Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 11-08-2013, 4:40 PM

Default How young to handle handgun in USFS land?

Hello there.
Are there any extra measures I can take, so I can be prepared if stopped by a USFS law enforcement official, when I take my 13yr old son to a US Forest Service land to target shoot a handgun? My handgun is CA legal, and I am not prohibited by law from owning a handgun. My son has no outstanding warrants as well .

I am new to gun-ownership.

Thanks,
nelson
Old 11-08-2013, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

You are completely fine. He can shoot it and handle all he wants.
Old 11-12-2013, 5:38 PM

I taught my then 4 yr old, now 5 to shoot with a ruger mk3. She still needs my help to hold it though. She didnt really partake to the savage rascal yet.
As for handling, no I wouldnt let her yet, then again, there are plenty of adults I wouldnt be around with a loaded gun either.
Responsibility isnt defined to an age is it?
Old 11-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

12 years is the lower limit to shoot handguns at Chabot so you can get range time there for practice (presuming that is closer than USFS destination).

Old enough to operate the weapon old enough to learn proper safety, handling and mechanics.

Parents are naturally prone to over estimate the capabilities of their progeny. Just be aware of that tendency and try to be scrupulously objective in assessing their abilities and levels of readyness. No way my 6 y.o. is ready ... as much as I'd like him to be.

In interpreting this text, we are guided by the principle that “[t]he Constitution was written to be understood by the voters; its words and phrases were used in their normal and ordinary as distinguished from technical meaning.” United States v. Sprague, 282 U. S. 716, 731 (1931) -Scalia majority opinion in Heller
Old 11-16-2013, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

13 is absolutely fine. most places recommend for kids to wait until at least 10, but I think anything after 5 is ok. 5 and under is a very special developmental time for kids where they are super impressionable and absorbant to experiences which could be a good or bad thing depending on how they interpret that experience. but 13yrs old? good to go!
Old 11-17-2013, 5:31 PM

All the USFS land in my area is still closed for fire season. Make sure you check restrictions so you don't get a ticket. Is there any BLM land in your area?

Yesterday a 10 yr old girl shot my .44 mag with a 9 inch barrel using .44 special loads...... you should have seen the grin on her face when she finished all 6 shots.