Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-20-2013, 7:56 AM

Default .22 LR newbie - Give me a chance veteran hoarders!

I've always wanted a Ruger 10/22 to go with my SKS and finally put one in jail at Turner's. I also stocked up on 10/22 mags at Turner's.

Now all I need is... .22LR AMMOS! Mother of pearls it is near impossible to get a stash. I will be glued to Calguns to get a Federal Ammo Can of .22lr at a decent price.

Hoarders and flippers, give this newbie a chance.
Old 04-20-2013, 8:05 AM

Turners will usually scare up some .22LR for you if you bought a .22 rifle from them. Ask them.

Field Time Target and Training also has .22LR ammo for its shooters in reasonable quantities at fairly OK cost.

This madness will end soon enough.
Old 04-20-2013, 8:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As a veteran hoarder, I'm insulted that you would blame my kind. I and my kind already had more than enough .22lr BEFORE this perceived shortage started. Since this latest shortage began, I have not bought a single round and have given thousands of rounds away. It's the unprepared non hoarders and new shooters who are to blame for the current scarcity. As any good hoarder knows, this is not the right time to add to one's stash. In fact, right now, I don't even waste my time trying to find .22lr to buy. Anyway, get your facts straight and blame the right groups of people. It is YOUR KIND that is causing the problems for us veteran hoarders. So, do me a favor and get all the unprepared shooters and newbies to stop looking for .22lr so that the price and stock will return to normal and I can add another 5-10 cases (25,000-50,000 rounds) to my stash so that I'm able to give more away during the next perceived shortage.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 04-20-2013, 8:41 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Similarly - I don't live near a Walmart that sell ammo - so everytime I drive by one that does and I have a little time to spare I stop and check and pick up some .22lr if they have it.

Back in Nov. before the current run there was a decent deal so I bought 20k - always good to have extra in stock. I run through about 500-1k each time I take 2-3 people out for a first time range trip.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I sold a .22lr to a guy in Dec. threw in 150 rounds so he could take it out to the range.
Old 04-20-2013, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexTracker View Post
I've always wanted a Ruger 10/22 .

Now all I need is... .22LR AMMOS!
.22lr at a decent price.

How old are you?
Decent price....Either pay the market rate or stop
your whinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
As a veteran hoarder, I'm insulted that you would blame my kind.

It is YOUR KIND that is causing the problems for us veteran hoarders. So, do me a favor and get all the unprepared shooters and newbies to stop looking for .22lr .

Blame all the PANIC BUYERS.
The ones who where never interested in the sport to
begin with.
The same ones who vote Dem across the board.
How did you vote NOOB?

I learned in 08.
FBHO
George Patton
Old 04-20-2013, 8:53 AM

Plan A-pay the going rate, Plan-B wait.
Old 04-20-2013, 8:54 AM

Stop whining OP. I and others were smart enough to stock up.
Old 04-20-2013, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Come on you hoarders-
Sell me your home that you purchased in 1982 for what you paid for it in 1982.

Stop charging the current value for the item.

It stinks that ammo is higher priced now than MSRP and it is the same price more or less than it was in 2009 after the election panic.

But at the end of the day it is still cheap to shoot a .22 LR.

500 rounds for $50-$75 stinks but still way less than buying 500 rounds of any center fire.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 04-20-2013, 9:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Trextracker-
If you can provide me with copies of the emails you have sent to politicians in the past three months on all of the new proposed gun ban legislation, I will send you 150 rounds for the cost of postage.

In other words- if you can show me how you have been supporting the cause, I will give you some ammo.

Sorry folks- offer to OP only.

PM me

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 04-20-2013, 9:08 AM

Quote:
I've always wanted a Ruger 10/22 to go with my SKS and finally put one in jail at Turner's. I also stocked up on 10/22 mags at Turner's.

Now all I need is... .22LR AMMOS! Mother of pearls it is near impossible to get a stash. I will be glued to Calguns to get a Federal Ammo Can of .22lr at a decent price.

it is tough right now, but best bet is to find out when your LGS gets there ammo in stock & wait in line. or make friends with your LGS employee and see if he can stash you a extra box.
"The gun has played a critical role in history...an invention that has been both praised and denounced...served hero and villain alike...and carries with it moral responsibility. To better understand the gun is to better understand history."
Old 04-20-2013, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Trextracker-
If you can provide me with copies of the emails you have sent to politicians in the past three months on all of the new proposed gun ban legislation, I will send you 150 rounds for the cost of postage.
In other words- if you can show me how you have been supporting the cause, I will give you some ammo.

PM me
Your nice...
Ill chip in 100rnds if he has.
George Patton
Old 04-20-2013, 9:18 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Trextracker-

PM me
Bummer...

I recently picked up a 10/22 as well (my first .22LR firearm) and it's been fun trying to find ammo for it. I have a decent stash of ammo for the calibers I owned prior to the "panic" but my shortcoming was not stocking up on calibers I knew I would own at some point (ie: .22LR and .308)

NRA life member, CRPA member and, SAF life member -- Holsters & High Heels (Facebook - YouTube)

“The man in black fled into the desert and the gunslinger followed.”

“For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” (Matthew 16:26)
Old 04-20-2013, 9:42 AM

Normally I side with those that prepare for the unexpected, but I think now more than ever we should be welcoming new shooters and new younger guys into the 2nd amend fight not telling them to sit n spin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 04-20-2013, 9:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC VET View Post
Normally I side with those that prepare for the unexpected, but I think now more than ever we should be welcoming new shooters and new younger guys into the 2nd amend fight not telling them to sit n spin
I agree. I've already GIVEN thousands of rounds to new shooters since the current shortage started. However, the OP came here pointing fingers instead of asking for help. His attitude towards those who could have helped him is partially to blame for his current predicament.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 04-20-2013, 9:49 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Trextracker-

PM me
aw crap i was about to score some off you. haha

good deal man
Old 04-20-2013, 9:51 AM

Quote:
I agree. I've already GIVEN thousands of rounds to new shooters since the current shortage started. However, the OP came here pointing fingers instead of asking for help. His attitude towards those who could have helped him is partially to blame for his current predicament.
Fair enough sir, I appreciate your generosity. We need all the people shooting we can get. I'm a believer in popularity drives support and while it's painful at first it'll be good in the end.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 04-20-2013, 9:53 AM

lol, can someone please give me some ammo too. Would love to get special treatment since I'm new and all.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 AM

I'm a firm believer in the free market and being ready before the SHTF, and that the prepared aren't required to help the unprepared.

I have no problem at all with people buying to stock up when it shows up at a good price (Wal-Mart, etc). Not everybody has been around long enough (no offense to the old dogs here) to buy the guns they need and build up their ammo cache.

I don't even need the ammo but I do have a big problem with people fist fighting in the parking lot at 5:30 for that first spot in line so they can buy everything for the SOLE PURPOSE of depleting the supply and turning it back around for sale at ridiculous prices. Get a real job, scumbag. I'd rather see the ammo go to first timer n00bs (which we desperately need) rather than some sleazy guy just looking to make a quick buck that may not even be a gun guy. They could even be card carrying Brady members for all you know. Need it for yourself? Fine.

But hey, it's all about me, me, me. Money first! We don't need to stick together when our rights are up on the butchers block. We don't need to get new members to join our ranks in these times. Nope, there's money to be made, and people like you to snatch it out from under! Capitalism baby, everything is for sale, even your brothers or your rights for the right price! Woo-Hoo! $$$$$$$$$
Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Shot View Post
I'm a firm believer in the free market and being ready before the SHTF, and that the prepared aren't required to help the unprepared.

I have no problem at all with people buying to stock up when it shows up at a good price (Wal-Mart, etc). Not everybody has been around long enough (no offense to the old dogs here) to buy the guns they need and build up their ammo cache.

I don't even need the ammo but I do have a big problem with people fist fighting in the parking lot at 5:30 for that first spot in line so they can buy everything for the SOLE PURPOSE of depleting the supply and turning it back around for sale at ridiculous prices. Get a real job, scumbag. I'd rather see the ammo go to first timer n00bs (which we desperately need) rather than some sleazy guy just looking to make a quick buck that may not even be a gun guy. They could even be card carrying Brady members for all you know. Need it for yourself? Fine.

But hey, it's all about me, me, me. Money first! We don't need to stick together when our rights are up on the butchers block. We don't need to get new members to join our ranks in these times. Nope, there's money to be made, and people like you to snatch it out from under! Capitalism baby, everything is for sale, even your brothers or your rights for the right price! Woo-Hoo! $$$$$$$$$
So when someone doesn't want to sell products to someone else for prices under the current market, that's bad and it's all about "me, me, me"...

But when someone wants to buy products from people for prices under the current market prices it's not bad and isn't about "me, me, me"?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Someone is selling CCI Stingers in the marketplace here.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:

You are in the same place as nearly every other .22lr shooter, looking for ammo. Try posting in this forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=106

Perhaps someone may help you out. Scour the internet for companies that sell ammo and get on their email notification list and be quick when you get notified.

You probably won't get much attention when appealing to folks by using terms such as Hoarder or Flipper. The only folks who are not hoarders are those that don't have any ammo. Don't blame others for having foresight and being prepared. (I don't like and will not deal with Flippers as it just prolongs the panic pricing) This shortage will blow over eventually and most likely all ammo costs will increase even when it does.

Include your location when asking to purchase something, might help.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Just keep looking for it , there is some to find.

I have been trying to get enough together for a 4H training day , hard enough getting permission from "Soccer Mom's" to let the kids learn.Got more girls than boys signed up.

Been working for a month and even got a few of the Mom's wanting to learn safety and how to shoot. just because of what's been in the news.

So keep on searching , you'll find some soon.

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".
Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

what "shortage" i walked into walmart , asked if they had a box of .40 and bulk .22 and bought one of each at much less then being sold here on CalGuns

guess i should have bought the limit and sold them for 3 times the price here

OP remember to ask if you goto wallyworld as my local is not stocking their display , but do have some ammo under the counter and dont buy more then you need that is what is driving this BS "shortage"....
Old 04-20-2013, 1:08 PM

"Veteran Hoarders" are not the reason for the shortage of .22LR.

"Veteran hoarders" bought their cases of .22LR (and all other calibers) years ago. I added one more case of CCI Mini Mags to my inventory, the day of the Sandy Hook shooting because I knew, and that was the day I sprung my Mark III Competition out of jail. We are also the same ones who stocked up on primers, powder, and bullets before 2012.

We are not the ones purchasing ammo at 3-6 times the price.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Old 04-20-2013, 2:18 PM

"Veteran Hoarders?!?"

Just that some of us started acquiring guns and ammo long ago. Its not about a mad rush to hoard, just foresight (or dumb luck in my case!) and a slow and steady collecting of assets over the years.

First 10/22?! That should be one of the first to get! They've been made since the sixties, ya know.

G/L in your ammo hunt. What's your location? Maybe a CGN'r will donate some to the cause. I have given ammo to locals.

Robert
Old 04-20-2013, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanakasan View Post
Maybe a CGN'r will donate some to the cause. I have given ammo to locals.

Robert
The offer has already been made.

Quote:
Trextracker-

PM me
I bet he did not
George Patton
Old 04-20-2013, 5:16 PM

OP you missed out by a month. I sold 30,000 rounds of .22lr at pre-panic prices in this sub forum.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 04-21-2013, 7:35 AM

Gunbot dude... It takes some time but if you really work at it you can find what you want
Old 04-21-2013, 7:46 AM

I have not had any problems getting ammo. I won't pay over 5-6 cents a round and I get ammo every week. It's a lot of work but deals are there. Stop looking at calguns and start hunting. Don't pay more than 5 cents a round.
Old 04-21-2013, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

You know about this thread, right? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=676306

There have been quite a few decent deals posted in there recently at reasonable prices.
Old 04-21-2013, 8:17 AM

pilgrim, you want ammo now you pay market prices like everyone else...no one is ENTITLED to pre-shortage prices...as others have said here, i bought cases when it was plentiful and now i'm the greedy guy IF I WERE TO SELL at market prices?

i got no interest to sell my inventory, i'm good for awhile and intend to stay good...but IF i did decide to sell bricks, i'm not going to sell at what i paid for it, i'll sell at what the market wants it for...
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
As a veteran hoarder, I'm insulted that you would blame my kind. I and my kind already had more than enough .22lr BEFORE this perceived shortage started. Since this latest shortage began, I have not bought a single round and have given thousands of rounds away. It's the unprepared non hoarders and new shooters who are to blame for the current scarcity. As any good hoarder knows, this is not the right time to add to one's stash. In fact, right now, I don't even waste my time trying to find .22lr to buy. Anyway, get your facts straight and blame the right groups of people. It is YOUR KIND that is causing the problems for us veteran hoarders. So, do me a favor and get all the unprepared shooters and newbies to stop looking for .22lr so that the price and stock will return to normal and I can add another 5-10 cases (25,000-50,000 rounds) to my stash so that I'm able to give more away during the next perceived shortage.
Same...
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 AM

ALL YOUR AMMO ARE BELONG TO ME!!!

...well...I guess maybe not...and the hunt continues...............................
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 PM

Good luck and be patient.
It will soon become available.
Talk to the Turners where you bought the rifle and ask them if they couldn't help you out with finding you a brick to shoot your new purchase.
Make sure you let them know you have been eying a future gun purchase to oil the wheels.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:33 AM

Hmm, the OP "stocked up on 10/22 mags"... I've seen a number of posts from members who cannot find mags. Guess the OP is guilty of hoarding since he is stocked up!

A couple of weeks ago I sent 2k of 22s over to some scout troops, they were actually planning on taking about 15 boys on their first shoot with only ten rounds for each... when I was a kid ten rounds didn't last ten seconds.
Guess I'm a hoarder since I had some to spare.
Old 04-22-2013, 6:27 AM
Veteran Member

Location?

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 04-22-2013, 6:46 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxo2 View Post
Your nice...
Ill chip in 100rnds if he has.
OP,
I was going to chip in an additional 250 to make it a full brick if you were a CalGuns contributor but I see that you haven't made the leap. I find ammo too hard to ship but, if you are in SoCal, post a thread on the contibutors forum and I'll take care of you.
Old 04-22-2013, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmax View Post
Hmm, the OP "stocked up on 10/22 mags"... I've seen a number of posts from members who cannot find mags. Guess the OP is guilty of hoarding since he is stocked up!

A couple of weeks ago I sent 2k of 22s over to some scout troops, they were actually planning on taking about 15 boys on their first shoot with only ten rounds for each... when I was a kid ten rounds didn't last ten seconds.
Guess I'm a hoarder since I had some to spare.
Bravo! Take a look at my sig. This is my concern with summer camps right around the corner. My son is signed up for rifle and shotgun shooting merit badges this year. Hopefully BSA has hoarded or have volunteers such as yourself that are as generous with their "hoarded" stash.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

OK guys, stop coming down so hard on the OP. He's a new shooter, so welcome! And now he's experiencing the ammo panic, which sucks for all of us except for flippers.

My friend bought 100 rounds (two 50 round boxes) for $30 from a LGS!
We were going to an Appleseed shoot. I TOLD HIM that I'd GIVE him a box of 500, but he bought it anyway. I didn't know he'd buy it, but it just added fuel to that fire that people would pay that much. HOWEVER, he hasn't shot in 35 years and has no idea what ammo costs, and he is not a kid with no money. So he saw ammo and he bought it. He wasn't panic buying or anything, just needed ammo, has a new gun, and doesn't know the going rate for ammo (pre panic I mean).

If OP had posted "Interested in a .22" in this forum, I would have suggested to him VERY STRONGLY that he consider a .22 AIR RIFLE for now.

I'm still thinking of it myself. Good air rifles run the gauntlet of prices. The one I'd want plus a pump for it would probably run 5-600 bucks. But then .22 pellets are easily found and cheap.

But even a decent spring piston (whatever) air rifle would be cheaper and easier to find and feed than a 10/22... if plinking is your goal.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM

I've fired expert with rifle and pistol for over 40 years. I don't go to the range anymore. I save ammo by using pellet guns to keep my hand/eye coordination up to par.