Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

Default Adjustable Cheek Pieces - thoughts? McMillan/Manners?

Looking to upgrade my stock on my Tikka T3X CTR. Currently running a Vortex Razor Gen 2 with Vortex/Seekins Medium (1.10") rings. No issues with cheek weld on the factory setup just when looking at aftermarket stocks, particularly with Manners and McMillan, trying to factor in cost/benefit ratio (yes I nerd out sometimes...).

Anyways, the options I'm coming across are:
Manners MCS T4 - http://mannersstocks.com/tikka-t3-sako-q22/
McMillan (different options) https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-tactical-tikka-t3/

Quick question on McMillan....I'm looking at the prices for full inletting and it starts at $550ish and the link I posted above are listing close to $800-900. Any can explain the sudden jump? LOL

Anyhow, my main focus is on adjustable cheek pieces. Anyone have experience with the McMillan cheek pieces (integral vs. clamp?). Also your experiences with the aftermarket kydex option? I've contacted Manners on the MCS T4 stock, which is specifically made to run the factory bottom metal and they do not offer that stock with an adjustable cheek. Hence why I'm inquiring about the kydex cheek pieces.

Please let me know your thoughts. I probably do not need the cheek riser since I'm okay right now with the factory stock.

Thanks,
V

Old 06-19-2017, 3:50 PM

I have always used McMillan and then add the KMW Loggerhead hardware. I like it more than McMillan's. Manners comes with the KMW stuff already.
Old 06-19-2017, 8:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

McMillan adjustable cheek hardware all suck.
Order it inletted without hardware and install the KMW hardware.
The kydex bolt-on ones make the stock too wide for a proper cheekweld.
The kmw hardware allows you to offset the cheekpiece if necessary.

Not being able to get a manners stock with adjustable cheekpiece for your action is reason enough to switch to a Remington 700 style action.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 06-19-2017 at 8:16 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 8:53 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels;20258800
Not being able to get a manners stock with adjustable cheekpiece for your action is r[B
eason enough to switch to a Remington 700 style action[/B].
Thanks Randal...staying true to form with the R700 recommendations LOL

The KMW hardware comes highly recommended upon searching the web. I'll ask McMillan if they can do cheek pieces without any hardware. I imagine the KMW hardware will need gunsmithing to install...not something bubba could do?

Old 06-20-2017, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
Thanks Randal...staying true to form with the R700 recommendations LOL

The KMW hardware comes highly recommended upon searching the web. I'll ask McMillan if they can do cheek pieces without any hardware. I imagine the KMW hardware will need gunsmithing to install...not something bubba could do?
No need to ask if they CAN do it. They can and they do. When you order your stock, tell them you want it inlet for the KMW cheekpiece hardware. The installation of the hardware will require routing of the underside of the cheekpiece, drilling of the stock for the clamp bolt, and bedding compound. You can do it yourself, but having someone else do it is a lot easier lol.

I'd recommend Stock Doc (Joe Ducos) He did nice work on mine and many others. Quick turnaround.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

I currently have a Kydex cheek riser, but have been tempted to send my stock to Stock Doc (Joe Ducos).

Here's an archived thread on the topic: http://www.theinsidershoops.scout.co...e?s=541&page=1

Also, just an FYI - the kit will add ~1.25 lbs to the stock.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM

And there is Stock Doc

Guess he can install Terry's hardware all included for $ 250.00 something - on any stock !
Old 06-20-2017, 9:37 PM
CGN Contributor

Spoke to McMillan and they will inlet for KMW hardware. Now just need to continue saving up and deciding what style stock I want.

Old 06-20-2017, 9:51 PM

Have you looked at the KRG chassis? I live my manners stock by the way, but test like the KRG stuff

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
Have you looked at the KRG chassis? I live my manners stock by the way, but test like the KRG stuff

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Yes I've looked at chassis for the Tikka and the KRG is very popular. However chassis stocks are not my thing, still prefer the classic lines of a monte carlo or Anschutz style stock. Makes me old school I guess since popular trend is to go full chassis (RPR, Savage 10BA, or even Tikka T3X A1) . To each his own...

Old 06-21-2017, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_land View Post
Yes I've looked at chassis for the Tikka and the KRG is very popular. However chassis stocks are not my thing, still prefer the classic lines of a monte carlo or Anschutz style stock. Makes me old school I guess since popular trend is to go full chassis (RPR, Savage 10BA, or even Tikka T3X A1) . To each his own...

My Manners has a Cheek weld, did you ask them if they can add it in, it's about $250 dollar option, It was for me, but we had a 40% discount from SHOT.
you can always buy a $20 cheek riser from Blackhawk. It works just fine is easily removed.