Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:18 PM

Default 8/17 San Jose Zouaves Club Match (New Shooters Welcome!)

San Jose Zouaves is a high-power rifle club with the aim of encouraging organized rifle competition among civilian shooters with an emphasis on safety, fundamental marksmanship, firearms knowledge, and good sportsmanship.

-----------

On the third Saturday of the month (The next one is August 17th), the club holds a competition for members, or anyone who plans to become a member that day. The Club Match Day is a 200 yard competition with no safety training beforehand, though we usually talk a bit of Club business first. The event is scored, and it can be taken seriously, or shot for fun or to practice. Plus there are some great fellow enthusiasts to socialize with.

Special Matches: Additionally, some Third Saturdays (like this one) we host a second match after the regular one. These special matches offer a change of pace, and a chance to test your skills. It's the same entry price if you attend one or both of the matches!

To Join The Club: Sign up at the match and pay a one time per year $40 fee that covers our insurance coverage of you through December 31st. You still have to pay the $20 range fee that goes to the Field Sports Park. So the first time it's $60, but every match for the rest of the year is $20.

Club Match Course of Fire:
Quote:
Attendees may choose one of the following four courses of fire.

COF 1) 50 shot - 10 slow standing, 10 rapid sitting, 10 rapid prone, 20 slow prone
COF 2) 50 shot - 20 slow standing, 10 rapid sitting, 10 rapid prone, 10 slow prone
COF 3) 80 shot - 20 slow standing, 10 rapid sitting (x2), 10 rapid prone (x2), 20 slow prone
COF 4) 40 shot - 20 slow prone (x2)

There is a 5 minute session at the beginning for sighters.
More info: CMP Match Information.

When: August 17th, 8:00am.

Where: Santa Clara Field Sports Park (Metcalf) 200 yard range. Here's a map for parking and meeting

Cost: $40 IF you're not a Club Member yet. Plus the $20 range fee, plus appropriate ammo if you are borrowing one of our rifles. 60 rounds for the Club Match is the suggested minimum for the normal course of fire. I usually bring 100 "just in case".

Guests: Members (or people joining that day) may bring guests to shoot with us. The guest pays the $20 fee, but the host must have shot with us at least once before, be a member or be joining, and vouches for the guest's ability to shoot safely.

Rifles: Most people bring their own, but Club Rifles can be made available if you contact us in advance and bring the appropriate ammo. Anything that is allowed on the Santa Clara range is welcome. Rifle classification rules are in this FAQ.

What to bring: Pants and closed toe shoes are recommended. Long sleeves and sunscreen can be handy, but the firing line is covered. Natural breaks come up while targets are swapped out so bring water and a snack. If you have ear and eye protection, and a shooting mat bring them along, but we have loaners if you don't.

There's a General FAQ here with more info.

-----------

It's a fun time, and you not only get to meet and shoot with other Bay Area rifle enthusiasts, but it is also a great opportunity to work on your long range skills.

If you're interested in attending, feel free to PM me, check out our website, or e-mail us at sjzouaves@gmail.com with any questions

See you on the range!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:32 AM

Hello,

Late for 8/17, but interested to attend the next one (9/21?) if match is being held. Has experience with 50-80 highpower COF in Richmond with a vintage 1903-A3, I'd like to do the same here - do I need to participate first Saturday match first?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2019, 9:41 AM

Hey there! You don't have to attend the first Saturday though I'd recommend it if you can make it as a general rule of thumb.

The biggest hurdle with bolt actions is the 10 shots in 60 seconds round. I think it's a good challenge (or practice if you've done it before). Some who haven't shot static competitions before may not use the prep period to get into position, dry fire, and have everything ready to go, and use that time instead to rest.

Overall, it's not super crazy, though, and if you have any questions you can definitely ask now or during the match. We allow alibi shots, so if something happens, speak up!

Also, that third Saturday, September 21st, we'll be holding a Special Match after the regular match if you have a 22lr rifle to bring along for some 200 yard shooting.

Hope to see ya there!
Old 08-22-2019, 2:33 PM

22lr for 200??? wow thats probably as challenging as 1000 f class without even reloading. 60 sec 10 shots while cycling bolts is precisely why I do it and am having a lot of fun doing it. I come from prone shooting so other positions are relatively new to me. I will show up on 9/21 and participate in the regular match then. Thank you!

Cheers,
Maryo