Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Shooting steel?

I was wondering if anyone is shooting steel in the SF bay area? I know both Folsom and Mariposa shoot it on the second Sunday of the month (too bad they're both on the same day)...is there anywhere else? If not, how about a place to practice shooting from a holster?

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by kmca; 10-23-2005 at 10:07 AM..
Old 10-27-2005, 11:49 AM

I've shot a steel match in Norco and it was a blast. I didn't realize there was a steel match up in Mariposa. I'll have to take a drive up there to see what they have going on. I'm not aware of anything near the Bay area. I haven't lived up there in a long time.
Old 10-27-2005, 4:27 PM

Scarman,
I'm sure you'll be very welcome, there's a great bunch of guys up there. The match usually starts around 9:30 or 10:00, I'm not sure what happens when it rains though. If you're familiar with the club, there are no facilities, so bring your own water. After the match, we usually get together and get lunch at this great little diner. Hope to see you there.

Keith

p.s. Watch your speed on 140, they just got a bunch of new highway patrol officers.
Old 11-25-2005, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Default shooting steel...

There is supposed to be a steel match in Richmond on Jan 22nd. The last time we had a steel match there was June of this year. I shot 22 and revolver and had a good time. I'l probably shoot 22 again and maybe one other division. Come on out or check out the Richmond Hotshots page though other than there will be a steel match, there isn't too much other info.

Vince
Old 11-25-2005, 3:19 PM

The steel match on the 22nd is on my calendar.
I have noticed that there is a Richmond Hotshot's orientation required for shooting USPSA, are there any requirments to shoot steel challenge?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 11-25-2005, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Default Shooting steel...

Um, not that I'm aware of. Since you are pretty much standing in one place and shooting I don't think there are requirements for it, but I can ask. The only real requirements are that you have a holster that covers the trigger guard for centerfires, and if you shoot a 22, you start at low ready. As far as I know, IPSC equipment is allowed, but steel challenge has some different rules that I'm unclear on. The range is a cold range, so you can only handle the gun in the safe area to put it on and take it off, if centerfire, or at the line under the command of a range officer if a 22. I've seen cowboy shooters walk up with a double rig, and if extra shots are needed beyond 6, they holster the empty one and draw the second gun.

Vince
Old 11-26-2005, 10:37 AM

The real Steel Challenge and what local clubs run are a little different. You are going to need a holster though many clubs let you start .22 pistols from low ready. IPSC gear is good to go and divisions are broken into open and limited so race holsters are good to go too. They also have a IDPA class so you can run IDPA type equipment.

Steel Challenge is good in that it is the same stages every time so you can guage when you are getting better. If you shoot a 114 last year and are consistantly getting in the low 100's you are getting quicker. The draw is very important as you do 4-5 of them per stage. So is calling your shots, and shooting with a cadence.

We are fortunate in So cal as we have several clubs that run a monthly steel challenge as well as the run and gun ipsc style steel matches.
Old 11-28-2005, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Default Steel in Richmond?

Ok, I got come clarification. If you've never had any competition experience, Richmond Hotshots would like you to take the new shooter orientation class for competitive shooters. It is slanted towards IPSC/USPSA shooting, but is applicable to ICORE, Steel, IDPA, GSSF, etc. Anything where drawing from a holster safely is stressed.

Bill is a good guy to learn from. He will probably have some RO's from the club helping him out.

Vince