Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2013, 6:32 AM

I also applaud you for your honesty and integrity. Good luck with your career choice.
Old 10-05-2013, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpro916 View Post
I couldn't lie. I'm applying for law enforcement positions and I'm already on record as admitting to doing it in college.
Dude youre joking right?! I turned mine in and waiting to hear back to see if I am accepted or not. This is a huge disappointment. I am on the same boat w pot and college and lay enforcement. I have a family friend that deals w applications and he was telling me that 80% of ppl that apply have the same thing that you (we) do and that their pass rate is 90%. So, I am curious. Is there anything else that could have altered your app? And what was the denial reason if you dont mind. did it say cause of the pot?
Old 10-06-2013, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc View Post
When i answered no that i had never smoked weed they began asking follow up questions like really not even in Hs and when i said no cause i played sports they asked about steroid usage...so yes being a clean person and stating no can cause the detectives to be suspicious....congratulations Op on your reversal and obtaining your ccw
Thanks! Yeah he kind of did the same thing to me. I'm a competitive powerlifter and he asked my like three times in a row if I ever tried steroids lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250x View Post
I applaud you for your honesty and integrity and I am glad you finally got your CCW.

A lot of people do what they can to manipulate the system in their favor. You stuck to your morals and were ultimately rewarded in the end. I wish you the best in the LE field. Good luck
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 10-06-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMalmy View Post
Dude youre joking right?! I turned mine in and waiting to hear back to see if I am accepted or not. This is a huge disappointment. I am on the same boat w pot and college and lay enforcement. I have a family friend that deals w applications and he was telling me that 80% of ppl that apply have the same thing that you (we) do and that their pass rate is 90%. So, I am curious. Is there anything else that could have altered your app? And what was the denial reason if you dont mind. did it say cause of the pot?
The exact denial reason was "recent admitted marijuana use." Recent being 2008. If that is why you get denied, PM me and I can go over what I said in my appeal letter. I was very straight forward and professional when I stated my case. In less than a week I got an email saying my appeal was approved.

They just want to make it hard. I think if they find a reason to deny someone, they are hoping they give up and decide not to fight it.

Edit: 2008 not 2013
Old 10-21-2013, 1:46 PM

How about traffic tickets? Does anyone know if you get denied for traffic tickets like speeding and run stop sign.

Last edited by tlor; 10-24-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Old 10-22-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlor View Post
How about traffic tickets? Does anyone know if you get denied forbtraffic ticket like speeding and run stopsign.
Depends on how many and how recent. I had 2 speeding tickets within 3 years and still was accepted. Now if you have something like 4 tickets in 1 year and multiple points on your record, you may get denied.
Old 10-31-2013, 8:41 AM

Didn't know they issue ccw in Sacramento LOL
Old 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkno View Post
Didn't know they issue ccw in Sacramento LOL
What rock have you been hiding under? Sac County has effectively been shall issue for several years now thanks to a CGF lawsuit.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 10-31-2013, 1:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggs View Post
Hell I know of a guy who now lives in the White House in Washington D.C. He smoked and sold.
hahaha
Old 11-01-2013, 8:49 AM

I was approved in EDC. I'm fairly young. I admitted to using it in High School. I now would never touch the stuff now or knowingly associate myself with those that do.

My interviewing detective looked at my application in front of me... "address in ....., tried pot in high school, work in sac, clean driving record... O.K. I see no reason you shouldn't be approved lets see your guns so I can check the SN's and you'll be out of here."

I would appeal it.
Old 11-03-2013, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
What rock have you been hiding under? Sac County has effectively been shall issue for several years now thanks to a CGF lawsuit.

That's actually a great news to me! I recently moved near Sacramento and I thought sac is like Bay Area which from what I heard are not ccw friendly so I thought Sacramento would be worse!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
That's actually a great news to me! I recently moved near Sacramento and I thought sac is like Bay Area which from what I heard are not ccw friendly so I thought Sacramento would be worse!
Worse then the Bay Area? Not a chance. CA I run by SF. Most liberal garbage stems from the Bay.
Old 11-03-2013, 1:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdock View Post
I was approved in EDC. I'm fairly young. I admitted to using it in High School. I now would never touch the stuff now or knowingly associate myself with those that do.

My interviewing detective looked at my application in front of me... "address in ....., tried pot in high school, work in sac, clean driving record... O.K. I see no reason you shouldn't be approved lets see your guns so I can check the SN's and you'll be out of here."

I would appeal it.
El Dorado County is probably the easiest to get a CCW in. Our Sheriff's policy is pretty much "if state law says I can issue you a CCW, I will".

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-04-2013, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdock View Post
Worse then the Bay Area? Not a chance. CA I run by SF. Most liberal garbage stems from the Bay.
How about Yolo County? is it CCW friendly like sac as well?
Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks
I don't live there but a few guys from work do.

From what I've heard you are SOL.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks
You might as well live in San Francisco.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks
If you were recently raped or constantly threatened by a gang, then your chance increases from 0% to maybe 15%. Its nearly impossible in Yolo, but not quite like SF.
Old 11-11-2013, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post
If you were recently raped or constantly threatened by a gang, then your chance increases from 0% to maybe 15%. Its nearly impossible in Yolo, but not quite like SF.
That sucks, i thought its the country side in Yolo county and should be gun friendly
Old 11-11-2013, 2:18 AM

Hypothetical questions here. Out of curiosity is there a way to access the same record data base that the Sheriff or detective will be looking at? I mean to prevent an accidental oversight, like a very old minor runn'in with the law, something you completely forgot about. I'm generally talking about stuff that probably wouldn't have a negative effect if it wasn't accidentally withheld. Does each IA have access to a server that's the general public can't access? Does each IA have access to a more reveling record system then the public access computers at the county court house? To be clear I'm wondering if every time a LEO took down my name when I was a kid being a kids, no charges where filed, are those put on file? Or when you got stopped for a tail light out 10 years ago but got no ticket, is that record on file? Are charges that got tossed out by a Judge or DA visibly? My gut tells me yes they can see everything from an eye in the sky. Not that I would intentionally with hold any info but because some runnin's for minor things happened a long time ago, I wouldn't to over look anything and risk a denial. This may deserve a new thread but it seems relevant enough to be asked here.

Last edited by North Bay Guy; 11-11-2013 at 2:23 AM..
Old 11-11-2013, 6:44 AM

Default CCW Permit denied

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Bay Guy View Post
Hypothetical questions here. Out of curiosity is there a way to access the same record data base that the Sheriff or detective will be looking at? I mean to prevent an accidental oversight, like a very old minor runn'in with the law, something you completely forgot about. I'm generally talking about stuff that probably wouldn't have a negative effect if it wasn't accidentally withheld. Does each IA have access to a server that's the general public can't access? Does each IA have access to a more reveling record system then the public access computers at the county court house? To be clear I'm wondering if every time a LEO took down my name when I was a kid being a kids, no charges where filed, are those put on file? Or when you got stopped for a tail light out 10 years ago but got no ticket, is that record on file? Are charges that got tossed out by a Judge or DA visibly? My gut tells me yes they can see everything from an eye in the sky. Not that I would intentionally with hold any info but because some runnin's for minor things happened a long time ago, I wouldn't to over look anything and risk a denial. This may deserve a new thread but it seems relevant enough to be asked here.
Is there a way to access it? Yeah I'm sure there is.

I was just very forthcoming in saying there may be some stuff in my app I forgot.

I had a traffic ticket in NV that I never paid when I was about 16. I put it down on my app, but honestly I couldn't tell what year it was or county in NV I was even in. It was never brought up in my interviews.

I had a couple of contacts with my local Sheriff Dept. When I was young. To this day I can't remember what most were for. Just young and dumb.

I'm sure it's up to your depts discretion.

Pay some money online to get a background check of yourself.
Old 11-20-2013, 1:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Bay Guy View Post
Hypothetical questions here. Out of curiosity is there a way to access the same record data base that the Sheriff or detective will be looking at?
You can go to a LiveScan location and pull your record. It's not instant though, you pay, have your prints scanned and receive your record by mail in about a week.

http://oag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security

That record will only contain your California records (and may be missing information). Some LiveScan centers have a service that allows you to request your FBI records, which are delivered via email in short order.

Old 11-27-2013, 1:55 PM

KPS has the info.. Known Persons System knows all... I saw my folder when I re-upped my CCW and it had vehicle reg info, accident info, INS Claims info... It had tons of crap from years ago... Funny thing is My info is Protected!
Old 12-18-2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
I was denied due to admitted recent Marijuana use. Recent to them meaning 2008 while I wa in college.
I'm new to caguns but am in a similar situation. I had my first appointment today and admitted to marijuana use one time in middle school (2007ish). I did not want to lie so I disclosed it as I am going to be a police officer in the future as well. No other things on my record besides a 2 year old speeding ticket. I did state I am an Eagle Scout on my application and the interviewers did take notice of that. I am now 21 and haven't used since nor will I again. Is there a big possibility I will get denied based in your experience?
Old 12-18-2014, 7:49 PM
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was denied due to admitted recent Marijuana use. Recent to them meaning 2008 while I was in college.
Meanwhile two presidents have used Marijuana and one used Coke + tons of alcohol and they got to control our nukes.... makes total sense.
Old 12-19-2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
That sucks, i thought its the country side in Yolo county and should be gun friendly
The very southern portion has a significant number of people who think otherwise.
Old 12-19-2014, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Well you're not getting a career in law enforcement now either.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4
Wrong
Old 12-19-2014, 9:39 PM

Yolo is unfortunately controlled by the Davis crowd...
Old 12-20-2014, 8:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Folks....try to focus. The first 63 posts ended in Nov 2013.

We now have a new 21-year old entrant asking about MJ use in Middle School.

Ignore everything before post 64 and give some advice.

OP--in which county did you apply? What did the interviewer say when you disclosed this?
Old 12-20-2014, 8:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by model63 View Post
Meanwhile two presidents have used Marijuana and one used Coke + tons of alcohol and they got to control our nukes.... makes total sense.
yeah but the pres doesnt carry a gun he just controls our entire military ....oh wait

Old 12-28-2014, 2:14 AM

I was denied, but they didn't say why. In my appeal, I said something like "What am I appealing anyway? I should at least have the right to know why you would deny my application." Letter came back again denied. Apply in a year. Still didn't say why. Should I sue?
Old 12-28-2014, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just an update, my CCW was granted after I sent in my appeal letter.
Congratulations!