Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Default where to shoot out in the desert

how far do people usually go to shoot out in the desert. for example therre is alot of nothing out off the 10 freeway by cabazon, but havent been out there before for shooting. Im looking for somewhere that I can do some serious blasting with about 10 or so different guns, and maybe ride some quads as well. Im at Camp Pendleton/ San clemente area, but with gas as cheap (compared to a moth or 2 ago) as it is Im not sweating the drive

Thanks in advance
Old 11-22-2008, 9:10 PM

Wow, I just came on the site to post this very question as I will be in Palm Springs all next week. I will keep an eye on this thread. So, can anyone out there help us out???
Old 11-22-2008, 9:30 PM
Veteran Member

Im in Anaheim and I often head up the 395 to do some shooting in Owens Valley. Its quite the drive but if youre into shooting, exploring mines, hiking, camping, etc, then its a good place to go. Its definitely not an afternoon trip type thing, but more of a weekend thing.
Andrew J.
Old 11-23-2008, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Im going out to Ocotillo Wells tuesday, does anyone know how to get to the area that some have shot at by the railroad tracks??
Old 11-24-2008, 3:38 AM

You might want to look at the Chriaco Summit, which is off of the I-10 near Indio. Lots of BLM land to use.

BUT....I haven't checked lately to find out if the fire restrictions have been lifted. There's a field office for the BLM in Palm Springs, so you can get the up-to-date info, plus maps.

Kind of an interesting place to visit is the George S. Patton Museum, at Chiriaco Summit. That entire area was used by Patton's 3rd Army for training, and there are still some artifacts that can be found in the remote areas. Oh, and you may need 4WD in some areas, due to the washes that have deep sand in them. Also fun for ATV's.
Old 11-24-2008, 7:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
You might want to look at the Chriaco Summit, which is off of the I-10 near Indio. Lots of BLM land to use.

BUT....I haven't checked lately to find out if the fire restrictions have been lifted. There's a field office for the BLM in Palm Springs, so you can get the up-to-date info, plus maps.

Kind of an interesting place to visit is the George S. Patton Museum, at Chiriaco Summit. That entire area was used by Patton's 3rd Army for training, and there are still some artifacts that can be found in the remote areas. Oh, and you may need 4WD in some areas, due to the washes that have deep sand in them. Also fun for ATV's.

+1 for the BLM office info & maps. The maps will have all the places that you can not go shooting or quad riding in like Wild Life Areas and ACEC's.

With the desert temps starting to drop to nice comfort levels now I was thinking of a desert hunting/shooting trip soon myself.