Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-21-2017, 9:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc16 View Post
according to the info you have provided it is .20 percent of a mile. I would draw a map of the land and grid it out with a metal detector until you find the gun
Oh great! We get to watch another version of the epic 'Gravedigger' thread unfold!!!!

Bring it!! Get to work condor - and plenty of photos of holes, trenches, and ghost stories please.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Calguns Super Secret Zombie Dig !!!

Quote:
First thing I would do is jump to a conclusion without all the facts.
Old 05-21-2017, 5:20 PM

Nice find! It's amazing it hasn't rusted away. So, now off to the legal threads to find out how to legally keep it?

BTW even if the serial number had been removed, if you were willing to jump through enough hoops you could get a new one and keep the gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My Father-in-law was retired AF. The story goes that while in SoCal he buried an M1 with the parts to make it go full auto along with 2x30rnd banana clips taped back to back packed in cosmoline in a PVC tube with the ends capped off with mek. The problem is he passed away before telling anyone where he buried it. I've often thought about taking a metal detector up there, and working some of the likely areas around the old house. It's a 150 acres of dirt....
Don't forget you need at least two psychics.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

I'm selling something!
Old 05-21-2017, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Dang only gun I ever found in the wall of an old house was a Chrome H&R breaktop revolver covered in 60 years of rust.

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?
Old 05-21-2017, 8:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wonder what crime it was involved in that required it to be hidden.
Old 05-22-2017, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

i just bought a old house. maybe time to start "remodeling" the place.
if only i could be so lucky.
Old 05-23-2017, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint67 View Post
You know I wonder if this happens more often than we hear as most people use contractors / amigo network.

Could easily see them just pocketing it.
My buddy scored two decent .22 rifles locally this way. He bought a house to flip it, it was an auction house where the owner moved into an assisted living place. We tracked down the guy in assisted living after we found the rifles under the house wrapped up in a footing. The guy said there was a rash of burglaries in the 70's so he hid his guns and forgot about them. He had no family and said to keep em. One was a Remington 521 JT, amazing gun that cleaned up ok. the other was an octagon barrel pump .22, super rusted out.
Old 05-23-2017, 8:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
My buddy scored two decent .22 rifles locally this way. He bought a house to flip it, it was an auction house where the owner moved into an assisted living place. We tracked down the guy in assisted living after we found the rifles under the house wrapped up in a footing. The guy said there was a rash of burglaries in the 70's so he hid his guns and forgot about them. He had no family and said to keep em. One was a Remington 521 JT, amazing gun that cleaned up ok. the other was an octagon barrel pump .22, super rusted out.
When my uncle went into a nursing home selling his house fell to me. First I invited his (adult) grand children over who scowered the house and took everything they wanted. Then I let his neighbors do the same. I had already searched the house and found no firearms.The whole time I was watching the door to see what people took.

After everyone took what they wanted we called 1800 got junk who hauled away everything else.

Listed and sold the house. The night before escrow closed I'm sitting with my Uncle telling him escrow was closing in the morning and that he was netting 100 X what he paid for the house after WWII.

He leans over to me and says "You did get my guns?"

"WHAT, I DIDN'T SEE ANY GUNS"

He just laughed. Then instructed me to go into the hall coat closet, put a hand each coathook and twist them till they faced each other. After that give them a pull.

I drove clear across LA to his house that night got there about 1 AM. All the time thinking my Uncles Alzheimer was paying a cruel trick on me.

Followed his instructions to discover the entire back wall of the closet was a false front, secured by a hand crafted wood and cable mechanical three point latch, behind which was a H&R 12 Gauge and a Sears Nylon 22.

Uncle gave that 12 Gauge to my eldest son and gave me the 22 which I still have today.

Haters got to hate. Winnin again. Go Trump

Why is it the guys who really know how to fix this country's problems spend all their time fixing old cars?
Old 05-23-2017, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
Much respect for seeking out the previous owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
When my uncle went into a nursing home selling his house fell to me. First I invited his (adult) grand children over who scowered the house and took everything they wanted. Then I let his neighbors do the same. I had already searched the house and found no firearms.The whole time I was watching the door to see what people took.

After everyone took what they wanted we called 1800 got junk who hauled away everything else.

Listed and sold the house. The night before escrow closed I'm sitting with my Uncle telling him escrow was closing in the morning and that he was netting 100 X what he paid for the house after WWII.

He leans over to me and says "You did get my guns?"

"WHAT, I DIDN'T SEE ANY GUNS"

He just laughed. Then instructed me to go into the hall coat closet, put a hand each coathook and twist them till they faced each other. After that give them a pull.

I drove clear across LA to his house that night got there about 1 AM. All the time thinking my Uncles Alzheimer was paying a cruel trick on me.

Followed his instructions to discover the entire back wall of the closet was a false front, secured by a hand crafted wood and cable mechanical three point latch, behind which was a H&R 12 Gauge and a Sears Nylon 22.

Uncle gave that 12 Gauge to my eldest son and gave me the 22 which I still have today.
Your Uncle sounds awesome, thats some hidden treasure story
Old 05-23-2017, 9:51 AM

nice score OP

found a few boxes of 12ga ammo in the garage of this house when we bought it..

my folks found this 1890 pump in an apartment closet in the 60's..

no collector value, takedown halves are different years 1900/1911

'.22 long' marked [and chambered] barrel and .22 short feeder.. popped lots of bullfrogs with it, mmHmmm!

common gallery guns, probably separated during batch cleaning or kitbashing to make a usable gun from parts..

Old 05-23-2017, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

The Russians put it there (they're getting blamed for everything else - why not one more?)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 05-23-2017, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I wonder what crime it was involved in that required it to be hidden.
Acquired new gun without CFO (wife) approval.