Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 10:40 PM

Default Can we talk paintball markers here?

Can we talk shop about paintball markers here or is this room specifically for Airguns/Airsoft specifically?

I saw a pepperball gun with an under-barrel air tank that looked interesting but I can't find a paintball marker with that kind of configuration.
Old 12-12-2019, 4:55 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2D View Post
Can we talk shop about paintball markers here or is this room specifically for Airguns/Airsoft specifically?
Yes, since they fall under the same CA laws that regulates airguns and airsoft.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-12-2019, 11:10 PM

Thanks, Quiet.

Ok check this out: http://www.southernpoliceequipment.c....asp?h=b&b=193

Aside from looking great, I like the under-barrel mounting of the air tank. However, they take proprietary ammo (including green marker rounds) and are not meant for standard .68 paintballs. Additionally, they are available only to LEO sales, apparently.

Does anyone know of a consumer-available paintball marker with a similar under-barrel tank mounting configuration? I've scoured the internet as best i can and can't find one. I suppose something like this could be built around a standard milsim marker but I'd rather buy it like this.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Planet Eclipse Ego. I’ve owned just about every high-end marker out there and they are by far THE best.

Why do yo want the tank mounted forward like that?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Why do yo want the tank mounted forward like that?
The typical drop-tank setup always feels... unbalanced to me. With air or nitrogen it's not so bad but with C02 the ergonomics have just never felt natural to me. My natural instinct is to shoulder it in a similar manner to a carbine and with my stature (read: short) the tank always sits in a less than ideal spot.

I guess I'd like to try one as a curiosity and see if there's any oil in that well, so to speak. But if there was, maybe there WOULD be a standard offering marker like that?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2D View Post
The typical drop-tank setup always feels... unbalanced to me. With air or nitrogen it's not so bad but with C02 the ergonomics have just never felt natural to me.

I guess I'd like to try one as a curiosity and see if there's any oil in that well, so to speak.
Extra weight out front (pounds, not ounces) makes the gun way harder to point/manipulate quickly. If you’re playing just straight paintball/speedball you want that weight back in your shoulder or at least centered.

They make the police style markers like the above because it better replicates the balance/feel of a real rifle.

If you can afford it I would also go with air. Much cleaner & easier to maintain.

Last edited by BigStiCK; 12-12-2019 at 11:40 PM..
Old 12-15-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStiCK View Post
Extra weight out front (pounds, not ounces) makes the gun way harder to point/manipulate quickly. If you’re playing just straight paintball/speedball you want that weight back in your shoulder or at least centered.

They make the police style markers like the above because it better replicates the balance/feel of a real rifle.

If you can afford it I would also go with air. Much cleaner & easier to maintain.
That makes sense. Even so i'd still like to try out something in that kind of configuration. Just to see what it's like.

If/when I ever get into paintballing again I'd go air or nitrogen. Getting to a good woodsball spot from central OC takes a bit of a drive.
Old 12-16-2019, 4:24 AM

The VM-68 had an option to run the tank like that. It's super old and no longer sold.
Old 12-16-2019, 4:44 AM

It's all about the snap shot and the snipe -----------no ropes. A lot like competing in IDPA with a revolver.

I didn't use much paint but I did have to try a lot to find the right size.......
Old 12-16-2019, 7:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Target transitions are harder with more weight forward.

Do you have any paintball shops you can visit?

“You found that offensive? I found that funny. That’s why I’m happier than you.”

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 12-16-2019, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

I always preferred the tank to angle back towards my shoulder at a 45 degree-ish angle. Forward was way too heavy, especially with a HPA tank, and I never liked running CO2 tanks when they weren't in something approaching vertical orientation.

I never played "pro" style ball, though, so I also never needed to be able to shoot thousands of rounds in a match. I'd usually keep a handful of 9oz tanks, and swap them out every match or two for my Automag.
Old 12-20-2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Target transitions are harder with more weight forward.

Do you have any paintball shops you can visit?
Most of them are north of where I am. Nothing 20-30 minutes of driving can't get me to. There used to be 3-4 of them in South County but they're all gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
I always preferred the tank to angle back towards my shoulder at a 45 degree-ish angle. Forward was way too heavy, especially with a HPA tank, and I never liked running CO2 tanks when they weren't in something approaching vertical orientation.

I never played "pro" style ball, though, so I also never needed to be able to shoot thousands of rounds in a match. I'd usually keep a handful of 9oz tanks, and swap them out every match or two for my Automag.
When I did play, I was always playing woodsball or something similar. I used a Tippmann 98 with a few accessories on it.
Old 12-22-2019, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

I started out with a Sheridan thunder pig, later used a tippman pump then finally a tippmann semi auto. Haven’t played paintball in many years.
Old 01-16-2020, 5:58 PM

Back in the day we used to rock Tippmann A5's in this configuration:

I remember seeing some folks going so far as to mod their tanks to be set up front and hide it underneath a Grenade Launcher shroud - ah the good ole' days! Now why would you do something like this? Well, situating the tank directly behind the marker inline with the bore prevents being able to look down the sights in conjunction to wearing a mask; in other words, a horrible cheek-weld and not to mention the obnoxiously long length-of-pull. So unless you fabri'cobble an adapter of sorts yourself or significantly offset the sights/optic, it really does not work all that well. Could you run the tank in a traditional paintball-type setup underneath the grip? Sure, but it looks atrocious for a 'Tacticool' marker and you lose all your cool points which we all know, looking cool is what it's all about. Another option aside from the aforementioned is to run a Remote-Line which relocates the tank onto your person and connects to your marker via an umbilical cord.

Now for your inquiry:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/First-Strik...-/392611993338
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNDER-BARRE...-/233176952531
https://mcsus.com/products/tac800-un...rel-tank-mount
https://www.pbsports.com/products/ti...-and-stock-kit

If you're lucky, you can snag a used Tippmann A5 for a couple bucks off of Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or LetGo and drop in one of the above kits and be on your way. Of course, you're really going to have to get your paws on a bunch of gear and play a few games to figure out what setup works best for you. It took me a few years to do just that and even then, I do still like to change it up a bit every now and again. Anyway, good luck and I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Last edited by Zenith; 01-16-2020 at 6:23 PM..
Old 01-24-2020, 1:43 AM

^^^ That is excellent. Thank you so much. That's the kind of parts and kit I was looking for.
Old 01-24-2020, 8:01 AM

I know this is not under barrel mounted but have you considered one mounted inside the stock ?? Check out the RAP 468.. probably one of the best paintball markers out there.. you might be pleasently suprised..

Watch "RAP4 [468] Paintball Gun Torture Test" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/_T0S4UWqvPo
Old 01-25-2020, 10:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbedtruckin View Post
I know this is not under barrel mounted but have you considered one mounted inside the stock ?? Check out the RAP 468.. probably one of the best paintball markers out there.. you might be pleasently suprised..

Watch "RAP4 [468] Paintball Gun Torture Test" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/_T0S4UWqvPo
We filmed some promotional videos for KT some years ago using his products - hopefully they are more reliable now.