Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 2:13 PM

Looking forward to my lesson with Mike from OCIR. Lol, he called me 'young lady' on the phone, so he already won me over

Not that I'm old, mind you

Purpleguns, I wonder if more women came out of the woodworks if more stores employed females. You're lucky!

Last edited by snap-dragon; 02-18-2013 at 6:31 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikeblues7 View Post
Not a women, but oddly enough I have taken the Women on Target class. It was great. The thing I liked about it most was the in-class tutorial on general gun knowledge. You may be surprised what you do know, and at the same time what you do not. The in-class portion gets you beyond most people you see at the range in terms of what parts of the firearm are which, brands, what a pistol really is, and what a bullet really is.
One more tip that I don't know if it was mentioned; I find that 1/3 of gun store employees don't know as much about guns as they let on. Because of these few people, it is hard to trust ANY gun store employee.
You will find that there are plenty of women shooters.
I suppose in the end this business is like any other. You get employees who care and then you get the ones where you wonder how they got the job.

And yes, it is a bit funny that you took the women's class. But why not?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM

Woohoo! That was great! I just came back from my private lesson at OCIR with Mike. It couldn't have gone better, both in terms of the instructions and the results.

I definitely preferred the 9mm (Glock 17) and not just because my first shot with it was a perfect bull's eye. I had a bit of trouble loading the magazines of the 40 and 45mm after 5 of 6 rounds because of old volleyball injuries in my thumbs. 9mm was ok.

Definitely looking forward to going back. The lesson comes with a 30 day pass and free rentals, and I plan on taking full advantage of it
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-dragon View Post
Woohoo! That was great! I just came back from my private lesson at OCIR with Mike. It couldn't have gone better, both in terms of the instructions and the results.

I definitely preferred the 9mm (Glock 17) and not just because my first shot with it was a perfect bull's eye. I had a bit of trouble loading the magazines of the 40 and 45mm after 5 of 6 rounds because of old volleyball injuries in my thumbs. 9mm was ok.

Definitely looking forward to going back. The lesson comes with a 30 day pass and free rentals, and I plan on taking full advantage of it

Good for you! The Glock 17 is a great gun and I'm glad you had a successful lesson.

Loading mags is tough on the fingers after a while - especially after several hundred rounds!! I use the Butler Creek UpLULA loader and it was probably the best accessory I ever bought! Here it is: http://www.butlercreek.com/products/...ol_loader.html

BK
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM

Folks, the NRA Women on Target is a great way to start. Calguns is working on sponsoring a WOT in San Diego in the near future. That will be great and I'll post more when I know it.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM

BK, I think I'll get one of these asap if they are allowed on the ranges

Bonnie, do they ever have it in OC? I didn't see it on the list. Otherwise I could always make the trip down to SD if it's not too far south.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 PM

I'm new to guns, too...less than a year.

When I first started out, even with my husband, I was treated differently than men.

HOWEVER, things are different for me now...

What I learned when I started looking is that if I didn't feel comfortable with the men behind the counter, I just kept asking questions, nicely, and I thanked them for helping me...I got a positive response from that. I just kept asking "What do you think..." and I got what they thought, and I learned so much.

I also kept reading in the forums, and looked for all opinions...with that information, I started forming my own opinions.

The other thing I did was look for stores where women were working, and I found them. I asked even more questions then.

Now, when I open my mouth, I get respect and response, because I know what I'm talking about, and I can converse with the best of them...

Just keep looking for people who are approachable, and you'll find them. Every store I go into now, I don't have a problem at all.

I also started out with two private classes. I learned so much during those classes, and now I'm off and running.

You'll get a lot of feedback about which gun to buy...you are the only one who needs to make the decision!

Here's what I'd suggest:

1) Hold all the brands. Listen to how they sound when you move the slide. Feel how the grip feels. No one brand is best. The only BEST brand is the one you like. Personally, I like Ruger, Sig, Kimber, Springfield, and S&W. Each of the brands has a nice gun. Some gals I've met like Glock and CZ, but they weren't for me, and that's ok.

2) Don't let people tell you that 1911 is better or worse that the non-1911. I now have both, and I love both.

3) Go to a range and rent. Rent any and all guns that you are interested in. Shoot all the calibers. Shoot semi and revolver. That is the only way you'll know. You can rent in Oceanside at Ironsights, or Oaktree in Newhall. I've been to both, and I really like both places. The guys at both places do not talk down to women.

4) When I started I bought the type of gun magazine that listed all the top brands. I looked at them all and compared all the features. But since you're in California, like me, you have to be careful before you get your heart set on one that is not CA approved.

5) When it was all said and done for me, I settled on the following:
- .22 - Ruger and Sig Mosquito. Both are different. It depends on the type of handle you like.
- .38/.357 S&W 686+ Revolver...just to have one.
- 9 mm - Ruger SR9c - I got the compact for something smaller
- .40 - Ruger SR40 - I really like the 40 cal. You'll be surprised.
- .45 - You have much to choose from. You can't go wrong with Sig or Ruger, or any of the other top brands.

Personally, as a women, I like how the Ruger feels in my hand. But when you start meeting other women, you'll see that they are all carrying something different: Glock, Kimber, CZ, Sig, etc.

Have fun with this journey. Don't let the intimidation hamper your excitement. Just keep in mind that people all have a story, and if they are intimidating or mean, it's on them, not you. You don't have to buy from them.

Buy from the guy and the store that is nice to you...period!

I have three stores I go to now. At one, only one guy takes care of me with my questions. At another, a gal works there and she's great. At the third, all the guys know me, AND they remember that I'm the one who bought the 1911 Sig TTT with the beautiful burl wood grip (for which they are all jealous).

Just have fun.

When you get the gun make and model thing down, have fun with the ammo learning curve (he he)!!!!

If you need more help, let me know (rugersigkimber@yahoo.com).
Old 02-18-2013, 1:53 PM

Though I appreciate we should all learn to load our magazines by hand -- and I do practice -- I am VERY fond of my UpLULA. Definitely recommend getting one.
Old 02-18-2013, 2:48 PM

Brenda, that is some excellent advice. Personally I always love learning something new, and I feel like I'm really making progress here The internet is such an amazing tool with the forums and Youtube. In the end I agree nothing beats trying out the handguns, but just like with cars and washing machines, knowing what others think is invaluable.

Uplula is on the way

Oh, and my daughter wants to come with me to the range next time. I don't think so!!! I see a lesson with Mike in her future though
Old 02-18-2013, 3:34 PM

Welcome snap-dragon. Guy talking here, so consider the source, but you've come to the right place.

You'll find that serious shooters usually have no bias towards women. Women tend to pick up shooting much quicker than most men do. Some of the best pistol shooters I have ever seen are women.

I can't pretend to know what in store bias is like. But I can say, as a man, if you don't know exactly what you are looking for/have your card out (especially in the current panic environment) it's very hard to get attention at a store. Gun stores weren't exactly known for excellent customer service (more like hobby shop vibe) before the panic. Things are much worse now. Most stores have customer service bad enough to make you never shop there if you were shopping for anything other than a firearm, and there were more retail options. Gun stores are few and far between. Owners know this, and have more business than they can handle, so they do not care if you take your business elsewhere.

You may run into those that talk down to you, or typical knuckle dragging Cro-Magnon testosterone types. If so just ignore. I know here in Norcal, there are several shops that have female employees. I'm sure there is a similar shop down south where they will treat you with respect.

It sounds like you've got the right plan. Invest in quality training with a good instructor, shoot a bunch of stuff, buy what works best for you.

If you are buying your first firearm, you'll find the following to generally be true:

For home defense, nothing beats remington 870 12 gauge shotgun.

If you are buying a handgun, you will here lot's of people say lot's of things. Generally:

- Revolvers are more accurate than semi automatic handguns
- The caliber that you should buy your handgun chambered in, is the one you can shoot accurately, that has cheap enough ammo to practice a lot with
- The gun you should choose is the one that fits your hand, and is easy for you to shoot accurately. Sometimes what 'feels good' and what you shoot well are two entirely different things.
- people will recommend certain brands that they love. Most modern handguns are generally reliable. Anything from CZ, Glock, Beretta, H&K, Springfield etc. should serve you well.

The ladies here are a great resource, they even got my wife to go out shooting with me (a miracle to be sure).

Happy Shooting,

-Freq

Last edited by Freq18Hz; 02-18-2013 at 3:41 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 4:38 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations!