Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-25-2015, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
It's time to shutdown the aqueduct, the water that is no longer shipped to LA and SoCal can be used for agriculture, the stupid delta smelt gets to live, and SoCal will be allowed to return to its natural desert state.
That could be getting a test run this year. According to what I read a few days ago, DWR won't be shipping any Shasta or Oroville water south this year. San Luis Reservoir only.

Of course, what they SAY, and what they DO, may be two entirely different things.
Old 03-25-2015, 8:36 PM

At work I was pitching a company from Europe that is coming to America. They fully intended on setting up shop here in California until the one year left of water report came out. They decided not to move their company here and instead when back east partially due to the lack of water.

Plus, all around south OC the home builders are adding new homes on every square inch of open land. Where's the water coming to supply these new residents?
Old 03-25-2015, 8:57 PM

The Columbia is already regulated for flow to boost salmon smolt survival, salmon fishing for the native tribes and power generation. We won't be tapping it. Ag in CA uses a lot of water, un-treated water. The early farmers were also the first builders of the levee system, so they were granted early water rights at lower prices. Part of the problem is illogical regulations. The delta smelt never had the levee system as a habitat until we created it. We keep water levels high in an artificial environment. We still have full swimming pools, government buildings have lush landscaping, the wealthiest still use more water in a day on their gardens than I use all month. Every golf course will still be green. See any problems with all of that? We waste water.
Old 03-25-2015, 9:03 PM
Banned

A city planner you aint. You never offer solutions only complaints.

Agricultural

In an average year, about 40% of California's water is used for agricultural purposes.

Big Ag could use less water if they wanted to.

It is projected that California’s population will be almost 50 million people in the year 2020.[63] If the prediction comes true and there is no action to increase the water supply, the difference between water demand and supply would be between 2,000,000 and 6,000,000 acre feet (

http://cis.org/southwest-water-population-growth

You say the city dwellers use a fraction of AG but the AG is grown for the city dwellers. Something you overlooked.

You keep ranting on about big ag using all the water. Well lets get our facts straight. Food grows where water flows. No water no food. What are all your illegals going to eat if there is no food grown???

Second fact---> People eat crops and meat. Less people less crops and meat need to be grown and LESS WATER HAS TO BE USED! Get rid of the ILLEGALS and limit growth and less food and crops need to be grown. CA can manage its water just fine with LESS PEOPLE. Its a population problem not a water problem. When the population and growth are NOT MANAGED and allowed to go nuts then the state with piss poor managemnt by people like you runs out of water.

Less people, less water usage, storage lasts longer, drouts can be planned for. Bam problem solved!

STOP building, Stop begging for illegals to come in and get EBT cards. Stop selling our crops overseas. Grow local! Boot out the illegals and grow less food and meat to feed them.

And for Gods sake doubling the population in the next 7-10yrs is the single worst thing that can happen to a state that cannot supply water to a doubled population. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
4 years of drought and the state and water districts are not managing their water ?. Top Agriculture state in the nation that just happens to be a desert, says you don't have a clue about water management

If it doesn't rain or snow there is nothing to manage. A farmer or rancher you ain't.

Last edited by johnjacobschmidt; 03-25-2015 at 9:36 PM..
Old 03-26-2015, 5:12 AM

Regulate the population, that is your solution, get rid of illegals and ebt cards, and don't build anything.

I'm glad to see that you gave this some real thought.

Where should we send them, I vote Idaho, lots of room and water up there.

The Calguns brain trust hard at work again.
Old 03-26-2015, 6:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Regulate the population, that is your solution, get rid of illegals and ebt cards, and don't build anything.

Illegals get shipped to Mexico but I agree the EBTs should get sent to Idaho. Some of them could help johnjacob correctly redo his septic and cistern installations and then stay on to help build his house. By that time they will seem like part of the family and he should pay for building another house on his land for them to stay in.
Old 03-26-2015, 7:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The solution is easy, stop having kids and curtail immigration. LA is the perfect example of allowing uncontrolled population growth without any infrastructure to hold it.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 AM
In Memoriam

Well, in a fight for water, I think Arizona will win and be keeping the Colorado River for ourselves. We've got our own farms to look after;

Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
Not a chance, the train will be used to fast track foreign invaders from southern california to northern california.
The police state called free people walking across imaginary lines, "invaders". Lol

Arrest them for walking incorrectly!
Old 03-26-2015, 3:15 PM
Banned

Quote:

You proved my point....argue but no solution. And your solution is??????????
Old 03-26-2015, 3:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
Illegals get shipped to Mexico but I agree the EBTs should get sent to Idaho. Some of them could help johnjacob correctly redo his septic and cistern installations and then stay on to help build his house. By that time they will seem like part of the family and he should pay for building another house on his land for them to stay in.
As I have explained both tanks had defects and leaked. Its like you two keep some twisted score card to harrass people later on.

This forum needs to change its name to AG (Argue guns).
Old 03-26-2015, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacobschmidt View Post
Anyone planning to stay in CA should read that article, it's long but tons of history and data. It's also from 2010 so much of the predictions are now fact.

It should be titled "the hubris of humans" because as a species we probably spend about 50% of our time fixing problems we create.

From the article -

Quote:
As the population clock ticks on United States growth, we should remember congresswoman and civil rights leader Barbara Jordan’s admonition, “It is both a right and a responsibility of a democratic society to manage immigration so that it serves the national interest.”
Today that quote would read "serves the democratic national interest"

In the desert regions - 29 palms and Palm Springs - from the article.

Quote:
At Palm Springs, Calif., the ground has subsided over a foot due to ground water removal.
Noted in the article that there are 17 diversions from the upper colorado into the Atlantic watershed - brilliant, make sure that water gets into the mississippi river or the Rio Grande - which like the Colorado rarely makes it into the ocean it once was destined for.

Americans herded into cities like tax sheep.
Old 03-26-2015, 5:07 PM

Quote:
As I have explained both tanks had defects and leaked. Its like you two keep some twisted score card to harrass people later on.

This forum needs to change its name to AG (Argue guns).
Maybe I should have mentioned this a couple years back, but when you respond to someone who is yanking your chain you double the likelihood of future chain yanking.

I think it was named after Richard Nixon, it's called "Dick's Law".

Old 03-26-2015, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
Turn the old power plants into desalinization plants, suck the water out of the ocean that many say is rising uncontrollably anyways and use the water to sustain until the rains return.
We can build 100 state of the art desalination plants for the price of one high speed rail boondoggle.
Old 03-26-2015, 6:09 PM
Banned

Is she hot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRATiiriPW4
Old 03-26-2015, 6:24 PM
Banned

Come on, admit it, you went there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuj6_SxlHZI
Old 03-26-2015, 6:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
In the desert regions - 29 palms and Palm Springs - from the article.
Sorry you got it wrong. 29 Palms is over 45 miles from Palm Springs and we are NOT on the same aquifer nor in danger of depleting ours.

Unlike Palm Springs we are not pulling water out of ours in the prodigious amounts needed to support the MULTITUDE of golf courses and huge housing developments with green belts, that the Palm Springs/Cathedral City/Rancho Mirage/Palm Desert metropolitan area is covered with.

Also due to a fault line the Marine Base is sitting on it's own aquifer which would provide a back up supply in dire circumstances.
Old 03-26-2015, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixoclockhold View Post
She's smart - I find that hot, but she's probably a racist. /sarcasm
Old 03-26-2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry you got it wrong. 29 Palms is over 45 miles from Palm Springs and we are NOT on the same aquifer nor in danger of depleting ours.

Unlike Palm Springs we are not pulling water out of ours in the prodigious amounts needed to support the MULTITUDE of golf courses and huge housing developments with green belts, that the Palm Springs/Cathedral City/Rancho Mirage/Palm Desert metropolitan area is covered with.

Also due to a fault line the Marine Base is sitting on it's own aquifer which would provide a back up supply in dire circumstances.
Excellent - I'm not aware of the geography out in that end of the desert. I'm sure between the politics of CA water grabs and a fault near an aquifer it's unlikely 29 Palms will have water issues in the future.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Lake Mead is dropping fast. Predicted to be 1072' above sea level by June.

http://www.missionscuba.com/lake-mea...elevation.html

Nice chart of historical water levels.

The B29 I want to dive on was 300' below the surface just a few years ago and now barely 100' below.

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com...s/B29/B29.html

I believe at 1075' the really Western water crisis starts.

The Colorado River is over allocated and the States below Lake Mead are in for a rude awakening.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 03-27-2015, 1:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Interesting that Pyramid Lake on the Grapevine was recently removed from this daily conditions page.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/res...phsMain.action

Of course, it always showed as 99% full with water pumped from the aqueduct, ready to refill Castaic and Perris.

Maybe the always-full reservoir when others around the state are at fractional capacity was perceived as a PR liability?

Anyone drive the Grapevine today? How is Pyramid looking? I'd wager it looks 'full'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
The B29 I want to dive on was 300' below the surface just a few years ago and now barely 100' below.

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com...s/B29/B29.html
Hell, in a year or so, we can walk to it.

That must have been a heck of a ride for those guys on that day. On a secret mission developing missile guidance technology, buzzing Lake Mead. Then, BAM!, you're getting wet. Would love to have been a fly on the bulkhead, I'll bet some choice words were uttered.

Last edited by Dutch3; 03-27-2015 at 1:46 PM..
Old 03-31-2015, 8:05 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Maybe some hope.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...-rain/44615205

"A significant change in the weather pattern is anticipated for much of the United States during the middle of April.
The pattern change could bring some rain and cooler conditions to California and the Southwest, snow for the high country of the Sierra Nevada and Rockies and colder weather for Alaska, according to AccuWeather long-range meteorologists.

According to AccuWeather Meteorologist Ben Noll, "There is increasing confidence in the arrival of a Pacific storm late next week, which can bring meaningful rains especially to central and northern California with some rain reaching as far south as Southern California."
The rainfall may extend beyond one storm. From mid-April into May, multiple storms loaded with moisture have the potential to track from the Southwest to the Deep South."
Old 04-01-2015, 12:52 PM

Day late and a dollar short.

WSJ

California Gov. Jerry Brown ordered unprecedented mandatory water cuts across the Golden State after the latest measurements show the state's mountain snowpack, which accounts for roughly a third of California's water supply, has shrunk to a record low of 5% of normal for this time of year.

The Democratic governor directed the State Water Resources Control Board to implement mandatory water reductions of 25%.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 04-03-2015, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

California is the land of earthquakes and idiots.
Old 04-04-2015, 6:48 PM

L.A. overdue for a couple more water main breaks which flood streets and parking garages.

I think 1 of the big things which could be the "straw which broke the camels back" is a quake- break up a few key water lines and we can be in for some serious doodoo.

Side note- Read a story in which well users in Danville were running dry and the local water district is/will be turning them away.

http://www.mercurynews.com/my-town/c...ource=infinite
Old 04-04-2015, 7:07 PM

saw at a park today 2:45 all sprinklers where on flooding out people who had the tables and a party going on

not sure even why they would be on in the middle of the day anyways you would think they come on at night
but to ruin that party and after we all must conserve water
Old 04-04-2015, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

I have a family member in PR That has his own bottle water company and making a killing doing it. The houses next to me all have there water going 3 times a day. people don't seem to care about having no water soon
Old 04-05-2015, 10:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

what I find funny is Jerry Brown was governor when we had the last major drought and what he do to ensure the next drought wouldn't be so bad. NOTHING like many of California politicians.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
what I find funny is Jerry Brown was governor when we had the last major drought and what he do to ensure the next drought wouldn't be so bad. NOTHING like many of California politicians.
God punishing CA voters for being stupid....twice!
Old 04-06-2015, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
Anyone planning to stay in CA should read that article, it's long but tons of history and data. It's also from 2010 so much of the predictions are now fact.
Quote:
The Southwest has been hit by a prolonged drought, although one of far less severity than others common to the region in the past. Global warming likely will increase the frequency and severity of droughts.
Climb back in your hole troll. If you really believe anthropogenic global warming is fact, you belong in a looney bin. Read it and this was at the front of the article. Hard to get past something called fact that is far from it

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 04-06-2015, 6:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Pretty much this. If gov was doing its job correctly, they would've planned for future droughts. Instead of proactive they are reactive. It's all by design though. Government loves to manage crisis.

Old 04-06-2015, 6:53 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The national debt and climate change can be used interchangeably, depending on which party you follow.

If you're a Democrat: Oh, come on, man, that national debt ain't real and certainly not as bad as you say it is. Let's leave it for the kids.
But don't you dare add any more carbon into the atmosphere!

If you're a Republican: Oh, come on, man, that climate change ain't real and certainly not as bad as you say it is. Let's leave it for the kids.
But don't you dare add another dollar onto the national debt!
Old 04-06-2015, 7:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSet View Post
The national debt and climate change can be used interchangeably, depending on which party you follow.

If you're a Democrat: Oh, come on, man, that national debt ain't real and certainly not as bad as you say it is. Let's leave it for the kids.
But don't you dare add any more carbon into the atmosphere!

If you're a Republican: Oh, come on, man, that climate change ain't real and certainly not as bad as you say it is. Let's leave it for the kids.
But don't you dare add another dollar onto the national debt!
Except that we can actually do something about the National Debt while the Earth's climate is GOING to continue to change whether people are on the planet or not and there's NOTHING we can do to stop it.
Old 04-06-2015, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Except that we can actually do something about the National Debt while the Earth's climate is GOING to continue to change whether people are on the planet or not and there's NOTHING we can do to stop it.
This

Old 04-06-2015, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
Climb back in your hole troll. If you really believe anthropogenic global warming is fact, you belong in a looney bin. Read it and this was at the front of the article. Hard to get past something called fact that is far from it
Excellent - almost 15k words in that article, and you found a sentence which made you stop right there and call me a troll. Guys like you are the reason my ignore list is empty, too much entertainment to be had from the morons who can't discuss a topic without calling names.

For the record I don't believe in anthropogenic global warming, and as I mentioned there was lots of history and data in the article, not that I thought the opinions were valid.
Old 04-06-2015, 5:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
God punishing CA voters for being stupid....twice!
I was too young the first time. didn't vote for him either times he ran.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-12-2015, 6:01 AM
Banned

One gallon of water to grow a single almond.

I think I will leave the water running brushing the teeth from now on. /sarc

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...evious-records

video
Old 04-13-2015, 4:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixoclockhold View Post
One gallon of water to grow a single almond.
How much water is used during the growing/production of a single orange?
13.8 gallons

http://www.ecotechwater.com/Company/watertrivia.html
Old 04-13-2015, 6:56 AM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

Actually, alfalfa is a bigger culprit. Almonds are at least a good, dense source of calories. Alfalfa uses far more water and is predominantly shipped overseas.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
No
But continuing to live there IS your choice.
This is really funny......

A guy on a gun forum in the hippy liberal compound of sf bay- Cali..... saying people in so cal should move because the drought.

....Shouldnt you move to get away from those stupid stinky dirty hippies? Go to a free state as a gun owner?

But alas... this is calguns.... we eat our own.