Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-03-2013, 5:23 PM

Default Step by step explanation from FFL please?

I'm trying to teach my LGS how about the intrafamily transfer of a non-roster pistol from an out of state party. I understand the FFL needs to check off an exempt box on the DROS, write "Gift" in the comments section and file a copy of my Father's gifting letter that will come with the pistol.

I'm looking at a DROS form and am wondering which of the roster exemption checkboxes to check off. Is it the "CURIO/RELIC/OLYMPIC/OTHER" exemption checkbox?
Old 04-04-2013, 8:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The DROS is submitted under the "curio/relic/olympic pistol/EXEMPT". There is no "other" on that button in the DROS system. I was told by the CA DOJ to use the comment "SB15 exempt". The fact that it is a gift does not matter since what matters is that it is an intrafamilial transfer.

As said, you need to document it, so a letter from your father, saying that he is your father, is needed. The last name is not enough since it could be from an uncle or brother, which would not qualify for the exemption. I copy of his ID is also a good idea.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-05-2013, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
The DROS is submitted under the "curio/relic/olympic pistol/EXEMPT". There is no "other" on that button in the DROS system. I was told by the CA DOJ to use the comment "SB15 exempt". The fact that it is a gift does not matter since what matters is that it is an intrafamilial transfer.

As said, you need to document it, so a letter from your father, saying that he is your father, is needed. The last name is not enough since it could be from an uncle or brother, which would not qualify for the exemption. I copy of his ID is also a good idea.
There is no "curio/relic/olympic pistol/EXEMPT" on the paper form, just the spot I mentioned. How is the paper form to be filled out?
Old 04-05-2013, 5:50 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs1975 View Post
There is no "curio/relic/olympic pistol/EXEMPT" on the paper form, just the spot I mentioned. How is the paper form to be filled out?
Paper?

DROS is almost uniformly submitted via internet - special software provided by DOJ; would you mind explaining where paper comes in?

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-05-2013, 6:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs1975 View Post
The paper copy is just a WORKSHEET and does not really matter since it has to be submitted electronically. You might be looking at an older version since all the versions that I see are have exempt on them.

The worksheet is used for consignment sales to have the seller sign it in advance.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by kemasa; 04-05-2013 at 6:55 PM..