Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 7:54 AM

Default Air Rifle for my Kid

What would be a good starter air rifle for my 10 year old? I want to get him comfortable with basic shooting safety/mechanics before moving him to a single shot .22 rimfire.
Old 01-13-2020, 8:00 AM

The Crosman classic 2100 would be my suggestion. Easy to use and inexpensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Can I cosine it? Sorry to go off on a tangent...
Quote:
Religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together. James Madison
Old 01-13-2020, 8:08 AM

I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:17 AM

I'd say that it completely depends on the 10 year-old & how he'll be using it.

My boys have both been instructed on safety from the age of 3 (Eddie Eagle rules). My 10 year-old passed hunter safety about a year ago & I was happy to give him a .22 after that. He's proven to me that he can be safe over the years. For backyard plinking, he can shoot any of my airguns as long as I'm around. He even takes my PCPs for turkey hunting. But for shooting on his own, mostly unsupervised, I prefer that he stick with an older crosman multi-pump pneumatic or the classic red ryder. We have neighbors so there's just less chance for damage with those weaker rifles. Plus, he almost never shoots alone and I don't yet fully trust his younger brother or any of his friends due to age & exposure. But he, even now at age 10, can comfortably shoot my wife's SxS 20 gauge and pretty much safely operate & fire all of my other firearms (.223, .308, handguns, 50-cal muzzleloader). But, again, in the backyard, unsupervised, only the kid stuff.

Although I'd trust my own son by himself to shoot an adult airgun responsibly, I'd still prefer to stay in the 500 fps or less range. Oddball ricochets & brief moments of judgment lapses (which don't go away for another 10 years) are still just more catastrophic with adult airguns.

Last edited by CVShooter; 01-13-2020 at 10:23 AM..
Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM

Very good insight, I appreciate the thoughtful response.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 AM

Ten year olds vary widely.

Just watch the cocking mechanism and make sure to get one that is not too stout for his size.

I like the Daisy BB guns for beginners. He can shoot all day for a buck or two and really tear up some pop cans without too much danger to himself or society.

If he has not yet attended, get him into a Hunters Safety Class...he'll likely do better than some of the adults in class, and he will love it.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Ten year olds vary widely.

Just watch the cocking mechanism and make sure to get one that is not too stout for his size.

I like the Daisy BB guns for beginners. He can shoot all day for a buck or two and really tear up some pop cans without too much danger to himself or society.

If he has not yet attended, get him into a Hunters Safety Class...he'll likely do better than some of the adults in class, and he will love it.
I'll chime in on the Hunter Ed classes. While I think nearly every gun owner in America should take a class like it (practical firearms safety, not just range safety), the class is geared for age 12+. Kids younger than that fail the test more often. So 10 would be about the youngest I'd recommend. A good student with a family culture around firearms, hunting and safety -- sure. A total newbie who rarely handles or discusses firearms safety (say a few times a year) -- might be best to wait.
Old 01-15-2020, 6:46 AM

Got it.
Old 01-15-2020, 5:32 PM

Whilst being in a different price league to the Crosman , the Hw30s is a quality air rifle and extremely accurate with open sights or a scope . It is ideal for a youngster or adult and being break action , you can fire a shot every cycle . Kids may well get tired or bored pumping a pneumatic . Good luck .
Old 01-16-2020, 1:25 PM

Check out the Hatsan 95 with the spring piston, it'll be something that lasts forever. Break action, adjustable trigger, walnut stock, all metal. Crosman and Daisy guns nowadays aren't what they used to be. Plus the spring piston won't wear out over time like the traditional springs of yesterday.
Old 01-16-2020, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKScott View Post
Whilst being in a different price league to the Crosman , the Hw30s is a quality air rifle and extremely accurate with open sights or a scope . It is ideal for a youngster or adult and being break action , you can fire a shot every cycle . Kids may well get tired or bored pumping a pneumatic . Good luck .
An excellent suggestion.

The HW30s is a great choice for anyone. Yes, it’s more expensive than most of the other air rifles mentioned, but in the long run you’ll appreciate the quality. Another point to consider is that the HW30 is very easy to cock.
Old 01-16-2020, 4:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

started out with a red ryder it was good enough for soda cans
Old 01-17-2020, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
started out with a red ryder it was good enough for soda cans
^^^^Every kid should have one of those.
Old 01-17-2020, 5:32 PM

Who carries the Hatsan?
Old 01-18-2020, 4:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mine started off with scoped break barrel spring pellet guns.

Shooting paper, tin cans and various metal action targets I made. Can’t remember the first two they got...but they are currently shooting a Whisper Fusion Mach 1...loud, accurate and I think 1400 FPS.

They got safety instruction regarding firearms first from a local shooting instructor. They shot 20ga, 12ga, 9mm and .45 all the while shooting pellet guns. Started them around 8 or 9 years old. They are great shots and very safety conscious.

BB guns were in there someplace...but they liked a little more accuracy with pellets.
Old 01-18-2020, 6:47 PM

Big 5 carry Hatsan air rifles and they have a break Barrel Springer in .177 on offer till the 20th for $89 , complete with scope , i saw their flyer on Friday .
Old 01-19-2020, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMG View Post
Who carries the Hatsan?
I got my Hatsans at www.airgundepot.com they have a huge selection. My last order was at airgunsofarizona they didn't charge me tax.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:19 AM

That's a great idea to get your kid started with an air gun. Even if he's gone out shooting with you plenty of times before, it's a different kind of thing to actually own your first gun, so that will be a good opportunity to teach him how to care for his gear and how to use it safely.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

By 10, I had a crossman 760-10 pump gun with irons

By 12, I got a Sheridan blue streak.

I still like starting with irons and moving later to optics.

Learning with irons will help with all other platforms - shotgun and handgun later on.

My 1st was a red ryder and I was too small to cock it myself. I don’t know the age when I got it but it is so crude: bad sights and bad accuracy I would lean towards a pump. 3 pumps is fine for close targets.

Plastic 16 ounce soda bottle as a fun knock over target.

“You found that offensive? I found that funny. That’s why I’m happier than you.”

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 01-24-2020, 11:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

George where are you located? I have a couple airguns I don't use and would donate to you and your boy if you're in the Pasadena/LA area.

Good on you for teaching him the way!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:05 PM

Why a BB gun and not an airsoft gun? Just curious.
Airsoft dork
Contributor Airsoft Digest
Old 01-25-2020, 10:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Something he can pump or charge or cock by himself. I have several some are very tough to swing the barrel to cock.
Old 02-01-2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
George where are you located? I have a couple airguns I don't use and would donate to you and your boy if you're in the Pasadena/LA area.

Good on you for teaching him the way!
I'm up in Fresno. Your offer is incredibly generous. But I've got this taken care of. I'm starting him out real simple with a red Ryder. I'm trying to get him comfortable with it unloaded, real basic safety skills. When I'm convinced he knows the operation to my satisfaction, I'm going to grab my Henry .22 carbine, and we'll go and shoot some cans.