Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences Discuss Concealed Carry Permit/License classes here.

Old 09-21-2011, 8:36 PM
Vendor/Retailer

There are a lot of good instructors out there. We are also offering CCW Classes.

Mike @ CST
sales@cstactical.com
916-670-1103

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 09-21-2011, 8:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGunWorks View Post
There are a lot of good instructors out there. We are also offering CCW Classes.

Mike @ CST

And this is the class I 100% recommend
Old 03-06-2012, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
I'm going with Ron Etchells.

$175 flat rate and free re-quals for life!

I'll post a report when I'm done with the class.
Just an update of sorts (yes, i know last post was last year).
I contacted Ron Etchells from his website and he is no longer doing qualifications for Sacramento County
Too bad, I like the idea of free re-quals for life!!!

I just recently attended California Security Training Academy and like it very much. Yes, it's true what they say, it is a combination of guard/exposed carry and discrete-carry during the course-work. However, the instructor did a pretty good job to differentiate situations between exposed guard carry and discrete-carry folks.
The training was good enough for me to pass the firing-qualification for my first discrete carry.
The instructors were open to discuss the details of discrete-carry, so I came out of that class satisfied with the level of training I got.
CSTA also has an "advanced" course, which focuses more on the shooting element of things; drawing from the discrete carry holster, rapid firing, taking cover and firing from cover.
I'm planning to take that course very soon - before the weather gets too warm to enjoy the outdoors.
CSTA for discrete-carry course & quals is $100
The CSTA advanced handgun training is $75.

I know LFI is recommended by a lot of CalGun'ers - and I chose CSTA mainly because of locality - I'm hoping this can be a substitute for the time-being, until I can wake my butt up earlier enough to get out to SVSC.
I'll consider LFI for future training. It beats spending $15 every so often at the gun range just to send bullets down range. I like the holster aspect of shooting and the aspect of moving and/or then shoot.

Last edited by egDonald; 03-06-2012 at 4:24 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 7:12 AM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!
Default CCW Training

Terry Wingart
916 261-2149
kenpo412@yahoo.com
9175 Kiefer Blvd. Suite 168 Sacramento Ca. 95826

NRA Law Enforcement & Civilian Instructor
DOJ Certified Firearm Instructor
BSIS Certified Instructor
AIR Taser and Self Defense Instructor
Security and Law Enforcement Training
Private and Group Classes
Old 04-07-2012, 8:13 AM

universal security acadamy, 2382 fruitridge rd,916-393-7878
good solid ccw training, (not imitation navy seal training)........
Old 06-05-2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egDonald View Post
Just an update of sorts (yes, i know last post was last year).
I contacted Ron Etchells from his website and he is no longer doing qualifications for Sacramento County
Too bad, I like the idea of free re-quals for life!!!

I just recently attended California Security Training Academy and like it very much. Yes, it's true what they say, it is a combination of guard/exposed carry and discrete-carry during the course-work. However, the instructor did a pretty good job to differentiate situations between exposed guard carry and discrete-carry folks.
The training was good enough for me to pass the firing-qualification for my first discrete carry.
The instructors were open to discuss the details of discrete-carry, so I came out of that class satisfied with the level of training I got.
CSTA also has an "advanced" course, which focuses more on the shooting element of things; drawing from the discrete carry holster, rapid firing, taking cover and firing from cover.
I'm planning to take that course very soon - before the weather gets too warm to enjoy the outdoors.
CSTA for discrete-carry course & quals is $100
The CSTA advanced handgun training is $75.

I know LFI is recommended by a lot of CalGun'ers - and I chose CSTA mainly because of locality - I'm hoping this can be a substitute for the time-being, until I can wake my butt up earlier enough to get out to SVSC.
I'll consider LFI for future training. It beats spending $15 every so often at the gun range just to send bullets down range. I like the holster aspect of shooting and the aspect of moving and/or then shoot.
So what happens to those whom have qualified with him from sac county? Does he not honor them. This is the same kind of things that bugs me. Companies or shop owners offer life time warranty/re-qual and goes out of business and where do you go to get your stuff done when it was promised to you.
Old 06-06-2012, 5:13 AM

FYI Cordova ccw class offers qualification with 3 guns for no extra charge
Old 06-06-2012, 8:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie916 View Post
FYI Cordova ccw class offers qualification with 3 guns for no extra charge
I think most CCW instructior are doing this now, I know we do.

Mike CST
sales@cstactical.com
916-670-1103

Old 08-12-2012, 7:56 PM

Default Need to take my CCW Class...??

I need to get some info on who to go to for my CCW class that i need to take next month. I know there has been alot of info on here but its pretty old and i want to make sure that its up to date and reasonably priced... But no Back door Classes please. I would like someone that knows there **** but at the same time not trying to rob me blind with some off the wall price... Im located in Rancho Cordova,ca Thanks...
Old 08-13-2012, 2:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

We still offer ours.

John @ CST
sales@cstactical.com
916-670-1103

Old 08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX View Post

Yankee Hill Shooter - Ron Etchell

Will

Besides him not being accepted by Sacramento County, I find it appalling that Ron would make this remark about 100% of his students which I KNOW is untrue:

https://www.facebook.com/fox40news/p...50855948325835

Ron Etchells There is only one safety needed on gun; the person holding it. this mayhtis the result of Piss poor training.. lesson learned for those who insist they do not need training to get a permit. EVERY single person I've seen come thru my curriculum has had at least one safety violation, including those who preached how 'experienced' they were. Safety is paramount yet few have taken, nor want to take safety training. Btw, I carry a Glock because it does NOT have a safety, and I carry EVERYWHERE and the liberals cant do anything about it!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
Besides him not being accepted by Sacramento County, I find it appalling that Ron would make this remark about 100% of his students which I KNOW is untrue:

https://www.facebook.com/fox40news/p...50855948325835

Ron Etchells There is only one safety needed on gun; the person holding it. this mayhtis the result of Piss poor training.. lesson learned for those who insist they do not need training to get a permit. EVERY single person I've seen come thru my curriculum has had at least one safety violation, including those who preached how 'experienced' they were. Safety is paramount yet few have taken, nor want to take safety training. Btw, I carry a Glock because it does NOT have a safety, and I carry EVERYWHERE and the liberals cant do anything about it!!!
I could believe that... I mean, many folks who come through the CCW class likely never had to consider brandishing a firearm in urban/populated areas. Maybe there are retired LEOs or retired military individuals or whomever. But likely didn't have to carry concealed too often in public.

For example, he made the example of "thinking what's beyond the target".
Before I took that class, I thought if someone waved a gun at me, I could plain out shoot them for reason of "fear for my life"

Seems that's not true, as I need to consider innocent lives that may be behind the assailant. Even if I don't hit any innocents that may be behind the assailant, I still could be in trouble for firing my firearm and endangering others.

I don't know about "100%"... but maybe it is... I don't know.
I'm sure each person made some sort of mistake, however small or insignificant it might be.
Old 08-17-2012, 4:22 AM
Calguns Addict

It's a basic class, I and other students that I know personally have been through classes much more advanced than this previously have had tougher classes. I know either one of us do not fall in that category as we shoot or train with advanced LEO instructors often and do not make those rookie mistakes by becoming complacent. I'm not saying it can't ever happen but I know I was safe, I was not unsafe in that class and might as well been the range officer in his class as I had to correct muzzling from students that his assistant missed while standing next to me.

Last edited by Shenaniguns; 08-17-2012 at 4:24 AM..
Old 08-20-2012, 7:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

True – there are I’m sure a good handful of courses and instructors out there but I would HIGHLY recommend Wes over at Lagomarsino’s Firearm Institute (www.LFIguns.com) - His course was very thorough and was not just a rubber stamp to get out of the way to obtain a CCW. He takes great care in designing his curriculum and pays close attention to safety and the legal aspects of carrying a concealed firearm. He is very professional and has a great overall attitude and I’ve heard that others out there are not nearly as competent.

Carrying a concealed firearm is serious business and you want to be sure you are properly trained in all aspects!