Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2017, 10:26 PM

Default guns fishing & stuff training classes

Wanting to start some pistol training classes, was wondering about GF&Stuff in Dublin. Read the mostly poor reviews on their store, hoping for input on their training classes.
one in particular, the Ca. CCW Course 2 day class $375. on the flip side of the flyer the equipment requirements/ recommendations
No leather holster
twin mag belt carrier
ELECTRONIC Ear protection. (must be electronic?)
Clear Wrap around eye protection. (prescription glasses not enough?)
Is all this absolutely necessary. From what I hear of their prices I don't think I would want to purchase there.
Any input would be helpful and appreciated
Mr. McBailey
Old 01-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Calguns Addict

With training it is more dependent on who rather than where. First thing is find out who is doing the class, and find out about that person.

I don't know where you are, I've heard some good things about Delta tactical training in Antioch. I have no personal experience with them though.
Old 01-15-2017, 2:48 AM

Agree with it's not about where the class is, but the who conducts it.

The gear requirements are on the more specific side, but not unheard of-- they're strongly resemble a more lax version of what they require at Front Sight. I was just there today and noticed 'defensive accuracy' is the school conducting most of the posted classes.

I've heard many many 'meh' comments about the school, but have never specifically taken one from them (but have taken the same standardized courses elsewhere). They're a widely heard name but not the great-- just prominent. However, if that school is one of the few on the short list of ca CCW approved schools, do what you gotta do

Stay safe and stay legal. You can't protect your family from within a prison cell.

NRA Certified Instructor. Feel free to ping me about ad-hoc instruction and coaching.
Old 01-15-2017, 4:16 PM

I took a CCW course at that store that I liked a lot. It was taught by Defensive Accuracy.
Old 02-18-2017, 2:06 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

I think you could do a lot better than going there to find the course. There are a lot of good vendors on here that are for those kind of training
Old 02-18-2017, 6:24 PM

Most importantly, don't limit yourself to just one school. Try multiple classes from different instructors and you decide what works best for your situation.

[B]Defensive Scenarios[May 8]: https://threatscenarios.com/classes/...ive-scenarios/
Testimonials: https://threatscenarios.com/testimonials/
FB: https://www.facebook.com/ThreatScenarios
Old 02-18-2017, 6:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Suggestions when vetting an instructor and/or class:

1. How long have they been teaching? A few years may be good, but more isn't necessarily better. Someone who has been teaching the same thing for the past thirty years may not be what you're looking for.
2. Ask what's their training and background. A 3-gun grand master may not be a good source for room clearing techniques.
3. Ask how frequently do they train themselves, and what classes did they take in the last three years? In my opinion instructors should all be students and continually learning themselves. If they aren't, then refer to #1.
4. Given the above, you may want to ask the instructor how their training and experience makes them qualified to teach the course you're interested in. Anyone can teach off a syllabus (which is what all NRA certified classes are), but the real value comes from when a student asks a question or has a problem that the instructor has to address.
5. Any reviews of the class or instructor? Student reviews can be useful, but just because 100 people like chocolate doesn't mean you will too.
6. And finally, as ThreatScenarios says sometimes you have to try different instructors to see which ones you like. Unfortunately that can be hit or miss which gets expensive. Hopefully some of the pointers above will make it more an educated guess rather than blind picking.
Old 03-03-2017, 9:18 PM

Took the CCW class from Defense Accuracy fall of 2016. Really enjoyed the class. Very informative and they will help you with your CCW application. Call and talk to the instructor. The electronic ear protectors protect your ears but allow you to hear the instructor speaking, good investment
Old 04-14-2017, 3:22 PM

I've taken a few of the Defensive Accuracy courses there recently. They were all pretty good. They are pretty strict on the safety, which I appreciate and all the instructors I've had experience with were great. I've at least learned something new each time.