are no longer made and most reproductions do not feature the same pattern...
Old 09-07-2012, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

Here are mine.

RIA 2011 Tactical and 9mm Tactical

Old 09-08-2012, 5:32 AM

that 2011 tactical is nice
Old 09-08-2012, 6:28 AM

Quote:
^^ where'd you get those grips from? I've been wanting the gunner grips but I heard the original ones are no longer made and most reproductions do not feature the same pattern...
A guy on eBay makes some. I have a pair for my commander but never use them cus they're such an aggressive grip. They ate at my side when I wore it IWB.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Old 09-08-2012, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
A guy on eBay makes some. I have a pair for my commander but never use them cus they're such an aggressive grip. They ate at my side when I wore it IWB.
I just ordered a set from ebay from a seller :nineteen11_grips he makes very good grips at an excellent price too.
They make my RIA look sooo much better and feels grea in hand too.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 09-08-2012, 5:52 PM
In Memoriam

Cool....I just checked his listings and I dont' see anything that resemble the gunner grips. He has these "wasp nest" ones that are like hexagonal dimples and then some "D-FENCE" ones with really big dimples.
Old 09-08-2012, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Cool....I just checked his listings and I dont' see anything that resemble the gunner grips. He has these "wasp nest" ones that are like hexagonal dimples and then some "D-FENCE" ones with really big dimples.
I purchased the wasp nest ones and man they are awesome. Fit and finish was excellent.
I was also looking at Strike Industries grips too. Great pricing also.
http://strikeindustries.com/shop/

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 09-08-2012, 6:00 PM

Old 09-08-2012, 6:35 PM

That's the guy I got them from. These too. I really like these grips. Smooth but still have grip.

Last edited by ASTMedic; 09-08-2012 at 6:38 PM..
Old 09-09-2012, 1:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftWiz View Post
Cool picture. Gives me ideas.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Hi All,

Going to pick up my RIA out of jail soon and would like to purchase some new grips before she's out on bail.

I am interested in the thinest rubber grips in the market. Many choices out there look great but I cannot try most of them before ordering online. Decided to ask those who already have a nice slim pair.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 1:05 PM

Munkeeboi you have a great looking pair there. I wish i had got the 2011 and i want one in a 9mm also
Old 09-12-2012, 1:36 PM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347485782.783634.jpg