Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default Andersen Arms 6.5 Grendel 20" Barrel

So I've decided I want to convert one of my rifles over to 6.5g and Andersen is the go to for 6.5g uppers and barrels.
I know that 20" is the preferred length for 6.5g./

Problem is AA doesn't sell the 20" Barrel by themselves. They do have a 16" LIghtweight barrel right now for sale. Pretty decent prove too.

Seeing as how my rifle is already cerakoted and all I really need is the barrel and bolt, how can I manage to get just the 20" barrel? are there other options I am not aware of? I know Odin works is ok but AA is supposed to be much better.

Midway has a 24" Odin works barrel. Why doesn't AA Sell them? Is there someone I can talk to ? there isn't even an email option on their website. 16" Just isn't long enough - or is it?

I'm trying to get a 20" 1/9 twist fluted barrel and I'm just hitting walls everywhere. Any one have any suggestions for a " Fluted 1/9 twist 6.5 g barrel? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by etwinam; 01-14-2017 at 3:18 PM..
Old 01-14-2017, 3:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://www.jsesurplus.com/barrels65.aspx
Old 01-14-2017, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome, Thanks. If only they had 1/9 twist. all the reviews say 1/8 is bad. Any experience with that?
Old 01-14-2017, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

ar15performance.com has had them in the past.

You can always buy a blank, have it chambered, profiled, cut, and an extension put on.
Old 01-14-2017, 4:13 PM

I built an upper last year with a Black Hole Weaponry Barrel and matching bolt.
Shoots sub MOA all day long.
Old 01-14-2017, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Last year I was interested but just too many projects. Be careful because there are two different bolts for this caliber. Type 1,and type 2. I would buy a barrel with matching bolt.
Old 01-14-2017, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx03 View Post
I built an upper last year with a Black Hole Weaponry Barrel and matching bolt.
Shoots sub MOA all day long.
Just all day long? Lame. If I were you I'd take it back for something that shoots sub MOA all day AND all night long; but that's just me.
Old 01-14-2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Just all day long? Lame. If I were you I'd take it back for something that shoots sub MOA all day AND all night long; but that's just me.
Can't shoot at night anymore, had to remove my flash hider so now I only shoot during the day. The muzzle flash blinds me and throws my groups off.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
Awesome, Thanks. If only they had 1/9 twist. all the reviews say 1/8 is bad. Any experience with that?
Bill Alexander was quoted saying that 20" and longer operate better with slower twist (1:9) and the 18" and shorter benefit from the extra rotation for stability out of the shorter barrel. This was not their original production assumption, after all of their testing, the 1:9 operated better from the long barrels, so thats the direction he went.

I followed bills advice, I wanted an 18:, so went 1:8. 20"+ though, I would assume 1:9 would be preferred...
Old 01-17-2017, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus924 View Post
Bill Alexander was quoted saying that 20" and longer operate better with slower twist (1:9) and the 18" and shorter benefit from the extra rotation for stability out of the shorter barrel. This was not their original production assumption, after all of their testing, the 1:9 operated better from the long barrels, so thats the direction he went.

I followed bills advice, I wanted an 18:, so went 1:8. 20"+ though, I would assume 1:9 would be preferred...

Thank you. That's exactly what I read as well. I can find 1/8.5 so I'm hoping that's close enough to 1/9. They are surprisingly hard to find. I don't want to have to buy a whole upper from as then pice it out just to get the barrel.
Old 01-17-2017, 2:26 PM

You will probably be fine with 1:8. I went with a 264LBC instead of a 6.5 Grendel, and have a BHW barrel I have yet to fire (waiting on bolt)

before you commit to anything, may be worth a read... their P3 rifling has mixed opinions, but everything I have read leads to good accuracy from their barrels...

http://columbiariverarms.com/product...-configurable/

may not be the direction you want to go, but they also do custom orders of length, twist and fluting to your desire...
Closed Thread