Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-09-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
No fee for additional guns. The class is $99 if you qualify one to five hand guns. 30 rounds per gun to qualify,

The re-qualification shoot consists of two 10 round magazines (total 20 rounds) untimed fire at 15 yards. Then you have ten rounds of timed fire at 15 yards. Five rounds, reload, and five rounds again all in 45 seconds (pretty simple).

You do one gun after the other. I just did mine there last Wednesday night. Easiest qualification I have ever had.

**(I see my mistake on the round count in your description of the timed portion - after the two ten round mags ‘untimed’, 5 rounds, then reload another 5 totaling 30 for each - thanks!)
Old 01-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarbled View Post
Humm, that’s a trip - I called Sac Sheriff last week after reserving my spot with CSC to ask about the gun limit, and they said three total, unchanged. My buddy, who didn’t go through CSC, but re-qualified in December (also Sac County) said the gun limit was 3. Only reason I asked was because I read a thread on here that Orange County no longer has a limit to the number of guns you can put on your CCW permit.

When I registered on Cordovas website last week for the recert it said three guns total, $10 for each gun over the first, bring (or buy at their shop) 30 rounds for each gun.

Today I called CSC to speak to live person (after seeing your reply), and they said Sac County still only allows 3, and there’s NO additional fee for the two additional guns (other than buying the ammo), and they didn’t know about the multiple calibers/slides on same frame-suggested I call the Sheriff office to confirm, or wait till day of class to ask instructor. *face palm*

A lot has changed in two years - and I’m thoroughly confused now since you say you just went through this training last week at CSC! I want 5 on mine! More the merrier..

Also, description of the re-qualify shoot totals 40 rounds per, if my math is correct?
The total is currently 3. They will be opening it up to 5 in the future but their is no hard date for it to be implemented. If you look at the range paperwork from CSC it have positions for 5 slots as does the website that you submit your paperwork on for the county. Some people are qualifying on five guns and submitting all of them. Then the Sheriff Dept tells them to pick 3 before issuance.

So as I said before $99 for all guns. One or all.

Also Yes on calibers. My previous permit had a glock 23 on it listed with three barrels. I qualified them at Cordova Shooting Center. CSC treated it as one gun but required me to qualify with each barrel (30 rounds).

Qualification is a total of 30 rounds at 15 yards at Cordova Shooting Center. Two ten round magazines (20 rounds) untimed rate of fire. Followed by a timed round of fire. Five rounds, reload, five more rounds in under 45 seconds(10 rounds). For a total of 30 rounds per gun.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Confirming 3, I just had my initial interview yesterday and that is what they said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
The total is currently 3. They will be opening it up to 5 in the future but their is no hard date for it to be implemented. If you look at the range paperwork from CSC it have positions for 5 slots as does the website that you submit your paperwork on for the county. Some people are qualifying on five guns and submitting all of them. Then the Sheriff Dept tells them to pick 3 before issuance.

Also Yes on calibers. My previous permit had a glock 23 on it listed with three barrels. I qualified them at Cordova Shooting Center. CSC treated it as one gun but required me to qualify with each barrel (30 rounds).

Qualification is a total of 30 rounds at 15 yards at Cordova Shooting Center. Two ten round magazines (20 rounds) untimed rate of fire. Followed by a timed round of fire. Five rounds, reload, five more rounds in under 45 seconds(10 rounds). For a total of 30 rounds per gun.

Great information ! Thank you Sapper! I think I’ll go ahead with listing 5 and go from there with Sheriff office.. couldn’t hurt in case it opens up in future..
Old 01-09-2018, 2:51 PM

Thanks for everyone’s input today re: SAFTA and CSC training.

About Sacto sheriff policy in number of guns and calibers, I also understand that 3 handguns is the policy. During interview, I specifically asked if one of the guns could use 2 calibers, and my interviewer (after checking with someone else of authority) said yes. So I have my G20 written in as 10 mm and 45 ACP. To me that means I can use the two complete slides, since you cannot put in a 45 barrel into g20 slide. Overall still 3 guns.
How the training agencies test you and charge you is a different matter. I’ll find out when I get there...to CSC
Old 01-11-2018, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

My approval for renewal came in today. About an hour ago.

My renewal timeline was.....
1/3/18 Renewal class
1/4/18 Submitted paperwork online
1/11/18 Recieved call and email notifying my permit is ready for pickup.

Picking up after lunch today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2018, 9:57 AM

Quote:
My approval for renewal came in today. About an hour ago.

My renewal timeline was.....
1/3/18 Renewal class
1/4/18 Submitted paperwork online
1/11/18 Recieved call and email notifying my permit is ready for pickup.

Picking up after lunch today.

Wow, 7 day turnaround at Sac Sheriffs office on renewals - excellent! Thanks for the update.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I qualified them at Cordova Shooting Center. CSC treated it as one gun but required me to qualify with each barrel (30 rounds).

Not to confuse anyone more but I submitted a weapons modification and did a qualification for 2 handguns 6 weeks ago at Cordova Shooting Center. It appears as if qualification parameters vary between RSO's. Mine had me fire 30 rounds at 15 yards untimed, any rate of fire. He then was diligent in determining my score by counting the target hits to make sure I scored a minimum of 250 out of 300. Still pretty simple, no draw from holster or timing and any hold.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Note to those thinking about Cordova: Ignore the part on their website that says to bring a holster for at least one of your guns. They do not even allow drawing from a holster and it is not part of the training/qualification. Save yourself some $$$ in case you were thinking you'd need to buy one if you don't already have one.
Old 01-11-2018, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS94901 View Post
Note to those thinking about Cordova: Ignore the part on their website that says to bring a holster for at least one of your guns. They do not even allow drawing from a holster and it is not part of the training/qualification. Save yourself some $$$ in case you were thinking you'd need to buy one if you don't already have one.

Thank you.. was going to call today to ask about that very thing.
Old 01-12-2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printrep View Post
Not to confuse anyone more but I submitted a weapons modification and did a qualification for 2 handguns 6 weeks ago at Cordova Shooting Center. It appears as if qualification parameters vary between RSO's. Mine had me fire 30 rounds at 15 yards untimed, any rate of fire. He then was diligent in determining my score by counting the target hits to make sure I scored a minimum of 250 out of 300. Still pretty simple, no draw from holster or timing and any hold.
Sac is taking modifications now?
Old 01-13-2018, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanejsl View Post
Sac is taking modifications now?
They told me they are taking modifications but giving new applications and renewals priority so I'd expect them to take much longer.
Old 01-13-2018, 6:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Great information ! Thank you Sapper! I think I’ll go ahead with listing 5 and go from there with Sheriff office.. couldn’t hurt in case it opens up in future..
A quick caveat:

Sac Sheriff told us they would move to 5 guns effective Jan 2017. Many of us got certified on 5 guns and submitted them, only to be told to pick 3 for issuance. They're still at 3 guns, and certs are only good for 6 months, so the time and expense of cert is lost (but aggravation was gained).

In Jun/Nov, there will be an election for a new Sheriff. No one knows how many guns will be allowed in the new administration. If it does open up, your certs may no longer be valid.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 02-01-2018 at 4:41 PM..
Old 01-13-2018, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post

In June, there will be an election for a new Sheriff. No one knows how many guns will be allowed in the new administration. If it does open up, your certs may no longer be valid.
A new Sheriff should be out main concern. We've been lucky enough to have Jones. If we get a turd replacing him we could be in real trouble.
Old 01-13-2018, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A quick caveat:

Sac Sheriff told us they would move to 5 guns effective Jan 2017. Many of us got certified on 5 guns and submitted them, only to be told to pick 3 for issuance. They're still at 3 guns, and certs are only good for 6 months, so the time and expense of cert is lost (but aggravation was gained).

In June, there will be an election for a new Sheriff. No one knows how many guns will be allowed in the new administration. If it does open up, your certs may no longer be valid.
Just an FYI. When I picked up my renewed permit on 1/11/18 I asked about the 5 pistols. The gentleman stated that the 5 guns per permit and the credit card sized permits were approved on a state level and will come "some time before your next renewal. We are just waiting on the equipment". When I pressed for details he said he assumed it would be in the next year.

Old 01-13-2018, 1:38 PM

Anyone here worried that the new sheriff might be anti-ccw?
Old 01-13-2018, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diinky View Post
Anyone here worried that the new sheriff might be anti-ccw?
Everyone here is. All we can do about it is vote and educate other voters.

Old 01-13-2018, 3:03 PM

Scott Jones endorses Kris Palmer
This is from Oct 2017
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...181060421.html
The article sounds very hopeful and the Dems immediately said they won't support him. Palmer is part of the team that considers CCW's so with the numbers going from 350 in 2010 to about 8000 in 2016, he may win the 'Peoples Choice Award'.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Palmer has decided not to run for "personal reasons" (that is what is in the article). Scott Jones is planning to run for a 3rd term rather than risk some of the outside influences.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article194939254.html
Old 01-16-2018, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

That is terrific. He will be the only local guy who I will donate to help reelection.

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 01-17-2018, 7:15 AM

I’ll take info on his election committee. Volunteered and Donated last time and will again
Old 01-17-2018, 8:25 AM

Additionally, support Anne Marie Shubert for DA.

She backed Sheriff Jones' position regarding release of the State Auditor's report, finding no reason to prosecute.

Her chief opponent is a carpetbagger from West Sacramento (Yolo County -- think "City of Davis" mentality), who supported prosecution of the Sheriff.
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article194529354.html

Election season is here.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Sacramento *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

Quote:

Hi all, just giving an update on my requal experience. Class was last night (5:30-9:30p) at CSC. Didn’t rain, cool. Just a bit cold and a little rough seeing down mag well of Shield to move that little lever with my glock punch to swap barrels - but it was an easy qualify - and a pleasure to deal with CSC, as usual. I took longest to shoot because most had just one or two guns to shoot, none with multiple calibers.

Now for the 5 gun thing - I brought 5, two of which would have had 2 calibers on same frame. I could have caught them after a long day, and they were rushing to help some of the students with mistakes on their forms, etc - but when I asked the instructor he said yes to the multiple calibers, and a ‘don’t bother’ on the 5 guns. There were 5 slots on form, as I recall from two years ago, but instructor told me flat out that I could shoot the 5 guns if I wanted to but the shooting qualification portion of cert must be within 30 days of Sheriff system entry - and since they will not be accepting 5 in their systems within 30 days from today, no use in going through it. Was kinda bummed, had about three min to pick my 3 cause filling out the cert forms/serial #’s and having others check them for any typos was first thing they needed done before running out to shoot/qualify. I just went with the slimmest/lightest three, one with two calibers.

The multiple calibers thing was something I didn’t know you could do before reading this thread, so I feel I still came out with more options than I would have had if it weren’t for the CG community (basically carried a 1911 the last two years strait anyway, so whateves!)

If your requal is coming up and were planning to take 5, I would just take them and give us an update.

I’ll submit my paperwork to Sheriff tonight and I’ll keep you all updated on when I get the call for pick up. Thanks to all for their input !!

PS- CSC is going to close down effective June 30th! It’s park land they are leasing, and their lease is up end of June - the park will not renew their lease this time around. Instructors are preparing to find other facilities to work for, but possible they can stay with CSC if they can find another location.

Bummer cause it is a good spot, and I prefer outdoor ranges, plus a great staff there. I wish them lots of luck and smooth transition to new, even better location for us to support.. !

Last edited by bgarbled; 01-18-2018 at 3:30 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
I had heard a few recently successfully submitted and received modifications so I emailed Amber and she said yes, you can submit but they are not a priority and will be handled as time permits. That being said, both modifications I heard of recently took 2 months to process.

I just processed my modification today so the wait begins...

Not sure if this note in red at top of Sac Sheriff CCW application/renewal web page is new as of Jan 1, or..?? Thought I’d share

*I also took a look at my initial CCW certification from 2016, and I stand corrected - the form had slots for only three weapons.. hoping I wasn’t “bamboozled” out of 5 on my permit last night just cause the instructor maybe wanted to spend less time out on the range or something.. 8(
Old 01-18-2018, 3:21 PM

Instructor information from the landing page of the Sac Sheriff CCW website (https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org...structors.aspx)
Quote:
Concealed Weapons Permit Instructor Information
Firearms Instructors must be DOJ Certified Instructors and include their certification number on their Training/Qualification Certificates. We do not accept an instructor’s personal POST ID# as proof of certification. DOJ accepts firearms training provided by POST, as well as a number of other agencies, but the instructor must be a DOJ Certified Instructor in order to teach CCW classes for Sacramento County.

Firearms Instructors can be certified by either the Bureau of Firearms (BOF) or the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS), California Department of Consumer Affairs. Instructors must provide their BSIS or BOF numbers on the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department’s Qualification Form (Automated SSD Range Slip) (Manual SSD Range Slip).

At this time the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department is only allowing THREE firearms to be listed on a CCW permit. Per statute that became law in January 2017 the California Department of Justice must convene a committee to develop a standardized CCW ID/Permit. It is unknown at this time whether that ID card will afford space to list firearms or not, so at this time the old CCW paper permit is still being utilized.

All training must be completed in the presence of a certified instructor. Self-study programs are not accepted, nor count toward the hourly training requirement.

The following weapon calibers will not be allowed on a Sacramento County CCW permit.

5.56 or .223
7.62 or .308
7.62x39 or the AK cartridge
5.7 x 28mm
30 carbine
Rifle caliber weapons (AR-Pistol, AK-Pistol, etc.)

Last edited by Dvrjon; 01-18-2018 at 3:24 PM..
Old 01-18-2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this note in red at top of Sac Sheriff CCW application/renewal web page is new as of Jan 1, or..?? Thought I’d share.
That note has been on the site for a couple of years. It was included in the new system site when it was launched.
Old 01-18-2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
That note has been on the site for a couple of years. It was included in the new system site when it was launched.

Thanks for clarifying, Dvrjon.. good news.
Old 01-19-2018, 8:17 AM

As a side note it appears as if Permitium software has been updated to where it now shows the files you've uploaded with your application (new permit, renewal, modification) when you log in to view your application status.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
As a side note it appears as if Permitium software has been updated to where it now shows the files you've uploaded with your application (new permit, renewal, modification) when you log in to view your application status.

Pretty slick, I must say.. I like the progress tracking, the ability to add additional documents, leave a v-message or comments for your application processor, and the area where an officer can leave messages regarding what they may need from you to approve, all on same status page.
Old 01-19-2018, 1:30 PM

So I applied last night and unfortunately the first appointment available wasn’t until June, oh well. Anyways, I know the proof of residency documentation has to be within 60 days. Since I used a SMUD bill and my cellphone bill, do I need to re-upload new ones that are current closer to the interview, or am I good as they were current from when I applied?
Old 01-19-2018, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb5550 View Post
So I applied last night and unfortunately the first appointment available wasn’t until June, oh well. Anyways, I know the proof of residency documentation has to be within 60 days. Since I used a SMUD bill and my cellphone bill, do I need to re-upload new ones that are current closer to the interview, or am I good as they were current from when I applied?
They'll let you know when to submit new residency verification. Probably right after your interview.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:04 AM

I have read all 109 pages of this post, so I hope I'm not being annoying by asking redundant questions. I applied 28 Aug, 2017. My initial appointment is for 21 Feb, 2018. I took the 16 hour course, and qual with 3 pistols on 8 Oct, 2017. If I have digested all the info in these posts correctly, "If" I am approved, my training must be within 180 days of approval. My training would expire on 8 Apr 2018 (180 days from 8 Oct, 2017). If I'm approved, that leaves me 46 days from my initial appointment, until my training expires on 8 Apr. Does the 180 day shelf life go backwards, as well a forward? I understand it may take longer than 46 days for the livescan, so if that's the case, I would have to train / qual again. If my livescan came back quickly (as I see the trend), would my training / qual work for the final issuance? Two days ago, Sac Sheriff sent me an email to upload two POR, and my driver's license. I did that, but I was not sure it posted on the permitium site. I emailed ccw@sheriff.com, they responded quickly to say "yes, we received your new documents". Also, suddenly, all my uploads appeared on my permitium tracker, the complete list. That is encouraging, but my question is, should I take the training / qual again to make sure my certs don't lapse? I'm the type who would like to get things done ahead of time, and I'm not going to cry if I'm not approved at all (I don't see that happening, I've been a good boy all these years, retired Navy with S clearance). What do you guys think? I want to go to Cordova SC if I have to do this again, I could do that next weekend, I've read that they have to close because of the lease expiring in June. I know, I'm a PIA, but thanks for any inputs you can offer.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer1 View Post
I have read all 109 pages of this post, so I hope I'm not being annoying by asking redundant questions. I applied 28 Aug, 2017. My initial appointment is for 21 Feb, 2018. I took the 16 hour course, and qual with 3 pistols on 8 Oct, 2017. If I have digested all the info in these posts correctly, "If" I am approved, my training must be within 180 days of approval. My training would expire on 8 Apr 2018 (180 days from 8 Oct, 2017). If I'm approved, that leaves me 46 days from my initial appointment, until my training expires on 8 Apr. Does the 180 day shelf life go backwards, as well a forward? I understand it may take longer than 46 days for the livescan, so if that's the case, I would have to train / qual again. If my livescan came back quickly (as I see the trend), would my training / qual work for the final issuance? Two days ago, Sac Sheriff sent me an email to upload two POR, and my driver's license. I did that, but I was not sure it posted on the permitium site. I emailed ccw@sheriff.com, they responded quickly to say "yes, we received your new documents". Also, suddenly, all my uploads appeared on my permitium tracker, the complete list. That is encouraging, but my question is, should I take the training / qual again to make sure my certs don't lapse? I'm the type who would like to get things done ahead of time, and I'm not going to cry if I'm not approved at all (I don't see that happening, I've been a good boy all these years, retired Navy with S clearance). What do you guys think? I want to go to Cordova SC if I have to do this again, I could do that next weekend, I've read that they have to close because of the lease expiring in June. I know, I'm a PIA, but thanks for any inputs you can offer.
Don't do the training until after your interview (ideally not until they approve you). It may still be several months until after the interview until you hear back. Doing it now, or even in April, may mean you will need to do it a third time to make sure you are still within the 180 day window.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:36 AM

At this point, redoing what you've done seems counterproductive. You'll just spin your wheels.

See if the system will accept your training certs upload at this point. If they do, then you at least have them in system. If not, you've lost nothing trying.

See if the system will allow you to reschedule to an earlier date, as other applicants will cancel. That can advance the process.

At your initial interview, ask if the certs will be good based on application date or approval date. If they say you're GTG, then go.

Good luck, enjoy, don't over think this stuff.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Thanks CooterShooter, that makes sense. So the 180 window runs forward and backward, but smarter to wait until you are approved. I get that. I called out there to Cordova Shooting Center. The agent I spoke to acted very strange when I asked him if their facility might have to give up their lease at the end of June. He would not answer, not a yes or no, or I don't know, but just said how can I help you? It was odd, so I took the hint, and moved on to my question about how the range qual would go. It seems they are too nervous to even answer any questions about how long they can remain in business at that location.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 AM

OK, yes, I'm too anxious I will admit that I got excited when they asked for new documents. I think I over think almost everything (hehe). I'll calm down and "Keep my shirt on".
Old 01-20-2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
OK, yes, I'm too anxious I will admit that I got excited when they asked for new documents. I think I over think almost everything (hehe). I'll calm down and "Keep my shirt on".
"...retired Navy with S clearance", so you understand, "Hurry up and wait."

Last edited by Dvrjon; 01-20-2018 at 1:15 PM..
Old 01-20-2018, 1:34 PM

Ok you got me there Dvrjon, guilty. I guess I'm getting a charge out of thinking I'm this close to it (if at all). How's the parking down there at Hurley Way? The satellite image does not look too promising, only a few spots around the building (I can imagine those go to the staff there). I did notice a shopping center about a block down.
Old 01-20-2018, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Ok you got me there Dvrjon, guilty. I guess I'm getting a charge out of thinking I'm this close to it (if at all). How's the parking down there at Hurley Way? The satellite image does not look too promising, only a few spots around the building (I can imagine those go to the staff there). I did notice a shopping center about a block down.
Staff park in back. I haven't had a problem with parking an F-150 in the front lot the three times I've been there.
Old 01-20-2018, 5:10 PM

10 to 12 in front. No problem. Don't overthink it. Plenty of parking because of how quickly they move things along.