Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up San Benito

UPDATE (2015 Aug 08):

This from the Sheriff's CCW webpage (http://sbso.us/concealed-weapons-permits) (emphasis added):

The Sheriff’s Office is aware of the Peruta v. San Diego case recently heard in the Ninth Circuit U. S. Court of Appeals. We have evaluated the outcome and will continue to monitor the issue as it progresses. The standard of “good cause” varies from county to county, and recently has not been a roadblock to our applicants. Please continue to complete the full application packet to include your statement of good cause

Last edited by Paladin; 08-08-2015 at 3:30 AM.. Reason: deleted dead link to out-of-date GC info
Old 07-27-2015, 12:47 PM

I turned in my application today so we'll see how it goes. I listed one of our M&Ps on the DOJ form, but I'll hold off getting something smaller until I get confirmation that my "good cause" statement gets accepted. I've had a "boring" existence so it all depends on the criteria the Sheriff is applying.

If the threshold criteria requires a higher than normal threat environment then most of use are doomed CCW-wise. I'd wear a seatbelt even if the law didn't mandate same; heck, I wear a seatbelt on commercial flights all the time. I do so not because I fear and accident, but because it's common sense to mitigate against high consequence events when it takes so little effort.

Good luck to all with their applications in the queue.
Old 07-27-2015, 7:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
I turned in my application today so we'll see how it goes. I listed one of our M&Ps on the DOJ form, but I'll hold off getting something smaller until I get confirmation that my "good cause" statement gets accepted. I've had a "boring" existence so it all depends on the criteria the Sheriff is applying.

If the threshold criteria requires a higher than normal threat environment then most of use are doomed CCW-wise. I'd wear a seatbelt even if the law didn't mandate same; heck, I wear a seatbelt on commercial flights all the time. I do so not because I fear and accident, but because it's common sense to mitigate against high consequence events when it takes so little effort.

Good luck to all with their applications in the queue.
And good luck to you!

You sound like me: avoiding situations where trouble is likely to occur. I enjoy living a peaceful, low-drama, "boring" life!

Be sure to update us here on your progress.
Old 07-27-2015, 7:34 PM

Palladin: I used self defense plus I am on the road alone quite a bit, trips to remote areas and I have had some scary encounters while out there. No longer young and pretty, but a perceived "soft target" for the wackos, truck thieves or horse thieves nevertheless.
Old 07-28-2015, 6:31 AM

Anyone know if our county submits the DOJ application as soon as received? The reason I ask is that the FS M&P on my application is not what I would carry, but I don't want to buy a compact or sub-compact unless I know the Sheriff has accepted my "good cause". And I sure wouldn't want to take a CCW class with something I wasn't going to carry. (I do have a call into the CCW coordinator as well).

Update: Spoke with the CCW coordinator and no problem subsequently adding a gun. Just need to work the gun problem in time to put 1000 rounds down range before the CCW class which is probably 5 months from now. I'll also need to have the gun in hand in order to work up a practice load that is closer to factory; our steel challenge loads are very soft.
7/23/15 - Submitted App
7/28/15 - Received call to schedule interview (7/30). CCW coordinator sounds like a nice guy.
8/ 6/15 - Interview
8/ 7/15 - Livescan appointment - after which the wait begins
11/13/15- The wait continues.
12/15/15 - Contacted the IA. he initially said it's taking a while to hear back, but followed up and DOJ has no record of a Livescan request. turns out the Livescan computer at the local Jail is old and they sometimes have problem submitting Livescans. After two tries the computer has a nasty habit of deleting the data.
1/15/16 - redid the Livescan. Ive lost 5 months. At least this wasn't a DOJ conspiracy.
3/30/16 - Psychological test scheduled for 4/7/16 = DOJ background check ok, took 75 days. Progress!!!
4/7/16 - Took the test. About 540 questions. Finished in 1 hour
4/26/16 - Consult with psychologist. $150 poorer.
7/21/16 - got the call

Last edited by rdtompki; 07-30-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Old 07-29-2015, 8:07 PM

rdtomki: i saw your post in another section asking about the three letters of reference required. Request letters from reputable people who can address your character, temperament and self-control honestly and favorably. Expect that they will be called and interviewed on the phone. Also expect that your spouse/family will be called and asked about your suitability, home gun storage practices, legal problems, etc. The two phone interviews I got feedback on were pretty informal and both parties enjoyed talking to the interviewer. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2015, 8:20 PM

Can those who have taken CCW training from one of the San Benito County listed individuals post their impressions in this thread? The forum dedicated to training is all over the place.

Actual training requirements appear to be minimal in terms of the firearm, itself, the legal aspects being foremost, but I was a bit surprised that one of the classes was 4 hours and 20 rounds.
Old 08-07-2015, 8:30 AM

I took my CCW course from Dave Matthews. I highly recommend Dave he is very familiar with the San Benito CCW process.
The class i took ended up to be 9 hours which went fast, also Dave will not end the course or leave the range until everyone qualifies.
I checked the website http://www.firearmtraininginstitute.com/index.htm for classes and didn't see any scheduled.
Contact Dave (408-506-1884) to see if he has any classes planned.

Last edited by JRG351; 08-07-2015 at 8:37 AM..
Old 08-09-2015, 6:58 AM

Default CCW trainers for SBC

"Can those who have taken CCW training from one of the San Benito County listed individuals post their impressions in this thread? The forum dedicated to training is all over the place"

I took mine from Wayne Summers at Coyote Clays. It was a good experience. The qualifying required 50 rounds fired for each handgun you want to list on your permit, at varying distances with time limits. I don't recall the % accuracy required. Anyway I think this exceeds the Sheriff's minimum standards and I like that. It was fun and challenging.

I have taken other handgun classes from him too. He is low key, professional and very safety conscious.
Old 08-11-2015, 7:06 PM

I don't doubt there is a backlog and I'm sure the Sheriff's office is on a tight budget, but I'm wondering why we don't hear more from backlog members in this thread. Calguns.net is the go-to place for California gun owners and, specifically, this thread is the go-to place for those SB denizens in the CCW queue.
Old 08-17-2015, 4:21 PM

Default Course of fire - San Benito?

I believe our county is 20 or 30 rounds and I also believe the max distance is 15 yards. How many rounds and time per string at each distance? Assume this is done from the draw? How large is the scoring area, A-zone size?
Thanks,
Old 10-19-2015, 10:36 AM

Hey guys. I applied for SBC CCW last week and I was able to do the Sheriffs interview when I dropped off the application. During "interview" the Sheriff goes through your application and has you sign several pages. When I filled out my reason for wanting a CCW I wrote to protect myself and family. Interviewer said that works but hinted that I should add more to it. Asked me if I like hunting and camping so I added that to my reason for wanting a CCW. I did my livescan fingerprints the next day at the county jail. I need to get a DMV driving record printout turned in which I plan on doing today. Sheriff said it has been taking around 6 months to get permit and they get about 80 applications per year. I will post updates through the process.
Old 12-17-2015, 4:37 AM

Sent an e-mail to Capt. Lamonica, listed as the IA POC on the SBC website, asking him if he had any info on the current DOJ cycle time. It's been four months for me which is not excessive, but doesn't hurt to ask. After all, how long does it take to find absolutely nothing. All DOJ has to do is call the Chinese and get a copy of the latest SF-86; they have everything. If they have hacked OPM, they certainly have hacked the CA DOJ. I'll post back what the good Captain has to say.

Final Status - Livescan computer dumped last August. I've redone the Livescan but lost 5 months.

Last edited by rdtompki; 01-27-2016 at 6:36 PM..
Old 01-27-2016, 6:41 PM

Default Wife has applied for her CCW

Wife dropped the application off, had the interview and has the Livescan request in hand. Not bad for a day's work. Eventually, she'll need an appropriate handgun. She only has 9mm 1911s, a Kimber Pro Carry HD II in 38 Super and 9mm M&P. The ideal gun would be an alloy Commander 1911 in 9mm (or 45 ACP for that matter), but there is nothing on the roster. The Kimber is a nice gone (once it gets back from Kimber warranty land), but it's heavy. She has more than 25K rounds through her full-size 1911 so it's a platform with which she is very familiar.
Old 03-30-2016, 3:09 PM

I now have an appt. for psychological test on 4/7. Livescan+DOJ check took 75 days.
Update: actual exam approx. 15 minutes FWIW.

Last edited by rdtompki; 05-10-2016 at 5:50 PM..
Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 AM

I just finished the process. Took a little over 6 months from start to finish.
Old 06-02-2016, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf49ers68 View Post
I just finished the process. Took a little over 6 months from start to finish.
I suspect I'll be in right at 11 months, but I lost 4 months when my original fingerprint and background check disappeared into the ether. The IA is moving things along quite well. Most of the delay is out of their hands.
Old 07-21-2016, 4:26 PM

I can confirm that San Benito County is issuing.

I moved my timeline, below, up from an earlier post in case anyone pops in at the end of the San Benito County thread.
7/23/15 - Submitted App
7/28/15 - Received call to schedule interview (7/30). CCW coordinator sounds like a nice guy.
8/ 6/15 - Interview
12/15/15 - Contacted the IA. he initially said it's taking a while to hear back, but followed up and DOJ has no record of a Livescan request. turns out the Livescan computer at the local Jail is old and they sometimes have problem submitting Livescans. After two tries the computer has a nasty habit of deleting the data.
1/15/16 - redid the Livescan. Ive lost 5 months. At least this wasn't a DOJ conspiracy.
3/30/16 - Psychological test scheduled for 4/7/16 = DOJ background check ok, took 75 days. Progress!!!
7/21/16 - got the call, pickup on 8/1 or 8/2 (IA on vacation for a week)
8/1/16 - License in hand

The part time retired deputy is a nice guy. The five month hit in the beginning of the process was the jail's problem and I should have asked the IA to check sooner. I don't expect the one guy doing all the CCW work to check monthly on why a Livescan might not have come back from DOJ. Basically took 6 months from successful Livescan submittal to getting the ok to pick up call.

Last edited by rdtompki; 08-02-2016 at 6:38 PM..
Old 08-16-2016, 1:25 PM

Wife now has her CCW
Old 08-26-2016, 5:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

<snip>

7/23/15 - Submitted App
8/ 6/15 - Interview

<snip>

8/1/16 - License in hand
Quote:
Wife now has her CCW
Can you let us know roughly (w/o giving enough info so as to ID yourself or your misses), what your Good Cause statements were like?
Old 08-26-2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Can you let us know roughly (w/o giving enough info so as to ID yourself or your misses), what your Good Cause statements were like?
Didn't take much. Basic personal protection plus frequent travel within CA for competitions during which time we might be a fairly attractive targets for theft.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Didn't take much. Basic personal protection plus frequent travel within CA for competitions during which time we might be a fairly attractive targets for theft.
Do you believe they would issue on "Personal Self Defense" alone, assuming one could pass the other requirements?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 08-27-2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Do you believe they would issue on "Personal Self Defense" alone, assuming one could pass the other requirements?
I simply don't know. Anecdotally, the IA is apparently working a large number of applications relative to the size of San Benito County. I would assume that a number of these must be of the personal protection or similar variety. Hard to believe these would be "active" if they hadn't passed the initial screening.

I would think if one goes beyond the basic 2A claim, the additional support should be "personal", something connected to your own circumstance as opposed to "the world is falling apart", although it is.
Old 02-19-2017, 2:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I simply don't know. Anecdotally, the IA is apparently working a large number of applications relative to the size of San Benito County. I would assume that a number of these must be of the personal protection or similar variety. Hard to believe these would be "active" if they hadn't passed the initial screening.

I would think if one goes beyond the basic 2A claim, the additional support should be "personal", something connected to your own circumstance as opposed to "the world is falling apart", although it is.
Looks like they're going to put their CCW process online at any time (expected to go live this month):
http://sbso.us/concealed-weapons-permits

Quote:
The Sheriff’s Office is not accepting any new concealed weapons permit applications until February 2017.

A new streamlined process will be in place then.

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2017, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Looks like they're going to put their CCW process online at any time (expected to go live this month):
http://sbso.us/concealed-weapons-permits
That's exactly what my wife was told after she had received her license in November. The retired Sheriff's deputy who was handling the process has since retired from that retirement position and moved out of state. As for GC they did not require anything "special"; Personal Protection or Self Defense appears to satisfy GC.

Last edited by rdtompki; 02-19-2017 at 6:34 PM.. Reason: clarification of GC
Old 03-21-2017, 8:47 PM

Took a really long long time, but I got mine recently. Worth the wait. My recommendation is to apply as soon as you can, and be patient. Great guys working in the sheriff's office, they were always helpful, but they are just overwhelmed by the number of applicants. The sooner you apply, the better.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I moved my timeline, below, up from an earlier post in case anyone pops in at the end of the San Benito County thread.

7/23/15 - Submitted App

8/ 6/15 - Interview

8/1/16 - License in hand

The part time retired deputy is a nice guy. The five month hit in the beginning of the process was the jail's problem and I should have asked the IA to check sooner. I don't expect the one guy doing all the CCW work to check monthly on why a Livescan might not have come back from DOJ. Basically took 6 months from successful Livescan submittal to getting the ok to pick up call.

What was the total cost it sounds as if if could easily go over $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgrunt1833 View Post
How do you put a price on your ability to do what 99.98% of the state is unable to do? I didn't like the price, but I'm now a satisfied ccw holder. Go for it!
Old 03-23-2017, 9:53 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Application is now online.

https://sanbenitoca.permitium.com/ccw/start
Old 05-26-2017, 3:41 AM

The time frame has help a lot with the online process. My wife has applied, (Personal Protection for GC Statement accepted)and got live scan back in (1)week and 2 days !

March 27, 2017- Application submitted online
April 5, 2017- Interview
May 16,2017- 540 question test
August 2, 2017- Psycho exam (scheduled because the doctor is new and needs to take the exam )(Really?!?)
August 14,2017- Permit issued
One thing speeds up and something else is a bottleneck !

Last edited by Moabtj; 08-12-2017 at 6:58 AM..
Old 01-20-2018, 6:20 PM

I see no age requirement listed in the San Benito Sheriff requirements. Does anyone know if the Sheriff issues to those 18-20 years of age?

Before someone tells me you have to be 21 to own a handgun - no, you do not - a parent or grandparent may give a handgun to an 18-20 year old. You must be 21 to purchase a handgun or to be transferred a handgun through an FFL. The only requirements for a parent or grandparent to transfer to a 18-20 year old is that the new owner must not be Prohibited and must have their FSC, and then the new owner files the Intrafamilial transform for with the DoJ.

Second, California PC is silent as to age for a CCW permit holder. California PC only specifies that a minor may be an owner of a handgun.
Old 01-21-2018, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgrunt1833 View Post
I'm in the process now after receiving a letter from the sheriff's dept. 3 weeks ago accepting my good cause to carry.

$20- application fee.
$80- 4 hr. Concealed Carry Course
$2 - DMV Driving Record Printout
$111- Live Scan
$150 ? - Psychological Exam
$180 - Final Application Fee

The retired sheriff handling my app. said he can make this go quickly after submitting all the paper work.

All I need to do now is the 500 something question test at the sheriffs dept. and the Psych. exam.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 01-21-2018 at 6:55 AM..
Old 03-07-2018, 2:58 AM

The sheriff called me yesterday and said I should have my permit soon.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me View Post
All I need to do now is the 500 something question test at the sheriffs dept. and the Psych. exam.
So what was the test like? Did you have to do the Psych exam too?
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 03-10-2018, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
So what was the test like? Did you have to do the Psych exam too?
The 567 question test at the sheriffs dept. took me 1 hour 45 minutes.
It's true or false questions with lots of weird questions and repeating questions asked in a different way.

Also had to go to Cupertino for a Psych. exam.That only took 15 minutes.
The Dr. asked how many guns I have, when I started shooting, if I could kill someone, do I have voices in my head telling what to do,do I have anyone treating me,Does my wife shoot, do I take drugs, how much do I drink and few more.

As of Wed. my permit was approved and all I need to now is pay $180 and schedule an appt. to pick it up!

I started this in January.
Old 03-15-2018, 8:07 PM

i will be sending in my application after my ccw class next month.
Old 03-16-2018, 2:44 AM

I pick up my permit on Tuesday.
Old 03-16-2018, 4:59 AM

Always good to have more of use about.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:37 AM

If I were to apply today or within a week how long till I actually have my permit? I know Fresno has a fast turn around time right now.
Old 03-31-2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR18 View Post
If I were to apply today or within a week how long till I actually have my permit? I know Fresno has a fast turn around time right now.
Took me about 2 1/2 months.

I most likely could have got it quicker if I scheduled the written phyc. test and done the live scan sooner.
Its hard to do some of this stuff if you have to work!