Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2016, 6:04 AM

Default Gun friendly optometrists in San Diego?

I need to fix my aging eyes for pistol shooting. Any good optometrists in San Diego can you guys recommend? I think I probably need to bring a toy handgun to his/her office so that the focal point can be measured correctly.
Old 11-17-2016, 6:11 AM

Optom Eyes in Mission Valley. Let them know you would like to bring a handgun in to get the front sight measurement. When you bring it in, make sure it's in a locked case and unloaded.
Old 11-17-2016, 8:24 AM

Thanks for the info. I was only thinking about bringing a real size obvious toy gun. A locked case does seem to be a good idea. I think I'll keep the gun in my trunk and ask the doc first.
Old 11-18-2016, 5:17 PM

Dr. Dennis Iwamoto is an optometrist in Mira Mesa:

http://www.drivisioncare.com/location.html

He's a shooter and understands correction for shooting sports.
Old 11-18-2016, 5:34 PM

Dang. This is what I was looking for when getting glasses. The guy just didn't understand when I told him I can't focus on the front sight when wearing glasses (both eyes open). No glasses no problem, but fuzzy. I'll have to keep this in mind for my next visit. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2016, 2:29 AM

I wear bifocal lenses with a transition. I brought my target pistol (with prior notice) to my optometrist and she had the lenses made with a wider transition so that I could find the sweet spot that let me focus on the front sight. I am in the Sacramento area so the name would not help.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-28-2016, 3:43 PM

Werner Optometry. Sent you a PM also.
Old 11-28-2016, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

My step dad is a gun guy and an optometrist in Carlsbad. Pm me for info
Old 03-18-2017, 4:08 PM

I went to Dr. Iwamoto. It wasn't any different than going to a regular optometrist. I was very specific on why I wanted to visit his office, yet he still asked me what I was hoping to gain by coming to his office. I told him I found him via referral from this website which he was happy to hear. I explained I wanted to speak to an optometrist who has experience shooting which means the will know where to place the reading portion of my glasses. I felt like I had to tell him how to make the glasses which should not have been the case. It turns out he hasn't shot since college and "that was a long time ago". Those were his words exactly. I'm good at explaining what I need and I definitely wouldn't recommend him to someone looking for a shooter friendly optometrist. All I got out of this visit was an eye exam and some glasses which I needed anyway but I could have gotten that from my previous optometrist.
Old 03-18-2017, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

^^^^^ Hmmmmm......

I went to Dr. "I" for the same reasons and had a completely different experience. Not only did he measure my eyes for a shooting-specific set of lenses, he also got out a plastic toy gun and took some measurements with a tape measure and adjusted the focal length accordingly.

We also discussed shooting at various local ranges, the volunteer RSO program at SBR&G, and reloading-he uses Dillon and RCBS presses. Sure didn't seem like I was talking to someone who hasn't shot since college...

Did you shower and use deodorant before you went?
Old 03-20-2017, 9:36 PM

Yes, I showered and put on deodorant. He didn't pull out a toy gun and he didn't even do the measurements. He did the eye exam and then I went to one of the other girls who actually did the measurements so that she could mark the glasses. After reading the recommendations from here, I expected to have the experience you just explained. I guess I expected too much. I have no reason to come here and tell anyone a mistruth or fabricate anything.
Old 03-21-2017, 8:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Buy a scope, that solved my eye issues.
Old 04-07-2017, 2:45 PM

San Diego County Gun Owners now has a business directory for pro Second Amendment businesses who are members of SDCGO.

Check it out:
http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/business-directory/