Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-01-2013, 6:43 PM

Great news got my DOJ clearance this past Friday. Now looking for a well reputable ccw class. I'm think of one by my house. he said he's class is more of a "TAC one training" class. I don't know if all the rest are the same or not? If not maybe that might be beneficial..

Sig P220 Combat
Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry
Sig P938 Nightmare
Sig P238 Rosewood
SpringFeild XD 9mm Sub Compact
Browning X-Bolt 308 WIN Carbon fiber/White Gold medallion

Last edited by sig916; 07-01-2013 at 10:43 PM..
Old 07-06-2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig916 View Post
Great news got my DOJ clearance this past Friday. Now looking for a well reputable ccw class. I'm think of one by my house. he said he's class is more of a "TAC one training" class. I don't know if all the rest are the same or not? If not maybe that might be beneficial..
Wesley Lagomarsino & Joseph Truesdale! http://www.oneononefirearms.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-24-2013, 9:10 AM

Aahhhhh finally, the journey is complete. I received my Sacramento County concealed carry weapons permit "in person" this morning at the sheriffs office! Ironically I was waiting for the pomp and circumstance then It hit me this is CONCEALED CARRY dummy lol but it does feel amazing to exercise my 2nd amendment right Legally. Time to Wally-walk!

Old 08-21-2013, 7:15 AM

Greetings from Indiana. Nice forum you have here, thanks to SI instructor Dave Sauer for pointing me to it.

I'm being recruited for a position in Sacramento & I'm trying to learn the true lay of the land before the offer comes to the table. If anyone has any pointers or shortcuts to bring me up to speed, it will be sincerely appreciated.

I'll go back to reading now.

Last edited by Gun Mutt; 08-21-2013 at 7:16 AM.. Reason: grammer...on my first post, too!
Old 10-17-2013, 9:42 PM

Oh how I wish I was leaving a post of how happy I am to have received my approval letter but instead I was denied. Help?!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCruz View Post
Oh how I wish I was leaving a post of how happy I am to have received my approval letter but instead I was denied. Help?!
Give me a call at my office. (916)444-9845 NEW NUMBER (916)399-3486. Do an intake with the receptionist and they will put you through to me. If I am not in when you call, just leave a VM.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

Last edited by ohsmily; 05-26-2017 at 8:44 AM..
Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that bud.. What was the reason for your denialed?

Sig P220 Combat
Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry
Sig P938 Nightmare
Sig P238 Rosewood
Old 10-17-2013, 10:58 PM

Use of poor judgement in the past & for being arrested for carrying a concealed & loaded firearm in my vehicle back in 2003. It was a misdemeanor, at the time I worked for a bail bonds company and made the mistake of not carrying it correctly in my vehicle. I wish I could make like Marty McFly & jump in the Delorean and change that mistake.

Ohsmily - I will definitely reach out to you tomorrow, thanks.
Old 10-21-2013, 1:49 PM

I had my initial appointment in Sacramento the first week of September. I just received my notice in the mail and I have been denied. The only explanation given in the letter is:

"Due to descrepancies revealed during the background process, the sheriff does not find you to be a good candidate to be a recipient of a Concealed Weapons Permit."

I have no idea what "discrepancies" they may think they found, and there is no additional information in the letter.

I have one VERY minor conviction in about 1974, which I did disclose and we discussed during the interview. I have one arrest for a minor charge (failure to comply with a lawful order), but that was dismissed by the District Attorney, as it should have been. This was also disclosed and discussed during my interview.

Can anyone give me advice on how to proceed with this? I absolutely do want to appeal, but the letter says the appeal process is in writing only and I have no idea what written material to submit since they gave me no information about what the problem is.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 PM

Dagwood,
Might I suggest to try to provide all documents you have pertaining to your convictions. Explain to them in detail why/how it happened and what you learned from it. I suspect the "Minor" 1974 conviction is not what they are concerned about, because it being so long ago and it being "Minor".

To back up what you learned, have written reference letters from your professional colleagues. Some examples would be your direct work supervisor, any family or friends that has a creditable position (ie: LEO)
Letting the Sheriff know of your character and create an honest picture of yourself and your intentions to carry.

These are some of my thoughts, I hope this helps.

Good Luck
Old 10-27-2013, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Use of poor judgement in the past & for being arrested for carrying a concealed & loaded firearm in my vehicle back in 2003. It was a misdemeanor, at the time I worked for a bail bonds company and made the mistake of not carrying it correctly in my vehicle. I wish I could make like Marty McFly & jump in the Delorean and change that mistake.

Ohsmily - I will definitely reach out to you tomorrow, thanks.
Awe nah sorry hear that bro!

Old 11-11-2013, 1:02 PM

Got Denied for A DUI 5 years ago when I was young and dumb. Any attorneys out there have any advice for me? Any response would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2013, 3:24 PM

Dhiney, most likely the Sheriff thought 5 yrs wasn't too far in the past. I know of people who have been issued with a dui from 10 + years in the past with an otherwise "spotless" record.

You are probably going to have to wait a few more years and apply again.
Old 12-02-2013, 4:14 PM

My wife just got her denailed letter.

" Due to your 2007 conviction PC 272, the sheriff does not find your to be a good candidate to be the recipient of a CCW"

Long story short; she furnished alcohol to minor back in 07 where she worked (pizza place) the cashier rung up the undercover and told her to serve them so she thought they were already ID..

Can this be appeal?

Sig P220 Combat
Sig 1911 Nightmare Carry
Sig P938 Nightmare
Sig P238 Rosewood
Old 01-13-2014, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Clearly, you're wife is a monster and a threat to us all. Thank god our dear sheriff has made this courageous decision to protect us all from the river of blood that would surely result from someone legally carrying a gun who could do something so despicable as give a pitcher of beer to some kids. The horror.

Sorry man. Appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig916 View Post
My wife just got her denailed letter.

" Due to your 2007 conviction PC 272, the sheriff does not find your to be a good candidate to be the recipient of a CCW"

Long story short; she furnished alcohol to minor back in 07 where she worked (pizza place) the cashier rung up the undercover and told her to serve them so she thought they were already ID..

Can this be appeal?

Deer Hunting Rifles? "Let's get rid of those too" - Adam Keigwin, Chief of Staff for Senator Leland Yee
Old 01-15-2014, 7:26 AM

Do you think the recent Calguns win will help us in the tougher counties?
Old 02-27-2014, 4:11 AM

Default 1203.4 and CCW?

Anyone have any info with applying for a CCW with a successful 1203.4?
Old 02-27-2014, 7:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95819 View Post
Anyone have any info with applying for a CCW with a successful 1203.4?
what you were originally convicted of and the conduct underlying that conviction will be far more relevant to the sheriff than your relief pursuant to 1203.4.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 05-12-2014, 4:28 PM

whats the cost of actually getting the ccw? initial app. any classes ,etc does there have to be a justified reason to carry other than I want to exercise my right?
Old 05-12-2014, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kays View Post
whats the cost of actually getting the ccw? initial app. any classes ,etc does there have to be a justified reason to carry other than I want to exercise my right?
Been a few years, but IIRC:

$20 for initial appt
$100-120 for livescan (been a while forget the actual cost)
$150-300 for 16 hr course depending on where and how many handguns you qual with (+ cost of ammo)
$80 for final appt
Old 05-12-2014, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

Wrong thread.
Old 05-13-2014, 5:23 PM

I am currently going through the process down here in Ventura County. It's I'm about 2 1/2 months into the process and waiting for a call to interview. Interesting to browse these forums and see what other law abiding Californians are having to go through. Glad to know there's more like me all across this state... waiting... waiting... waiting. Good luck you guys!
Old 05-16-2014, 9:36 PM

I was denied today. Stating that I do not meet the good moral character qualifications. Whatever that means. I guess having a clean driving record and personal record aren't good enough. I am going to appeal. But not 100% sure on to go about it. Any thoughts or ideas more then welcome.
Old 05-16-2014, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsk228 View Post
I was denied today. Stating that I do not meet the good moral character qualifications. Whatever that means. I guess having a clean driving record and personal record aren't good enough. I am going to appeal. But not 100% sure on to go about it. Any thoughts or ideas more then welcome.
Give me a call at my office on Monday. I have represented about 20 people on appeal thus far.
(916)444-9845. NEW NUMBER (916)399-3486 Adam Richards

Last edited by ohsmily; 05-26-2017 at 8:44 AM..
Old 05-17-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Give me a call at my office on Monday. I have represented about 20 people on appeal thus far.
(916)444-9845. Adam Richards
Yes Sir! Will do.
Old 07-06-2014, 1:25 AM

Default denied!

Glad to find this thread.... But sad I just got a denial letter for my ccw at the sac county sheriff.

The reasoning was very unclear, said I was denied for not meeting the requirements for "good moral character".

History:
I have one arrest from 7 years ago for a drunk in public. Other than that my other charge was when I was 17 (now 29) and it was expunged. I don't know its charge but held in an overnight holding facility because I got in a fight with my pops and he called the cops on me. I was totally honest when they interviewed me and told them years ago I have a I had a prescription for MJ because I broke my neck among other things in a bad car accident but the prescription expired over 4 years ago and I haven't touched any drugs since even before that. I have read alot about MJ scripts and CCW possibly clashing but nothing about people who USED to have them however haven't for years. Any advice?

Should I start the appeal process on my own? Not sure how to prove im a good moral character....
Old 07-06-2014, 5:47 AM
Calguns Addict

It has been my experience that Sac Sheriff has an unwritten policy to deny anyone who, within the last 5 years, has used drugs (mj included) or has alcohol related convictions. You had an rx so they really shouldn't be using the mj against you. You may have a chance on appeal. Give me a call. You willl have to decide if it is worth hiring counsel to assist you or if you want to go it on your own...yours is not a slam dunk appeal.

Last edited by ohsmily; 07-06-2014 at 6:44 AM..
Old 07-06-2014, 9:58 AM

I can understand that to an extent, however I was never convicted of any drug or alcohol charges. I got that drunk in public over 5 years ago and however there was no court or sentencing of any kind. I just looked up my RX and it expired 8-31-2011. I have not used MJ however since before that.

Last edited by DJNotNice; 07-06-2014 at 10:09 AM..
Old 07-07-2014, 3:13 PM

Default Denied

I was as of Saturday myself denied. I myself had a pc 204 ticket issued seven years ago but it was a bogus charge and the person dropped it a few days after, other than that I have both a clean vehicle and criminal record. I have had a guard card for my pervious job as well as a exposed firearms permit both received without question. But as of right now I am denied due to "good moral character'. I am trying to contact the department to find out more specifics of the denial. Just trying to figure out my next step.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 AM

Yea same deal with me, clean record aside from 1 arrest 7 years ago and a handful of window tint tickets when i was a teenager. Nothing to justify not meeting the requirements of "good moral character" let me know if you get any answer from the sheriff. I called and left a message on Saturday and have heard nothing back. There is a lawsuit in an other state about this regarding these rejections with with out clear reason.

Here's the article

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-state-police
Old 07-10-2014, 11:00 AM

I have my initial appointment with the Sac Sherrif's office on Aug. 26. I believe I still need to give some "reasoning" as to why I want a CCW. I'd appreciate any thoughts on how much you have to say in response to this query. If anyone has received a CCW in Sacramento County, I'd be curious to know about your response to the question regarding "why" you desire a CCW. It's both a very vague question, but also a "loaded" question, no pun intended.

Thanks, Opus109

Glock 27 - CCW
Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 AM

just say you want the permit so you can protect yourself and your family,that is pretty much standard and they accept it. They may reject your for a bs reason still like " not meeting qualifications of "good moral character"...which is a total bs excuse for not giving out a ccw. Hope you dont have any drug or alcohol arrest in the last 5 years cause that's instant rejection. I have 1 arrest 7 years ago for drunk in public and i just got denied.

good luck a bunch of people are getting denied recently.
Old 07-17-2014, 5:47 PM

Disclose any records you have even if it's a decade old.
Old 07-17-2014, 9:44 PM

I did, I am compiling letters from 6 people that appeal to my "good moral character" for my appeal....we shall see how that goes. I dont see how they can deny me with a PHD in psychology, an MD, a trial lawyer, several software engineers I work with and my and my PHD wife all vogueing for my character..... Think its super Ironic that the government(of all entities) judges me as being a bad person after looking at a record that has 1 arrest 7 years ago declaring me not allowed to carry a concealed weapon to protect my family.
Old 08-04-2014, 5:57 PM

Obviously DUI's will get you denied. Does a "wet and reckless" fall under the same category?
Old 08-04-2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nag556 View Post
Obviously DUI's will get you denied. Does a "wet and reckless" fall under the same category?
If it was recent, probably.
Old 08-04-2014, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nag556 View Post
Sac Sheriff has an unwritten policy of denying CCWs for applicants who, within the last 5 years, have alcohol or drug related convictions or admitted illegal drug use. A "wet reckless" is alcohol related reckless driving pursuant to VC 23103/23103.5. You will be denied.

Last edited by ohsmily; 08-04-2014 at 6:15 PM..
Old 08-14-2014, 6:42 PM

Well I just got denied after I appealed. The only reasoning was" the sheriff does not find you to be a good candidate too be the recipient for a concealed weapons permit " thats it.....REALLY!? The original reason for denial was " does not meet the qualifications for being a good moral character". So my appeal was 7 letters from different respectable people from different walks of like speaking to my good moral character. Then they send me a super generic letter like this with literally NO reasoning???? This is freaking ridiculous. This is a total violation of my rights. I have NO record, no drug charges and have done nothing to be denied this!
Old 08-17-2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNotNice View Post
Well I just got denied after I appealed. The only reasoning was" the sheriff does not find you to be a good candidate too be the recipient for a concealed weapons permit " thats it.....REALLY!? The original reason for denial was " does not meet the qualifications for being a good moral character". So my appeal was 7 letters from different respectable people from different walks of like speaking to my good moral character. Then they send me a super generic letter like this with literally NO reasoning???? This is freaking ridiculous. This is a total violation of my rights. I have NO record, no drug charges and have done nothing to be denied this!
Didn't you say you have a drunk in public arrest?
Old 08-17-2014, 5:45 PM

I had one for a drunk tank almost 8 years ago now. I was 21 at the time, It seem utterly irrelevant to my "good moral character" of who I am today. My appeal spoke of my good character from 7 different people accounts and I don't think the sheriff could use that reason anymore so they basically just said no with no reasoning to back it up.