Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 10-14-2019, 6:54 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.
Default Using air tank to fill PCP airgun

Hi all,

Jumped down the rabbit hole into the PCP airgun world and would like some input on what to buy to fill my gun at home from an air tank. I tried a hand pump for about 10 minutes and that was all it took for me to start shopping for an air tank.

Would prefer one of the medium sized carbon fiber tanks.

My gun is an FX Wildcat MKII Compact .25.

Anyone here have experience on what to buy and where a good place to buy from would be?

There is a paintball store near me that advertises air tanks and such. I assume a tank is a tank- the difference being hoses and fill connectors?

Thanks for any advice.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 10-14-2019, 7:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Hi all,

Jumped down the rabbit hole into the PCP airgun world and would like some input on what to buy to fill my gun at home from an air tank. I tried a hand pump for about 10 minutes and that was all it took for me to start shopping for an air tank.

Would prefer one of the medium sized carbon fiber tanks.

My gun is an FX Wildcat MKII Compact .25.

Anyone here have experience on what to buy and where a good place to buy from would be?

There is a paintball store near me that advertises air tanks and such. I assume a tank is a tank- the difference being hoses and fill connectors?

Thanks for any advice.
You can get everything you want/need from Joe Brancato Air Tanks - http://www.airtanksforsale.com/. All his stuff - fill adapters, hoses, gauges, tanks, are excellent quality and considering that, are competitively priced. Also get a deadhead plug fitting so you can easily check the remaining pressure in your fill tank. Your rifle has a 230cc air cylinder so one of his 73cf 4500psi tanks would fill it 27 times from 3300 down to 2000psi - his 97cf tank would net 36 fills. Here is a handy online fill calculator - https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html

If the prices hurt too much, you can sometimes get used 4500psi 30, 45 or 60 minute SCBA tanks on ebay that still have 5+ years of life for less than $200. You need to ascertain the year of manufacture to determine life left. Currently SCBA tanks have a service life of 15 years from date of manufacture. After the 15 years has passed you will not be able to get your tank filled, unless you choose to fill it yourself, or send it in to have the rank tested and re certified for an additional 15 year life extension ( this currently cost $300 per tank) scba tanks also require a hydro test every 5 years.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.

Last edited by WartHog; 10-15-2019 at 2:00 PM..
Old 10-14-2019, 7:42 PM

You're going to want to get 4500 psi 88cf tank anything less than that and you'll regret it. Be prepared to spend $600 and up though
Old 10-14-2019, 9:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Do you fill at home with one of the chinese HP pumps?

Would one of the high pressure scuba cylinders be a cheaper option?

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-fbrhp/f...ef=productPage

“You found that offensive? I found that funny. That’s why I’m happier than you.”

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-15-2019, 6:48 AM

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Thanks all.

Warthog- Excellent info. I've seen Joe's website. Good stuff. Thought about a scuba tank, but need higher pressure.

Joefear- Thanks. You may be right. Hoping to stay with a smaller tank, but who knows.

Hermosa- Thanks. Thought about getting one of those Yong Heng (sp?) compressors, but, thinking by the time I get a decent air dryer, it'd be easier to get a tank and make a trip to the paintball or dive shop now and then. I won't be shooting that much.

Old 10-15-2019, 8:24 AM

I've purchased from Joe B. Good quality, fair prices. That was a couple years ago and prices for compressors have dropped with the introduction of new products. I recommend checking out these sites and look for reviews on the various products.

http://www.shoeboxcompressor.com
https://www.airgundepot.com/pcp-air-compressors.html
https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/compressors/
http://experthpa.com/cart/cart.php?m=product_list&c=20
https://www.pyramydair.com/search-re...;NB:1&saSearch

I purchased the Shoebox compressor but others weren't yet on the market then. It works fine. Takes a couple hours to fully refill a 97 cubic foot bottle (Brancato's "Great White") to 4500psi but that only needs to be done every few months so no big deal. Not a speed demon and it does need another (oil-free) compressor from which to boost pressure. Those can be had very inexpensively. Shoebox compressor prices have dropped A LOT so they might be the most cost-effective choice today.

Note that with compressed air, you MUST address any moisture that could be introduced into your air bottle, and air rifle, from the humidity in the air being compressed.

Last edited by Rivers; 10-15-2019 at 8:31 AM..
Old 10-15-2019, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post

Note that with compressed air, you MUST address any moisture that could be introduced into your air bottle, and air rifle, from the humidity in the air being compressed.
Thanks... your note above is why I'm leaning toward a tank. Figure professional fill shops (assuming I can find one that fills to 4500psi) would have better air filtration systems.

I have an email into Joe to ask him about the Tiger Shark tank. On his sites, I only see the Great White listed for sale.

Old 10-15-2019, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks... your note above is why I'm leaning toward a tank. Figure professional fill shops (assuming I can find one that fills to 4500psi) would have better air filtration systems.

I have an email into Joe to ask him about the Tiger Shark tank. On his sites, I only see the Great White listed for sale.
You can find all the water filters for compressed air at Home Depot, Lowes and even Harbor Freight. Very simple to plumb too.

Your FX is a very nice rifle and likely not something the neighborhood ground squirrels, etc. are going to appreciate. I know the rodents left my yard for over a year when my RAW HM1000x .30 began population control.

If you aren't going with the 97 cu ft tank, get your own compressor. My suggestion from personal experience.
Old 10-15-2019, 9:17 AM

Quote:

Where are you located? I might be able to refer you to a shop that fills that high.
Old 10-15-2019, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
You can find all the water filters for compressed air at Home Depot, Lowes and even Harbor Freight. Very simple to plumb too.

Your FX is a very nice rifle and likely not something the neighborhood ground squirrels, etc. are going to appreciate. I know the rodents left my yard for over a year when my RAW HM1000x .30 began population control.

If you aren't going with the 97 cu ft tank, get your own compressor. My suggestion from personal experience.
Cool. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefear7 View Post
Where are you located? I might be able to refer you to a shop that fills that high.
I'm in Escondido. Gogged Paintball is close to me. No clue if they can fill that high (or at all). I haven't had a chance to call or go by yet.

Old 10-15-2019, 9:23 AM

The paintball shop I use in Rancho Cucamanga does. I just have to call a couple hours ahead of time so they can get the compressor to kick on to get their tanks up to 4500 psi
Old 10-15-2019, 9:37 AM

Almost forgot the obligatory pic.

Mine is the Warcat edition.

Old 10-15-2019, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefear7 View Post
The paintball shop I use in Rancho Cucamanga does. I just have to call a couple hours ahead of time so they can get the compressor to kick on to get their tanks up to 4500 psi
Cool. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2019, 2:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP - that is one sweet bullpup!
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.
Old 10-15-2019, 3:27 PM

Nice Warcat!
I have the Gen I Wildcat 25, bought a small (Joe B) Guppy tank to use for it when out hunting, small and easily carried in a backpack. I can usually get about 10 top offs with that.
However, I also have a few other PCPs that require more air....so of course I bought a Shoebox compressor as I hated being at the mercy of a dive or paintball shop open hours and poor location to my residence. Shoebox to me works well as I simply top off my tanks after every shooting session (weekly) so fill time is minimal. The fill time is not fast, but it has an automatic shut off, so no baby sitting.
If you're filling from a low pressure on a Tiger Shark, it will take about 4 hours to top off, filling weekly as I do, it takes about a half to three quarters of an hour.
I keep track of my fill times as the Shoebox requires a reseal about every 100 hours or so. It's easy enough to reseal as well and there are excellent vids from the manufacturer (USA Made by the way). I top off the Guppy, Tiger Shark and my neighbors Great White (which he waits too long and runs it down to much for quick fills) and the time between reseals is about once every 16-18 months. Cost for the reseal kit is about $100 total.
If I were to do this all over, I would still opt for the Guppy for it's mobility, but buy a Great White, the difference in cost is minimal.
I would also opt for the carry handle, protective mesh and second gauge to see pressure left in cylinder.
You can find these tanks used for about 75% of new cost if you look around.
I also bought filters for the inflow compressor as the Shoebox is in actuality a 'booster' pump that requires a minimum of 90-100PSI inflow compressed air (which I already had in my garage compressor)
Lemme know if you need pictures or more information, I'm in SD East County.
One other item, you might try looking at a forum/site Airgun Nation, a TON of really good information on everything airgun related....and then some!

Last edited by Revoman; 10-15-2019 at 3:33 PM..
Old 10-15-2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoman View Post
Nice Warcat!
I have the Gen I Wildcat 25, bought a small (Joe B) Guppy tank to use for it when out hunting, small and easily carried in a backpack. I can usually get about 10 top offs with that.
However, I also have a few other PCPs that require more air....so of course I bought a Shoebox compressor as I hated being at the mercy of a dive or paintball shop open hours and poor location to my residence. Shoebox to me works well as I simply top off my tanks after every shooting session (weekly) so fill time is minimal. The fill time is not fast, but it has an automatic shut off, so no baby sitting.
If you're filling from a low pressure on a Tiger Shark, it will take about 4 hours to top off, filling weekly as I do, it takes about a half to three quarters of an hour.
I keep track of my fill times as the Shoebox requires a reseal about every 100 hours or so. It's easy enough to reseal as well and there are excellent vids from the manufacturer (USA Made by the way). I top off the Guppy, Tiger Shark and my neighbors Great White (which he waits too long and runs it down to much for quick fills) and the time between reseals is about once every 16-18 months. Cost for the reseal kit is about $100 total.
If I were to do this all over, I would still opt for the Guppy for it's mobility, but buy a Great White, the difference in cost is minimal.
I would also opt for the carry handle, protective mesh and second gauge to see pressure left in cylinder.
You can find these tanks used for about 75% of new cost if you look around.
I also bought filters for the inflow compressor as the Shoebox is in actuality a 'booster' pump that requires a minimum of 90-100PSI inflow compressed air (which I already had in my garage compressor)
Lemme know if you need pictures or more information, I'm in SD East County.
One other item, you might try looking at a forum/site Airgun Nation, a TON of really good information on everything airgun related....and then some!
Thanks. I've browsed Airgunnation a bit.

Thought about the shoebox, but considering you need another compressor (which I have) to use with it, I'm leaning toward one of those Yong Heng compressors as being a better value. i.e. if my compressor fails I would have to purchase another one to use the shoebox.

Not sure why I was considering a Tiger Shark sized tank v.s. the Great White. Guess I was thinking not too small, not too large. You're probably right, though. No reason not to get the GW. The guppy is cool too considering how transportable it is. Decisions... decisions.

Old 10-15-2019, 7:29 PM

"I'm leaning toward one of those Yong Heng compressors as being a better value."
There is a lot of information on the Yung Heng compressors here....
https://www.airgunnation.com/forum/a...ssors-filters/
Old 10-15-2019, 9:58 PM

Here is a nice fill calculator

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html

I use a 30 min scba 4500 psi tank I got on ebay and had it hydro tested. I get around 900 shots out of it. That is several trips out for me and the paintball shop refills it for $5, so worth it.

Old 10-16-2019, 3:15 PM

Man, now I know why I've stuck with springers. You're paying the equivalent of a very nice center fire reloading setup to charge a rifle. And not like (match) pellets are cheap. I've had my eye on a FWB 500 for awhile now, but another grand on top makes it less appealing by far.
Old 10-16-2019, 3:37 PM

My cousin in Florida have air rifle suppressor that can be shipped to Ca. if anyone interested.

https://donnyfl.com/
Old 10-16-2019, 3:40 PM

Well, in all fairness, one can hand pump or take to a scuba/paintball fill shop, but it's really about convenience. Thus the extra cash for that.
I like and enjoy my set up every weekend, yet have better things to do than hand pump.
Of course there's always 'To each his own' as well.
Old 10-16-2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedWeStand View Post
My cousin in Florida have air rifle suppressor that can be shipped to Ca. if anyone interested.

https://donnyfl.com/
A friend has one of those suppressors on his FX. We're going to test it on my rifle to see how it does.

Old 10-16-2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Well, in all fairness, one can hand pump or take to a scuba/paintball fill shop, but it's really about convenience. Thus the extra cash for that.
I like and enjoy my set up every weekend, yet have better things to do than hand pump.
Of course there's always 'To each his own' as well.
I have a big 8 hp 2 stage compressor in the garage, but not alot (read any) extra amps for a booster. I could swap it for a 5h 60 gallon single stage, but I'm still amp limited, since it's a cheap inefficient POS.
Old 10-16-2019, 7:22 PM

Donny fl puts out some really good product and the service is top notch.
Old 10-16-2019, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
Man, now I know why I've stuck with springers. You're paying the equivalent of a very nice center fire reloading setup to charge a rifle. And not like (match) pellets are cheap. I've had my eye on a FWB 500 for awhile now, but another grand on top makes it less appealing by far.
There’s no question that the start up cost for a PCP gun is initially very expensive, but once you have everything it’s really a rather cheap way to shoot.

Don’t forget Tim MacMurray’s place over in Signal Hill. He has tanks and fill whips that are reasonably priced. Also, he can fill your tank for you very inexpensively. I think, and don’t quote me, that if you buy one of his tank setups he’ll fill for free. The same goes if you buy pellets from him. He’s a very knowledgeable and decent sort. Give him a try.

Regarding match pellets, I’ve found that the vast majority of shooters will never be able to take advantage of the consistency that causes these pellets to cost so much. Try some RWS diabolo basics. They’re cheap and they group very well. You’ll probably never buy match pellets again.
Old 10-17-2019, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
There’s no question that the start up cost for a PCP gun is initially very expensive, but once you have everything it’s really a rather cheap way to shoot.

Don’t forget Tim MacMurray’s place over in Signal Hill. He has tanks and fill whips that are reasonably priced. Also, he can fill your tank for you very inexpensively. I think, and don’t quote me, that if you buy one of his tank setups he’ll fill for free. The same goes if you buy pellets from him. He’s a very knowledgeable and decent sort. Give him a try.

Regarding match pellets, I’ve found that the vast majority of shooters will never be able to take advantage of the consistency that causes these pellets to cost so much. Try some RWS diabolo basics. They’re cheap and they group very well. You’ll probably never buy match pellets again.
I'm in Costa Mesa, so I'll probably check out the guy in HB linked above. I actually have a couple old SCUBA tanks,but they are way out of date. I'm thinking about setting up a Running Target range and I'm def. interested in PCP for that.
Old 10-17-2019, 3:12 PM

So a little digging reveals that one can use nitrogen in PCP guns. And I can get 6K bottles of N02 when I get gas for my beer fridge. It's basically a tank swap rental. The guy in HB sells a fill kit with regulator. This seems to me to be the simplest solution I've seen yet. Anyone do this?
Old 10-17-2019, 7:02 PM

Yeah, its a topic on AGN. Some say its great others not so much. IF you have a good source and delivery, go for it. Those 6K cylinders are really heavy. One word of caution, if ya go for it, be certain to absolutely secure your cylinder to a wall so that it cannot fall over and break the valve off. Your cylinder provider probably has exactly what you need in order to do just that.
Old 10-17-2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, its a topic on AGN. Some say its great others not so much. IF you have a good source and delivery, go for it. Those 6K cylinders are really heavy. One word of caution, if ya go for it, be certain to absolutely secure your cylinder to a wall so that it cannot fall over and break the valve off. Your cylinder provider probably has exactly what you need in order to do just that.
It's totally dry as well. Chaining it to the wall is no big deal. Better for me,as our house's electrical was borderline when it was built and the former owners expanded. No microwave and toaster at the same time old. 2 prong everywhere and wrong where it "isn't".
Old 12-17-2019, 10:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I"ve worked with Jor Brancato on 3 different times.

He's great to work with, met his family, kids, saw his airgun collection and the HAM radio station..

He works with you, explains everything, and is always in good spirits.
Old 12-18-2019, 5:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP - What set-up did you end up going with?