Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms > Rimfire Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Gallery Post pictures of your rimfire rifles and handguns here!

Old 08-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Default Pictures: Ruger 10/22s as M1 Garand and M1 Carbine

Last year, I wrote a review/how-to on "dressing up" a Ruger 10/22 as a M1 Carbine:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1385528

Thanks to a fellow CalGunner, my WWII collection is nearly complete. Here are two Ruger 10/22s, modified to resemble a M1 Garand and a M1 Carbine:

Obviously, the authenticity just isn't there:

But as training rifles for the young and new shooters (and for the homage factor alone), they'll do.

P.S. Next step...M1 Thompson?
"The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." William Francis Butler (not Thucydides)

Last edited by butlers; 08-22-2018 at 12:06 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 9:55 AM

Update:
- I swapped out the rear sight on the M1 Garand clone from a Williams target sight to an actual M1 Garand rear sight (I had to use Sarco's M1 Garand-style rear sight base for the Ruger 10/22).
- I swapped out the front sight on the M1 Carbine clone by calling Ruger customer service and asking them to send me the front sight that they sell for their clone. Ruger charged me $10 (5 for the sight, 5 for shipping). I then got an actual M1 Carbine rear sight, drilled out space for a screw, and then screwed it into the top of the receiver (it's not pretty, but it's functional). The Tech Sights -- while great -- were too "high-profile" for my taste.

So, here's what I started with:

And here's what I ended up with:

I think it looks a lot more like the original pair (not my photo; pulled from a Google Image search):
"The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards." William Francis Butler (not Thucydides)

Last edited by butlers; 10-05-2018 at 10:12 AM..
Old 10-05-2018, 10:02 AM

That garand looks awesome!

Last edited by 1911man; 10-05-2018 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Spell
Old 10-28-2018, 6:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Holy funballs, that’s awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto99 View Post
Please stop using logic and reason.
Old 10-28-2018, 7:46 PM

I loved my Carbine clone...light and handy like the original. I had Tech Sights and introduced quite a few people to shooting with that rifle.

I liked the kit so much I ordered the Thompson kit and picked up another 10/22. Unfortunately it arrived with a couple screws missing, then when they did arrive I found the quality of the kit to be lacking. I played with it a bit for a couple of weeks then sold the kit off with full disclosure of my thoughts for $100 and gave the stock 10/22 to my father.

Really cool there’s a Garand clone. Great combo you’ve got there!
Old 10-29-2018, 1:37 PM

Why not just pickup a Citadel M1 22lr Carbine?
Maybe not the same build quality as a Ruger, but I have over 1,000 rds downrange with no issues. YMMV.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Here are some comparison pictures, along with my commentary.

This is a USGI M1 Carbine (picture from Wikipedia):

Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A

This is a Chiappa/Citadel/Legacy M1-22 (Model #500.082), with proprietary 10-round magazine (my picture):

Pros: most resembles a genuine M1 Carbine in form/function
Cons: it's not a Ruger 10/22 (i.e. reliability/track record, after-market, etc)

This is my M1 Carbine "clone" built off a Ruger 10/22, customized with Sarco M1 carbine stock, Ruger 10/22 M1 Carbine front sight (see previous posts), Sarco M1 Carbine rear sight (modified to take a Ruger scope/rail screw and screwed into the rear-most factory-drilled/tapped hole of the receiver), 1022FunGun magazine extension on a standard Ruger 10-round rotary magazine, Sarco sling/oiler, and Sarco magazine pouch) (my picture):

Pros: it's a Ruger 10/22; the sights better resemble actual M1 Carbine sights
Cons: not as authentic as the Chiappa; the rear sight is a DIY project

This is my M1 Carbine "clone" built off a Ruger 10/22, customized with Sarco M1 Carbine stock, Tech Sights' TSR100 front and rear sights, 1022FunGun magazine extension on a standard Ruger 10/22 10-round rotary magazine, and Sarco sling/oiler (my picture):

Pros: it's a Ruger 10/22; Tech Sights are legitimately designed for the 10/22
Cons: not as authentic as the Chiappa; the sights don't resemble M1 Carbine sights

Finally, this is Ruger's 10/22 M1 Carbine (Model #21102) (picture from Ruger website):

Pros: it's a Ruger 10/22; comes straight from the factory like this
Cons: not as authentic as the Chiappa; that rear sight + rail....

Hope this helps others with their buying/build decisions.